Texas Fishing Forum

Sous vide

Posted By: Topwater2

Sous vide - 05/14/21 12:09 PM

[Linked Image]

We be cooking!! roflmao
Posted By: Dave-0

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 02:30 PM

Best steaks I've ever made...bar none. The last ones I made I would put up against Del Friscos any day of the week.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 02:32 PM

City Slickers, wimmens and Q’s boil meat.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dave-0
Best steaks I've ever made...bar none. The last ones I made I would put up against Del Friscos any day of the week.

In all honesty, beating a Del Friscos steak is not a huge accomplishment. I find them to be over seared, over seasoned, and yet underflavored.

I get what you are saying about the sous vide though, and I fully agree.
Posted By: Brian Spagnola

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 03:00 PM

Ive had my same sous vide circulator for 12 years now. I paid $89 for it. I can't barely stand to eat a steak any other way now.
Posted By: bshort

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 03:56 PM

Just can't wrap my head around boiled meat.....
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 04:05 PM

I have zero knowledge of this cooking method but I’m assuming it’s geared towards the griller with a minimum skill set.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 04:08 PM

I did a wagyu sirloin in mine this week. Very comparable to a prime angus ribeye except it was twice as big and half the cost. For the sear I've started using a little bit of butter in the skillet and I think it makes a difference.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by bshort
Just can't wrap my head around boiled meat.....

I tried the dam thing after my sister gave me one for Christmas a few years ago. It works, its not bad, but you just cant get that good grilled flavor you get with a wood fire. I can produce the same evenly cooked steak with the reverse sear method, and have the flavor I like. I have tried it on lower quality meats, prime meats and still prefer the regular fire.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by bloo_rainger
I have zero knowledge of this cooking method but I’m assuming it’s geared towards the griller with a minimum skill set.

There's some truth to that. It's also handy when it's raining or you want to "set it and forget it." The guys at my deer lease don't know it yet, but they're getting introduced to sous vide on opening weekend this year.

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by bloo_rainger

It was developed by a French Chef in the 70's as a way to cook fois grois without changing the appearance or loosing fat. Assuming you understand the benefit of cooking low and slow when it comes to bbq. Same rule applies here. If you like your steak medium rare for example. You can set the sous vide batch to 127 degrees. Throw a little rosemary, butter, garlic in the bag and throw it in there for an hour wheel you go drink some bush latte, mow the gras, or whatever. It will take it to the temp desired and gold it there. It continues to breakdown and become more tender without the chance of becoming overcooked at all. The meat is 100% evenly cooked. When it comet out dry it off, and sear it anyway you like. It's unreal.

Another thing, steak is for beginners, there are so many things you can do with sous vide. Some of my favorites are burgers, veggies of all kinds, and chilean sea bass. Homemade pot de cream is also fantastic.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 04:25 PM

I learned what sv was from watching Blaze on Top Chef.

...------
Posted By: nitroZ7girl

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 04:44 PM

I use mine for Egg Bites. Love it!
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 05:25 PM

Nope
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Spagnola

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Looks fantastic! How do you get salt on all that?
Posted By: Trebor Neil

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 05:44 PM

My Wife got me one quite a while ago, have been trying my best at lower cost beef, I just cant get it right, I hour at 140 just returns me a tough piece of meat, same with differant times and temps, can I really expect it to tenderize meat ? I dont buy the cheapest, just not prime.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Trebor Neil
My Wife got me one quite a while ago, have been trying my best at lower cost beef, I just cant get it right, I hour at 140 just returns me a tough piece of meat, same with differant times and temps, can I really expect it to tenderize meat ? I dont buy the cheapest, just not prime.

The answer is absolutely yes.

Several factors come into play, such as thickness and cut, but basically after about an hour the meat is fully cooked. From one hour to about 4 hours all the connective tissues start to break down and tenderize. After 4 hours, the protein fibers actually start to break down and the meat will sort of take on a mushy consistency.

In short, you can take a cheaper cut of meat and cook it anywhere between 1.5 and 3.5 hours and you'd never know it wasn't prime.

One of my favorite things about the sous vide is that it allows you to have a perfectly cooked entree as soon as the rest of your meal is ready. Doesn't matter if the baked potato is taking too long, or the wife burned the risotto and you had to start over. As soon as the rest of the meal is pulling together, you sear the meat to your satisfaction and everything is hot and ready at the same time.
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 06:25 PM

Since I got mine, I will never ruin another pork tenderloin again. Cooked to perfection every-time. Great on chuck roast as well. I might venture out and try some beef short ribs one day very soon.
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 06:29 PM

I'm going to bag boil some Costco fillets this weekend.
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 06:31 PM

I use mine to clean my caps when they get soiled.
Posted By: Hookem

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 06:34 PM

Does 407 SV their brisket, turkey or pork?
Posted By: Dave-0

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI
Nope

pollo

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 09:39 PM

People hate on sous vide but think they are Gordon Ramsay because they have a blackstone griddle HAHAHAHA
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Spagnola
People hate on sous vide but think they are Gordon Ramsay because they have a blackstone griddle HAHAHAHA

Like Ramsey’s shows, don’t own a blackstone griddle and will never boil meat.
Posted By: Tneel

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 10:57 PM

I will go head to head with any sous vide contraption. Beef short ribs going as we speak.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Sous vide - 05/14/21 11:43 PM

I think it is too much of a hassle to go through, now if you are cooking a lot of steaks and they have to be cooked to different temps i think it would be the bomb.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum