Texas Fishing Forum

For you Retired Guys...

Posted By: tx_basser

For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 04:50 PM

What does your normal day/week look like? I keep trying to envision what it looks like...

Morning: Coffee, Bfast, TFF, Look out Window,
Lunch: Sandwich, Chips, Water
Afternoon: Power Nap, Coffee/Snack, More TFF, etc.

Hobbies: Golf Weekly, Fishing Weekly, Yardwork, House Maintenance, Hunting, Archery Shoots, Travel (3 trips per year), etc.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 04:57 PM

You left out the best parts: babysitting the grandkids and recovering from babysitting the grandkids.
Posted By: BriannShell

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 05:09 PM

Close but not there yet....you need to work on your lunch menu!
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 05:12 PM

I'm practicing, still sitting in my recliner in my underwear drinking coffee.
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by ko bass attack 27
I'm practicing, still sitting in my recliner in my underwear drinking coffee.

^1
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 05:17 PM

All kinds of stuff, all at my own dagummed pace. It is quite awesome actually. There is always yardwork or something that needs fixin or cleanin'. Playing guitar, harmonicas, learning to play a dobro, having a music jam with friends, lunch with friends, shopping with the missus, taking the boat out fishing, taking care of finances, bluegrass jams, bluegrass festivals, RV camping at festivals and jams, working on the travel trailer, keeping the squirrel population down to a minimum, chasing possums at night, bird and other backyard critter watching, helping the daughters and son in laws with projects, taking the grandsons target shooting at the gun club, searching for ammo, etc. I don't know how I ever had time for work.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by tx_basser
What does your normal day/week look like? I keep trying to envision what it looks like...

Morning: Coffee, Bfast, TFF, Look out Window,
Lunch: Sandwich, Chips, Water
Afternoon: Power Nap, Coffee/Snack, More TFF, etc.

Hobbies: Golf Weekly, Fishing Weekly, Yardwork, House Maintenance, Hunting, Archery Shoots, Travel (3 trips per year), etc.

You're getting on track there Rog!

I got a big pot of pintos on now I'm surfing the web. I think I might go cruise the back roads with a cigar later. If it warms up then maybe front porch beers at the neighbor's.
Posted By: RoadRunnerTR21

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 05:18 PM

Going to the gun range, helping kids and neighbors out, shooting the breeze with other retired guys, and staying out of your wife's way.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 05:21 PM

I will let you know soon laugh
Posted By: John175☮

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 05:21 PM

I can't wait to see Dawgs schedule.

1) Wake up.
2) Eat breakfast.
3) Chase kids going to school off lawn.
4) Nap.
5) Eat Lunch.
6) Clean pool and check chemical levels adjust as necessary.
7) Chase kids coming home from school off lawn.
8) Write a letter to the editor about kids on lawn.
9) Nap.
10) Eat Dinner.
Posted By: Fourjs

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 05:46 PM

One of the best parts of being retired is shopping and running errands during the week. My errand this morning was taking the RV in for an oil change and state inspection. In and out in an hour.

After that, I went to Walmart. Bought shotgun shells. No line at checkout. In and out in 15 minutes.

Every Wednesday I meet with a group of guys for lunch at Rudy’s and a bible study.

We go camping during the week. Check in is always on Monday. We can always find a place to go. Less crowded too.

When nothing is on the calendar. I watch TV and drink coffee. Wife rolls out of bed around 10:00. Breakfast between 11:00 & 11:30.

Retirement is the best!!!!!

Jimmy

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by John175☮

1) Wake up.
2) Eat breakfast.
4) Nap.
5) Eat Lunch.
9) Nap.
10) Eat Dinner.

That’s a dream day for sure
Posted By: Razorback

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fourjs

We go camping during the week. Check in is always on Monday. We can always find a place to go. Less crowded too.

I had not thought of this. We have been camping at state parks and other lakeside locations for over 30 years. We always made reservations whenever we wanted, no problem. In the last five years or so that has changed. There have been weekends when everything was booked. Like lakes and everywhere else, cabins and camping areas are crowded these days.

I can't express how much I am looking forward to retirement.
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 06:43 PM

Cruise the halls of the nursing home looking for chicks…
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by BriannShell

Yep, I normally cook a bigger lunch and eat a smaller simpler dinner. Last week I made chicken enchiladas for lunch and ate on them all week. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Kodyjoe

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 07:36 PM

Hunting Fishing. Fishing. Hunting. Then start all over again
Posted By: 9094

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 07:57 PM

I usually keep busy outside but today is kind of nasty and cold. So I’m sittin in the easy chair in my flannel lounge pants skimming the internet and reading a book.
That is the great part of retired to me. I don’t have to do anything if I don’t feel like it!
Posted By: n2ratfishin

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 08:21 PM

It's cold here in TN. I just finished my walk for the day. If it gets any colder I'll be inside at the gym walking.

I clean house, cook, basically, I have turned into a housewife albeit the homeliest housewife on the block. I punched out at the end of Sept.

We spent a month at the Condo in Florida including a week at Disney over the holidays. I'm headed to Stickmarsh for a week in the middle of February.

I wish the granddaughters were closer.

I forgot doctor's appointments. Goodness, how did I ever have time to go to the doctor so much?
Posted By: Fishn_man

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 08:31 PM

I just wish I could get comfortable with how much income I need when retired to be comfortable, do my normal activities minus work but we able to travel whenever I want. Guess I should really call my financial guy..
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Stump jumper

Yep, I normally cook a bigger lunch and eat a smaller simpler dinner. Last week I made chicken enchiladas for lunch and ate on them all week. [Linked Image]

We did beef enchiladas on Monday. Cooked spaghetti with Italian sausage meatballs yesterday.

But there are negatives to being retired, once a week you have to take the trash up to the road.

Which also requires you to know what day it is.

March will be here eventually and it’s back to fishing three days a week.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Fishn_man
I just wish I could get comfortable with how much income I need when retired to be comfortable, do my normal activities minus work but we able to travel whenever I want. Guess I should really call my financial guy..

Follow WAWI's model !

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tiltman

Follow WAWI's model !

On a whim, I went to see a financial advisor 20 years prior to my retirement. It was well worth it for us. He said, "Do this" and we did, Then a few years later he said "You need to do this" and we did. Some things we did not fully appreciate until I retired. He knew his business well. A good Financial Advisor is worth their weight in gold.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by John175☮

1) Wake up.
2) Eat breakfast.
4) Nap.
5) Eat Lunch.
9) Nap.
10) Eat Dinner.

roflmao roflmao roflmao

nailed it!
Posted By: hopalong

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Spiderman
Originally Posted by Stump jumper

We did beef enchiladas on Monday. Cooked spaghetti with Italian sausage meatballs yesterday.

But there are negatives to being retired, once a week you have to take the trash up to the road.

Which also requires you to know what day it is.

March will be here eventually and it’s back to fishing three days a week.

I keep forgetting to go open the gate at our dumpster (about a mile away) on monday mornings. trash day is confusing out here. grin
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 10:01 PM

Well I retired in May of 2018 and started a part-time coaching job at Burleson Centennial. I coach football in the fall and track in the spring. My football days look like this Monday-Thursday. Wake up anywhere from 8:30-11:00. Eat a couple of fried eggs with 3 strips of bacon. Watch a murder show or two. Go to the gym and work out, FB practice at 4:30 so I’ll get there 3:45-4:00. After practice I’ll stop and get either a 6 pack or 12 pack of Yuengling Flight. Watch a little TV and visit with the bride and how her day went. And you fellas know how long and detailed wives stories get. I’ll roll into bed round 1-3, farted around last night and didn’t get into bed until 4:00 am. Thursday nights I always go to whatever sub varsity team is playing at home, get home round 9-9:30. Friday night get to the school round 2:30 pm and roll into the house at midnight-1:00. Go to work at 8:00 in the am Saturday and get home about 1:00 pm. Go in Sunday at 2:00 and leave in 6:00-9:00 range. Rinse and repeat for the next 10 weeks and add a week for every playoff win

Same routine for track except the meets are on a Thursday or Friday. How’s that for part time hours ❓A whopping $600 a month
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 10:12 PM

I work a couple hours each morning, Mon, Tues, Wed., (the money is too good to quit completely and it's easy), then I do whatever I want to the rest of the week.
Shooting clays, catch fish, travel, hunt, reloading, working the bird dogs, taking a nice long walk around the countryside (where I live), BBQing, reading, visiting with buddies and neighbors, working around the house, happy hour, taking naps, Church every Sunday for the last 41 years, going to music shows, restaurants and museums and loving my sweet wife.

It's more what I DON'T DO.
I don't drive in traffic or stand in lines for anything.
I don't listen to co-workers or the boss's BS.
I don’t wear a mask.
I don't drive in the rain, the vehicles stay parked a lot.
I don't worry about school zones.
I don't hurry and I don't worry.

Like Willie says - I live the life I love and I love the life I live.

Posted By: Techfisher

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 10:14 PM

As this is my last year working we've been trying to get our financial ducks in a row. Not looking too bad but given what the health insurance is gonna cost us I may do the coach hank thing to earn a little side money. Buddy at work said I should look into being a part time inspector for the medical mary jane authority here in Okie land. I know they need people but I'm not sure if they'd go for a part time gig. If I can finagle it I'd do it over by where we might buy a place by Lake Tenkiller.

Our Florida move is out as the wife doesn't want to go back there now after spending a month there...:(
At this rate I may never retire and they will find my cold dead body in my pickup somewhere along side the freeway in Oklahoma.....:) Life continues to be an adventure that's for sure...:)
Posted By: Trickster

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

I work a couple hours each morning, Mon, Tues, Wed., (the money is too good to quit completely and it's easy), then I do whatever I want to the rest of the week.
Shooting clays, catch fish, travel, hunt, reloading, working the bird dogs, taking a nice long walk around the countryside (where I live), BBQing, visiting with buddies and neighbors, working around the house, taking naps, Church every Sunday for the last 41 years, going to music shows, restaurants and museums and loving my sweet wife.

thumb
Posted By: forkduc

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 10:33 PM

Every day is Saturday 😀

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Techfisher

Our Florida move is out as the wife doesn't want to go back there now after spending a month there...:(
At this rate I may never retire and they will find my cold dead body in my pickup somewhere along side the freeway in Oklahoma.....:) Life continues to be an adventure that's for sure...:)

We were also considering moving to Florida, and my wife is now reconsidering as well. I’m ok staying here and making a few 2-3week trips a year.
Posted By: Dognot

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 11:05 PM

Nobody ever saved too much money.
Posted By: Beak47

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/27/22 11:08 PM

No alarm unless have to drive to Metroplex for doc appointment. Ease up and put a coffee in the Keurig and depending on the weather and how close the coyotes sound I let the 2 dogs and 3 cats out. Make breakfast and walk 2 miles weather permitting. Then work on whatever project I have. At this time i am overhauling a 1976 Miller Roughneck welder with a 12 HP Kohler motor. Last year I rebuilt the front end on my wifes RX 330 Lexus including brakes. Some days I work with my tractor. Just stay busy so I dont croak! hah. Sounds boring but isnt actually. When grandgals are here they demand a lot of attention from my wife and I. We kept the oldest for 7 weeks when Covid first hit and shut down the schools.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/28/22 03:41 AM

Today I got the boys off to school since wife had to be at the hospital early. Then headed to the lake for a few hours, then came home and chilled.

This retirement deal is an adjustment.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/28/22 10:36 AM

Everday is a holiday
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/28/22 11:37 AM

Today is my last day, headed to the office at 11:30 to turn in my laptop and company car. Looks like I’ll find out what retirement is all about here pretty quick!!!
Posted By: Patriot Guard Rider

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/28/22 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

Shooting clays, catch fish, travel, hunt, reloading, working the bird dogs, taking a nice long walk around the countryside (where I live), BBQing, reading, visiting with buddies and neighbors, working around the house, happy hour, taking naps, Church every Sunday for the last 41 years, going to music shows, restaurants and museums and loving my sweet wife.

I don’t wear a mask.

I love that list of "I DON'T DOs"
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/28/22 11:48 AM

I am in middle of having cataracts removed first surgery was last Tuesday went well at Brooks Eye in Plano. It would have been difficult to have done this before retiring since most of my job revolved around huge spreadsheets with tiny numbers and very hard for me to take off more than one week at a time. I have been getting projects done that I simply could not do and work. Besides that I fished more this past year all during the week and stayed away from the lakes on weekends for the most part. I worked for 45 years straight I am so thankful I am retired and so far still have reasonably good health.

My wife is younger and still working so I have taken on most of the household chores, housework, bill paying…etc. I think that is important I know folks that if they lost their wife they would be clueless on some of that especially finances.

I am truly happy to be retired but about a month away from being 66. I would not have had the same mindset if I retired too much earlier and would have been bored to the point of probably finding another job even part time. I basically retired once I was eligible for medicare which by the way is not free but affordable. I will start drawing SS in June which will be my full retirement age for SS.

I highly recommend retirement if you are truly ready both financially and mentally.

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/28/22 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Billy Blazer 300 HPDI
Today is my last day, headed to the office at 11:30 to turn in my laptop and company car. Looks like I’ll find out what retirement is all about here pretty quick!!!

Heck yeah Billy thumb bannana2
Posted By: Beak47

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/28/22 12:29 PM

Good going! Enjoy retirement!

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/28/22 01:49 PM

I applied for SS a few weeks back, requested it to start in March. It’s taking longer than I thought, it under review is all I can find out. My guess they are checking on ex wives from years back. Wasn’t married too either one of them very long and didn’t have anything in divorce decrees about SS so hoping I’ll be fine.

I did get a letter yesterday from SS that my Medicare will start Feb 1st. I think it’s 170 a month. I’m betting my pension and SS will put me in higher income bracket and it will go up to around 190 a month for Medicare A and B. Guy next door is VP of sales for a large insurance company. He is going to get me on Blue Cross blue shield advantage. Pretty sure it’s free.
Posted By: ring fry

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/28/22 02:04 PM

Monday-play golf at 9:00, lunch about 1:30, 30 minute nap, piddle in shop, drink 2-4 beers, supper, bed.
Tuesday-6:00 mow greens, golf at 9:00, lunch about 1:30, 30 minute nap, piddle in shop, drink 2-4 beers, supper, bed.
Wednesday: SEE TUESDAY
Thursday: SEE TUESDAY
Friday: SEE MONDAY
Saturday: Golf at 10:30, lunch about 3:00, nap, piddle in shop, drink 2-4 beers, supper, bed
Sunday: Go fishing

Going fishing can be substituted for Golf on any given day.

Retired grass grower

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/28/22 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by ring fry
Monday-play golf at 9:00, lunch about 1:30, 30 minute nap, piddle in shop, drink 2-4 beers, supper, bed.
Tuesday-6:00 mow greens, golf at 9:00, lunch about 1:30, 30 minute nap, piddle in shop, drink 2-4 beers, supper, bed.
Wednesday: SEE TUESDAY
Thursday: SEE TUESDAY
Friday: SEE MONDAY
Saturday: Golf at 10:30, lunch about 3:00, nap, piddle in shop, drink 2-4 beers, supper, bed
Sunday: Go fishing

Going fishing can be substituted for Golf on any given day.

Retired grass grower

Did you ever know that you’re my hero?
Posted By: Wool E. Booger

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/28/22 02:07 PM

Been retired for 6 years now. Have to say the thing I like the most is never having to wake up to a damn alarm clock unless I’m going fishing or hunting
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/28/22 02:29 PM

I guess I'm fully retired now. Was working 48 on 96 off as an AEMT, but it was killing us with IRS. Seriously, so I basically had to quit back at the end of November. Now the basic routine is: Wake up, usually around 07 to 0800. Get coffee going, Check the weather report, check emails, check various web sites for news, check some blogs I keep up with and then hit TFF and THF.

Later I may go outside and putz around, and come back in. Might do laundry about every 4 or 5 days. Get on the computer check emails, then TFF and THF. If I'm in the mood most days I'll get on the group text with the daughters, but when the lib one is on ranting and raving, I just don't bother knocking my head against that wall anymore.

Rinse and repeat.

Now that my wife is only working about 80 miles away I will probably run up and have lunch or supper with her once a week or so, but that won't happen until SIL returns from deployment and I can get out of South Carolina and back on the proper side of the Mississippi.
Posted By: n2ratfishin

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/28/22 04:01 PM

I applied for SS a few weeks back, requested it to start in March. It’s taking longer than I thought, it under review is all I can find out. My guess they are checking on ex wives from years back. Wasn’t married too either one of them very long and didn’t have anything in divorce decrees about SS so hoping I’ll be fine.

I did get a letter yesterday from SS that my Medicare will start Feb 1st. I think it’s 170 a month. I’m betting my pension and SS will put me in higher income bracket and it will go up to around 190 a month for Medicare A and B. Guy next door is VP of sales for a large insurance company. He is going to get me on Blue Cross blue shield advantage. Pretty sure it’s free.

If your income puts you in IRMAA I'd look at a G supplement vs an Advantage Plan. At least explore the pros and cons of both. If you turn down the supplement now as you go on Medicare you will have to qualify physically later to get it.

Congrats on retirement!
Posted By: beartrap

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/28/22 04:25 PM

been retired almost 17 years....very fortunate in having everything paid for when i retired including two new vehicles.....our monthly income is $5,077.00(social security for wife and I $3,327.00,$650.00 interest from annuiities and $1,100. from 401K fund) we live pretty well on that income amount ...we live in a 1,700 sq ft house plus carport,back porch,fishing room so our yearly taxes and insurance are only about $2,800.we started out with about $500,000. in 401K and annuities accounts and still have about $400,000.00 in those accounts despite taking out money for numerous trips to argentina/Bolivia/mexico and several trips all over the USA ,canada and Alaska....
based on my experience,if you are getting near retirement,you might want to look at a smaller house to reduce your monthly expenses and try to get everything paid off prior to retiring.....and if you got things on your bucket list....do them because we ain't guaranteed how long we gonna be here...
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/28/22 04:48 PM

I'll be fishing at Texoma over the next few days while camping. That is somewhat of a normal week.
Posted By: marschall

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/28/22 05:25 PM

Going down to Lake Whitney to work on the lake house by myself is a blast . I usually stay about 4 to 5 days and work around the house rebuilding after the fire 4 years ago . I am putting up a black 6 ft. chain link fence around the 1 acre yard . Cutting brush and digging fence post holes in that solid rock ! The wife comes down every other week . I love the peace and quite were we are only one neighbor in site . Ride the Kawasaki mule down to the neighbors and drink a cold one or go fishing with them . I hate it when I have to come back to Venus , it used to be a small country town . Now it is insane how Midlothian area is growing . I was raised on a farm and hate the city . Trying to convice the wife to sell our house and move to out lake house .At least I get to work on my hot rod in Venus
Posted By: cob

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/28/22 05:42 PM

Play golf 275 days per year average last 8 years. Fish 15 - 25 days a year. Visit son in SC a couple of weeks per. Seems like we spend a lot of time on dr appointments.

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/28/22 08:22 PM

I go over to the office earlier today to turn in my PC and company car, today was my last day. My mgr. offices out of Denver so I asked one of our opps mgrs to let me in the building. When I get to the office I find out his is not allowed in the building because he is not vax'd. He met me in the lobby. Security said he either had to show Vax card or test negative for Covid, he couldn't even get in his own office. First time I'd been there in 2 years.

That is the part of work I will not miss.

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/28/22 09:57 PM

I go over to the office earlier today to turn in my PC and company car, today was my last day. My mgr. offices out of Denver so I asked one of our opps mgrs to let me in the building. When I get to the office I find out his is not allowed in the building because he is not vax'd. He met me in the lobby. Security said he either had to show Vax card or test negative for Covid, he couldn't even get in his own office. First time I'd been there in 2 years.

That is the part of work I will not miss.

Congrats on your Retirement! They can KYA.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/29/22 02:06 AM

A couple cups of coffee, check the news, the TTF and out then door fishing... Unless it's like this week, cold and snowy... Then I just drive the wife crazy... Dan
Posted By: Emit R Detsaw

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/29/22 02:18 AM

Been retired for 9 years. Get up when I want, eat when and what I want. When I don't go fishing or golfing, I work around the house on yard or projects in the morning for a couple hours. Afternoons mostly have fun with fps game or get on my sim racing rig for some racing. Evenings watch a movie with the wife. Then go to bed whenever I feel like it. I think the key is to have enough different projects you like to do that when the body isn't able for some of the more physical stuff you can fall back on the more less physical stuff.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/29/22 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Emit R Detsaw
Been retired for 9 years. Get up when I want, eat when and what I want.

Where you at before you retired Shawshank Prison?

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/29/22 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by RedRanger
Originally Posted by Emit R Detsaw
Been retired for 9 years. Get up when I want, eat when and what I want.

Where you at before you retired Shawshank Prison?

Many military deployments where we didn't have a choice of when we got up, when or what we wanted to eat. Okay, maybe we had our choice of which MRE to eat.......
Posted By: vm788

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/29/22 06:18 PM

Will be retiring March 31 after 42 years in waterworks. We, now I, wife passed 4 days before Christmas, will be moving back to home town. Son bought old farm place there and built a barndominium and where he goes to get out of Houston. He already has a long to do list, my brother who is County Judge there already volunteered me to work on EMS and help the town out in waterworks. I see retiring as another step to help others. An actor was leaving a show we watched, and said made this very true statement "At every ending, there is a new beginning". I actually used that quote in a sermon, when you retire from this earth, where will your new beginning be? I see others here working just as hard now as they did prior to retiring.
Posted By: gdr_11

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/29/22 07:32 PM

1 - 10 = Listening to your wife 24/7
Posted By: TXanalogkd

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/30/22 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Hard Rain

I am truly happy to be retired but about a month away from being 66. I would not have had the same mindset if I retired too much earlier and would have been bored to the point of probably finding another job even part time. I basically retired once I was eligible for medicare which by the way is not free but affordable. I will start drawing SS in June which will be my full retirement age for SS.

I highly recommend retirement if you are truly ready both financially and mentally.

True statement. I just retired from the military and I'm ready to get back to work; at least part time to stay busy. I'm 52 and planned my retirement for a long time. I do stay busy but I catch myself getting bored around the house. Everyday is different; jog, fish (kayak or boat), ride mountain bike, tune mountain bike (even though it's not needed). I started to paint the rooms in the house but stopped when the oldest returned from college during the break.

I get so exited for the weekends because this is when I can visit with family because Mon thru Fri is a long strength, and the winter does not help. I hate staying indoors and no longer desire cold and wet days.

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/30/22 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by TXanalogkd
Originally Posted by Hard Rain

True statement. I just retired from the military and I'm ready to get back to work; at least part time to stay busy. I'm 52 and planned my retirement for a long time. I do stay busy but I catch myself getting bored around the house. Everyday is different; jog, fish (kayak or boat), ride mountain bike, tune mountain bike (even though it's not needed). I started to paint the rooms in the house but stopped when the oldest returned from college during the break.

I get so exited for the weekends because this is when I can visit with family because Mon thru Fri is a long strength, and the winter does not help. I hate staying indoors and no longer desire cold and wet days.

Part-time gig was a good way to ease into retirement. I did that for about a year. Worked at Academy in their field and stream department. Got myself stocked up with gear using the employee discount and grabbing the clearances.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/30/22 08:00 PM

Since I retired three years ago I have become a fair weather fisherman. If it is cold, windy, too hot or just nasty out, I don't fish. When I was working all I had was weekends and a periodic vacation. I went out in ALL weather. It did not matter, if it was a weekend I was fishing (only exception was lightening). Now if I go outside and it is raining, windy or just nasty out, I stay home and do honey do's. There's always tomorrow.

Re: For you Retired Guys... - 01/30/22 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by vm788
Will be retiring March 31 after 42 years in waterworks. We, now I, wife passed 4 days before Christmas, will be moving back to home town. Son bought old farm place there and built a barndominium and where he goes to get out of Houston. He already has a long to do list, my brother who is County Judge there already volunteered me to work on EMS and help the town out in waterworks. I see retiring as another step to help others. An actor was leaving a show we watched, and said made this very true statement "At every ending, there is a new beginning". I actually used that quote in a sermon, when you retire from this earth, where will your new beginning be? I see others here working just as hard now as they did prior to retiring.

My sincerest and heartfelt condolences to you sir, all the best to you
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum