Texas Fishing Forum

What Kind of Tree?

Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 01:28 PM

I am still looking to plant some trees at the house. Would like to do 3 along our fence line in the back yard.

Was thinking about pear trees. But after some research they actually dont make pears and are considered garbage. They grow fast but die young and usually do some damage while they die, dropping large branches.

Looking for quick growth but nothing huge. Maybe 15-18 feet at full size. One that makes shade and such. You know... A tree. Not one that drops stupid nuts all over though. Those are out.

Help me out here arborisistsststs
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 01:39 PM

Grow some ganja heard it’s getting pretty popular and expensive
Posted By: RoadRunnerTR21

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 01:50 PM

What about bradford pear?
Posted By: HasBen

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 01:52 PM

Bradford pears are the devil. Grow fast, start splitting and failing around 10 years, and usually are gone by 20 years. I’ve cut enough of them off my property to know I don’t want to see another one.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 01:55 PM

Crape Myrtles tend to do well in your zone.
Posted By: Emit R Detsaw

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 01:57 PM

Dogwoods or Redbuds are nice in the 20-30 feet at maturity. Bit taller than you stated, but nice Spring colors and not trashy trees.
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson

this ^^
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 02:04 PM

I would go Crepe Myrtle too. Lots of different colors to choose from and easy to grow and maintain.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 02:05 PM

Bradford pears, as previously mentioned, suck
Posted By: Ghost4BH

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Derek 🐝
I would go Crepe Myrtle too. Lots of different colors to choose from and easy to grow and maintain.

Unless you’re cocoqueerie

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by TreeBass

this ^^

Did not even think about those. Might be a good option. Not crazy about the multi trunk look, but the blooms are nice, they fit my size requirements, and reading up on them they are hardy. That is a huge plus. Leading contender now.

Trees are so expensive... I was only half joking when I told the wife I was going to go into the woods near us find a few nice young trees and dig em up.

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 02:15 PM

Sensei has spoken.

Wonder where I can find some these. Going to have to look around a bit.

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by TexDawg

Every time I think about this "tree" project I think about you beaching about that pear tree and Coco killing his Crepe Myrtles.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Emit R Detsaw
Dogwoods or Redbuds are nice in the 20-30 feet at maturity. Bit taller than you stated, but nice Spring colors and not trashy trees.

+1 for Redbuds for that specific application
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 02:17 PM

The Magestic crepe Myrtle will eventually turn into a much larger version of the standard size. They can provide very decent shade.
Posted By: Ghost4BH

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮

Sensei has spoken.

Wonder where I can find some these. Going to have to look around a bit.

Fannin tree farm in frisco has tons. Also check out Schmidt’s Garden center on Cross Timbers.
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 02:22 PM

Foster Holly or Nellie Stevens Holly
[Linked Image]
Foster
[Linked Image]
Nellie
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 02:25 PM

Chinese Pistache is also a long-lived and beautiful tree in the Fall.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GLBoutdoors

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 02:28 PM

When Derek speaks, I listen.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 02:31 PM

Agree with the above +1 on the Crepe Myrtles and definitely no on the Bradford Pear.

Also really like Vitex (Texas Lilac/Monk Pepper)

[Linked Image]

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Scoundrel

+1 for Redbuds for that specific application

I planted several white dogwoods, eastern redbuds, and crepe myrtles on this property. Ground was too wet when they were trying to establish. The crepe myrtles root rotted and died. I replaced them with a couple specialty redbuds, the Forest Pansy Redbud. They are different. Same redbud flowering in the spring, then red leaves that turn more green during the late summer, But it's their fall colors that they are known for.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave-0

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 02:46 PM

If you have a pool in the back yard, you're going to LOVE those Crepe Myrtles!

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by TexDawg

Every time I think about this "tree" project I think about you beaching about that pear tree and Coco killing his Crepe Myrtles.

I have 3 of them, they are a beating. I have 3 live oaks also, equivalent beating, in fact I’m about to head out to clean up their debris in a bit
Posted By: Teeners boat

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 02:55 PM

Chinese Pistache Trees are nice, non invasive, etc.

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 02:56 PM

Dan here are list of some of the varieties you can look into and also choose a height variety that fits your needs.

https://neilsperry.com/2019/06/best-crape-myrtles-for-texas/
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Teeners boat

I would add Lace Bark Elm to this list. Have had both and had good success with them.
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 02:57 PM

That would be a great tree! I had one I planted at my old house and it was a great little tree.
Posted By: Hookem

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 03:02 PM

Our Chinese Pistache has started to drop its staining spring sheet.

Little? Ours is over 30 feet tall.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Beer Money

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dave-0

I swear that mine attracts every crepe myrtle flower in a 5 mile radius when the wind blows hard.

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 03:43 PM

This is great info!

Thanks for all the input. Derek good stuff. Jay I am going to check out that nursery on Cross Timbers. Its drive way beer close to me.

Several really nice suggestions but I am thinking Crepe Myrtle. I like that they grow more up and less out. There would not be enough room if they were to branch out on the horizontal plane a whole lot. A vertical growing tendency is more appropriate for what I have in mind.

Yall have done it again!

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 03:46 PM

PS No pool. I was pool curious for a while, we for sure have the room for a nice one, but with the wife not knowing how to swim and having no interest in learning... Its kind of a non starter ha.

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Beer Money
Originally Posted by Dave-0

I swear that mine attracts every crepe myrtle flower in a 5 mile radius when the wind blows hard.

Yes, been an especially bad year so far for pools
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 04:03 PM

I like trees
I don’t like trees in my yard
I don’t have trees in my yard
I like trees

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
Agree with the above +1 on the Crepe Myrtles and definitely no on the Bradford Pear.

[Linked Image]

Nice tree's and they are hard to kill. The hummingbirds love them!!!

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 04:16 PM

[Linked Image]

Nice tree's and they are hard to kill. The hummingbirds love them!!!
Originally Posted by Mudshark

That would be a great tree! I had one I planted at my old house and it was a great little tree.

cheers
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 04:18 PM

Yep. We have 30 at the lake house and about that many in Joshua. Buy the larger ones and just prune them back a little each spring.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 04:20 PM

[Linked Image]

Never knew the proper name, but we have one at the lake and it is beautiful and huge. You do need to trim it ocassionally, but great trees.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 04:21 PM

Cedar elm. Best choice out there.
Grows moderately fast, sturdy, small leaves, not brittle, not trashy, NO ACORNS or fuzzies. Does not shed bark constantly. Great habit and long life. Beautiful fall foliage.
Native to North Texas.

My favorite.

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

Grows moderately fast, sturdy, small leaves, not brittle, not trashy, NO ACORNS or fuzzies. Does not shed bark constantly. Great habit and long life. Beautiful fall foliage.
Native to North Texas.

My favorite.

That is a beautiful tree and if I had more room that would be a winner. Those things get HUGE though. I am wanting something of a more intermediate size. Really pretty trees though.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 08:15 PM

I am going to order about 75 from here to hide one of our duck ponds that is next to the road.

they have an extensive selection and you can shop by state.

https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy-_O2uGC9wIVBhmtBh0s4QuyEAAYASAAEgIcDPD_BwE
Posted By: Patriot7Six

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 08:37 PM

This is a good resource for Texas.

https://texastreeplanting.tamu.edu/
Posted By: Zipster

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 08:47 PM

silver leaf Maple.
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

Native to North Texas.

My favorite.

That is a beautiful tree and if I had more room that would be a winner. Those things get HUGE though. I am wanting something of a more intermediate size. Really pretty trees though.

Spot on, my neighbor has one. Squirrels love em too.

I hate it however, since the Allergy test showed that I am most allergic to Cedar Elms.

Which actually may bring up another consideration for Dan90210, if you have allergies, it may be wise to not get one high on your allergens list.

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Patriot7Six

That is a good link. Proper planting is key. Pay attention to the root flare part. Personally I hate trees, but it doesn't drive me crazy seeing them planted a foot too deep and a ton of dirt piled up around the trunk.

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 09:52 PM

That is a good link. Proper planting is key. Pay attention to the root flare part. Personally I hate trees, but it doesn't drive me crazy seeing them planted a foot too deep and a ton of dirt piled up around the trunk.

I like planting trees, that is probably a good thing. I've planted over 100 trees on my property in the past 8 years. Had about 2 acres of the property around the house that didn't have any landscaping done. About half of the trees are wind break trees. Been doing more shrubs and stuff the past couple. Planted 9 boxwood's today. I'm getting too old for this chit. LOL

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Zipster
silver leaf Maple.

No. I have had terrible results with these. Brittle fairly easily broken branches.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 11:17 PM

Plant a row of these and you will be the envy of the neighborhood.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 11:19 PM

Do you like Texas Mountain Laurels? They are pretty and the flower smells good.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pot licker

They are beautiful

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 11:26 PM

I like planting trees, that is probably a good thing. I've planted over 100 trees on my property in the past 8 years. Had about 2 acres of the property around the house that didn't have any landscaping done. About half of the trees are wind break trees. Been doing more shrubs and stuff the past couple. Planted 9 boxwood's today. I'm getting too old for this chit. LOL

If I had some property like you I would plant some trees. Just not a fan of them in the neighborhood, more hassle than what they're worth for me. But I am a turf fan. I do have 4 Crepe Myrtles. 3 are in a landscape setting and one in the back yard in the yard. I like them a lot, but if the one in the backyard makes me mad for any reason I have no issues taking a saw it.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/07/22 11:28 PM

These are both maple trees and are always full in color every fall.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Westside.

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/08/22 02:28 PM

Desert Willow or Chitalpa
Posted By: Ranger Bill

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/08/22 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by David Welcher
Originally Posted by Pot licker

They are beautiful

X2.
Posted By: Siberman

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/08/22 07:33 PM

Bradford pears : No .
Red Buds : Nice shade , pretty flowers in spring . Should last 20 or more years before splitting . Caveat : they make a lot of seed pods . Birds love them and poop them all over . Keep an eye on your flower beds . '
Silver Maples ( actually a poplar): beautiful tree with a nice fall color . Will produce new trees from the roots .so be diligent about cutting the suckers .
Crepe Myrtles : slow to leaf out but you can't beat the flower show . Mine usually flower about 4th of July . Propagate by seed but (IME) birds don't seem to care for them .
Fruitless Mulberry : Mom has one over 40 years old that's held up well . Nice spread and probably 25' tall . Since they're fruitless you don't have worry about purple bird poop .

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/08/22 07:41 PM

Here is a pic of my 4 year old flowering crab apple. Very nice spring color and the birds and squirrels enjoy the small fruit in the fall.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Space

Re: What Kind of Tree? - 04/08/22 11:42 PM

Check with your county extension office they should have a list of trees for your area.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum