Texas Fishing Forum

I cannot understand this... How do people think?

Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 05:11 PM

Sure yall have seen the story about the 3 men who lost their lives on Lavon over the weekend.

For the life of me I cannot understand what would posses a man who cannot swim to get into a tiny plastic peddle boat, with 3 other men, and not one life jacket. If I could not swim that would be terrifying. Water and small plastic boats with no life jacket would be the last thing in the world I would think was a good idea.

My wife does not know how to swim (has no interest in learning despite my pushing that agenda) and she stays far back from the water at the lake or beach. Like a wise person would.

For the love of god these men were not more than a long cast from the bank! I saw the buoy markers they dropped where the boat sank... it was a brief swim to the shore and 3 of the 4 did not make it.

It got me thinking to how people process risk analysis as relates to their safety. Is there any situational awareness? Or do they just think "It wont happen to me?"

None of it makes sense to me. Please explain.
Posted By: GTrigg

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 05:17 PM

A person does not believe something bad will happen to them. Besides "no life jacket", there are so many things that I have dealt with over the past 35 years that people could have done to protected themselves and their property. But no, a large majority of the human race does not think they will ever be the victim.
Posted By: PondFish

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 05:18 PM

Not to make light of it but alcohol was probably involved. Even a good swimmer can drown if they take an unexpected trip into the water.
Posted By: RoadRunnerTR21

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 05:22 PM

Probably a combo of alcohol and Darwin.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by PondFish
Not to make light of it but alcohol was probably involved. Even a good swimmer can drown if they take an unexpected trip into the water.

Thats a good point.

I have made some really bad choices under the influence of the demon shine...

But I never thought to play Russian Roulette, and that in mind, is akin to what these poor guys choose to do.

Not much details on the deceased released that I have seen outside of that their names and that they were all related, but I would bet at least one of them if not all had kids and a wife... I just dont get it.
Posted By: DI

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 05:25 PM

Ive come to realize that 50% of people are really really stupid, 25% can make it through life with some help and listening to the 25% that actually use their brains.
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 05:26 PM

I think they should ban water.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by DI
Ive come to realize that 50% of people are really really stupid, 25% can make it through life with some help and listening to the 25% that actually use their brains.

i think it is
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 05:45 PM

The average IQ in this country is 100. The military determined an IQ below 83 makes it impossible for the individual to be a net contributor. It costs more to train, maintain, and manage than they can contribute. Even having them as janitors is more trouble than it's worth.

We have roughly 50 million people in this country with IQ levels in that range. Can't hold a job, but they can vote and procreate. Scary.
Posted By: DI

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by butch sanders
Originally Posted by DI

i think it is

The 80 tend
to
write sentences
this
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Samsonsworld

yes We need water control actually. No one needs more than 3 feet of water. All bodies of water should be restricted to 3 feet in depth maximum.
Posted By: bockscar

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Sure yall have seen the story about the 3 men who lost their lives on Lavon over the weekend.

For the life of me I cannot understand what would posses a man who cannot swim to get into a tiny plastic peddle boat, with 3 other men, and not one life jacket. If I could not swim that would be terrifying. Water and small plastic boats with no life jacket would be the last thing in the world I would think was a good idea.

My wife does not know how to swim (has no interest in learning despite my pushing that agenda) and she stays far back from the water at the lake or beach. Like a wise person would.

For the love of god these men were not more than a long cast from the bank! I saw the buoy markers they dropped where the boat sank... it was a brief swim to the shore and 3 of the 4 did not make it.

It got me thinking to how people process risk analysis as relates to their safety. Is there any situational awareness? Or do they just think "It wont happen to me?"

A lot of people that dont have experience boating or know what lake conditions can get like underestimate mother nature greatly when a little weather kicks up. A lot of those same people also dont pay much attention to weather forecasts. Not a good combo.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Davis

yes We need water control actually. No one needs more than 3 feet of water. All bodies of water should be restricted to 3 feet in depth maximum.

it would make it easier to determine whether the bass are shallow or not.
Posted By: Donpilot

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 05:57 PM

Reading elsewhere 2 boaters 'ran into some fog and hit the dam, apparently at considerable speed. Broke them up pretty good. I am glad my little boat has a variable speed motor. When things look bad, slow down!
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮

The pedal boat probably had a sign that said keep your arms and legs inside the vessel at all times.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 05:59 PM

It is what it is.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 06:22 PM

Sad deal, very preventable
Posted By: NoWeighers

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by 921 Phoenix
Originally Posted by Bob Davis

it would make it easier to determine whether the bass are shallow or not.

You mean there is water deeper than three feet??
Posted By: flashman252

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 07:09 PM

You can't fix stupid.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jpurdue
The average IQ in this country is 100. The military determined an IQ below 83 makes it impossible for the individual to be a net contributor. It costs more to train, maintain, and manage than they can contribute. Even having them as janitors is more trouble than it's worth.

We have roughly 50 million people in this country with IQ levels in that range. Can't hold a job, but they can vote and procreate. Scary.

That explains much.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by DI
Originally Posted by DI

i think it is

The 80 tend
to
write sentences
this

roflmao
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by reeltexan
Originally Posted by Jpurdue

That explains much.

And they drive... bang
Posted By: gdr_11

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 09:33 PM

When I was in high school my best friend’s dad drowned along with two other men. The smallest of the three was 350 lb, all were heavy drinkers and none could swim and yet they were in a 10 ft aluminim Sea King boat that had about 6” of freeboard with them in it and they went out in a large river running at Spring runoff volume. It was an acvident waiting to happen and it did.

Happens all the time.
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 09:45 PM

I have an Uncle that was significant in my life when it comes to taking me fishing . He couldn't swim and as a younger man , was scared to death of rivers and lakes . When I was twelve , he purchased a 14 ' Boston Whaler center console . He built downriggers on it so he could salmon fish out of Santa Cruz harbor . He wanted to earn extra money to buy his first house .
The first time I went with him , we went 10 miles offshore with 10 foot swells 6-8 seconds apart . He didn't have a single life jacket on board because he felt he would rather die quickly from drowning than suffer trying to survive in the ocean . I am 100% positive my parents had no idea how unsafe he was . Both times I went with him , I was so seasick that I had zero balance and had to crawl in the boat to position myself to puke for 6 hours straight .
Posted By: Tneel

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTR21
Probably a combo of alcohol and Darwin.

Could be another hold my beer and watch this. I hope this is not the case where their irresponsibility caused so much grief with their family.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 10:56 PM

Common sense goes away when having fun.
People won't like it but I think riding a motorcycle without a helmet and safety gear is extremely dangerous.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Allison1
People won't like it but I think riding a motorcycle without a helmet and safety gear is extremely dangerous.

I wouldn't ride in a big city now with or without a helmet. People just don't respect one another enough to ride in big cities.

I do ride here in Wyoming without one tho. I rode up to Devils Tower last sunday I saw one car in 60 Miles. The biggest threat here is a animal jumping out in front of you. I will say in 90% of the ride you can easily see a animal coming tho.
Posted By: otay michael

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/21/22 11:37 PM

I wouldn't ride in a big city now with or without a helmet. People just don't respect one another enough to ride in big cities.

I do ride here in Wyoming without one tho. I rode up to Devils Tower last sunday I saw one car in 60 Miles. The biggest threat here is a animal jumping out in front of you. I will say in 90% of the ride you can easily see a animal coming tho.

After surviving a motorcycle accident back in college (not my fault, long story), I think if there were no animals, nor other cars, i MIGHT consider not wearing a helmet, but not until then. cool
Posted By: Allison1

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/22/22 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by otay michael

After surviving a motorcycle accident back in college (not my fault, long story), I think if there were no animals, nor other cars, i MIGHT consider not wearing a helmet, but not until then. cool

Me too, here in Arlington. Ran off the road by high schoolers looking for a good time. Right down the road from where BigBob works.
Posted By: Flags

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/22/22 12:31 AM

I spent 25 years in the USN. If you knew how many sailors in the USN can't swim it would blow your mind.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/22/22 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by DI
Originally Posted by DI

i think it is

The 80 tend
to
write sentences
this

Actually the 5
Glad to meet another
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/22/22 02:35 AM

My mom could not swim even though her dad had a place and boat on the channel between Fox Lake and Long Lake north of Chicago. She made me take private swimming lessons at 5 years old at a scuba club in a 13' deep pool. When we moved to Texas I took all the Red Cross classes through Jr. Lifesaving along with survival swimming. Survival swimming was tough. We did 20 laps in in a 25 meter pool for warm ups. We had to jump off the 1 meter board hog tied with full clothing including long pants. My boat has more then enough life jackets and a throw ring. I do need to get use to wearing the kill switch which I normally forget.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/22/22 02:43 AM

My Grandfather was a lifeguard in Galveston in the 20's. The swimming test was get in the surf and swim from 61st pier to the coast guard station. about a six mile swim. Different times, much tougher people.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/22/22 03:47 AM

Dang. According to J I’m in the top 2 %. Thanks man!
Posted By: Jons3825

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/22/22 03:55 PM

My wife can not swim either, and no confidence in learning. She loves the boat and being out, and has her a comfy life vest she puts on for the duration. Her being Indian I guess makes it tolerable when it is over 100 out and I am not ready to leave... that or she is just awesome and enjoys the time with me.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: I cannot understand this... How do people think? - 06/22/22 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Flags
I spent 25 years in the USN. If you knew how many sailors in the USN can't swim it would blow your mind.

When I was in USN Boot Camp in 1973 , we had to pass a swim test if I remember right it was in the first couple days. I'm not sure where the ones that failed went but they were no longer in the Company I was in.

Now they teach them what pronouns to use to keep from hurting someone's feelings.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum