Texas Fishing Forum

Go Pro for fishing videos

Posted By: learnin to fish

Go Pro for fishing videos - 06/10/21 06:19 PM

I am interested in starting to make some fishing videos and posting them on YouTube. What Go Pro do you recommend? What kind of mount and wireless microphone have y’all used? I’d like to have a mount to record me going across the lake in addition to catching the fishing action.

I’ve seen some really good videos posted on TFF so would appreciate the help from those who have mastered it.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Go Pro for fishing videos - 06/10/21 06:26 PM

This sounds wonderful.
I would love to see more videos of people who are learning to fish.
Go pro is a game changer for sure.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Go Pro for fishing videos - 06/10/21 06:30 PM

get the latest greatest go pro (like a cell phone it will be outdated by the time you leave the store).

chest mount for fishing, it's out of the way and you can record rod/reel/action etc. mic is built in to the go pro, should need another mic.

I tried to mount mine on the new boat and the dam sticky would not hold well, on the other champion I put it on top of the outboard for running and it worked well.
get the floating case, mine has a big orange foam pad on back so should it fall in I can at least see it.

this was one of the old boat on fork with a hero 2. outboard mount works for me due to full boat coverage, chest mount is for narrating what you are doing.

turn the volume down, somehow youtube put some chitty tunes behind it.

Posted By: Mudman63

Re: Go Pro for fishing videos - 06/10/21 06:51 PM

Besides the camera, you need to think about data storage and a computer powerful enough to load the files for editing. Cray makes some really fast computers.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Go Pro for fishing videos - 06/10/21 07:03 PM

The older GoPro 4 and 5 will charge while filming but the new ones do not....extra batteries or turn the camera on and off regularly.
Posted By: 1ShotNoKills

Re: Go Pro for fishing videos - 06/10/21 07:10 PM

I always hire a film crew
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Go Pro for fishing videos - 06/10/21 07:24 PM

You are almost guaranteed to lose one in the water at some point.

I'd start with a cheap knock off like the Yi-4k or Akaso Brave7 and see how much you enjoy making videos (ps--it's a beating)

Keeping batteries charged, mounting or wearing the camera, dealing with clunky video processing software all suck
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Go Pro for fishing videos - 06/10/21 07:26 PM

I thought about one too... for fishing and put on the scooter. Then I remember I have 2 video cameras in the closet that haven't seen the light of day in several years.
Posted By: spazm09

Re: Go Pro for fishing videos - 06/10/21 07:33 PM

I would focus more of your energy on learning to edit the videos rather than worrying about which camera to get. A well edited video on a cheap camera will still be better than a poorly edited video from a top of the line camera. I know that's not what you were asking but just wanted to mention it.

Here's a camping/fishing channel I enjoy watching. I think this guy does a good job of editing his videos.

Posted By: MBradford

Re: Go Pro for fishing videos - 06/10/21 08:07 PM

Make sure you get a rod mount so you can capture all of the action.
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Go Pro for fishing videos - 06/10/21 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by outfishdya
This sounds wonderful.

Agreed! I’m practicing hitting the subscribe button in anticipation.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Go Pro for fishing videos - 06/11/21 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sawhorse
Originally Posted by outfishdya
This sounds wonderful.

Agreed! I’m practicing hitting the subscribe button in anticipation.

Liked
Posted By: PaulGrapevine

Re: Go Pro for fishing videos - 06/11/21 04:09 AM

Get whatever go pro you can get at Costco or Sam’s. Get a yolotek mount for it. Learn about looping when recording. Have fun!
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: Go Pro for fishing videos - 06/11/21 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong
get the latest greatest go pro (like a cell phone it will be outdated by the time you leave the store).

chest mount for fishing, it's out of the way and you can record rod/reel/action etc. mic is built in to the go pro, should need another mic.

I tried to mount mine on the new boat and the dam sticky would not hold well, on the other champion I put it on top of the outboard for running and it worked well.
get the floating case, mine has a big orange foam pad on back so should it fall in I can at least see it.

this was one of the old boat on fork with a hero 2. outboard mount works for me due to full boat coverage, chest mount is for narrating what you are doing.

turn the volume down, somehow youtube put some chitty tunes behind it.

Hope you took a beating as much as the camera did. You need a better mount!!!!
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: Go Pro for fishing videos - 06/11/21 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by spazm09
I would focus more of your energy on learning to edit the videos rather than worrying about which camera to get. A well edited video on a cheap camera will still be better than a poorly edited video from a top of the line camera. I know that's not what you were asking but just wanted to mention it.

Here's a camping/fishing channel I enjoy watching. I think this guy does a good job of editing his videos.

Thanks for posting this, I watched 2 hours of it

We need more Monty!
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Go Pro for fishing videos - 06/11/21 12:27 PM

Sounds fun, turns out it's a giant PITA. You spend more time tinkering and editing than you do fishing. Certainly not trying to discourage you though, maybe you like tinkering and editing more than fishing.
Posted By: learnin to fish

Re: Go Pro for fishing videos - 06/11/21 12:50 PM

I appreciate the comment. I love to fish and don’t want a video getting in the way of my fun. That is one reason I started this thread was to get comments. I have gotten lots of good ideas from all on here and am still mulling over what I want/plan to do with the original idea.

Originally Posted by Jpurdue
Sounds fun, turns out it's a giant PITA. You spend more time tinkering and editing than you do fishing. Certainly not trying to discourage you though, maybe you like tinkering and editing more than fishing.
Posted By: spazm09

Re: Go Pro for fishing videos - 06/11/21 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Scagnetti
Originally Posted by spazm09

Thanks for posting this, I watched 2 hours of it

We need more Monty!

No problem!
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Go Pro for fishing videos - 06/11/21 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by MrRoachie
You need a better mount!!!!

Maybe so...but you wouldn’t have said that back in the 80’s.
Posted By: Dave-0

Re: Go Pro for fishing videos - 06/11/21 04:08 PM

Man o man...I have a whole set up for you! Drone, 3 GoPro's, tons of mounts...the whole turn key operation. Haven't used it really since my days shooting rodeos.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Go Pro for fishing videos - 06/11/21 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by 1ShotNoKills
I always hire a film crew

This^^^^^^^^

And if people are watching my fishing videos they are paying big bucks for the privilege.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum