Texas Fishing Forum

Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines

Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 01:48 AM

Long story short- Deplaned twice. Sat on plane at gate for almost 40 minutes waiting on crew. Had to be close to 90 in there. Wearing a mask made it worse. Deplaned a second time because of “legality and other issues” - per captain. Hung at the terminal for another 20 minutes then they cancelled the flight. Rebooked me for Wednesday????? No thanks. I’ll just stay home.

I lost an entire day of work, and had to cancel 7 meetings because they can’t get their [censored] straight.

DO NOT FLY AMERICAN AIRLINES.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 01:51 AM

Yeah, my family was delayed coming back from Orlando on AA...and my sister and her family had similar issues flying from Chicago to NY on Southwest....it's not just American.
Posted By: DI

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 01:53 AM

It’s all of them right now. Rebooting after closing down an entire country is hard. Had same with experience leaving Colorado.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 01:53 AM

I haven't flown since 1996, I freed myself from "the man" years ago.

Sorry for your troubles
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 01:59 AM

Their new name is "UnAmerican Airlines".

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 02:01 AM

I wonder if the chartered flights for the border people are delayed?
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 02:02 AM

What a world
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 02:14 AM

Delta sat me on a runway 3 hrs and 45 min at Laguardia August 3 years ago. I won't fly Delta nor connect through Laguardia ever again.

All you people who are upset should choose your travel choices based on your positive and negative experiences.
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas J
I wonder if the chartered flights for the border people are delayed?

They flew on one of betos organizations jets.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 02:24 AM

They are struggling like the rest of us for employees, I would be pissed too but its hard to hold it against them right now.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Happykamper
They are struggling like the rest of us for employees, I would be pissed too but its hard to hold it against them right now.

This^^^^^

I struggle daily trying to hire people, it sucks.

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 12:15 PM

Just want to say this about AA. When I went on my trip to Maine fishing in May I used them as my carrier. On time, professional employees,
and great schedules. They met my every expectation and would get a solid A from me.
Posted By: Hook'Em 79

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 12:20 PM

I’m an American Admiral Club member and they are the only airline I will fly.

Sorry for your troubles, that does suck.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 12:38 PM

Last year before the pandemic set in, normal times. I boarded AA at DFW for a flight from Dallas to Hong Kong onto Philippine.

Sit on the plane about 2 hours while they fixed some issue with the drinking water, after 2 hours they said to deplane we would catch another plane a few hours later around 1pm. No biggie got off grab some lunch and waited at the new terminal. 1pm comes and we are not loading all of the sudden announcement is they can't find a pilot so the flight is cancelled. Go to front desk and make new flight plans.

Thankfully I only had carry on and didn't have to get my luggage, so I was ahead of most people making new flight plans. I was able to jump on plane to London, and then change planes there and hop on a plane to Hong Kong and then onto Manila. When I left I went Manila, Japan onto DFW. I was able to fly around the world on that trip.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 12:41 PM

They are seeing a surge in passengers lately. UA and AA just yesterday said they were bring back thousands of their furloughed employees immediately. Seems like things are getting back to normal.

I hope this upsurge in Covid cases does not turn that trend around.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 12:47 PM

Having flown just about every carrier out there over the past 40 years, I can say I have had at least one major issue with all of them at one time.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 01:35 PM

That is a bad day.
Posted By: DI

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 01:38 PM

Only a carry on for a trip to Asia?

Originally Posted by RedRanger
Last year before the pandemic set in, normal times. I boarded AA at DFW for a flight from Dallas to Hong Kong onto Philippine.

Sit on the plane about 2 hours while they fixed some issue with the drinking water, after 2 hours they said to deplane we would catch another plane a few hours later around 1pm. No biggie got off grab some lunch and waited at the new terminal. 1pm comes and we are not loading all of the sudden announcement is they can't find a pilot so the flight is cancelled. Go to front desk and make new flight plans.

Thankfully I only had carry on and didn't have to get my luggage, so I was ahead of most people making new flight plans. I was able to jump on plane to London, and then change planes there and hop on a plane to Hong Kong and then onto Manila. When I left I went Manila, Japan onto DFW. I was able to fly around the world on that trip.
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 01:44 PM

To be clear-
I have been a devout AA customer for decades; Admiral’s Club Member; Platinum status; and a shareholder. I have always preferred AA. My biggest beef with them right now is-

They didn’t prepare to resume business post-pandemic like they should have.
Their planes are old and frequently have “mechanical problems.”
They OFTEN overbook (most airlines do this).
I read somewhere that they didn’t maintain pilot re-certs throughout the pandemic, thus causing a bottleneck now.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 01:50 PM

We got stuck on the plane a few years back cause the latch broke on overhead bin. After an hour of trying to fix it a true genius from maintenance stepped in and duct taped it shut. Everyone clapped and we took off. I hope that guy got a good raise and promotion.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI
We got stuck on the plane a few years back cause the latch broke on overhead bin. After an hour of trying to fix it a true genius from maintenance stepped in and duct taped it shut. Everyone clapped and we took off. I hope that guy got a good raise and promotion.

Real American Hero
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 02:04 PM

All airlines have issues occasionally!
Posted By: skeeter175

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 02:05 PM

At my employer here at Love field,management has offered all overtime at double time pay,in an effort to get enough manpower to handle the heavy work load,they were caught by surprise with the number of people flying post pandemic.
Even with the double pay overtime being offered,they are still way under staffed both,on the ground,and inflight.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by DI

Carry on only, one carry on bag and as back pack.

30 day trip to Philippines where its tropical weather. All I need is shorts, wife beaters, T shirts and underwear. I go to pharmacy when I arrive and buy soap, deoderant, toothpaste, etc.

I take my clothes to a Laundry Shop where they wash, dry and fold same day for $1 per 2 lbs. I go about once a week.

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by DI

Clothes other than shorts, undies, and a t-shirt are optional in the Philippines. That, a bar of soap, and a toothbrush is all one needs.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 03:13 PM

I avoid American Airlines and all other carriers at DFW airport like the plague. If Southwest doesn't fly there, I'm not going.
Posted By: Mudman63

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by DI

30 day trip to Philippines where its tropical weather. All I need is shorts, wife beaters, T shirts and underwear. I go to pharmacy when I arrive and buy soap, deoderant, toothpaste, etc.

I take my clothes to a Laundry Shop where they wash, dry and fold same day for $1 per 2 lbs. I go about once a week.

I do this for business travel, no need to carry anything in excess. Wrinkles in starched business clothes can be removed by hanging in the hotel bathroom while the hot water shower is run for about 5-10 minutes.
Posted By: Canino

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 03:46 PM

I know there are going to be occasional problems, but what gets me is that the gate agents lie about those problems. AA gate agents are the biggest liars in the industry.

I had a flight a couple of years ago where we weren't boarding on time, and I heard the gate agent tell people 4 different stories. Weather at the destination. Waiting on an inbound flight with lots of connections. Waiting on baggage handlers to pull a passenger's luggage off. They even announced that they were waiting for it to cool off because it was somehow illegal for them to board the plane above a certain temperature (it was about 80 degrees in Florida and a couple of hours after sunset - it wasn't going to get any cooler).

I could see on my phone there was no weather at the destination. There were no additional passengers who showed up at the gate late. The baggage crew was gone. But I could clearly see a team of mechanics running around out there, and I overheard the flight attendants talking about the APU (auxiliary power unit) being down again. That had been the problem the whole time, but they told people pretty much everything other than that it was a mechanical issue.

They couldn't fix it after an hour, so we all boarded the plane that was at the same temperature it had been before, got a push-back, and took off without a working APU.
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 04:41 PM

As a million miler on AA and UA. I prefer to fly Southwest. Extremely polite and professional.
Posted By: Jeff Schiller

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 05:20 PM

It's all airlines.

Flight from Newark to DFW on United. Storm brewing over DFW and not enough fuel to circle. They diverted us to Amarillo where they said we'd gas and go.
About the time the wheels touch down in Amarillo, they announce the flight crew is over their hours and we'd have to get another crew. De-planed and waited a couple hours for a new crew.
They gave us meal vouchers..which was cool. For the one restaurant in that podunk airport. Thought about renting a car and driving from Amarillo to Dallas. But there wasn't a car rental facility. lol
Posted By: bshort

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 05:36 PM

I've gad to sit in DFW for hours while they try to find a crew for the next leg. It happens. I'll still use them, as they fly into Killeen and save me some driving.
Posted By: Flippy

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 07:51 PM

I booked a flight on SW from Hobby to Baltimore then onto Norfolk to have SW cancel the connecting flight 2 months later. They rebooked me on the next flight which went from a 2 hour layover to 7 hour layover. I called and asked and their response was that they just make up flights when you book out that far in advance. I will never fly with them again along with the fact they were mask nazis and called me out because I didn't put my face diaper back on in between sips.
Posted By: Ted Dyer

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by RayBob
Delta sat me on a runway 3 hrs and 45 min at Laguardia August 3 years ago. I won't fly Delta nor connect through Laguardia ever again.

All you people who are upset should choose your travel choices based on your positive and negative experiences.

If you fly enough, you come to realize they all suck. One airline is better than another until it isn't.
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/20/21 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Flippy
I booked a flight on SW from Hobby to Baltimore then onto Norfolk to have SW cancel the connecting flight 2 months later. They rebooked me on the next flight which went from a 2 hour layover to 7 hour layover. I called and asked and their response was that they just make up flights when you book out that far in advance. I will never fly with them again along with the fact they were mask nazis and called me out because I didn't put my face diaper back on in between sips.

Non-US based international carriers are notorious for that practice

I’ve seen them completely pull service out of a city and use the equipment on more profitable routes. They ignore the fact that they’ve left thousands of passengers with paid fares stranded.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/21/21 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by DI

All he needs is shorts, crocs, and several sleeveless tee shirts. He has the wantin' wimmins on each corner catering to his every need, even washing his clothes.

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/21/21 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by DI

Please follow Jack for more useful travel tips thumb
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/22/21 12:53 AM

All airlines can be horrible in their own special way at times. You might get on a good streak for a while but look out it’s eventually coming.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/22/21 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ted Dyer
Originally Posted by RayBob

If you fly enough, you come to realize they all suck. One airline is better than another until it isn't.

Very true statement.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/22/21 02:54 AM

My daughter works at SW so my choice of airlines is simple.
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/22/21 03:04 AM

Did you tell them how much this affected your life? Did you tell them who you are and why this can’t happen to you? Maybe ask them to just fly the damn plane and not worry about their policy so much.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Terrible day - Thank you American Airlines - 07/22/21 02:22 PM

Ain't them... They're just following the rules... Thank the FAA... Dan
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum