Texas Fishing Forum

I think I have an update on the Bill 1927

Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/19/21 01:55 PM

Looks like its going well? Or not? Its really hard to tell!

Here is a quote-

"Afterward, Phelan tweeted that he and Patrick "are energized and optimistic" that the chambers will reach a compromise on the bill and get it to Abbott's desk "very soon." Patrick echoed that optimism in his own subsequent tweet, saying the legislation was close to the finish line "despite an avalanche of misinformation and just plain lies from outside agitators."

But then the next paragraph says not so fast, there are people attaching other things to the bill and it wont pass??

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/0...6254493.1621431979-1043832964.1619105335

Can someone smarter than me inform us what is really going on? And when we can get this passed?
Posted By: John175☮

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/19/21 04:04 PM

Can they do it in the 12 Legislative session days left? They couldn't in the first 128 days.
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/19/21 04:13 PM

It ain't gonna happen.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/19/21 04:15 PM

pathetic.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/19/21 05:02 PM

So this not going to pass?

Where is Bob Davis? He said it would pass. This makes me sad.
Posted By: Hookem

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/19/21 05:05 PM

I see "Special Session" coming.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/19/21 05:16 PM

Does anyone really want everyone in the OT carrying? bang

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/19/21 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by lconn4

the ones who believe in the constitution certainly do.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/19/21 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
Originally Posted by lconn4

the ones who believe in the constitution certainly do.

The ones who don't are "Future Crime" experts.
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/19/21 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮

Yes, because of this I haz the sadz. I've had an LTC for 21 years now, so not that sad for me, but for the State of Texas if it does not pass. It makes us look wussy. Who wants to be a wuss besides libs?

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/19/21 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Davis

Yes, because of this I haz the sadz. I've had an LTC for 21 years now, so not that sad for me, but for the State of Texas if it does not pass. It makes us look wussy. Who wants to be a wuss besides libs?

Well aint this some stuff Bob?

I had faith in your conviction that we would be able to exercise our rights without asking permission.

I dont like that people do not look at facts. They look at their "feelings" or "beliefs" but not facts. This being case in point. Many other states allow this and they are not experiencing tons of gun crimes. Fact is that those states with the MOST restrictive gun laws have the most gun crimes.

What are we talking about here?

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/19/21 11:00 PM

I had faith in your conviction that we would be able to exercise our rights without asking permission.

I dont like that people do not look at facts. They look at their "feelings" or "beliefs" but not facts. This being case in point. Many other states allow this and they are not experiencing tons of gun crimes. Fact is that those states with the MOST restrictive gun laws have the most gun crimes.

Texas is too blue.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/19/21 11:09 PM

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/19/21 11:13 PM

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/19/21 11:52 PM

All the big city cesspools are democrat ran. Re: Dallas, Houston, Austin, etc. We need to see who voted for Constitutional carry and who was against it I suppose. You know how I would vote.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/19/21 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong

roflmao thumb
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/20/21 12:37 AM

hung

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/20/21 12:00 PM

Texas is too blue.

Is that really the problem?

Because there seems to be zero appetite for legalizing marijuana in any significant way at all even for medical purposes. And it looks like the governor just signed some very restrictive abortion laws.

So no weed, no abortion, and no guns?

This doesn't sound liberal or blue.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/21/21 11:02 PM

I hear they may have passed it now.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/21/21 11:45 PM

That would be nice.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/21/21 11:52 PM

I'll believe it when I see it.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/22/21 12:03 AM

Well the governor still has to sign it. Who knows.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/22/21 01:37 PM

So Lt. Gov. Is saying that he has the votes and that it will pass. And they made significant amendments to the bill in order to secure the votes and the governor should sign it next week.
What those amendments might be nobody is saying anything. The only thing I heard is that they likely added additional penalties for any felon caught carrying a weapon. That was the only detailed piece of information about changes to the bill that allowed it to pass.

I guess we'll find out more next week. But yes they're saying they have the votes and it's going to pass now.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/22/21 05:06 PM

So Lt. Gov. Is saying that he has the votes and that it will pass. And they made significant amendments to the bill in order to secure the votes and the governor should sign it next week.
What those amendments might be nobody is saying anything. The only thing I heard is that they likely added additional penalties for any felon caught carrying a weapon. That was the only detailed piece of information about changes to the bill that allowed it to pass.

I guess we'll find out more next week. But yes they're saying they have the votes and it's going to pass now.

Great for y’all

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/24/21 02:31 AM

Looks now like it should pass with the new modifications / amendments and it appears as though it has not been watered down. I'm betting in 2 or 3 days it will be signed and Texas will be in the ranks of the Constitutional carry states! So I think it will be a win for Texas and the 2nd Amendment. I have the pdf file but

Here is the hyperlink to the PDF file to read the Bill as Amended:

HB 1927

From the TSRA 5/23/2021

We have the Conference Committee Report on House Bill 1927 by Representative Matt Schaefer . There are many who had a part in this bill but Representative Schaeffer is the first one I'd like to commend for his relentless pursuit of our right restored. I'll share more when the bill passes.

I thought some of you would like to read it.

For those of you who don't want to get bogged down in the report, there is nothing in here that I can find that isn't good for us!

It seems to be mostly common sense things (like don't be intoxicated and carrying, bigger penalties for felons caught carrying, etc).

Put your champagne in the refrigerator (or your Bourbon, lol) but don't pull out the glasses, yet.

Save that for when the last gavel goes down hopefully in the next day or two and the bill is on its way to Governor Abbott!!

Andi Turner
Legislative Director
TSRA

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/24/21 02:35 AM

cheers

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/25/21 12:00 AM

Passed. On its way to Gov. Abbotts desk. As of Sept. 1, 2021, y'all can pack heat without an LTC as long as you are not a felon.

[Linked Image]

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/25/21 12:44 AM

Officially passed and waiting to be signed!!!
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/25/21 12:56 AM

Wife and I just got our renewal notifications. May hold off for a bit.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/25/21 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by tmd11111

She will still need them to go out of state unless every other state passes the same law. cheers
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/25/21 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66

She will still need them to go out of state unless every other state passes the same law. cheers

My Arizona one is still good so either way I'm covererd.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/25/21 01:22 AM

Now I need to figure out which pistol I want to get. Always liked a 1911 but that might be to bulky. Really not to wild about a 380, thinking maybe a 9mm. Haven't owned a handgun since 1985. Had two colt pythons one of them was the California Combat edition in 357 that had only about a box or two of rounds ran through it. Like a fool I traded them to a cop for a cheap shotgun and $500.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/25/21 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by ko bass attack 27
Now I need to figure out which pistol I want to get. Always liked a 1911 but that might be to bulky. Really not to wild about a 380, thinking maybe a 9mm. Haven't owned a handgun since 1985. Had two colt pythons one of them was the California Combat edition in 357 that had only about a box or two of rounds ran through it. Like a fool I traded them to a cop for a cheap shotgun and $500.

I love my bersa .380.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/25/21 01:40 AM

Thanks Bigbob_FTW I will check it out. I haven’t checked out pistols in almost 40 yrs. But my old tourney partner is a dealer and keeps up with it all. My wife carries a Ruger 380.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/25/21 01:47 AM

Love my classic Colt Detective 38 Special. Good enough for Dick Tracy.
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/25/21 02:06 AM

I’m shocked! I figured they would just run out the clock and say they tried but ran out of time.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/25/21 02:07 AM

Never in doubt!
Posted By: Rocky Robison

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/25/21 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by ko bass attack 27

If you are wanting something small to conceal with a lot of rounds, I'd check out the Smith & Wesson Shield Plus 9mm 14 rounds and almost as small as the original 7 shot Shield. 1 other is the Springfield Hellcat. In a holster outside the waistband covered by a shirt or coat I'd look at something like the S & W M&P 9 Compact with 17 rounds.
Posted By: Cmack

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/25/21 05:42 AM

EDC is a S&W Shield, shorts and T shirt carry is a Kahr CW 380

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/25/21 02:14 PM

I am glad this passed.

However I would by lying if I did not say I have no concerns at all about it. I have seen people in Academy buying handguns who literally had no idea how to load the weapon, much less would be able to use it a safe and effective way in high pressure situation. One day the guy at the gun counter was swamped and I stepped in and helped explain the basics to a young gay couple. They were confused about revolvers vs. semi auto, and why do shotguns have "huge bullets", and how do you clean a gun and what's a good gun to carry, where can you practice shooting etc. I helped them out and STRONGLY suggested they go take a lesson at range. Even had them look it up on their phone and review the options for lessons. The idea of those folks being able to carry is disconcerting. Not that the LTC class was rigorous but you did have to prove you could load the gun and kind know how to shoot it.

But I do not believe to playing down to lowest common dominator. Hopefully those folks are smart enough to realize they dont know what they dont know and not engage in carrying a weapon they are not very comfortable using.

The upside here is huge. Because like everything with guns, the guys not following the rules are doing this already. Level the playing field a bit.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/25/21 02:35 PM

I am glad this passed.

However I would by lying if I did not say I have no concerns at all about it. I have seen people in Academy buying handguns who literally had no idea how to load the weapon, much less would be able to use it a safe and effective way in high pressure situation. One day the guy at the gun counter was swamped and I stepped in and helped explain the basics to a young gay couple. They were confused about revolvers vs. semi auto, and why do shotguns have "huge bullets", and how do you clean a gun and what's a good gun to carry, where can you practice shooting etc. I helped them out and STRONGLY suggested they go take a lesson at range. Even had them look it up on their phone and review the options for lessons. The idea of those folks being able to carry is disconcerting. Not that the LTC class was rigorous but you did have to prove you could load the gun and kind know how to shoot it.

But I do not believe to playing down to lowest common dominator. Hopefully those folks are smart enough to realize they dont know what they dont know and not engage in carrying a weapon they are not very comfortable using.

The upside here is huge. Because like everything with guns, the guys not following the rules are doing this already. Level the playing field a bit.

Didn't you have to demonstrate shooting proficiency with 50 rds? I did. Several times since I have had my license since 1999. When you say "kinda know" how to shoot, are you saying that some folks did not have to demonstrate?

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/25/21 02:40 PM

I am glad this passed.

Didn't you have to demonstrate shooting proficiency with 50 rds? I did. Several times since I have had my license since 1999. When you say "kinda know" how to shoot, are you saying that some folks did not have to demonstrate?

No of course I had to shoot. But its not a hard test at all. You are strong hand or two hands all the time, you are not moving or having to move from station to station, its not timed, or if it is I never noticed, and I saw people who got off to bad starts get "mulligans" when testing for their LTC. When I went it was a big class and no one failed, even though a few brought incorrect ammo for their weapons...they still passed.

BUT you do have to load the gun yourself, and I have seen people buy handguns who would not know how to do that, not on their own.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/25/21 02:55 PM

No of course I had to shoot. But its not a hard test at all. You are strong hand or two hands all the time, you are not moving or having to move from station to station, its not timed, or if it is I never noticed, and I saw people who got off to bad starts get "mulligans" when testing for their LTC. When I went it was a big class and no one failed, even though a few brought incorrect ammo for their weapons...they still passed.

BUT you do have to load the gun yourself, and I have seen people buy handguns who would not know how to do that, not on their own.

Oh, I see. Only combat trained, shoot the eye of a fly at 100 yds while it is moving, should be able to have a license or carry a gun. I think you have been watching too much TV.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/25/21 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66

This is why I'm getting my CCW...it's to allow for carrying in other states outside of this great state of Texas.
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/25/21 02:58 PM

I am glad this passed.

I took the test this spring. The guy let me stop after 20 rounds because he didn’t want to see me blow through 50 rounds of expensive ammo. I thought that was kind of nice of him.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/25/21 04:24 PM

Oh, I see. Only combat trained, shoot the eye of a fly at 100 yds while it is moving, should be able to have a license or carry a gun. I think you have been watching too much TV.

No. What I am saying is that someone who carries a gun should be able to load it and have some level of competence with it. If you bring the wrong size ammo to your LTC class and did not know that 38 rounds dont go into a 45... That would make me nervous.

Actually, yes. Only combat trained people who can shoot out a penny out of the sky should be able to carry. That is my new stance. I am going with that.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/25/21 04:30 PM

No. What I am saying is that someone who carries a gun should be able to load it and have some level of competence with it. If you bring the wrong size ammo to your LTC class and did not know that 38 rounds dont go into a 45... That would make me nervous.

Actually, yes. Only combat trained people who can shoot out a penny out of the sky should be able to carry. That is my new stance. I am going with that.

Agree with the part that you should be familiar with safety and the workings of your gun. Target shooting practice is great, but today, that is a rich mans game. Crazy expensive. Don't be shooting pennies though, 100 of them will get you maybe two rounds of ammo.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/25/21 04:33 PM

Agree with the part that you should be familiar with safety and the workings of your gun. Target shooting practice is great, but today, that is a rich mans game. Crazy expensive. Don't be shooting pennies though, 100 of them will get you maybe two rounds of ammo.

cheers

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/28/21 11:12 AM

Any updates? Time is running out.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/28/21 12:22 PM

starting to look like smoke and mirrors.
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/28/21 12:54 PM

That would make me nervous too . Imagine getting in a pickle and your outnumbered and your backup is some goofball that can’t even figure out where the safety is or whatever silly ness .... they might just want to save a bullet for themselves .

Incompetent people are dangerous and that’s not just with guns . I see it all lot in the field you can get yourself and or everybody on site killed easily just by a clueless non informed act .

You bring up a good point Dan

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/28/21 04:40 PM

I guess technically they still have time...a dramatic signing while passing out commemorative pens. Might be waiting for the pen delivery.

The 87th Texas Legislature's regular session runs from Jan. 12 to May 31.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/29/21 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by John175☮

I guess technically they still have time...a dramatic signing while passing out commemorative pens. Might be waiting for the pen delivery.

Only news I can find is that it's passed and the Governor just needs to sign. He has said multiple times that he would sign it?

He's now not going to sign?

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/29/21 01:46 AM

Only news I can find is that it's passed and the Governor just needs to sign. He has said multiple times that he would sign it?

It would be political suicide.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/29/21 01:34 PM

It would be political suicide.

Maybe not...he'll take his chances with the polls.

[Linked Image]

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/05/24/texas-constitutional-carry-permitless-guns-legislature/

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/31/21 08:27 PM

Special session?

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/31/21 08:32 PM

It was a done deal. What happened?

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/31/21 08:36 PM

My understanding is it just has to be signed. What is the timeline on when the Gov has to sign?

It sounded like, he was going to sign it last week? But that did not happen not sure why. That said there we debating stuff last night, that if passed would have still needed his sig. So I am thinking he has some period of time, past today, to sign and its all good.

I did not take take Texas Government though. I went to school in Nevada, we had to take Nevada government and learned all of this. But not sure how it works in Texas.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/31/21 08:38 PM

I thought it was a done deal but doesn't start until Sept.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/31/21 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B
I thought it was a done deal but doesn't start until Sept.

Sent to the Gov. 6 days ago. Still not signed. Not that I can find anywhere at least.
Posted By: donothin

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/31/21 08:46 PM

I am sure you geniuses know but it was my impression that he had several days after the session to sign bills passed by both the house and senate. I must be wrong because I know you guys are never wrong.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/31/21 08:47 PM

I even thought that he did not have to sign it and unless he vetoed, it went to law without his signature. How could I be so mixed up.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/31/21 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by donothin
I am sure you geniuses know but it was my impression that he had several days after the session to sign bills passed by both the house and senate. I must be wrong because I know you guys are never wrong.

I even thought that he did not have to sign it and unless he vetoed, it went to law without his signature. How could I be so mixed up.

So which is it smart guy? He has days to sign or he does not need to sign?

I said straight up I was not sure how it worked. If you can shed light that on that it is appreciated.

As you also are demonstrating an ignorance to how it works for certain, it might bode well if you participate in the conversation and hold the snide remarks.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/31/21 10:19 PM

[Linked Image]
https://house.texas.gov/about-us/bi...,become%20law%20without%20a%20signature.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/31/21 10:43 PM

Good info!

I can dig it!!! Ohhhh yeahhh

[Linked Image]

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 05/31/21 11:36 PM

Good info!

I can dig it!!! Ohhhh yeahhh

[Linked Image]

If you want the truth, the real truth, the Macho Man brings it! Never trust a pathetic do nothing to give you the truth!

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 06/01/21 04:08 PM

Looks more like Macho Baby than Macho Man. How is it that you posted 5 times asking what happened? Once I gave you a clue, you googled it. Not much truth in your weak mind.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 06/01/21 04:15 PM

Looks more like Macho Baby than Macho Man. How is it that you posted 5 times asking what happened? Once I gave you a clue, you googled it. Not much truth in your weak mind.

I already knew the answer. I posted it because you gave yet another halfarse answer.
Posted By: Jons3825

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 06/01/21 04:40 PM

No one talking about HB957 though.... That is to me a more impressive win.

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 06/01/21 06:18 PM

No he did not call the Macho Man a Macho Baby!

[Linked Image]

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 06/01/21 10:32 PM

He did. Here is my baby picture.

[Linked Image]
No he did not call the Macho Man a Macho Baby!

[Linked Image]

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 06/06/21 02:37 PM

Did the Governor sign it yet?

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 06/16/21 11:36 PM

From Andi Turner of the TSRA:

Greetings!

Wonderful news from Governor Abbott this afternoon! Officially, HB 1927 Permitless Carry was signed today, but will be also part of a larger bill signing tomorrow.

TSRA is headed down to the signing at the Alamo for the bill signings of :

HB 2622-2A Sanctuary State (Representative Holland),

HB 1927-Permitless Carry (Representative Schaeffer),

HB 1500- 2A Protections during Disasters/States of Emergencies (Representative Hefner),

HB 957-Texas Suppressors (Representative Oliverson),

SB 18-2A Protections during Disasters/States of Emergencies (Senator Creighton)

SB 19- 2A Anti-Discrimination - the state can no longer do business with private businesses who discriminate against the gun industry (Senator Schwertner)

SB 20- The Hotel bill-which requires hotels to allow you to carry concealed directly to your room or coming from your room to you car (Senator Campbell).

SB 550- The LTC holster bill that allows those who wish to carry openly, to choose the holster that suits them best as opposed to current law which requires either a shoulder holster or a belt holster. (Senator Springer)

We are thoroughly delighted that our Governor is signing all of these bills tomorrow.

Thank you again to all of you who worked so hard to get these bills passed. Congratulations to you ALL!

As always, if you have questions or comments, do hit "reply" to this email and it will come straight to my inbox! I am always here for you!

Thank you all again!!!!!!
--------------

Andi Turner
Legislative Director
TSRA

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 06/16/21 11:39 PM

so he is signing the suppressor bill?

Re: I think I have an update on the Bill 1927 - 06/17/21 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong
so he is signing the suppressor bill?