Texas Fishing Forum

New truck advice

Posted By: cephusjoe

New truck advice - 07/11/21 02:07 AM

All right guys,

I’m looking at getting a new truck next summer. I pull a fx20 and the boat is actually heavier than expected. I currently own an 02 Chevy and the truck does fine pulling “a tad on the weaker side” and over heats during the summer months. We bought the wife a 15 Tahoe and it pulls the boat pretty good.

I’m looking at the Ford and the Chevy only. I’m torn between the motors and comfort. My wife’s Tahoe 15 leather are the most uncomfortable seats I’ve sat in, but I know they have corrected that.

I’m looking at the classic 5.0 and 5.3…

The 3.5 eco boost and the new inline 6 duramax.

Any insight and thoughts would be appreciated.

Cephus
Posted By: Kentucky

Re: New truck advice - 07/11/21 02:14 AM

I would not do the ecoboost. IMHO
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: New truck advice - 07/11/21 02:14 AM

I have a 2015 ford with the 5.0 and tow package. Its a beast.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: New truck advice - 07/11/21 02:27 AM

I just went to see Monte Coon to get a new truck. Ended up getting a new Silverado Trail Boss and was lucky enough to get one without the AFM or DFM fuel management systems. It is a real truck without that junk. Due to chip shortage Chevy is making a few models without the AFM/DFM add ons. It has the 5.3 same as my last 3 and pulled my 20-21' Skeeters just fine. Heck this is the first one with 4x4 I have had in years. Should be just as good as my other trucks.

Re: New truck advice - 07/11/21 02:31 AM

Thanks! Yes if I go with the Chevy I will be buying from from moritz because of the sponsorship they do with honey hole outdoors( annual membership since 2015). Although I will be looking at the full size bed for a pop up camper.
Posted By: Jeremyworm

Re: New truck advice - 07/11/21 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
I have a 2015 ford with the 5.0 and tow package. Its a beast.

My 2013 has the same setup and I love it. Always been a Chevy guy but this Ford seems bulletproof.
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: New truck advice - 07/11/21 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kentucky

Said every Tundra owner 6 months ago. You cannot beat the Ford 3.5l Eco for towing. Period

Ps- my 2013 3.5l has 103k miles and the engine has been rock solid
Posted By: BassFever

Re: New truck advice - 07/11/21 03:12 AM

If you go Chevy make sure it has the 10sp not the 8sp.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: New truck advice - 07/11/21 08:12 AM

another f150/5.0 2014 here.

128,000 and still gettin it done. grin
Posted By: WAWI

Re: New truck advice - 07/11/21 11:58 AM

My tundra tows like a champ

Re: New truck advice - 07/11/21 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Samsonsworld

Said every Tundra owner 6 months ago. You cannot beat the Ford 3.5l Eco for towing. Period

My bil has that setup on his farm truck. The thing never breaks down
Posted By: n2ratfishin

Re: New truck advice - 07/11/21 12:37 PM

The3.5 Eco will be the tow rig of the choices you listed. Any of them will pull a bass boat.
Posted By: Flyfisherman

Re: New truck advice - 07/11/21 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI

You damn Aledo people and your spaceship haulers.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: New truck advice - 07/11/21 12:56 PM

Whichever has the most HP and torque. You may not always need it but it's nice to have... Dan

Re: New truck advice - 07/11/21 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Flyfisherman
Originally Posted by WAWI

You damn Aledo people and your spaceship haulers.

And McMansions.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: New truck advice - 07/11/21 02:41 PM

Love my eco boost. Easily tows my boat and I got a little over 22mpg when I drove it to Texas and back lest week.
Posted By: gander

Re: New truck advice - 07/11/21 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dan21XRS
Whichever has the most HP and torque. You may not always need it but it's nice to have... Dan
I agree with this but at the lowest RPM = ecoboost
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: New truck advice - 07/11/21 02:56 PM

Why not get a semi-truck cab. You couldn't beat it for comfort and towing. The prices between one and a new pickup are not that much different.
Posted By: bshort

Re: New truck advice - 07/11/21 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
I just went to see Monte Coon to get a new truck. Ended up getting a new Silverado Trail Boss and was lucky enough to get one without the AFM or DFM fuel management systems. It is a real truck without that junk. Due to chip shortage Chevy is making a few models without the AFM/DFM add ons. It has the 5.3 same as my last 3 and pulled my 20-21' Skeeters just fine. Heck this is the first one with 4x4 I have had in years. Should be just as good as my other trucks.

They still have the DFM valvetrain, just not the software to make the lifters deactivate. This would be the same as someone putting a "Range" device on an operational DFM truck.

Op, if you're opting for a 1/2 ton, get the 6.2/10 speed option. Seriously, you'll be glad you did.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: New truck advice - 07/11/21 04:39 PM

Ecoboost pulls like a boss
Posted By: Moto-Moto

Re: New truck advice - 07/11/21 05:09 PM

I love my old PPD 6.7 Powerstroke. But the newer 6.7s are just as tough stock.
Posted By: Fish2Chill 1

Re: New truck advice - 07/11/21 11:25 PM

Just be sure to check the capacity of truck as you mentioned a pop up (slide in ?) camper might be in your future.
Many have very low load capacity and the tongue weight when towing the boat will count against the total.
Might want to know exactly the weight of the truck camper before buying. Even some of the high end all aluminum models like 4 Wheel Campers can get up there for a loaded out half ton.
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: New truck advice - 07/12/21 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by gander

Smaller engines are not meant to turn a slower rpm. And adding 2 turbos is not very smart. Do some research about the turbos.

I'd get that diesel before I got the eco.

I'd get the ride from Monty before any others.
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: New truck advice - 07/12/21 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by MrRoachie

Smaller engines are not meant to turn a slower rpm. And adding 2 turbos is not very smart. Do some research about the turbos.

You don't want a turbo so buy the turbo diesel??? Those small turbo engines produce gobs of low rpm torque. You maintain speed better and have fewer downshifts. Do some research on naturally aspirated vs forced induction engines.
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: New truck advice - 07/12/21 12:13 PM

theres no replacement for displacement
Posted By: Allison1

Re: New truck advice - 07/12/21 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by MrRoachie

You don't want a turbo so buy the turbo diesel??? Those small turbo engines produce gobs of low rpm torque. You maintain speed better and have fewer downshifts. Do some research on naturally aspirated vs forced induction engines.

So long as the engine/drivetrain is designed to take the extra stress the 3.5 will handle it with the normal loads we put on it. I might not select it if I pulled heavy constantly as the little engine will probably wear faster than a higher displacement engine. For mpg's if I pulled constantly I'd probably run the 5.0 also.
I was really surprised how much better the 3.5 pulled the 7k load up the gauntlet than the 5.7 Ram did.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: New truck advice - 07/12/21 02:06 PM

Current owner of F150 3.5 Ecobeast...LOVE IT! Tows great, excellent gas mileage when not on the happy pedal, and best of all my...towing just about anything I can throw at it.

PS: I have around 72K miles on mine

Posted By: jcarring99

Re: New truck advice - 07/12/21 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Notaguide

He’s alive! How’s that east Texas living going? I’m buying a lot and will be building a spec home there soon in Diana
Posted By: Trx21

Re: New truck advice - 07/12/21 04:32 PM

On my 4th Eco Boost

10 speed transmission changed the game.

Only other truck I would consider is a diesel for pulling my boat. A Triton TRX 21

They are quick in sport mode.

The Chevy still looks like it's 2008 on the inside. It is almost maddening how little they have changed.

Go drive a 2021 Eco if you can find it. Then buy it!
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: New truck advice - 07/12/21 05:33 PM

I have a really good friend that owns a repair shop ( 30+ years ) , he says all the problems Ford had with the initial ECO-boosts have been solved . Surprisingly , he said most of the issues created from the turbo's had more to do with crankshaft bearing issues and not so many with the head . He likes the GM 5.3 and 6.2 , but says they are still dealing with tranny issues for the 6 and 8 speed .
He says the Tundra 5.7 and the Dodge 5.7 are the most reliable engines , but he feared the new Tundra 3.5 until they work through the initial issues .
When it came time for him to upgrade his old 2003 Dodge , he went with another Dodge Ram 1500 , 2020 Lariat version . He loves how it tows his 20 foot Ranger
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: New truck advice - 07/12/21 05:54 PM

I think we've got ten or so 3.5 Ecoboosts here at work, haul trailers all over north Texas on a weekly basis. I think the newest trucks are 19's and the oldest maybe 16 or 17 and very rarely have had any issues.

I drove a 16' 5.3 Chevy Z71 before, it just didn't have the suspension or braking to pull anything really heavy. I drive a 19' 3.5 now, and without hesitation would hook just about anything up to it. That 36 gallon fuel tank is pretty damn nice too.

Re: New truck advice - 07/12/21 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by jcarring99
Originally Posted by Notaguide

He’s alive! How’s that east Texas living going? I’m buying a lot and will be building a spec home there soon in Diana

It gets better every year Joel. I'm near Simmons and Davidson roads.
Posted By: BassFever

Re: New truck advice - 07/12/21 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by 1oldbassguy
I have a really good friend that owns a repair shop ( 30+ years ) , he says all the problems Ford had with the initial ECO-boosts have been solved . Surprisingly , he said most of the issues created from the turbo's had more to do with crankshaft bearing issues and not so many with the head . He likes the GM 5.3 and 6.2 , but says they are still dealing with tranny issues for the 6 and 8 speed .
He says the Tundra 5.7 and the Dodge 5.7 are the most reliable engines , but he feared the new Tundra 3.5 until they work through the initial issues .
When it came time for him to upgrade his old 2003 Dodge , he went with another Dodge Ram 1500 , 2020 Lariat version . He loves how it tows his 20 foot Ranger

I agree do NOT get a Chevy/GMC with the 8sp, only the 10sp. If the 6.2 with 10sp can't pull it you better buy a diesel.

Re: New truck advice - 07/12/21 07:38 PM

Thanks for all the information guys!

Re: New truck advice - 07/12/21 08:13 PM

2015 Chevy 6.2L with 110,000. Haven't had transmission problems yet but it feels wrong. Has since day one. Dealers have told me repeatedly it's performing as it should. It seems to me to get caught in-between gears a lot especially when slowing down for lights and then not having to completely stop.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: New truck advice - 07/12/21 09:12 PM

Laramie perhaps? Lariat is Ford
Posted By: BThomas

Re: New truck advice - 07/12/21 10:44 PM

I own a Tundra. Never said I would not do an ecoboost. I did say. I probably never own another Chevrolet after
all the brake problems I had with my 2015 and GM kept denying a problem. Now, with all the transmission problems
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: New truck advice - 07/13/21 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

Laramie perhaps? Lariat is Ford

yes
Posted By: RayBob

Re: New truck advice - 07/13/21 04:09 AM

Soaking all this in.

I think I may be done with GM. My 2007 5.3 GMC has been pretty darn good and now sits at 190K and I think it's time to get something new if I can find it. I'm really considering the 6.2L 2500 Ford.

Gotta pull up to 9000 lbs from time to time.

Not ruling out a Ram either.
Posted By: gander

Re: New truck advice - 07/13/21 12:20 PM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/aut...ter-this-friday/ar-AAM4brW?ocid=msedgntp
Posted By: hopalong

Re: New truck advice - 07/13/21 12:32 PM

ford, 5.0, superchips flashpaq tuner (tow based tuning), cold air intake and you're good to tow about anything you want to hook up. I tow a lot and about 25% is close to max capacity and no problems at all.

the eco is a great engine but I want the rotating mass of my v8 (and it sounds cool with the magnaflow exhaust).

were it me, 5.0, 4x4/offroad pkg, heavy tow pkg with aftermarket airbags, 10 speed, superchips tuner and go for it.
Posted By: Zipster

Re: New truck advice - 07/13/21 01:39 PM

2014 F150 King Ranch 5.0 with tow package here. 96,000 on it and it runs and pulls great.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum