Texas Fishing Forum

Maiden voyage the Good, Bad, and the Ugly.

Posted By: Jumpmaster

Maiden voyage the Good, Bad, and the Ugly. - 09/20/21 04:02 PM

I bought this old stick steer boat about two years ago off Craigslist because I always wanted a stick steer boat. I rebuilt the carbs, replaced the front half of the floor, and painted the top cap. J and J Marine then installed new cables and took it on a test drive. The test drive busted the transom because the wood was rotted. I hauled it back home and rebuilt the transom after the guys at Lake Fork Fiberglass explained how to do it. This weekend I was finally able to take it out for the first time.
The Good: The boat runs great, is fun to drive, and dry as a bone.
The Bad: I was running past a dock when this guy started yelling at me. I approached the dock and he asked me if my graph could show objects on the lake bottom such as a pocket knife. I said that I did not think it would but he kept insisting that I try because he lost his knife in the water. I really thought it would be a waste of time but he had this wiener dog that tried to bite me every time I said no. Finally I told him that I would make one pass next to the dock. I made the first pass and as soon as I got next to him I heard a loud bang from the back of the engine. The next thing I know this guy is jumping up and down pointing at a wet knife on the dock. Apparently my prop hit the knife and kicked it up on the dock. The guy bent down to look at it and the dog bit him right on the nose. The dog took off and he chased it up the hill while he was yelling about hating little dogs. The guy never returned so I took the knife and some type of foil hat that he dropped.
The Ugly: I put the boat on the trailer and noticed that my cavitation plate on one side must of broke off when the knife hit it. Pictures are attached.
Disclaimer: All or part of this story may be factual or maybe not.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Attached picture DSCF0294.JPG
Attached picture DSCF0295.JPG
Attached picture DSCF0297.JPG
Posted By: Dave-0

Re: Maiden voyage the Good, Bad, and the Ugly. - 09/20/21 04:21 PM

Sounds like a fun adventure. Sorry your cav plate got busted. One of my first boating experiences was in a boat just like that.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Maiden voyage the Good, Bad, and the Ugly. - 09/20/21 05:00 PM

you are lucky the weiner dog didn't bite you, just look what it did to your cavitation plate.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Maiden voyage the Good, Bad, and the Ugly. - 09/20/21 05:17 PM

Built a few of that style boats back in the 70's. Hard work and little money made me go to college.

BTW good looking boat.
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Maiden voyage the Good, Bad, and the Ugly. - 09/20/21 05:21 PM

worst water skiing wreck I ever had was behind one of those .
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Maiden voyage the Good, Bad, and the Ugly. - 09/20/21 07:06 PM

Boat is obviously cursed. How much do you want for it?
roflmao
Posted By: Barbers Tree

Re: Maiden voyage the Good, Bad, and the Ugly. - 09/20/21 07:17 PM

My dad had a Power Cat that looked very similar to that boat.
Posted By: TR176

Re: Maiden voyage the Good, Bad, and the Ugly. - 09/20/21 07:24 PM

Mcgills will weld that thingy right back on.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Maiden voyage the Good, Bad, and the Ugly. - 09/20/21 07:28 PM

That could quite possibly be Mudshark's aluminum hat.
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Maiden voyage the Good, Bad, and the Ugly. - 09/20/21 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke
That could quite possibly be Mudshark's aluminum hat.

BWHAHA... my thoughts exactly!
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Maiden voyage the Good, Bad, and the Ugly. - 09/20/21 09:41 PM

Nice setup! Love an old Johnson.

Re: Maiden voyage the Good, Bad, and the Ugly. - 09/20/21 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Barbers Tree

basscat is making it again for the 50th anniversary. cool little boat.

Re: Maiden voyage the Good, Bad, and the Ugly. - 09/20/21 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
Nice setup! Love an old Johnson.

wish I could find a 25-35 year old female that did. just sayin!

Re: Maiden voyage the Good, Bad, and the Ugly. - 09/20/21 09:45 PM

Now that you mention it, the guy did look like a loan shark and the dog had a split personality like Oscar. But it could not have been Mudshark because he moved out of Hideaway about four months ago. I know this because the paint sprayer that he was going to borrow to paint his kitchen cabinets is still sitting on my front porch. I know that no man in his right mind is going to have his wife paint them by hand. roflmao

Re: Maiden voyage the Good, Bad, and the Ugly. - 09/20/21 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jumpmaster
Now that you mention it, the guy did look like a loan shark and the dog had a split personality like Oscar. But it could not have been Mudshark because he moved out of Hideaway about four months ago. I know this because the paint sprayer that he was going to borrow to paint his kitchen cabinets is still sitting on my front porch. I know that no man in his right mind is going to have his wife paint them by hand. roflmao

who said mudshark is in his right mind?

wait, never mind.
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: Maiden voyage the Good, Bad, and the Ugly. - 09/20/21 11:12 PM

I’m not able to talk about the painting project yet. It’s not going well. I do however have some JB Weld I will mix up for you to fix that cavitation plate. It’s crappie time!
Posted By: YEE_YEE

Re: Maiden voyage the Good, Bad, and the Ugly. - 09/20/21 11:42 PM

Man I Need to find a motor for my old stick steer . Good looking boat

Re: Maiden voyage the Good, Bad, and the Ugly. - 09/20/21 11:47 PM

Well it sure took you long enough to bite.......... Oh, I forgot you probably just got off work. It is hell being retired and old. On a positive note I will give you your tin foil hat back but I threw your knife back in the lake. Seriously, I marked a lot of structure and fish on the north end of the island. If you can break loose Friday we can put some fish in the boat. smile
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: Maiden voyage the Good, Bad, and the Ugly. - 09/20/21 11:54 PM

Well it sure took you long enough to bite.......... Oh, I forgot you probably just got off work. It is hell being retired and old. On a positive note I will give you your tin foil hat back but I threw your knife back in the lake. Seriously, I marked a lot of structure and fish on the north end of the island. If you can break loose Friday we can put some fish in the boat. smile

I’m in Amarillo today and not exactly sure when I coming home. I have to be in Nacogdoches Friday morning, but might be around before dark. We will figure out some time, I can’t wait.
Posted By: BJH ( JUST JIGGING)

Re: Maiden voyage the Good, Bad, and the Ugly. - 09/21/21 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong
Originally Posted by Barbers Tree

basscat is making it again for the 50th anniversary. cool little boat.

Had a 1971 Skeeterhawk fished on Toledo bend, Rayburn, Pines Fork,and several more. Never had any trouble. Who was the half a$$ that would put a rear deck that is only half of a deck. Screwed the pooch on that. noidea
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum