Texas Fishing Forum

Maui

Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Maui - 05/13/21 02:59 PM

Me and my wife are heading to Maui this weekend any of y’all been? You got any do’s or don’t do list while we are there?

Thanks
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 03:11 PM

First or second day you are there (when you are still waking up early to Wyoming time), pack some very warm clothes and drive up Mt. Haleakala.
Start your journey early (3am) so you'll be back in the early afternoon.
It's cold and windy on the top of that crater, be prepared.
Some of the most visually stunning views you will ever see.
Posted By: NoWeighers

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 03:13 PM

Do the road to Hana..

Do sunrise on Haleakala..

If you are into snorkeling go to Molokini.. Gotta take a boat out there though..

Lots to do depending on your likes/physical ability..

Take a lot of money and you can't go wrong..

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by NoWeighers
Do the road to Hana..

If you are into snorkeling go to Molokini.. Gotta take a boat out there though..

Thank you never been thanks for information
I have been looking at the road tour
I may take one day and go back over to see the Arizona memorial
Posted By: Ted Dyer

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 03:20 PM

Maui is fabulous. Did a couple of excursions where we went snorkeling in a dormant volcano crater and it was amazing.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 03:24 PM

WOWEE!

olds will know what that is. roflmao
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 03:29 PM

When we were Maui we went on a submarine tour it went down to 128 feet it was pretty neat to see how clear the water was . I remember eating lunch at a restaurant right on the beach and a Bud Light was 9.00$ a bottle. When we went we went on a 7 day cruise of the Islands on a cruise ship.

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ted Dyer
Maui is fabulous. Did a couple of excursions where we went snorkeling in a dormant volcano crater and it was amazing.

Yep we are looking at some snorkeling trips

Thanks

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by 921 Phoenix
Originally Posted by Ted Dyer

Yep we are looking at some snorkeling trips

Thanks

That crater is Molokini.. Awesome.. You could see the different colored coral on bottom.. Asked the boat operator how deep it was and he turned the depthfinder on and it was 128 feet deep..

They also have Snuba equipment on boat for a charge.. But hose is only 20-30 feet long..
Posted By: Teeners boat

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 04:10 PM

[quote=NoWeighers]Do the road to Hana..

Good stuff, road to Hana is awesome. Snorkeling at Molokini is breathtaking! Good advice here.
Posted By: Flags

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 04:14 PM

Drive the Road to Hana.

Lots of neat shops and historical sites for the whaling industry in Lahaina.

Dive Black Rock beach at night for the manta ray show.

Look into doing some hog or bird hunting. They have something like 10 species of pheasant on that island.

I was stationed in Pearl Harbor for a little over 3 years. Maui is a neat place to visit.
Posted By: bshort

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 04:34 PM

Just sit in Kihei and get drunk.....
Posted By: Lon Hagler

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 04:43 PM

Definitely the road to Hana.
A luau is a must, check reviews, some are certainly better than others.
I was never surprised by the price of anything, but if you have the means stop at CostCo right outside the airport and pick up anything you might want. (bottled water, beer, snacks)
Side note, don't worry about the chickens, they are everywhere.
Monchong was my favorite fish.
Posted By: Canino

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 05:11 PM

A few things about the above suggestions:

1. You can't just drive up to Haleakala for the sunrise, you have to have a reservation to enter the park that early. Reservations are difficult to get, but they do set aside a limited number of last minute spots that you can grab when they become available the day before. So you'll have to be online and ready. Park passes are $25 for the day on top of that. Also, sunrise is hit/miss as far as what you'll actually be able to see. Clouds/fog aren't unusual at all so you'll have to be lucky to actually make sunrise worthwhile.

If you're in great shape, skip sunrise and instead do the summit to Hale Mau'u hike (13 miles) when the park opens for normal traffic. It's fantastic and well worth a day. Let me know if you want info on that.

2. If you go to Hana start EARLY. You'll want to go to Waiapanapa State Park. The traffic in Waiapanapa is insane. DO NOT try to park down in the last parking lots. You'll go down a terrible road and you'll come to a place where everyone is going left to the parking lots. On the right you'll see a road with a sign that says To Cabins. Take that road and park in the lot on your immediate left. You'll save a ton of time doing this because everyone else will be spending an hour trying to find a parking spot in the other two lots.

On the way, Keanae is just OK, there isn't much there. But it might be worth stopping if you've never seen it. Nahiku is much prettier and more interesting, but you have to park and walk a ways.

3. Molokini snorkeling is OK, but everything is pretty far down. Take a different snorkeling tour if you want to be more up-close to the fish and turtles. Many of the smaller operators are more run-and-gun - they'll take you to a spot that's been good lately, but if there isn't much there then they'll take you somewhere else to see if it's better. You can also go get some cheap snorkel gear at Walmart (or there might be some in your condo) and go to Ahihi-Kinau off Makena road south of Wailea. Park and go snorkel off the beach for free and see plenty of fish.

4. A day trip to the Arizona would be difficult. There's a LOT to see there. It's more than a day trip to see everything if you're already in Honolulu. But if all you want to see is just the Arizona or maybe the Arizona and one other thing like the Missouri, you won't have a problem. NO BAGS OF ANY KIND are allowed at the Arizona, you'll have to either travel light or pay for storage. There isn't much food there to be bought either, I think I paid $12 for a hotdog and that's about all that was available.

Let me know if you have questions, I was on Maui for a month in late 2019.
Posted By: Mac Town Fuzz

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 05:12 PM

That’s awesome. Take some pictures to share with those of who want to live vicariously through your trip please.
Posted By: Techfisher

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 05:18 PM

LOL...hop you beat me to it...:) Wowee...good stuff in the day..:)
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 05:27 PM

Road to Hana....Awesome, but the bride and I were nearly divorced only a day after getting married after that trip.

We made the complete circle of Haleakala around the eastern and southern slopes after leaving Hana. I remember stopping to take a whiz when we got around to the SW slope overlooking Makena Beach and it was already dark (probably 9:30-10 o clock). I walked back to the back of the jeep to do my thing and when I looked up, the number of stars in the sky was something I was not prepared for!!! I could not believe what my eyes were seeing. Let's just say the number of stars you see on a clear Texas night is only about a quarter of what is actually in the sky.

We did a lot of stuff, the typical tourist trap stuff, but the whiz experience on the side of Haleakala is what has stuck in my mind for nearly 20 years!! If you get a clear night, take the bride up the mountain and soak it in. There is only one road up there and it's a little dicey, but it can be travelled. You wont forget it and you can thank me later.
Posted By: Patriot Guard Rider

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 05:30 PM

Lots of different beaches on the road to Hana. Red Beach, Black Beach and another one (I can't remember the name) where the locals catch lots of Ahi tuna. The tails are hanging everywhere. Great waterfalls. Beautiful island.

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 05:52 PM

And rent a convertible.. Anything with GT on it is good..
Posted By: PaulGrapevine

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 05:58 PM

The dude with a backpack with a giant smile on his face when the road to Hana starts is selling weed. That’s all I got.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 06:03 PM

Hook up with Willie and Don, ironically they are neighbors with the same last name of Nelson
Posted By: Westside.

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 06:08 PM

Lahaina and Kaanapali

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 06:36 PM

WOW thanks guys for all the great information

We are looking forward to it first time for me and my wife
Posted By: kcb

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 06:41 PM

If you do get to Lahaina don't miss the Banyan Tree. Any local will know what you are asking about if you can't find it. I think it's right in the middle of town.
Posted By: PaulGrapevine

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 06:44 PM

Mama’s fish house. It’s expensive but worth it. You need a reservation.
Posted By: Westside.

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by kcb
If you do get to Lahaina don't miss the Banyan Tree. Any local will know what you are asking about if you can't find it. I think it's right in the middle of town.

thumb. And cheeseburger in paradise
Posted By: bshort

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by PaulGrapevine

I thought it was disappointing.

Try the Monkey Pod in Wailea

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by bshort

Not a bad suggestion, but it's dangerous to take the wife to Wailea. Confiscate her credit cards before you go there.

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Canino

Not a bad suggestion, but it's dangerous to take the wife to Wailea. Confiscate her credit cards before you go there.

Be hard to do she has her own she owns a real estate company

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by 921 Phoenix
Originally Posted by Canino

Be hard to do she has her own she owns a real estate company

Ah, well in that case you should know that all the stores will ship your purchases home for you.
Posted By: PondFish

Re: Maui - 05/13/21 08:45 PM

Back when I was in the Hotel business our company owned the Hana Resort. Beautiful property.
The clientele were Newlyweds and Nearly deads.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum