Texas Fishing Forum

cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types

Posted By: hopalong

cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/09/21 11:16 PM

got a fairly good sized chunk carved out of my left shoulder to get all the cancer out so, how deep would they have to cut to do nerve damage?

this is about 1/3 the size of the hole in the head and about 1/4" or just over deep, since then my ring and little finger on the left hand have had sort of a numbness to them, minor pain.

I know from acupuncture that one part is connected to another nerve wise, just wondering if this may be permanent or temporary till I heal.

can't wait to see what the 2 on the face are gonna do! roflmao
Posted By: RATZ

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/09/21 11:20 PM

could still be anesthesia wearing off
Posted By: Emit R Detsaw

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/09/21 11:21 PM

Depends on location probably. When I had a deep cut on my right arm I lost touch and temperature feeling in thumb, index, and middle finger for several years. Not sure what she did, but when my hand surgeon took a bone out of my hand a couple years back and added some wires, now that feeling is back.

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/09/21 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by RATZ
could still be anesthesia wearing off

that only took a few hrs. all I got was a local, next 2 will be locals but I guess are gonna take a while. called mohs surgery, I may be in the chair for a couple hrs. or more.
Posted By: SgtDag

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/09/21 11:24 PM

When I had back surgery it took months for the numbness to go away in my left foot. My sciatic pain was really bad. My left foot still hurts to walk on a hard floor to this day but I think it was from the sciatic nerve damage I did, not knowing I was doing it cause the back pain was so bad.
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/10/21 12:48 AM

My magic medical 8 ball says it may be inflammation, COVID, AIDS or you're old. Have you run your symptoms through petMD?

Sorry you have to go through that carp Hop, that sucks
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/10/21 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by ReelBusy
My magic medical 8 ball says it may be inflammation, COVID, AIDS or you're old. Have you run your symptoms through petMD?

Sorry you have to go through that carp Hop, that sucks

This^

You got the AIDS! peep
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/10/21 12:59 AM

Well, that should be the ulnar nerve that is affected....to hit it, I believe it would have to be fairly deep...

What about the left side of the middle finger....is it having that same issue?
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/10/21 01:01 AM

I will now channel my inner CCTX;

"Predicting long term impact is difficult. Without reviewing records on this particular procedure as well as understanding your clinical history, its hard to give an informed opinion. However, stay hydrated, eat well. Lots of leafy greens and some fruit. Limit red meats. DO NOT use Tabaco. Plenty of exercise and be sure to check in with your PCP and follow his or her suggestions closely"

Now... if a snagged jig comes flying back at 120mph and nails you in the arm and welts start forming and it turns black and purple and gets as big as a baseball in minutes he might say something like "Hope you did not hurt your (lady parts)". Then he will consult the maps for that next likely looking funnel point... In theory. Not sayin that happened. But in theory.

Posted By: Fishingking

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/10/21 01:11 AM

They keep cutting until they get the report back from the lab saying all clear
Posted By: Beak47

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/10/21 01:20 AM

Bunch of good friends to have eh Hop? dang
Posted By: CCTX

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/10/21 01:24 AM

What part of your shoulder?

Extremely unlikely it’s from the incision, possibly positioning with temporary compression of the ulnar nerve at the elbow in the cubital tunnel or temporary tourniquet compression.
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/10/21 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong
if you didn't have any family, only a very few friends that really mattered (would come with just a phone call, yeah, most of y'all are too far anyway) how would you make out a will?

I do not want the state to get my boat/truck etc. and even though they may not be worth that much cash wise, they mean something to me.

how would you handle that chit?

I hope you’ve addressed this situation and have accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as your Personal Savior
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/10/21 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by CCTX
What part of your shoulder?

Extremely unlikely it’s from the incision, possibly positioning with temporary compression of the ulnar nerve at the elbow in the cubital tunnel or temporary tourniquet compression.

That means "Hope you did not hurt your (lady parts)". Pretty sure a cubital tunnel is a lady part. I have a degree from UNLV in Criminal Justice so I know these things.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/10/21 01:36 AM

Dan, I'm starting to think CCTX's hope went unfulfilled and some of your parts were hurt....It's the emotional wounds that take the longest to heal.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/10/21 01:37 AM

Most docs are just getting a paycheck if it makes you uneasy dont do it.had one take a 2 inch chunk out of my back for a mole.it hurt for years

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/10/21 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fishingking
They keep cutting until they get the report back from the lab saying all clear

that is the next 2, this one was a scrape till you hit bone I think, same as the top of the head when they did it.

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/10/21 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Beak47
Bunch of good friends to have eh Hop? dang

expected, a simple question goes to 42 pages and still only a couple of reasonable answers but I did get a few chuckles out of it.

roflmao
Posted By: Dave-0

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/10/21 01:34 PM

Damn dude...can't help you with the problems, but hoping you get to feeling better soon! Reading all this, I thought my left leg going numb was a part of growing old. Now it seems to be something deeper.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/10/21 01:36 PM

Hops, I'm just now on scene of this wreck.

Doc CC had a clever retort which could be your answer and Dan had some good points too (that hurt to say).

I would think that any dermal surgery would not get into the nerve pathways which are mostly protected by/under muscle tissue. The exception would be when crossing bony joints and yes the ulnar nerve is fully exposed here (funny bone). The radial and ulner nerves are the 2 main nerve roots and they arise via C5-T1. At the shoulder the normal pathway is deep within the axilla region. For all you lay types that would be the arm pit. They seem to run thru the anterior shoulder more.

[Linked Image]

The ulnar is the one that innervates the motor and sensory little finger while the 4th finger gets some from both the ulnar and radial nerves.. I feel safe in saying that the surgeon missed your nerve pathways with his knife. This leaves us with the question of what the heck happened .

I think we can rule out AIDS and COVID-19 for the most parts. Which leads us to Doc CC's thoughts. I'm grateful that this set of thoughts was organized and seemed on point which has been slipping as of late. Positioning while doing surgery. Did they use a general anesthesia. Doesn't seem likely they did a nerve block but maybe. Either way they can move and manipulate your arm and shoulder in ways that you wouldn't normally do while pain is absent to prevent these movements and could have stressed the nerves or even entrapped them in some way.

My recommendations is rest of the affected appendage. No stress movements. On your follow up at the office tell them the effed your arm up and ask the WTH?

On a side note when I had the big 6'5" patient that was getting a bit loud and starting to act out in the ICU while I had him sitting outside his room where I could watch his olde azz . Per the doc at the time said I should give him a sedative to "calm" him. I think I gave him Haldol via IM injection. It knocked his d1(k in the dirt . . . FAST. I needed to get him back in bed before he fell out of the chair. Got him back to the edge of the bed by dragging the chair, stood him up to pivot him into bed and he collapsed onto the top of me. I had to feed sack his beeg ol butt onto the bed and in the process tore my inguinal regions.

Didn't notice the injury at the time but over the weekend I ached "down there". I rested Sunday, the pain went away, I went to work on Monday and started hurting mid morning. I went down and caught the trauma surgeon in the Medical ICU, told him my plight, at which time we went into an exam room (the bathroom) where I did the turn my head and cough thingy. Had repair surgery on Wednesday. Yeah, they put in a floor mesh.

I tell you all this to say . . . I still can't feel my left nutt. Been 3 years. Sometimes nerves don't reconnect if they've been cut.

Had my whole right hand loose strength after a weekend of crawling around laying laminate flooring. It would just fold up trying to put my hand in my pocket. No pain and no numbness. 3 days rest per the neurosurgeon and I've been great ever since. Rest can help if you've just stressed a nerve.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/10/21 01:36 PM

Rub some dirt in it.

Seriously though, hope you get well soon dude
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/10/21 04:03 PM

lconn told me he’s had worse cuts on his eyeballs before.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/10/21 05:45 PM

Dang Hop, hopefully all of these heal quickly and they get all of the cancer. The place they cut out on my right forearm a month ago had almost filled in back to flush with the surrounding area. Hope the feeling comes back soon.

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/10/21 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by RayBob
Hops, I'm just now on scene of this wreck.

Doc CC had a clever retort which could be your answer and Dan had some good points too (that hurt to say).

I would think that any dermal surgery would not get into the nerve pathways which are mostly protected by/under muscle tissue. The exception would be when crossing bony joints and yes the ulnar nerve is fully exposed here (funny bone). The radial and ulner nerves are the 2 main nerve roots and they arise via C5-T1. At the shoulder the normal pathway is deep within the axilla region. For all you lay types that would be the arm pit. They seem to run thru the anterior shoulder more.

[Linked Image]

The ulnar is the one that innervates the motor and sensory little finger while the 4th finger gets some from both the ulnar and radial nerves.. I feel safe in saying that the surgeon missed your nerve pathways with his knife. This leaves us with the question of what the heck happened .

I think we can rule out AIDS and COVID-19 for the most parts. Which leads us to Doc CC's thoughts. I'm grateful that this set of thoughts was organized and seemed on point which has been slipping as of late. Positioning while doing surgery. Did they use a general anesthesia. Doesn't seem likely they did a nerve block but maybe. Either way they can move and manipulate your arm and shoulder in ways that you wouldn't normally do while pain is absent to prevent these movements and could have stressed the nerves or even entrapped them in some way.

My recommendations is rest of the affected appendage. No stress movements. On your follow up at the office tell them the effed your arm up and ask the WTH?

On a side note when I had the big 6'5" patient that was getting a bit loud and starting to act out in the ICU while I had him sitting outside his room where I could watch his olde azz . Per the doc at the time said I should give him a sedative to "calm" him. I think I gave him Haldol via IM injection. It knocked his d1(k in the dirt . . . FAST. I needed to get him back in bed before he fell out of the chair. Got him back to the edge of the bed by dragging the chair, stood him up to pivot him into bed and he collapsed onto the top of me. I had to feed sack his beeg ol butt onto the bed and in the process tore my inguinal regions.

Didn't notice the injury at the time but over the weekend I ached "down there". I rested Sunday, the pain went away, I went to work on Monday and started hurting mid morning. I went down and caught the trauma surgeon in the Medical ICU, told him my plight, at which time we went into an exam room (the bathroom) where I did the turn my head and cough thingy. Had repair surgery on Wednesday. Yeah, they put in a floor mesh.

I tell you all this to say . . . I still can't feel my left nutt. Been 3 years. Sometimes nerves don't reconnect if they've been cut.

Had my whole right hand loose strength after a weekend of crawling around laying laminate flooring. It would just fold up trying to put my hand in my pocket. No pain and no numbness. 3 days rest per the neurosurgeon and I've been great ever since. Rest can help if you've just stressed a nerve.

thank you sir, you are a scholar and a gentleman of the first level. grin

this is the current hole, no idea what the face is gonna end up lookin like, as long as it doesn't resemble davedave or dan I am probably good.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/10/21 06:08 PM

there went my lunch....
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/10/21 06:33 PM

I suggest that you limit movement for a day or two and drink as much bourbon as you can afford. If you get too much call me and I will come and help take care of the leftover medicinal medicine to insure it does not go bad.
Posted By: Tsunami_1

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/10/21 11:57 PM

Gotta love this thread. Leave a medical facility to come jump on the Fishing Forum for medical advice. Sounds logical. RayBob and others gave sound advice but I'm leaning towards the "medical 8 ball". I think it's got a good chance.

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/11/21 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tsunami_1
Gotta love this thread. Leave a medical facility to come jump on the Fishing Forum for medical advice. Sounds logical. RayBob and others gave sound advice but I'm leaning towards the "medical 8 ball". I think it's got a good chance.

screw that, I am printing off all the comments and gonna tape them to a wall and toss a dart, tween that and the 8 ball I think we got this.
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/11/21 12:06 AM

Can we do a find the critter with that pic?

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/11/21 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sawhorse

if you do please notify me immediately so I can take adequate measures to eradicate it.

grin

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/11/21 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tsunami_1

they cut on me on the 4th.
Posted By: Tommar

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/11/21 02:26 AM

I’m not even sure just what I’m looking at but I can tell ya it ain’t purty!

Is this all sun damaged skin cancer?

Hope it works out for you and you’re back in action soon!
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/11/21 02:54 AM

Hope for the best for ya Hop. I say this in a good way too, you are one tough son of a bitch Hop. Getting old is not for the timid.
Posted By: Trebor Neil

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/11/21 04:00 AM

Every time I go to the Dermatology Clinic at the VA, I ask about you (Because I have had and finding more of what you have) They give me a wierd look and a shake of the head..............Should I just shut up ?
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/11/21 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong
Originally Posted by Sawhorse

if you do please notify me immediately so I can take adequate measures to eradicate it.

grin

Looks like they already used tannerite. That should’ve done it. grin

Be well, Hop! Praying for you and your doctors!
Posted By: TR176

Re: cctx, ray bob or any other for real medical types - 06/11/21 04:22 AM

All I know if anybody complained of “nerve pain” they were given nuerontin aka gabapentin for a few days and then given a pop sickle.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum