Texas Fishing Forum

1MC announcement

Posted By: deerfeeder

1MC announcement - 04/02/22 03:57 AM

There are men working in the sail, do not raise, lower, rotate, or radiate, from any mast or antenna, there are men working in the sail. Dunno how many times I made that announcement, or heard it, standing below decks watch, in port, when I was on the boat, in Uncle's canoe club. If I only had a dollar or two for everytime I heard that.
Posted By: BassFever

Re: 1MC announcement - 04/02/22 04:07 AM

Huh
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: 1MC announcement - 04/02/22 04:25 AM

Re: 1MC announcement - 04/02/22 04:37 AM

Would love to help ya out Scags, but I was in an Atlantic fleet boat in the mid 70's. Was in the Med when we bailed out of Vietnam. Closest we came, was having to do an emergency blow to get to the surface when we had to dump the hydraulic cylinders and the planes weight put them on full dive. Oh, wasn't a lifer either. Got out, got a cop job in Kansas and before I could go to the academy, got hired by the Border Patrol and from there went on to become an special agent for Customs, which is now part of Homeland Security Enforcement. Traded rounds with Mexican dopers twice. Back then it wasn't a big deal like it is today.

And you Senor are wrong on the low income stuff too. Just not your day today.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: 1MC announcement - 04/02/22 02:58 PM

Aaarrrrrrggggghhhh!
Posted By: TR176

Re: 1MC announcement - 04/02/22 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by deucer02
Aaarrrrrrggggghhhh!

Matey!
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: 1MC announcement - 04/03/22 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by deerfeeder
There are men working in the sail, do not raise, lower, rotate, or radiate, from any mast or antenna, there are men working in the sail. Dunno how many times I made that announcement, or heard it, standing below decks watch, in port, when I was on the boat, in Uncle's canoe club. If I only had a dollar or two for everytime I heard that.

Is this Navy jargon?

Re: 1MC announcement - 04/03/22 03:49 AM

Yes. Sail is what was called the conning tower. It serves as a protection for all the masts, antennas, and the periscopes. It is out side the pressure hull though. In port, if any of the masts or antennas need work, repair, or maintenance, you have to tag all the hydraulic valve handles and switches that raise or lower them, because if someone is inside the sail working on it, or top side working on it, they could get crushed or have a nasty fall from the top of the sail/conning tower.
Posted By: RBDavis3591

Re: 1MC announcement - 04/03/22 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rayzor
Is this Navy jargon?

More Navy jargon from another "typical uneducated, low income military lifer who has been spoon fed a romanticized version of SERVING the country."

1MC (1 Main Circuit) is the term for the shipboard public address circuits on United States Navy and United States Coast Guard vessels. This provides a means of transmitting general information and orders to all internal ship spaces and topside areas, and is loud enough that all embarked personnel are (normally) able to hear it. It is used to put out general information to the ship’s crew on a regular basis each day. The system consists of an amplifier-oscillator group which is located in the IC/gyro room, a microphone control station, portable microphones at each control station and loudspeakers located throughout the ship. Control stations for the 1MC announcing system are located at the pilot house, OOD stations on the quarterdecks, aft steering and Damage Control Central area.

During an incident involving a casualty, the 1MC is a communication tool used by DCA (damage control assistant) to keep ship members alerted and informed of casualty location area, status, and incident response efforts by the DC organization.

The 1MC is divided into smaller sub-circuits, such as officer's quarters and topside. At the option of the officer of the deck, some details are not passed on certain circuits.[1]

The 1MC is also used for transmitting various alarm sounds to alert the crew of specific impending dangers such as an inbound anti-ship missile, chemical attack, collision, or a flight deck crash.
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: 1MC announcement - 04/03/22 12:32 PM

Now hear this. Now hear this.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: 1MC announcement - 04/03/22 12:48 PM

smoking lamp is lit!
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: 1MC announcement - 04/03/22 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Scagnetti

I see you deleted your comment, to big a Vag to leave it up I assume.
Posted By: Moto-Moto

Re: 1MC announcement - 04/03/22 01:58 PM

You squids are weird.
Posted By: Ranger Bill

Re: 1MC announcement - 04/03/22 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Moto-Moto
You squids are weird.

Yes they are. While in the Air Force, I spent a year with the squids at Naval Air Station Keflavik, Iceland. We ragged on each other pretty good but worked well together. In the end, got the mission done.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: 1MC announcement - 04/03/22 09:14 PM

Battle stations, battle stations. This is not a drill. That is the one I hated the most.

Re: 1MC announcement - 04/03/22 09:50 PM

It will wake you up in a hurry. Then the race is on, everybody going to where the Watch, Quarter, and Station bill says your battle station is as fast as possible. It can be done quietly if the sonar gang has a submerged contact. And like anything dot mil it can get totally FUBAR in a matter of seconds.

Re: 1MC announcement - 04/03/22 09:55 PM

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum