Texas Fishing Forum

The Green Monster

Posted By: V-Bottom

The Green Monster - 05/18/22 02:02 AM

What do you think about that TALL green wall in that Boston Red Socks ball park. The rest of the wall from center field to right field is a heck of a lot smaller in height. The monster wall makes MORE difficult to hit a HR. Seems to me to be an illegal size wall . my 2 cents worth.
Posted By: Rescue Fire

Re: The Green Monster - 05/18/22 02:10 AM

It only takes about a 330' shot to clear it. That's not even warning track distance for left field in most ball parks. It has been like that forever. The bigger question is where Fenway stacks up against other parks in terms of rank of parks with the most HRs allowed
Posted By: Razorback

Re: The Green Monster - 05/18/22 02:17 AM

It may take away a line drive homer, but it allows a lot more fly ball dingers. Fenway is extremely short down both lines but deep to the power alleys and center field. It's an interesting park.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: The Green Monster - 05/18/22 02:22 AM

It’s 310 feet away from home plate, which is not very far for major league batters. The wall adds some strategy as well, and creates more doubles.

By contrast, right field down the line in Yankees Stadium is 314 feet from home plate, and down left field line is 318, and has a 4 foot fence. Literally a power hitter’s dream.
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: The Green Monster - 05/18/22 03:01 AM

I think it's pretty cool
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: The Green Monster - 05/18/22 03:05 AM

I think it's cool & would love to see a game in Fenway. Once of theses days I will.
Posted By: kjwolvy

Re: The Green Monster - 05/18/22 10:04 AM

It's what makes baseball cool. Every park can have its own dimensions.
Posted By: Space

Re: The Green Monster - 05/18/22 10:11 AM

All of the above plus it is HISTORIC.
Posted By: Teeners boat

Re: The Green Monster - 05/18/22 10:31 AM

Been there. A really cool historic place. Got to see a HR hit over the Monster. Had a great time while there as well.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: The Green Monster - 05/18/22 10:49 AM

And the 'Stros smoked Boston! Kyle Tucker with 6 RBI's. Dusty Baker has put together another good team!

Makes me want to bang a gong or garbage can lid or something!
Posted By: buda13

Re: The Green Monster - 05/18/22 11:43 AM

There is no such thing as an “Illegal Size Wall”. Look back at some of the classic ballparks during the era when baseball became Americas game. The Polo Grounds and The Baker Bowl are the top two that come to mind.

In the early 2000’s MLB approved a design for the reds new stadium that would have had a 40’ tall centerfield wall, which is a little taller than the monster. It’s not the design they went with, but worth noting that MLB approved it in the modern era.
Posted By: buda13

Re: The Green Monster - 05/18/22 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by RayBob

Makes me want to bang a dong or garbage can lid or something!

eeks roflmao Sorry buddy, couldn’t resist!
Posted By: PondFish

Re: The Green Monster - 05/18/22 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by V-Bottom
What do you think about that TALL green wall in that Boston Red Socks ball park. The rest of the wall from center field to right field is a heck of a lot smaller in height. The monster wall makes MORE difficult to hit a HR. Seems to me to be an illegal size wall . my 2 cents worth.

Are you new to baseball? The green monster has been there forever. Fenway is the second oldest park in baseball after Wrigley.
Knowing the idiosyncrasies of each park is a big part of the strategy of the game.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: The Green Monster - 05/18/22 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by buda13
Originally Posted by RayBob

Makes me want to bang a dong or garbage can lid or something!

eeks roflmao Sorry buddy, couldn’t resist!

roflmao cheers
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: The Green Monster - 05/18/22 04:11 PM

I am not a huge baseball fan but I would love to watch a game at Fenway and Wrigley just for the historic significance of both venues
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: The Green Monster - 05/18/22 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by BrandoA
I am not a huge baseball fan but I would love to watch a game at Fenway and Wrigley just for the historic significance of both venues

Same here, been to wrigley, my Chicago buddies I went with let it out to the folks seated around us that I was a Braves fan, they were merciless in giving me hell, it was a blast
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: The Green Monster - 05/18/22 09:17 PM

during batting practice the visiting teams outfielders will go to left field and practice playing the balls off the wall,..
pretty fun to watch...historic baseball field. clap
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: The Green Monster - 05/18/22 09:41 PM

its a historic field and I hope they never change it . Wade Boggs ( lefty hitter ) made a career out of hitting balls off the green monster . He fully admitted that his stats would not be as good if he played in a more normal field . Anyone that thinks it's easier to hit Home runs in that field because the that wall is just plain silly , doubles YES for sure .
I would suspect a lefty hitter would much rather try to hit a HR over Pesky's pole at 302 feet .
Posted By: BThomas

Re: The Green Monster - 05/18/22 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
It’s 310 feet away from home plate, which is not very far for major league batters. The wall adds some strategy as well, and creates more doubles.

By contrast, right field down the line in Yankees Stadium is 314 feet from home plate, and down left field line is 318, and has a 4 foot fence. Literally a power hitter’s dream.

I wouldn't call 314 and 318 a power hitters dream. It would be every hitters dream.
Posted By: COFF

Re: The Green Monster - 05/18/22 10:09 PM

I love a ballpark with some character built in to it. Fenway Park is perhaps the best examples of great character in a historic ballpark. Wrigley Field is still a great historical park, but they took out much of its character when they removed the brick wall with the ivy.

Another ballpark with great character is Enron Field Minute Maid Park. It used to be even better before they took the hill and the flagpole out of center field.

An example of a ballpark totally devoid of character is Globe Life Park. From the outside it looks like a blimp hanger. On the inside it just feels "blah". Now it is a very pleasant 72 degrees blah, but a blah all the same.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum