Texas Fishing Forum

Rivian R1T in depth...

Posted By: Dave-0

Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 03:32 AM

So this guy just posted a pretty damn good video about that Rivian electric truck. I'm a devout fossil fuel burner, but this one video really got me to thinking about electric trucks. If the front end wasn't so God Awful ugly, I would seriously check into one. It can handle 11K lbs in towing, which kind of shocked me and HUGE disk brakes for stopping it. Adjustable ride height, a neat bed for hauling and an 18 speaker sound system. Have to admit, I'm impressed by this vehicle.

Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 03:35 AM

You're right- that is one powerfully ugly truck.
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 03:45 AM

Starting at 67k?
314 miles on a charge, there are days i drive that much in my job
And it's ugly as he77

OUT
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 11:33 AM

The front though………why?
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Kicker16
Starting at 67k?
And it's ugly as he77

OUT

I believe that range is like half when towing. Out.
Posted By: BassFever

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 12:26 PM

Not as ugly as the new Tundra.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by BassFever

Tundras are beautiful
Posted By: AirForceAngler

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 12:32 PM

Let me know when there's an electric truck that can tow 8,000lbs for 300 miles before needing charged. And it also needs to be fully recharged in 10 minutes. Oh, and needs to be under $50k, too.
Posted By: Teeners boat

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 12:42 PM

Looks like a Droid from one of the Star Wars movies. Fuglee
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI
Originally Posted by BassFever

Tundras are ugly af
Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 01:51 PM

Is the bed big enough for a gas tank and generator?
Posted By: Flip Flop Fisher

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by AirForceAngler
Let me know when there's an electric truck that can tow 8,000lbs for 300 miles before needing charged. And it also needs to be fully recharged in 10 minutes. Oh, and needs to be under $50k, too.

can you by a fuel powered truck that can do these things and come in under 50K?

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Fisher

My 2020 tundra and I drove it out for 39k.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 02:32 PM

The new Tundra will be interesting. They have dropped the V8 in favor of a twin turbo V6 and are introducing independent rear suspension. I hope they have addressed the gas mileage issue that has plagued Tundras since their introduction. As for the look, it is no uglier than any of the “big three” pickups. We are in a bad place with pick up styling right now.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 02:36 PM

My old Dodge can tow 8k for 300 miles fairly easily but that would cost $90.
A typical gasser would probably cost over $100 to tow that load. A Toyota $110 or more.

For an electric truck capable of pulling a boat 200 miles the Rifian is fantastic and would work for most of us most of the time.
When are they going to put charging stations at the boat ramp is what I'd like to know.

According to their website for a mere 10 grand you can have a 400 mile battery.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 03:17 PM

Can y'alls Tundra's raise or lower the ride height for practical (and performance) applications and efficiency on the fly? Can y'alls Tundra clamber through 3 ft of water? Can your Tundra drive 314 miles and not need to stop for a fill up?

Go ahead....I'll wait.

Again, I will always happily drive my certified dirty idle, black smoke belching 12V Cummins diesel dually, but this thing has grabbed my attention. I can deal with everything BUT the front end. barf

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 03:39 PM

did not know Tundra's could be had for that. Chevy's I see or all north of 60k

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 03:53 PM

WAWI's is a 2020 bought before the chip shortage. A great deal but believable.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Allison1

I bought it in May 2020, it stickered at 47k they sold it for 39k. I checked recently and same truck was about 47k sticker but I suspect you are gonna pay sticker.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 03:59 PM

My guess is in late 2022, or possibly 2023 there will be a ton of 2021 models with recently installed chips selling for steep discounts.
Posted By: Mark C

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 03:59 PM

I like most everything about it except the price and body style, but you could say that about any new truck these days.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 04:01 PM

Also keep in mind, the electric motors have a life span of about a million miles. There is almost zero maintenance to do on them and the batteries should be good for 10 years, minimum. I'm kind of biased because I know I can charge mine for free at work, just have to install the charger.

Whom ever the company founder is, I hope he gives Elon a run for his money and becomes rich beyond his wildest dreams.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dave-0
Can y'alls Tundra's raise or lower the ride height for practical (and performance) applications and efficiency on the fly? Can y'alls Tundra clamber through 3 ft of water? Can your Tundra drive 314 miles and not need to stop for a fill up?

Go ahead....I'll wait.

Again, I will always happily drive my certified dirty idle, black smoke belching 12V Cummins diesel dually, but this thing has grabbed my attention. I can deal with everything BUT the front end. barf

I have a 32 gallon tank so I can go about 400 between fill ups, a fill up requires 10 minutes not checking into a hotel to plug the thing in. As to the rest of it idk or care, I have run a tundra through water, rocks, up the side of hills, pulled boats all over texas, snow, ice etc. It does what I need.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 04:02 PM

Pass.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 04:03 PM

Also keep in mind, the electric motors have a life span of about a million miles. There is almost zero maintenance to do on them and the batteries should be good for 10 years, minimum. I'm kind of biased because I know I can charge mine for free at work, just have to install the charger.

Whom ever the company founder is, I hope he gives Elon a run for his money and becomes rich beyond his wildest dreams.

By all means get one, just not my thing
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 04:06 PM

Starting at 67k?
And it's ugly as he77

OUT

And since there is no charging station at most of my destinations, cut it in half again to get home.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 04:06 PM

Serious question: Do the newer vehicles have 110Vac outlets and air compressors built in?

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 04:09 PM

Go ahead....I'll wait.

I have a 32 gallon tank so I can go about 400 between fill ups, a fill up requires 10 minutes not checking into a hotel to plug the thing in. As to the rest of it idk or care, I have run a tundra through water, rocks, up the side of hills, pulled boats all over texas, snow, ice etc. It does what I need.

I have a 50 gallon tank or about 700 miles.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 04:12 PM

By all means get one, just not my thing

Agree, I am WAY to cheap to buy anything like that. I priced one out with all the bells and whistles...$82K. For that price, I'll go buy a brand new 1 ton dually. Or a Velociraptor. Or a Mammoth Hellephant!
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 04:18 PM

Serious question: Do the newer vehicles have 110Vac outlets and air compressors built in?

Some have outlets built in.
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 04:28 PM

I bought it in May 2020, it stickered at 47k they sold it for 39k. I checked recently and same truck was about 47k sticker but I suspect you are gonna pay sticker.

You’re not far off. We bought a 2021 Tundra TSS 4wd for my wife in May of this year. Sticker was ~$49k, we paid $44k
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by COFF
My guess is in late 2022, or possibly 2023 there will be a ton of 2021 models with recently installed chips selling for steep discounts.

i believe this to be very true --- in about 9-12 months the auto industry is going to begging people to buy all their inventory

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Samsonsworld
Starting at 67k?
And it's ugly as he77

OUT

And since there is no charging station at most of my destinations, cut it in half again to get home.

Exactly, I pull boat all over the place, I would be swetting a round trip to even the lakes I fish and come home same day.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by 1oldbassguy
Originally Posted by COFF

i believe this to be very true --- in about 9-12 months the auto industry is going to begging people to buy all their inventory

Good, my wife will be due for new ride in that window

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 04:52 PM

Starting at 67k?
And it's ugly as he77

OUT

They said expect to get 50% reduction in range at full load, or 11k pounds. Pulling a bass boat would make that possibly as far as 250-300 miles towing if you add the 400 mile battery to the truck.

There is a lot to all this. A Tesla battery is supposed to cost upwards of $12k. One of these batteries has to cost close to twice that. That can get real expensive come battery replacement time.
On the other hand, an old Toyota Prius that I know was recently traded in after 220k miles. It was 11 years old. No battery change. They said it was the most reliable car they had ever owned, only replacing the fan that cooled the battery in all that time.
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 04:59 PM

Starting at 67k?
And it's ugly as he77

OUT

They said expect to get 50% reduction in range at full load, or 11k pounds. Pulling a bass boat would make that possibly as far as 250-300 miles towing if you add the 400 mile battery to the truck.

There is a lot to all this. A Tesla battery is supposed to cost upwards of $12k. One of these batteries has to cost close to twice that. That can get real expensive come battery replacement time.
On the other hand, an old Toyota Prius that I know was recently traded in after 220k miles. It was 11 years old. No battery change. They said it was the most reliable car they had ever owned, only replacing the fan that cooled the battery in all that time.

Sure, it’s reliable, but it has to be uncomfortable driving around with your ink tucked between your legs all the time.
Posted By: AirForceAngler

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 05:15 PM

Quite easily.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 05:19 PM

Quite easily.

and F-150 with a 5.0 can do it and be had for under $35k.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 05:20 PM

Most half ton bass boat pulling trucks won't pull 8000 pounds and be able to go 300 miles on a tank.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW

Quite easily.

and F-150 with a 5.0 can do it and be had for under $35k.

Not unless they have a 30 gallon tank and I don't think they do.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 05:30 PM

Most half ton bass boat pulling trucks won't pull 8000 pounds and be able to go 300 miles on a tank.

I dont get your fixation with this, how long does it take to get gas, how long to recharge? If the electric cant get you there and back in a day or all the way there in an overnight trip its worthless.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 05:33 PM

I dont get your fixation with this, how long does it take to get gas, how long to recharge? If the electric cant get you there and back in a day or all the way there in an overnight trip its worthless.

allie will argue with a stump.
Posted By: Moto-Moto

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 05:36 PM

We're currently keeping our eye on an all electric race kart.....the torque that those things produce is incredible.. Still a lot of testing to be done, but super cool so far.

Truck is ugly AF though. Be a man.....get a diesel.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 05:36 PM

And these super charging stations arent everywhere. According to what I'm reading a Tesla takes 1.5 hours at one of them. If you have to plug into a 110 outlet at a hotel, etc on the road, 20 to 40 hours and I'm guessing this truck has a bigger battery.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 05:40 PM

And I dont hate electric cars, my wife drives under 10k miles a year, almost all local. Probably a good option for her. For me, no way. I drive 40k miles a year average for the last 25 years.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 05:41 PM

Probably doesn't have a way to turn off the head lights at the ramp either. Lol!

So if...IF....the infrastructure was there to support charging like at gas stations, would y'all still be hatin it as bad as now? Just curious, as it seems that is the root problem talked about.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 05:45 PM

Not my postulate and I just pointed out that most half tons won't pull that kind of weight like they said it would.

You are right that an electric won't pull as far in a day as a gasser because of the charging vs refueling times. But it does look like this electric truck will pull about as far as most half tons without stopping.
Add that an electrics should not be fully charged all the time to keep the battery from degrading, so an 80% Rivian with a 400 mile per charge battery and pulling a bass boat should work for people who tow no more than 200 miles per trip.

I would not buy one if I tourney fished but if my normal lakes were under 100 miles away, why not?

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 05:45 PM

Probably doesn't have a way to turn off the head lights at the ramp either. Lol!

So if...IF....the infrastructure was there to support charging like at gas stations, would y'all still be hatin it as bad as now? Just curious, as it seems that is the root problem talked about.

I dont want to sit at a charging station for an hour

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 05:49 PM

adequate charging stations is a factor, especially at boat ramps

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 05:58 PM

And I dont hate electric cars, my wife drives under 10k miles a year, almost all local. Probably a good option for her. For me, no way. I drive 40k miles a year average for the last 25 years.

same with mine. She drives a chevy spark now. great mileage. put's less than 6,000 miles a year on it. The spark was $14k. until electric can match that I'm out.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 06:03 PM

Not unless they have a 30 gallon tank and I don't think they do.

My 2013 f150 has a 36 gallon tank.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 06:43 PM

Buc-ees is going to need bigger parking lots.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by John175☮

You say that in jest but its only time till we start seeing fueling stations with 40 and 50 charging stations. Because they don't have flammables they don't take up as much space. One of these days in the next 20 years I guess we'll see fueling stations that have more charging stations than gas pumps.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 06:53 PM

You say that in jest but its only time till we start seeing fueling stations with 40 and 50 charging stations. Because they don't have flammables they don't take up as much space. One of these days in the next 20 years I guess we'll see fueling stations that have more charging stations than gas pumps.

People also said we would use the Metric system in the future. ain't gonna happen.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 07:08 PM

Yeah, where's the flying cars?!? Lol

[Linked Image]

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 07:11 PM

That's all fine and dandy but I dont want to sit at a charging station at hour..... I cant stress that enough
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 07:16 PM

Is there a glut of cheap electricity laying around out there somewhere just waiting to be used? I haven't notice a lot of new generating stations being built, only ones being shut down. Call me skeptical, but Ill stick with my gas guzzler for now.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 07:17 PM

Wonder how much they will charge to charge?

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 07:22 PM

Wonder how much they will charge to charge?

75 bucks (don't really know but wouldn't that be something)

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 07:23 PM

this admin wants all of our money

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 07:27 PM

Then there is this...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...case-the-battery-catches-fire/ar-AAOvgU4

Fires will be a huge problem.
Posted By: warcry

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 07:29 PM

It's more than that, even though the reality is the infrastructure isn't even remotely there & won't be for many years. You've got the wait time to charge, l can gas up in 5-7 mins if l don't need to piss. Reduced towing distance vs a gas fed. Price...the biggest liberal proponent for the electric truck stated that you would have to add a $10k to add a battery to get 200 miles towing. Now we're up to 80k when you can get a gas fed for half that & get 100-200 miles more range.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 08:05 PM

You know Bob, thats a very good point. What about insurance costs for EV's vs. a fossil fuel car. Can an insurance company log in and track your every movement both where you go, but also watch/record you from the vehicles cameras? That would be a HUGE invasion of privacy.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 08:10 PM

I'm not opposed to an EV. If I didn't own and tow a boat I would probably own one for 5-6 years and dump it before it needs a new battery.

I'm trying to talk the wife into one so we can flex when around my liberal friends.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 08:12 PM

I'm not opposed to an EV. If I didn't own and tow a boat I would probably own one for 5-6 years and dump it before it needs a new battery.

I'm trying to talk the wife into one so we can flex when around my liberal friends.

Just buy the tshirt.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 08:14 PM

Just buy the tshirt.

I'll take the Fed money to pay me back for the taxes I pay. I'll go so green for the green I'll be rich! If they tax my EV by the mile I'll tow it with my truck to the end destination. Heck I'll tow a generator to charge the EV.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 08:15 PM

You know Bob, thats a very good point. What about insurance costs for EV's vs. a fossil fuel car. Can an insurance company log in and track your every movement both where you go, but also watch/record you from the vehicles cameras? That would be a HUGE invasion of privacy.

The Jolt seems to be a problem with programming that makes them catch on fire. Tesla has had a problem but only when they are in an accident and the battery is physically damaged.

They will eventually get away from the fire hazard as the technology changes IMO.

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 08:20 PM

The Jolt seems to be a problem with programming that makes them catch on fire. Tesla has had a problem but only when they are in an accident and the battery is physically damaged.

They will eventually get away from the fire hazard as the technology changes IMO.

eventually the earth will die too. loco
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 08:21 PM

we don't have enough electricity to heat and cool our homes but we got plenty for everyone to sit around charging their vehicles..

roflmao

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/29/21 08:29 PM

China loves our green insanity since we agree to not use a natural resource they don't have.

We're idiots. Took a long time to get us to Stupidville but we have arrived.
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 09/30/21 12:10 AM

I travel quite a bit and I never see Tesla's/electric cars on the highway only around the big cities.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 01/20/22 01:18 AM

Bumping an old thread but watched this video that just came out today. Dang this thing is quick.
Posted By: KnotTexan

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 01/20/22 01:54 AM

Even though the Ram got embarrassed bang, I’d still rather own it 100% cheers.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 01/20/22 01:54 AM

That truck is hideous in my very humble opinion
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 01/20/22 01:55 AM

Didn’t say I liked it but a 3.5 sec 0-60 in an 8000# truck is definitely hauling
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 01/20/22 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by TexDawg
That truck is hideous in my very humble opinion

The front is a little funny, but the rest looks good IMO. Dave Demuro had one that he took up a crazy technical loose rock hill and it crawled on up- it was pretty amazing how it worked, anything less than a fully locked truck would never made it up

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 01/20/22 03:21 AM

The Ford F150 Lightning is coming out this year too.

They have quit the initial sale as its sold out. Some dealers are already trying to raise the price on them outragiously and Ford does not like it. Since they have a long list of potential buyers the dealers are going to give them a chance to buy at much higher prices. The only thing Ford can do is listen to customers and so far is saying that they may cut deliveries to some dealers.

It seems like everyone is looking at all available options, including changing out batteries in 5 minutes or less.
If there is money to be made they will find a way to do it.
Posted By: BOZZ

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 01/20/22 03:32 AM

China loves our green insanity since we agree to not use a natural resource they don't have.

And when China does take us over.......Look at all that oil we have saved up......just for them.

Good Luck,
Bozz

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 01/20/22 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by BOZZ

And when China does take us over.......Look at all that oil we have saved up......just for them.

Good Luck,
Bozz

John never looks before he leaps.
https://www.statista.com/statistics...ic-car-production-in-selected-countries/
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 01/20/22 04:54 AM

Good Luck,
Bozz

I wonder where china will get the coal for their power plants, for all those electric cars??????????

yep carbon free china burning coal to supply the electricity for their EV cars. yep I wonder how big the battery will be for their new aircraft carriers.

We just like china and the rest of the world are along way from getting rid of carbon fuel.
Posted By: BassFever

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 01/20/22 04:05 PM

You're all getting your panties in a wad about new technology. Yes, electric vehicles won't be for all. Just like diesels, etc. Remember for a while you will be able to get a $7500 rebate.
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 01/20/22 05:59 PM

It'll be a great truck for the suburban cowboy

Re: Rivian R1T in depth... - 01/20/22 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by 921 Phoenix

Good Luck,
Bozz

I wonder where china will get the coal for their power plants, for all those electric cars??????????

yep carbon free china burning coal to supply the electricity for their EV cars. yep I wonder how big the battery will be for their new aircraft carriers.

We just like china and the rest of the world are along way from getting rid of carbon fuel.

You are kind of changing the discussion from electric cars to energy production.
China is putting more of its development dollars towards renewable energy. It takes time.
Did you know they are planning 150 new nuclear reactors in the next 15 years?
They import energy since they don't have the natural resources like some countries do.
Of their investment in energy 69% of it is going to renewables like hydro and wind.

Like the discussion of electric cars, you really can't look at energy levels and infrastructure today.
It will develop as technology and need allows. In the US because it makes people money. In China because its in their best interest with the rest of the world.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum