Texas Fishing Forum

How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas?

Posted By: Jon

How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/19/22 10:24 PM

The snake ID thread got me to wondering how many different kind of rattlesnakes we have in Texas.

Just see how many you guess before you look at this link and post that number if you want. But don't tell the real answer so others can have the fun of missing the hell out of it too. roflmao

Rattlesnakes in Texas
Bonus question, which one is in Texas but not on that list?
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/19/22 10:36 PM

I didn't know TX had than many species. Pygmy rattlesnakes are supposed to be in east Texas, but they must not be common.
Posted By: Tneel

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/19/22 11:01 PM

Too many is the correct answer.

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/19/22 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by uncle_bagster
I didn't know TX had than many species. Pygmy rattlesnakes are supposed to be in east Texas, but they must not be common.
Well in that case, they missed 2.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/19/22 11:20 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Lots of them here on the ranch.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/19/22 11:23 PM

stompy flame OMG
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/20/22 12:04 AM

2 - Live and dead

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/20/22 12:36 AM

Stompy, where is your ranch? How many of those are this year's? those are some sizeable snakes!!
We've only killed two of this year's hatch but haven't seen any big ones around the place yet.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/20/22 12:38 AM

Evil critters

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/20/22 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jon
Stompy, where is your ranch? How many of those are this year's? those are some sizeable snakes!!
We've only killed two of this year's hatch but haven't seen any big ones around the place yet.

South of Breckenridge about 8 miles. Couple of those were this year but it's been a slow year for them. I believe the big freeze had an impact on them. My house and cabins area is about 2.5 acres, the most I've ever relocated out of this area in one year is 16. An average year would be 6-8 a year. I also see several more on the ranch.
Posted By: BPKlein

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/20/22 01:06 AM

Western Diamondback
Pygmy
Timber
Prairie
Masasauga
Rock

I think I’m missing one or two….
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/20/22 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Stompy
Originally Posted by Jon

South of Breckenridge about 8 miles. Couple of those were this year but it's been a slow year for them. I believe the big freeze had an impact on them. My house and cabins area is about 2.5 acres, the most I've ever relocated out of this area in one year is 16. An average year would be 6-8 a year. I also see several more on the ranch.

When you say relocate you do mean relocate its head from its body right ?
Posted By: Beak47

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/20/22 01:21 AM

We live on the north edge of the Hill Country and we used to “relocate” several a year but as Stompy mentioned the Artic Blast seems to have had a big affect on them. My wife used to run over a couple every year with her riding mower but nothing so far this year. I am not a fan……..and the drought and heat have knocked out what little grass we had around our house.

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/20/22 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jon

Thanks. We don't usually relocate any that are around the living areas and liable to get stepped on which averge is around 2 a year. But the ones that are out of our way get a pass. I think they make a big dent in the rodent population.

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/20/22 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Happykamper
Originally Posted by Jon

When you say relocate you do mean relocate its head from its body right ?

No, I don't kill them. They get relocated a ways away, like a mile so they don't come back.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/20/22 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jon
Originally Posted by Jon

Thanks. We don't usually relocate any that are around the living areas and liable to get stepped on which averge is around 2 a year. But the ones that are out of our way get a pass. I think they make a big dent in the rodent population.

Good for you on this. Around my house the rattlers are no bueno.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/20/22 02:53 AM

I used to encounter about a dozen a year out at a tank farm that sat on the Canadian River just North of Borger, 6 ft. Coontais were not unusual.
Posted By: machinist

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/20/22 04:21 AM

I know of at least 1 Pygmy rattlesnake den that was at my hunting buddy’s parent’s place on the Brazos.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/20/22 04:55 AM

We use to catch them in north Louisiana and sell them to LSU research facility in Shreveport for $125 apiece and they would milk them and make anti-venom.
Posted By: 9094

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/20/22 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by BPKlein
Western Diamondback
Pygmy
Timber
Prairie
Masasauga
Rock

Sidewinder and Mojave. These two are found in far west Texas.
Eastern Diamondback is also in Texas but figured you used it’s nickname Timber instead.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/20/22 07:25 PM

Saw one in Utah on a mule deer hunt that was pink. And no, I had not been drinking.
Posted By: Mo

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/20/22 07:41 PM

I have not seen a rattler since I left the Panhandle in '82. Have not missed them a bit. We have copperheads around the house once in a while.

MO
Posted By: Razorback

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/20/22 07:50 PM

I have seen one rattlesnake in my life. It was on a golf course outside Nacogdoches. We heard the rattle but didn't realize what we were hearing. It was enormous, the biggest venomous snake I have ever seen.
Posted By: Flags

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/20/22 07:53 PM

I am guessing:

Western Diamondback
Timber
Prairie
Canebrake
Pygmy
Sidewinder?

But the only ones I have personally seen are the Western DB, Prairie and Timber.

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/20/22 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by 9094
Originally Posted by BPKlein
Western Diamondback
Pygmy
Timber
Prairie
Masasauga
Rock

Sidewinder and Mojave. These two are found in far west Texas.
Eastern Diamondback is also in Texas but figured you used it’s nickname Timber instead.

Y'all got way more than I did! I find it hard to believe that article list left out Sidewinder and Pygmy
If you chopped much cotton in west Texas, good chance you whacked a sidewinder with a hoe at least once and likely more.
The tracks they leave are not forgetable after you've seen one. There were a lot more tracks than snakes seen and the wind will blow the tracks away quick enough. I haven't seen one in over 50 years.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: How many species of Rattlesnakes in Texas? - 06/20/22 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jon

It's funny you say that, we haven't seen near as many in Albany either the last year or so. 3 years ago it was everytime out it seemed we would bump into one.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum