Texas Fishing Forum

Craftsman 20V cordless

Posted By: patriot07

Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/14/22 09:13 PM

Have used Dewalt for the last 7-8 years. But impact and drill are both giving out on me, and the dewalt batteries are stupid expensive and both of mine are dying. Craftsman is way, way cheaper and this is mostly homeowner use (both dewalt and craftsman are made in china). Has anyone used these newer craftsman cordless tools and has a strong opinion compared to the mainstays (milwaukee, rigid, dewalt, etc.)
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/14/22 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by patriot07
Have used Dewalt for the last 7-8 years. But impact and drill are both giving out on me, and the dewalt batteries are stupid expensive and both of mine are dying. Craftsman is way, way cheaper and this is mostly homeowner use (both dewalt and craftsman are made in china). Has anyone used these newer craftsman cordless tools and has a strong opinion compared to the mainstays (milwaukee, rigid, dewalt, etc.)

not so fast.

the USA
DEWALT was founded in America and is still based in America. Each of our 7 US manufacturing facilities produces some of our most popular tools, including grinders, drills, impact drivers, and reciprocating saws.

https://www.dewalt.com/why-dewalt/made-in-the-usa-with-global-materials/power-tools

I hauled from the pennsylvania place a few times, tool geek heaven in that warehouse.

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/14/22 09:29 PM

if you want good homeowner bang for the buck, home depot rigid have probably the best warranty and they are good tools.

craftsman sold out as part of sears bankruptcy, have not bought a power tool with that name since.
they used to be made by porter cable, no idea now.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/14/22 09:30 PM

Go Team Red, Milwaukee. 5 year warranty on the tools and M12/M18 come with 3 year warrany on batteries
Posted By: Dave-0

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/14/22 09:31 PM

Although I'm a Milwaukee guy, I've used most of the major brands. Never been or seen why, people like DeWalt tools. They make excellent bits, but they are owned by Black & Decker and seem to equate to that kind of quality to me. Not bashing any brand really, they all have good and bad qualities. Like you said, most of it is made in China now days. I only use Milwaukee because I am heavily invested in that brand and batteries. I probably use them more that just homeowner-ish duties also. I have many a Craftsman tool, just none that are battery powered. Most of the tools in my tool box (wrench's, sockets, ratchets etc, etc) are Craftsman. If I were to start over, I would be looking into Ridgid tools. Of the power tools I've used from them, I really like how they're set up. Would be interested to know what you get.
Posted By: 96speed

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/14/22 09:36 PM

I like the Ridgid stuff. Look at all of them and decide which brand has the lineup you like best. They are all a little different. DeWalt has a ton of options. I feel like Ridgid is better bang for buck.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/14/22 09:37 PM

Ryobi ftw.

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/14/22 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
Originally Posted by patriot07

not so fast.

the USA
DEWALT was founded in America and is still based in America. Each of our 7 US manufacturing facilities produces some of our most popular tools, including grinders, drills, impact drivers, and reciprocating saws.

https://www.dewalt.com/why-dewalt/made-in-the-usa-with-global-materials/power-tools

I hauled from the pennsylvania place a few times, tool geek heaven in that warehouse.

I just looked on both of my impact and drill and both are made in china, so that's what I was going off of. I do think they make the dewalt higher end stuff in america, but that's largely out of my budget.

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/14/22 09:42 PM

if you want good homeowner bang for the buck, home depot rigid have probably the best warranty and they are good tools.

craftsman sold out as part of sears bankruptcy, have not bought a power tool with that name since.
they used to be made by porter cable, no idea now.

I'm with you that I haven't bought a craftsman tool in a long time, since they moved manufacturing to china and didn't drop price to match quality

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/14/22 09:42 PM

Project Farm always has good, non biased videos. Here's his "best of power tools" lineup.

Project Farm tools.
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/14/22 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by RedRanger
Go Team Red, Milwaukee. 5 year warranty on the tools and M12/M18 come with 3 year warrany on batteries

^^^^^100%
Ridgid has adjusted their warranty. It now sucks.

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/14/22 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Duke 22

^^^^^100%

hmmm

PARTS, SERVICE & BATTERIES FREE FOR LIFE
https://www.homedepot.com/c/SF_TH_PR_RIDGID_Power_Tools_Warranty

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/14/22 09:52 PM

Did a little googling. Very interesting stuff.

"Who is DeWalt owned by?
Stanley Black & Decker
One, a whole bunch of the top power tool brands — including DeWalt, Black & Decker, Craftsman, Porter-Cable and more — are all owned by the same company, Stanley Black & Decker."

"Who owns Craftsman tools now?

Craftsman makes tools and equipment for everyone from DIYers to farmers and industrial manufacturers. They were the tool brand for Sears since the 1920’s before getting bought by Stanley Black & Decker at the beginning of 2017."
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/14/22 09:53 PM

I've gone with Makita.
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/14/22 10:06 PM

^^^^^100%

hmmm

Many of their former LSA tools now classify as 3 yr. Warranty. They still offer LSA on some but not all power tools. https://register.ridgidpower.com/about_lsa
Posted By: Wool E. Booger

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/14/22 10:09 PM

I have a set of the 20 volt brushless craftsman. They work fine for my use. Mostly light duty around the house and small construction projects. No problems and batteries hold up very good. If I was looking for a heavy duty daily type use, I would go with the 24 volt flex tools from lowes. Those things are a beast.
Posted By: PaulGrapevine

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/14/22 10:13 PM

I’ve done Dewalt and Ridgid. Went to Milwaukee a few years back. Milwaukee is superior in my opinion. I’m just a do it yourselfer but use my tools a lot. Check out the deal of the day on Home Depot today.

I use porter cable, had the 18v brushless for over 5 yrs and used the heck out of them, still work perfect.

switched from dewalt due to cost, had one of the first 14.4 kits when they hit colorado, just not the bang for the buck any more.

[Linked Image]

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/14/22 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by PaulGrapevine
I’ve done Dewalt and Ridgid. Went to Milwaukee a few years back. Milwaukee is superior in my opinion. I’m just a do it yourselfer but use my tools a lot. Check out the deal of the day on Home Depot today.

This is a damn good deal right here. M12 Fuel Hammer drill, Impact and ratchet. (get extra and cheaper batteries elsewhere.)
Milwaukee M12 drill, impact and ratchet
Posted By: justchillin

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/14/22 10:32 PM

Do not buy the Craftsman. I bought one fron Lowes earlier this year, and the first time I used it, the darn thing ran dead in a matter of minutes and seemed to lack power. Took it back to Lowes the next day for a refund and told them it was junk
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/14/22 10:44 PM

^^^^^100%

hmmm

For a homeowner this is what I’d use. Anyone that uses tools for a living the Milwaukee is a no brainer.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/14/22 11:34 PM

I have some V20 Craftsman stuff. Drill, Polesaw, 1/2” impact. Moderate use. Zero complaints.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/14/22 11:42 PM

If you want a cheaper brand go with the Ryobi.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/15/22 12:29 AM

Before I retired, I had tools at the house in Houston and tools here at the ranch. To keep costs down for two workshops, I bought a lot of Ryobi drill drivers, planning to upgrade when I retired. I expected the Ryobi gear to die quickly, but here we are a decade and a half later and nothing has died. And, I am fond of Milwaukee cordless tools also. It’s better than the Ryobi, but, like I said, the Ryobi won’t die. The workshop is a wood shop, and the drill drivers get mucho work.

I do have one warning about Ryobi. Buy nothing of theirs that has a spark plug.

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/15/22 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by 603Country
Before I retired, I had tools at the house in Houston and tools here at the ranch. To keep costs down for two workshops, I bought a lot of Ryobi drill drivers, planning to upgrade when I retired. I expected the Ryobi gear to die quickly, but here we are a decade and a half later and nothing has died. And, I am fond of Milwaukee cordless tools also. It’s better than the Ryobi, but, like I said, the Ryobi won’t die. The workshop is a wood shop, and the drill drivers get mucho work.

I do have one warning about Ryobi. Buy nothing of theirs that has a spark plug.

I'm all ryobi. Never been disappointed.
Posted By: AirForceAngler

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/15/22 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
Ryobi ftw.

thumb

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/15/22 02:15 AM

Did not know that about Rigid. I have their corded circular saw and it's a beast but I never like to see companies going backwards on warranty.

My main issue is my batteries are dying and I also want a sawzall, but dewalt charges a fortune for their batteries. Turns out Dewalt is running a deal on their new power stack batteries - buy a 2 pack and get a bare tool free. So for now I'm going to go with that and if/when my drill or impact finally dies, I'll buy a bare tool at that time. There aren't any tools I use more than my drill and impact driver so it doesn't make sense to go cheap.
Posted By: PaulGrapevine

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/15/22 03:04 AM

The name brand tool companies run a few sales a year. Never pay full price for stuff. The deal of the day thing at home depot is an example of it.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/15/22 03:28 AM

I got a circular saw and sawzall for Christmas 2020. So far I'm happy. In fact the sawzall will out cut my corded Milwaukee Sawzall. I just finished building a stick lumber 16x32 shed and used both.
Posted By: CKINCAID

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/15/22 03:29 AM

Ryobi ftw.

Stop trolling roflmao
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/15/22 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by John175☮
I've gone with Makita.

Me too! Their 18 volt system and tool assortment is pretty awesome. You can combine two to make a 36 volt tool like their chain saw or use only one battery for drills, impact wrenches weed eaters and lots more. All batteries are interchangeable within this tool line.
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/15/22 03:58 AM

Black and yellow all day . You hippies have fun in your she shed !

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/15/22 06:46 AM

Best deals on Milwaukee are the Bundle/Combo packs they sell on major holidays at Home Depot, you can usually get 8 to 12 tool and 3 batteries that are 5.0 for around $600, that comes out to about half price if you buy the cordless tool as a single unit price.
Posted By: Hogfan1

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/15/22 09:02 AM

The new ryobi stuff is actually pretty good but I went with Makita. The batteries charge quickly and they have a huge amount of stuff for them. There isn’t a whole lot of price difference when you sit and figure it. I think my makita drill set was $230 and the ryobi was $180. Makita runs specials quite often where you get free batteries or a free tool of your choice.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/15/22 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dave-0

This is a damn good deal right here. M12 Fuel Hammer drill, Impact and ratchet. (get extra and cheaper batteries elsewhere.)
Milwaukee M12 drill, impact and ratchet

I have this package. the only thing I find to be troublesome is the batteries.
they are kind of a pain to take off the tool.
on a side note: that bag is worth 50 bucks...…...
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/15/22 12:19 PM

Go look at what serious mechanics use and it is all Milwaukee. They use theirs day in/day out all day long and they just keep going.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/15/22 12:29 PM

I have a pile of cordless tools, Porter Cable, Hitachi, Ryobi, Kobalt off the top of my head.

For home use Ryobi is hard to beat and batteries can be bought fairly cheap. I’m sure Craftsman would do fine for home use too.

The 24 volt Kobalt tools I have have held up really well and have been used for more then just normal weekend stuff. I let a contractor that was helping me with some re model work use my Kobalt sawsall and he was impressed, it’s stout, same for the cordless Kobalt drills I have.

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/15/22 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by CKINCAID
Ryobi ftw.

Stop trolling roflmao

Best bang for the buck on the market. I ditched my craftsman and never looked back. Now have the 40V weed wacker and blower. best investment yet.

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/15/22 01:37 PM

I did say good things about Ryobi, which was true, but during the big freeze of 2021, I needed a battery powered sawzall. All I could find was a very expensive Milwaukee M18 Fuel, so I bought that reluctantly. My Lord, that thing is a beast. And now I have a corded Ryobi sawzall that is free to whoever wants it.
Posted By: SoonerDG

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/15/22 04:11 PM

Offering up my .02. I'd stick with one of the commercial brands...Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita. They're all pretty comparable. The rigid, craftsman, ryobi, black and decker, etc are really made for homeowners. As with sawzall above there is a NOTICABLE difference in power and torque between the commercial brands and the homeowner brands. I'm partial to dewalt but mostly because i'm heavily invested in their batteries and chargers, which are the biggest expense in power tools. There are some great dewalt package deals out there right now that include multiple batteries and a charger. All that said, if you really want the homeowner type tools i'd also consider Kobalt. Never owned one but they seem pretty decent when I've handled them in the store.

that's my 2 cents for what it's worth.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/15/22 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerDG
Offering up my .02. I'd stick with one of the commercial brands...Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita. They're all pretty comparable. The rigid, craftsman, ryobi, black and decker, etc are really made for homeowners. As with sawzall above there is a NOTICABLE difference in power and torque between the commercial brands and the homeowner brands. I'm partial to dewalt but mostly because i'm heavily invested in their batteries and chargers, which are the biggest expense in power tools. There are some great dewalt package deals out there right now that include multiple batteries and a charger. All that said, if you really want the homeowner type tools i'd also consider Kobalt. Never owned one but they seem pretty decent when I've handled them in the store.

that's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

your 2 cents is only worth 1 cent these days...…. banana

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/15/22 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by tx_basser
Go look at what serious mechanics use and it is all Milwaukee. They use theirs day in/day out all day long and they just keep going.

Milwaukee if you make a living using your tools. I don't know any other companies that has so many industry specific cordless tools. Milwaukee brings out new tools almost every few months. They by far have the biggest selection of cordless tools.

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/15/22 08:41 PM

I had this Glock cerakoted team Red

[Linked Image]

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/15/22 09:55 PM

Ok, you should win something for that!

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/15/22 09:57 PM

For when you need the big boy toys....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Teeners boat

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/16/22 10:41 AM

Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch and for the big boy toys it would have to be Hilti and they have a whole new line of cordless tools Hilti Nuron. I know the Hilti line of corded tools are very good tools.

https://www.hilti.com/make-it-fit/tools?voltage=Nuron
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/16/22 12:19 PM

Project Farm on Youtube is a good site for tool reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpjBJ8aQ3NE
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Craftsman 20V cordless - 03/16/22 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by uncle_bagster
Project Farm on Youtube is a good site for tool reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpjBJ8aQ3NE

I follow Project Farm. Good reviews with some apples to apples torture testing. grin
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum