Texas Fishing Forum

? Tool Identification

Posted By: DCmac

? Tool Identification - 06/19/22 09:07 PM

What was this pliers-like tool used for?
Picked up at flea market. Think it's bronze. 5-3/4" long. Not magnetic.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: gjarman

Re: ? Tool Identification - 06/19/22 09:16 PM

Just guessing, but maybe some kind of a Barbwire fencing tool.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: ? Tool Identification - 06/19/22 09:21 PM

Or pulling horseshoe nails?
Posted By: Dave-0

Re: ? Tool Identification - 06/19/22 09:27 PM

Reminds me of some old hog ring pliers.

Although I could see horse shoe pliers, I don't think the bronze/brass would hold up against steel nails very well.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: ? Tool Identification - 06/19/22 09:56 PM

Maybe old castrating tool. We called them bedeezerizers. People use elastic bands now.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: ? Tool Identification - 06/19/22 10:11 PM

looks like a mold, clean out the face of both sides and get a better picture. they used to use a similar tool to pour bullets for muzzle loads.

hard to tell with all the krap on it.
Posted By: Jon

Re: ? Tool Identification - 06/19/22 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by leethefishking
Maybe old castrating tool. We called them bedeezerizers. People use elastic bands now.

We called them berdeezos. The ones i was familiar with did the cutting out at the very end and perpendicular to the handles.There's some people I'd like to use those ones pictured above on . The elastic bands are too humane for the pos scumbags I'm thinking of.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: ? Tool Identification - 06/19/22 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
looks like a mold, clean out the face of both sides and get a better picture. they used to use a similar tool to pour bullets for muzzle loads.

hard to tell with all the krap on it.

X 2 19th Century beat up 8mm tool......Maybe!!
Posted By: Tneel

Re: ? Tool Identification - 06/19/22 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jon

We called them berdeezos. The ones i was familiar with did the cutting out at the very end and perpendicular to the handles.There's some people I'd like to use those ones pictured above on . The elastic bands are too humane for the pos scumbags I'm thinking of.

My grandmother had those berdeezos to crimp young bull calves. She later went to the bands and I've banded a few. Funny to watch them afterwards shaking their legs only to find their boys in the pen a few days later looking like jerky.
Posted By: gander

Re: ? Tool Identification - 06/19/22 11:10 PM

I get the allure to things like this, but it would be an easy pass for me. I would spend the $ on something I knew had value..just my opinion

Re: ? Tool Identification - 06/19/22 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tneel
Originally Posted by Jon

My grandmother had those berdeezos to crimp young bull calves. She later went to the bands and I've banded a few. Funny to watch them afterwards shaking their legs only to find their boys in the pen a few days later looking like jerky.

I bet that was a sight! roflmao
My Papaw made sure those didn't go anywhere except Grandma's cast iron skillet.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: ? Tool Identification - 06/20/22 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dave-0
Reminds me of some old hog ring pliers.

Although I could see horse shoe pliers, I don't think the bronze/brass would hold up against steel nails very well.

I was thinking hog ring pliers as well.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: ? Tool Identification - 06/20/22 01:47 AM

Being brass, I would say an old blacksmith tool for picking up hot steel.
Posted By: Dave-0

Re: ? Tool Identification - 06/20/22 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tneel
Originally Posted by Jon

Damn. There is a mental image I just can NOT un-see. roflmao
barf
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: ? Tool Identification - 06/20/22 11:43 AM

Nut cracker
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: ? Tool Identification - 06/20/22 12:21 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Emit R Detsaw

Re: ? Tool Identification - 06/20/22 02:59 PM

If it's brass, it could be a worn vintage gas pliers

Re: ? Tool Identification - 06/20/22 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Emit R Detsaw
If it's brass, it could be a worn vintage gas pliers

That's a good guess. I've been thinking of what non-sparking pliars might have been used for and didn't come up with anything.
To me, they look like an early version of electrical linemen's pliars but couldn't see why they would need bronze, unless because that could have been cast rather than forged. Whatever they are they've had some rough miles put on them.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: ? Tool Identification - 06/20/22 07:19 PM

It looks like a short version of the tongs the farrier uses when he shoes my horses.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum