Texas Fishing Forum

Dominoes, the games

Posted By: Po Boy

Dominoes, the games - 09/12/21 09:24 PM

Not pizza. I was raised on a small farm in a small farm community. This was back in the days before TV, so the main form of entertainment was dominoes, primarily 42. There would be large “42” parties that were played tournament style where the champion team was crowned at the end of the night. The winners would receive a small prize, normally something that someone had made to be presented to the winners. As a kid we did not participate in these adult games. Us kids were busy playing grab a— with one another or chasing lighting bugs. As we got older some would move into participating in the games after being taught to play at home. I was one that never developed an interest in dominoes and never learned the games. I was thinking about this today and realized that I never hear about anyone playing dominoes. How about you guys, does anyone play the games or is this truly a thing of the past?
Posted By: gander

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/12/21 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Po Boy
Not pizza. I was raised on a small farm in a small farm community. This was back in the days before TV, so the main form of entertainment was dominoes, primarily 42. There would be large “42” parties that were played tournament style where the champion team was crowned at the end of the night. The winners would receive a small prize, normally something that someone had made to be presented to the winners. As a kid we did not participate in these adult games. Us kids were busy playing grab a— with one another or chasing lighting bugs. As we got older some would move into participating in the games after being taught to play at home. I was one that never developed an interest in dominoes and never learned the games. I was thinking about this today and realized that I never hear about anyone playing dominoes. How about you guys, does anyone play the games or is this truly a thing of the past?

I wish I would have learned to play 42..not sure why but is on the list of thing to learn. Yes it is still played
Posted By: gregpaul

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/12/21 09:30 PM

Played “moon” on midshifts for $2 a game back in the day. Primarily a game for olds, along with cribbage
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/12/21 09:35 PM

Played them as a kid with my grandpa and my sisters. I haven't played them in years, but most of my family still does at family get togethers. There used to be some old guys that met up at one of the local gas stations by the lake house that would play pretty much every day. The station sold and I'm not sure if the old guys still play there, or not.
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/12/21 09:39 PM

Us kids were busy playing grab a— with one another or chasing lighting bugs.

The restaurant industry is the GOAT of perfecting grab a— skills. The old “helicopter trick” can get you fired now..but almost everything else is alive and well in restaurants across America.
Posted By: Fourjs

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/12/21 09:43 PM

Our family used to play 42 from time to time. Guys vs girls. Now the kids like board games. We’ve played straight dominoes while camping.

My dad had a good friend and they’d play straight dominoes all weekend. I’d watch and get them beers when needed.

Jimmy
Posted By: Beak47

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/12/21 09:45 PM

Straight dominos but some of my friends played “Moon” . Straight was usually $5 with 4 players and the good players would know what everyone had in their hand after the “down”. And there were a few “talkers” and they were pretty subtle about it. I still have some “Rocks” and a pegboard for keeping score but havent played in years. 2 handed had a “Bonepile” which usually was the kiss of death- but not always!

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/12/21 09:57 PM

On party day all of the men would head to the woods before day light to squirrel hunt. They would split up and go to three or four different den trees and wait out the squirrels. By 8:00 AM they would have enough squirrels for a big stew that night before the games started. The stew was cooked in a big cast iron wash pot. Us kids were not allowed to go on these hunts because we could not be still or quite enough at the den trees. Did not have much money in those days but they knew how to enjoy their selfs.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/12/21 09:59 PM

We have recently started playing Mexican dominoes. It’s pretty fun.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/12/21 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by gregpaul
Played “moon” on midshifts for $2 a game back in the day. Primarily a game for olds, along with cribbage

Grandma taught us a game called shoot the moon. She didn’t take our money.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/12/21 10:29 PM

All I ever did with domino’s is line em up and topple them over
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/12/21 10:34 PM

Love 42, haven't played in 22 years since we moved out of the city, the old neighborhood we moved from would have 42 tournaments regularly. And spades as well.
Posted By: Dognot

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/12/21 10:43 PM

When I was a kid my parents and neighbors would play 42 almost every weekend. My grand parents lived in a farming community in New Mexico, The men all wore khaki pants and shirts and played dominoes in the square around the court house on Saturday afternoons.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/12/21 10:45 PM

dominoes: retirement home entertainment.

aunt/uncle owned 2 when I was a kid (then they didn't when the feds busted them) and I used to hang out some and watched/played with the olds of yore.

no idea what games we played but my allowance didn't last long.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/12/21 11:42 PM

On party day all of the men would head to the woods before day light to squirrel hunt. They would split up and go to three or four different den trees and wait out the squirrels. By 8:00 AM they would have enough squirrels for a big stew that night before the games started. The stew was cooked in a big cast iron wash pot. Us kids were not allowed to go on these hunts because we could not be still or quite enough at the den trees. Did not have much money in those days but they knew how to enjoy their selfs.

was this in McKinney?
great story

my GParents
lived in Melissa
& did something similar

i play this & Wahoo
for great memories
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/12/21 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dognot
When I was a kid my parents and neighbors would play 42 almost every weekend. My grand parents lived in a farming community in New Mexico, The men all wore khaki pants and shirts and played dominoes in the square around the court house on Saturday afternoons.

another great story & memory
Posted By: Wool E. Booger

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/12/21 11:57 PM

Me and my family play 42 all the time. Anyone that doesn’t know how to play in the family better learn or be left out. Bunch of damn bohemians drinking beer, slamming domino’s and talking trash… good times.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/13/21 12:35 AM

I am probably the best 42 player alive.
There may have been some better who have passed.
I am nor affiliated with any professional or league play. I welcome fact checkers
Posted By: donothin

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/13/21 12:43 AM

My dad was a farmer and anytime he was not too busy, he would be at the local beer joint playing moon for so much a point and so much for a hickey. Often would play at home when the weather was bad. When he was younger, he played high stakes poker, mostly Texas holdem. They were games where you could win or lose 15 to 25 thousand in a night or two. He was good, not always the winner but typically won significantly more than he lost over a month period. When he had a losing streak, he would go back to Prince Albert tobacco and not much was spent on things not necessary. Usually had a lot of cash around the house for a game. Later, after 75 or so, he played more dominoes. Moon was their game as he always said it required more skill than 42.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/13/21 01:12 AM

Grew up playing Pitch and Moon. And all kinds of card games taught to me by my elders. Cribbage also.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/13/21 01:33 AM

I grew up in Marshall Tx, and we went to a small community center in Woodlawn, Tx. They had tables set up for plain dominoes off to the side, but the main area was all 42 tables. Like others have said, all of the kids were outside playing on the swings and other items along with exploring the calf roping arena. If it was raining too hard or with lightening we would have to stay inside and be quiet. In other words we learned to pays dominoes and 42. As a family, when we would all come home for holidays and birthdays we would play 42. Sure wish I could play one more time against mom and dad, they were tough to beat.
Posted By: Beak47

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/13/21 12:55 PM

When the “Downer” on straight slammed the “rock” down hard and glared at his opponents he either had a great hand- or nothing and was bluffing! With several tables going it could get pretty noisy! Lot of fun and also lots of BS!
Posted By: PondFish

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/13/21 01:24 PM

When we get at least four of my buddies together a game of 42 will break out.
Posted By: bigrebar

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/13/21 01:44 PM

Been way to long, grew up playing moon and 42.
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/13/21 02:27 PM

we did this growing up too. I had several aunts and uncles, we'd all gather at my grandparents house. Old frame house no central heat or air. Early 70's, everyone of age, including the dog smoked. Was a 2' nicotine fog hovering overhead. Screen door slamming with kids running in and out of the house.

I want to go back to those days.
Posted By: rangerb

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/13/21 03:10 PM

Taught all my grandkids to play checkers and straight dominoes. The youngest, 15 bought a set of dominoes loves it, and has gotten pretty good. I think they still have tournaments locally occasionally.

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/13/21 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by butch sanders

was this in McKinney?
great story

my GParents
lived in Melissa
& did something similar
i play this & Wahoo
for great memories

No, it was a little further East in Hunt County.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/13/21 04:00 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/13/21 04:01 PM

There was a little country store in the neighborhood with a shade tree out front. Some of the men was always out there playing straight dominoes on a home made wooden table. I remember that table had a worn dished out place in the center from shuffling the dominoes for years and years. I also remember my buddies and I getting in serious trouble for throwing a chicken snake on that table while they were between hands. We were not allowed close to that table for a long time after that. All of us boys got a pretty good beating when they told our Dads about it, but when they were off to their selfs they would talk about it and laugh. Probably did the same stuff when they were kids.
Posted By: machinist

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/13/21 06:57 PM

I worked at the power plant here on Lake Graham for 28 years. We played about every form of dominos you could think at lunch time every day. I could not even guess how many games I played over the years.
As a side note I played with Willie one Saturday while visiting a friend in Hillsboro. I am guessing the they must play a lot
of dominoes while riding down the road on their buses because Willie was a damn good player.
Posted By: Space

Re: Dominoes, the games - 09/13/21 09:01 PM

Played straight at work it got real cut throat at times but a lot of fun.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum