Texas Fishing Forum

Another Pit Bull victim

Posted By: bigrebar

Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 02:20 PM

A Texas man has died after being attacked by three dogs, resulting in having his legs and an arm amputated.

Nicolas Vasquez was taken to the hospital on June 9 after a neighbor, Calvin Stoy, discovered him being mauled in Huffman, Texas.

"I thought I heard a moan. I heard the dogs barking. So I went to the corner of my yard here, and I heard another moan," Stoy told Fox 26 Houston.

Once Stoy approached the ditch where Vasquez was located, he shined his flashlight and scattered the dogs. He then called 911. Stoy says the dogs were a mix of pit bull breeds.
The victim's niece, Kelly Vasquez, says the dogs were basically eating her uncle alive.

"His body couldn’t take it anymore," said his niece.

Vasquez and Stoy added that the dogs were not friendly and would often chase people walking by as well as bark and attack kids.

Other residents told Fox 26 that the victim suffered an ankle bite from two of the dogs two months ago.
The district attorney's office and investigators are expected to meet to determine if the owners should be charged. The dogs have been taken into custody by animal control.

"First of all, it’s a crime to let your dogs run loose like that. I think he should face manslaughter, said Stoy.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 02:22 PM

Sad story....but why were these dogs / owners not reported or held accountable for the first few incidents?
Posted By: flashman252

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 02:31 PM

Also would like to see the upbringing and environment of these dogs. There is always a crazy one that has no hope and those ones are put down. I am still a strong believer that you treat a dog right, they are buddies for life no matter what breed they are. There is always the fluke animal that has a freak accident and at the end of the day they are animals. I would say 90% of these attacks are because the dogs were essentially brought up this way.

My brother was only 9 months old when our lab bit him in the face. Sweetest dog growing up and even only being 4 years old, I LOVED THAT DOG and still have memories playing with him. We had a big 4th of July bbq at the house, it was insanely hot, parents weren't watching my brother. He crawled over to the dog was messing with an already stressed out animal, and a 90lb lab snapped one time at a little 9 month old crawling baby. The incident was catastrophic for my brothers face and I still remember my mom holding my brother face down and skin just hanging from his face.

Was the dog bad? Absolutely not. Was it failure to recognize the situation on the owners part, absolutely. My dad rushed my mom, my brother and the dog off. My mom and brother were dropped off at the hospital, my dad went 20 minutes away to an empty lot and rid the dog right there with a .357. When the docs asked where the dog was, my dad only said "that's been taken care of."

Even the best dogs and breeds in the world can and will snap in certain conditions. They are animals. Blatant attacks and eating human flesh.... this isn't a breed issue, this is 100% the way these dogs were raised issue. Owners need to be held 100% responsible.
Posted By: YEE_YEE

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 02:34 PM

1.Common sense dog laws
2. Background checks on dog ownership
3. Red "dog" flags
4. ?
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by flashman252
Also would like to see the upbringing and environment of these dogs. There is always a crazy one that has no hope and those ones are put down. I am still a strong believer that you treat a dog right, they are buddies for life no matter what breed they are. There is always the fluke animal that has a freak accident and at the end of the day they are animals. I would say 90% of these attacks are because the dogs were essentially brought up this way.

My brother was only 9 months old when our lab bit him in the face. Sweetest dog growing up and even only being 4 years old, I LOVED THAT DOG and still have memories playing with him. We had a big 4th of July bbq at the house, it was insanely hot, parents weren't watching my brother. He crawled over to the dog was messing with an already stressed out animal, and a 90lb lab snapped one time at a little 9 month old crawling baby. The incident was catastrophic for my brothers face and I still remember my mom holding my brother face down and skin just hanging from his face.

Was the dog bad? Absolutely not. Was it failure to recognize the situation on the owners part, absolutely. My dad rushed my mom, my brother and the dog off. My mom and brother were dropped off at the hospital, my dad went 20 minutes away to an empty lot and rid the dog right there with a .357. When the docs asked where the dog was, my dad only said "that's been taken care of."

Even the best dogs and breeds in the world can and will snap in certain conditions. They are animals. Blatant attacks and eating human flesh.... this isn't a breed issue, this is 100% the way these dogs were raised issue. Owners need to be held 100% responsible.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 02:49 PM

Lots of chihuahuas grow up without a father in broken homes and never mauled someone. Just saying.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 02:51 PM

I was bitten last week by a big lab.. was at appointment and owner was there as well. She had 8 rescue dogs she had adopted. I waited outside fence as they were all going nuts. She said it would be fine. I came on in, made friends with most of them real quick but they were excited and jumping all around. Later on I'm walking around the house with owner and a big lab ran in from behind me and bit my calf viciously. I tried to act like it was no big deal until I knew I was bleeding. Walked it off but it hurt like hell. Later on she said that the only other person it had ever bitten was her brother. First time I've been bitten by any animal in over 50 years.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by YEE_YEE
1.Common sense dog laws
2. Background checks on dog ownership
3. Red "dog" flags
4. ?

Absolutely. If it will save one child...
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 03:01 PM

I think I read in a different article that they had to move the school bus stop due to those dogs.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 03:13 PM

I have been bitten by a greyhound. I was riding my bike when it ran out of a neighbor's open gate and sank its teeth into my hip. I've also been bitten on the back of the leg by a miniature pinscher. My uncle's German Shepherd bit my sister just above her breast when we went to his house as kids.

I guess I look at things differently. Bad things sometimes happen. I'm not in favor of outlawing or killing all dogs of any breed because one or two out of 30 million Texans dies every year or so.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Monty Wright
I think I read in a different article that they had to move the school bus stop due to those dogs.

Good grief, doesn't anyone in Huffman own a gun? When you see dogs acting like that just shoot them and be done with it.

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Davis

[Linked Image]

Exactly... when I can, I still make my mom and dad feel bad about that moment. That dog did nothing wrong but you put any animal in a vulnerable situation, they will always protect their self. I still get a little bugged every time I think of Ol Dude dog. He was a goodin who got the shaft way too young. My dad to this day has no remorse over the whole situation but my mom still thinks it was handled all wrong. Either way, it wasn't the dogs fault, it was the owners fault and that was the point I was trying to drive home here.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 03:29 PM

[Linked Image]

Exactly... when I can, I still make my mom and dad feel bad about that moment. That dog did nothing wrong but you put any animal in a vulnerable situation, they will always protect their self. I still get a little bugged every time I think of Ol Dude dog. He was a goodin who got the shaft way too young. My dad to this day has no remorse over the whole situation but my mom still thinks it was handled all wrong. Either way, it wasn't the dogs fault, it was the owners fault and that was the point I was trying to drive home here.

Add me to the list of men that felt like your dad did-
No matter the reason it happened I would want to make sure that it never happened with that dog again-

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by steveiam

[Linked Image]

Add me to the list of men that felt like your dad did-
No matter the reason it happened I would want to make sure that it never happened with that dog again-

Should of never happened in the first place though. No matter what, the dog was done. If my dad did not off him on his own, the hospital was going to make a CYFD case and the dog would of been removed from the house anyways. I do get your point and think it is valid but it should of never came to that. Animals can and will become stressed out. Put them away at large gatherings. God forbid, don't leave a little baby unattended to crawl into a dogs space and let him smack him around on the face and pull on his tail in a stressful environment. I am sure my brother had done that with Dude before in the house in a more controlled environment without all the stressors and I am sure Dude licked and was appropriate with him. Hell I grew up with Dude from newborn to that point and obviously he never attacked me. July 4th, outside at 90-100 degrees, 20 people around making noise on the back porch, the dog had found a corner, away from the chaos and started getting picked on. My parents should of known better and never let a baby around a dog with all of that going on.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Razorback
I have been bitten by a greyhound. I was riding my bike when it ran out of a neighbor's open gate and sank its teeth into my hip. I've also been bitten on the back of the leg by a miniature pinscher. My uncle's German Shepherd bit my sister just above her breast when we went to his house as kids.

I guess I look at things differently. Bad things sometimes happen. I'm not in favor of outlawing or killing all dogs of any breed because one or two out of 30 million Texans dies every year or so.

Big difference though. Sure lots of dogs can bite. But there is only one breed that constantly kills people.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 04:12 PM

There are too many cases of pits raised in a family environment around kids, fed well, treated well, and exercised well and then one day they eat someone’s face or arms. It is the breed. Ownership can make a difference, but it cannot overcome the breeding these dogs have gone through.
Posted By: RickS.

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 04:13 PM

I'll trust a pit bull before I trust a politician

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by RickS.
I'll trust a pit bull before I trust a politician

yes

Or a german shepherd
Posted By: TR176

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 04:34 PM

Lucky for us it’s always the other one or two and not you or me.
Posted By: otay michael

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 05:31 PM

Owning pit bulls is just playing Russian Roulette with your kids or neighbors. It's not if, it's when with a great many of them, no matter the love of lack of given them!!! I say let folks keep them, but if they rip someone's face off, they should have theirs ripped off too. Kill someone, they should die. That might slow the pit bull ownership down a bit. mad
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 05:39 PM

[Linked Image]

Had to post it again with all the GS danger talk!
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 06:02 PM

When my kids were little my wife's co worker friend invited us to go out to dinner and their 16 year old daughter was going to baby sit at their apartment. We showed up , walked in and they had 2 Pit Bulls slobbering around in the living room. I politely said, "I'm sorry, but we won't leave our 3 and 5 year old girls here with those dogs in the house. The couple got very defensive and insulted and said their dogs had never bitted anyone. I politely said , "yeah, well there's Rattlesnakes that live under my barn that have never bitten anyone either" We left with our kids. The co worker "friend" never spoke to my wife again.

They do make good ballistic test targets though.

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B

Big difference though. Sure lots of dogs can bite. But there is only one breed that constantly kills people.

How often does something have to happen before it is referred to as "constant"? Between 2010 and 2021, twelve years, there were 185 people killed by pit bulls. That comes out to about 15 per year. With a population of 330 million that means you have a 1 in 22,000,000 chance of being killed by a pit bull this year. Of course 54 of those victims were the dogs' owners, so if you don't own a pit your odds go down to 1 in 30,275,000.

The odds of winning the Lotto Texas jackpot are 1 in 25,827,000 so if you are worried about being killed by a pit bull you should probably buy lottery tickets constantly so you can at least die a multi-millionaire.

Just putting things in perspective...

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by ReelSlow
When my kids were little my wife's co worker friend invited us to go out to dinner and their 16 year old daughter was going to baby sit at their apartment. We showed up , walked in and they had 2 Pit Bulls slobbering around in the living room. I politely said, "I'm sorry, but we won't leave our 3 and 5 year old girls here with those dogs in the house. The couple got very defensive and insulted and said their dogs had never bitted anyone. I politely said , "yeah, well there's Rattlesnakes that live under my barn that have never bitten anyone either" We left with our kids.

This is a perfectly reasonable response. I would do the same thing if they had German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Dobermans, Chows, Huskies, or even a house full of Chihuahuas. My wife's family had a beagle when she was in high school. It nipped me when I tried to pet it and bit her through the nose badly enough that she had to have stitches.
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 06:19 PM

We have one and I about shot it with my Glock 43 before it killed my bird dog because me and my buddy who is a big ol boy could not get him to let go. We finally got em split up 40 something stitches later and 800 dollar vet bill that episode was over. Then a year or two went by it went after me. Luckily I was a little quick than him. Great dog 99.9 percent of the time but that .1 is some scary stuff. Want nothing to do with them. Lets just say I love my wife because that dog should have been dead a long time ago.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 06:20 PM

How often does something have to happen before it is referred to as "constant"? Between 2010 and 2021, twelve years, there were 185 people killed by pit bulls. That comes out to about 15 per year. With a population of 330 million that means you have a 1 in 22,000,000 chance of being killed by a pit bull this year. Of course 54 of those victims were the dogs' owners, so if you don't own a pit your odds go down to 1 in 30,275,000.

The odds of winning the Lotto Texas jackpot are 1 in 25,827,000 so if you are worried about being killed by a pit bull you should probably buy lottery tickets constantly so you can at least die a multi-millionaire.

What are the mangled numbers?

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by rj74955

I don't know. What are the odds of getting 5 numbers instead of 6?

I don't have a pit bull although I used to have a 75% pit, 25% lab mix. Huge jaws. I wouldn't have wanted it to clamp down on me. Incredibly sweet dog, used to try to jump in the bed and sleep against me. I just hate to see overreactions fueled by media reports and sensationalism.

I wouldn't let my kids or wife stay in a house with someone else's pit bull. I also wouldn't try to get their dogs taken away or euthanized because I have read media reports about someone else's dog mangling someone. A lot of the people who have pits and Rottweilers have them for a reason, because they think it is cool or macho to have a mean dog. They probably raise them that way. My mom was about as country as a person can get. She toted her own 16 gauge and would go down to the chicken house at 3 a.m. to kill a snake, possum, or anything else that got in. She had a huge Doberman and didn't want anyone to pet it because she wanted it to be a watchdog that would tear someone up. She later had a Chow. I was more worried about the Chow than the Doberman.
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by ReelSlow
When my kids were little my wife's co worker friend invited us to go out to dinner and their 16 year old daughter was going to baby sit at their apartment. We showed up , walked in and they had 2 Pit Bulls slobbering around in the living room. I politely said, "I'm sorry, but we won't leave our 3 and 5 year old girls here with those dogs in the house. The couple got very defensive and insulted and said their dogs had never bitted anyone. I politely said , "yeah, well there's Rattlesnakes that live under my barn that have never bitten anyone either" We left with our kids. The co worker "friend" never spoke to my wife again.

They do make good ballistic test targets though.

I had a co-worker that had one pit bull , she started dating a guy that had one pit bull . They introduced the dogs in a neutral environment and everything was fine . They eventually get married and the dogs were in the same house for about one year --- never had a problem . Then one day , for some unknown reason the two dogs just start going at it ---- full on war . The husband was there and both he and the wife couldn't separate the two dogs . Finally the dogs got pulled apart --- the entire dining area and living room looked like a war zone ---blood everywhere . All this while their 1 year old was in the kitchen . The husband took both dogs , put them in a their crates , took them out to the country and put a bullet in the back of their heads
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by rj74955

I don't know. What are the odds of getting 5 numbers instead of 6?

I don't have a pit bull although I used to have a 75% pit, 25% lab mix. Huge jaws. I wouldn't have wanted it to clamp down on me. Incredibly sweet dog, used to try to jump in the bed and sleep against me. I just hate to see overreactions fueled by media reports and sensationalism.

I wouldn't let my kids or wife stay in a house with someone else's pit bull. I also wouldn't try to get their dogs taken away or euthanized because I have read media reports about someone else's dog mangling someone. A lot of the people who have pits and Rottweilers have them for a reason, because they think it is cool or macho to have a mean dog. They probably raise them that way. My mom was about as country as a person can get. She toted her own 16 gauge and would go down to the chicken house at 3 a.m. to kill a snake, possum, or anything else that got in. She had a huge Doberman and didn't want anyone to pet it because she wanted it to be a watchdog that would tear someone up. She later had a Chow. I was more worried about the Chow than the Doberman.

I also had a 16 gauge, it was a pump, when I was young, wished I still had that one-
Them purple shells, purty!
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 06:36 PM

IMO, 1 in 22 million is one too many just because somebody wants a "bada$$" dog to compensate for their little talleywhacker.
Posted By: Donpilot

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Samsonsworld
Lots of chihuahuas grow up without a father in broken homes and never mauled someone. Just saying.

One of the meanest dogs out there. They have no fear.
Posted By: Donpilot

Re: Another Pit Bull victim - 06/22/22 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by otay michael
Owning pit bulls is just playing Russian Roulette with your kids or neighbors. It's not if, it's when with a great many of them, no matter the love of lack of given them!!! I say let folks keep them, but if they rip someone's face off, they should have theirs ripped off too. Kill someone, they should die. That might slow the pit bull ownership down a bit. mad

Many pit owners only have the clothes on their back, so no financial risk. The dogs are just look at me, I have a badass dog.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum