Texas Fishing Forum

Relative Passing Away - Clearing Possessions

Posted By: Sawhorse

Relative Passing Away - Clearing Possessions - 06/20/22 04:11 PM

(DFW Area) After someone passes away, and kids have taken what they were given and/or what they wanted to keep…are there organizations that will come and take everything else away? If so, could you provide a few? Thanks much!
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Relative Passing Away - Clearing Possessions - 06/20/22 04:20 PM

I’ve noticed around here, people take what they want out of the house, then hire an estate sale company to come in a sell everything else. They charge a pretty good percentage, but you get some extra bucks and you don’t have to deal with the sale. I think some of them will haul off anything left over. Might be worth looking into. Always difficult dealing with something like that.

Re: Relative Passing Away - Clearing Possessions - 06/20/22 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by HasBen
I’ve noticed around here, people take what they want out of the house, then hire an estate sale company to come in a sell everything else. They charge a pretty good percentage, but you get some extra bucks and you don’t have to deal with the sale. I think some of them will haul off anything left over. Might be worth looking into. Always difficult dealing with something like that.

Thanks a bunch HasBeen! Yeah, I think the family will take what they want, then they’re fine with everything being taken away (e.g. not concerned about any extra $’s from a sale).
Posted By: PondFish

Re: Relative Passing Away - Clearing Possessions - 06/20/22 04:33 PM

Salvation Army or Goodwill

For women's clothes specifically call around to a few women's shelters or organizations to see if they can use anything. They may also need bed linens and such.

Books, box up and go to HalfPrice Books and see what they will give you.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Relative Passing Away - Clearing Possessions - 06/20/22 04:53 PM

I think the salvation army will come if there is a good sized amount of stuff.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Relative Passing Away - Clearing Possessions - 06/20/22 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
I think the salvation army will come if there is a good sized amount of stuff.
There are certain things Salvation Army won't take, including refrigerators...but they used to take literally everything. Had them pick up a 20 year old Xerox copy machine back in 2004. I couldn't believe they'd take it. They are more selective now, though.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Relative Passing Away - Clearing Possessions - 06/20/22 05:49 PM

You may also try facebook community pages for that area. Some people will come haul everything away, just depends on how far you are from the city.

Re: Relative Passing Away - Clearing Possessions - 06/20/22 06:25 PM

Y’all are the best…thank you so much! cheers
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Relative Passing Away - Clearing Possessions - 06/20/22 06:54 PM

Sorry to hear you had to go through this Sawhorse. Brighter days ahead friend. cheers
Posted By: Flip Flop Fisher

Re: Relative Passing Away - Clearing Possessions - 06/20/22 07:07 PM

Just went through this with my parents house..kids took what they wanted, then my sister contacted a local firm to come in and take everything else out..they were going to sell the stuff at online auction, and they took everything (dishes, knick knacks, pictures, you name it)

paid her $2,000 dollars

in contrast..we did my mother in laws house before that..rented a dumpster and filled it with all her stuff that they hauled away (I guess to the landfill)..seemed like such a waste
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Relative Passing Away - Clearing Possessions - 06/20/22 08:20 PM

AmVets!! They will give it the Vets returning from duty, coming home with nothing but memories.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Relative Passing Away - Clearing Possessions - 06/20/22 09:13 PM

https://www.soulsharbordallas.org/

This is the only place I found that would take everything when my mom passed-
And they will come and pick it up if it’s a larger amount-
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Relative Passing Away - Clearing Possessions - 06/20/22 09:22 PM

You have a tough situation. When I die, hopefully one of y’all come to the garage sale. You’ll likely get a LOT of good fishing gear for next to nothing. My wife won’t know the difference between a Steez reel and an SLX.
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: Relative Passing Away - Clearing Possessions - 06/20/22 09:50 PM

I tried this when I was cleaning out my fathers house in Etex. Finally got tired and of them wanting a detailed list and I just carried it down to a few places and dropped it off.
Posted By: wytex

Re: Relative Passing Away - Clearing Possessions - 06/21/22 05:40 PM

Grapevine has GRACE, Grapevine relief and community exchange : https://www.gracegrapevine.org/
My Mom has taken many things down to them.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Relative Passing Away - Clearing Possessions - 06/21/22 06:46 PM

if you have a Habitat for Humanity store in your area,they will come pick up stuff.....
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum