Texas Fishing Forum

Jerry does it again...

Posted By: CrazyCrappieGuy

Jerry does it again... - 05/11/21 05:32 PM

[Linked Image]

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2021/05/07/worlds-most-valuable-sports-teams-2021

Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/11/21 05:36 PM

just think what it'd be worth if he signed Tebow ........uglyshtick
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/11/21 05:41 PM

Say what you want. Jerry Jones is a very smart business man! Just my two cents. 2cents
Posted By: Patriot7Six

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/11/21 05:45 PM

Say what you will about Jerry but he's a shrewd businessman. I think he'd be a hoot to hang out with, maybe drink some Johnnie Walker blue and talk about the good ole' days. roflmao
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/11/21 06:21 PM

Super smart business man...which is exactly why he can't win football games....
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/11/21 06:26 PM

He should concentrate on business and let GM run the Cowboys.
Posted By: Hookem

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/11/21 06:28 PM

If only they were a publicly traded enterprise...
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/11/21 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by UGLYSHCTICK
just think what it'd be worth if he signed Tebow ........uglyshtick

roflmao
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/11/21 06:41 PM

Just think what the team would be worth if they could field a winner.
Posted By: TR176

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/11/21 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
Just think what the team would be worth if they could field a winner.

Winning is more than just winning football games,
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/11/21 06:52 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/11/21 07:21 PM

It just astounds me that he has been so successful and continues to bring in more value every year....when they can’t win their way out of a wet paper sack. Absolutely astounding. It really doesn’t make any sense at all.

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/11/21 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by patriot07
Super smart business man...which is exactly why he can't win football games....

Him being super smart business man is not the reason they are not winning, his ego to be a GM is the reason. And I really think the issue with him as a GM is his leadership style., His style undermines the coaches leadership, that is #1, #2 many coaches won't work with this style, so coach talent pool is limited. Which goes to show, making money is important to him, but not to the extent of getting a new GM. So his ego clouds his business decisions. He has made adjustments to his GM leadership style to improve, but it is not nearly enough.

So great business man business leader, terrible football GM leader. That is why he is #1 Forbes List, but can't lead a wining football team.
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/11/21 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke
It just astounds me that he has been so successful and continues to bring in more value every year....when they can’t win their way out of a wet paper sack. Absolutely astounding. It really doesn’t make any sense at all.

It’s all been a process. It will all make sense and you’ll change your tune when they win the Super Bowl this year.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/11/21 07:43 PM

The GM chair has three seats, Jerry, Stephen, and Will McClay, the head coach having some say as well. I am a firm believer that if you have a superstar QB you have a good chance to win a SB, without one you are just another team. I think Romo could have been one if he could have stayed healthy. They say that Jerry's biggest problem as a GM is he falls in love with his players, seems like most all of them love to play for him.

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/11/21 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Happykamper
They say that Jerry's biggest problem as a GM is he falls in love with his players, seems like most all of them love to play for him.

He falls in love with the players, they fall in love with him. This is just one example how he undermines the coach's leadership and gets in coach's way.
Posted By: Tsunami_1

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/11/21 08:38 PM

This is only because he kept Dak. Without him this team is worthless.

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/11/21 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCrappieGuy
They say that Jerry's biggest problem as a GM is he falls in love with his players, seems like most all of them love to play for him.

He falls in love with the players, they fall in love with him. This is just one example how he undermines the coach's leadership and gets in coach's way.

How does he get in the coaches way ? Is he calling the plays, naming the starting roster ? Just curious. I still say it is the QB, he had Troy, he had a chance with Romo, now he has Dak, yet to be determined.

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/11/21 09:02 PM

How does he get in the coaches way ?

Because the players look at Jerry as the leader and the one to suck up to, it should be the coach. This team has a leadership issue, and it starts with Jerry, terrible leader. Parcells had the leadership swagger to over compensate for Jerry's terrible leadership, McCarthy does not, I see them going no where with McCarthy. Dak, great leader, helps to over compensate for Jerry's terrible leadership, he is the only reason they win games.

Romo had much better QB skills than Dak, Dak much better leadership skills. To me it is a wash in regard to impact to wins..

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/11/21 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sawhorse

It’s all been a process. It will all make sense and you’ll change your tune when they win the Super Bowl this year.

That would prove me wrong, I would change my tune, and I would love for that to happen. I been waiting for years now tho......
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 12:08 AM

Agree with CCG from Lake X 100%.

Jerry has an open door to his office for his players. If the players have an issue, instead of going to the coaches first, they go straight to Jerry.

There is no organized chain of command.

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by CCTX
Agree with CCG from Lake X 100%.

Jerry has an open door to his office for his players. If the players have an issue, instead of going to the coaches first, they go straight to Jerry.

There is no organized chain of command.

Open door policy for players, another good example of bad GM leadership practice. Great for corporate environment, not for GM Football.

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 12:45 AM

You guys have a lot of inside information, who are your sources lol. I hear this stuff on the radio, most of those guys are talking to just hear themselves on the radio. I believe Jerry was the captain of the Arkansas national champion team, I believe most captains are leaders, just saying.
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 12:51 AM

You guys have a lot of inside information, who are your sources lol. I hear this stuff on the radio, most of those guys are talking to just hear themselves on the radio. I believe Jerry was the captain of the Arkansas national champion team, I believe most captains are leaders, just saying.

Happykamper loves Jerry and the Cowboys like my 4 year old grandson loves tractors.

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 01:06 AM

He turned their training/practice facility into a giant fishbowl ATM.
Great for ROI, terrible for team focus.

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 01:33 AM

You guys have a lot of inside information, who are your sources lol.

What inside info specifically? We got to know that before we can find it.

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Patriot7Six
Say what you will about Jerry but he's a shrewd businessman.

I do not see him as "shrewd", I see him more of a "smoosher", just my outside observation, no inside info...
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 02:15 AM

It’s well known throughout the league that Jones is the poster boy for running the Cowboys like a business with winning games coming in a distant 2nd

Do you want to book a monster truck jam, Final Four, WrestleMania, BCS Championship game, Canelo Alvarez vs Billy Joe Saunders, then Jerry is your bag man

All he cares about is the balance sheet. It’s all good as as long as the organization is making money. He gives the illusion that he’ll do anything to win and nothing could be further from the truth. The profitability of the team trumps all else. His legacy is the money machine that he’s built the Jones empire into and that he’ll leave to his family.
Posted By: Westside.

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Scagnetti
It’s well known throughout the league that Jones is the poster boy for running the Cowboys like a business with winning games coming in a distant 2nd

Do you want to book a monster truck jam, Final Four, WrestleMania, BCS Championship game, Canelo Alvarez vs Billy Joe Saunders, then Jerry is your bag man

All he cares about is the balance sheet. It’s all good as as long as the organization is making money. He gives the illusion that he’ll do anything to win and nothing could be further from the truth. The profitability of the team trumps all else. His legacy is the money machine that he’s built the Jones empire into and that he’ll leave to his family.

Old money generational wealth

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Scagnetti

All he cares about is the balance sheet.

Not true, if that was the case he would bring in a top GM. If you cannot see that you are blind or kidding yourself.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 10:39 AM

The title should be "Jerry does it again, in spite of himself". Just think what their value would be if they'd have hired a real GM and won a few championships since the 90's... Mind bloggling... Dan

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 11:18 AM

Yep, ego got in his way of achieving greatness.
Instead, he got 25 years of 8-8.

With as talented a QB as Romo and not even having to spend a draft pick on him (thank you Sean Payton and Parcels); you have to work really hard against yourself for only two playoff wins.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 11:26 AM

Y'all just keep on buying them season tickets and drinking those $11 beers.

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 12:01 PM

Happykamper loves Jerry and the Cowboys like my 4 year old grandson loves tractors.

Guilty
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 01:07 PM

The funniest thing about this whole thread is that Jethro doesn't care about winning and then in the next breath talking about his ego. Winning feeds the ego more than anything.

I'm not saying that Jerry hasn't gotten in the way of being a successful NFL team because he has, especially in the decade after their last SB win. He has! I'm not apologist for him and complain as much as most Cowboy fans do about the way he has run the team. But statements like he undermines coaching making him different from the rest of the league is ludicrous. All NFL GM's "undermine" coaching to a certain extent. Y'all should read other NFL team's boards complaining of this same thing. Philly fans gripe incessantly about Howie Roseman (why y'all think
Doug Pederson left?), Same about Giant fans and and Dave Gettleman).

If Jethro is such a meddler why did the Cowboys follow coaching recommendations (along with Will McClay) and take defense with their first 6 picks and 8 out of their 11 picks. Coaching (Dan Quinn) was directly responsible for that drafting tactic. Lotta claims made in this thread with little evidence.

It's hard to put together a management team in the NFL and few teams get it right consistently and fewer can consistently win. Kamper is right as it starts with the QB and I'll add an excellent HC and staff.

Everyone honking Romo's horn seem to forget his propensity for turnovers. Not as bad as Eli Manning's but still higher than Dak's while their QBR's are almost identical.

Romo stats

Dak Stats

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 01:30 PM

Yes, Jerry has shown baby step improvements (removing himself as the primary decision maker on draft day).

Agree, Romo wasn't great, but he was as good as Donovan McNaab (9 playoff wins)
Posted By: Davedave

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by RayBob
The funniest thing about this whole thread is that Jethro doesn't care about winning and then in the next breath talking about his ego. Winning feeds the ego more than anything.

I'm not saying that Jerry hasn't gotten in the way of being a successful NFL team because he has, especially in the decade after their last SB win. He has! I'm not apologist for him and complain as much as most Cowboy fans do about the way he has run the team. But statements like he undermines coaching making him different from the rest of the league is ludicrous. All NFL GM's "undermine" coaching to a certain extent. Y'all should read other NFL team's boards complaining of this same thing. Philly fans gripe incessantly about Howie Roseman (why y'all think

If Jethro is such a meddler why did the Cowboys follow coaching recommendations (along with Will McClay) and take defense with their first 6 picks and 8 out of their 11 picks. Coaching (Dan Quinn) was directly responsible for that drafting tactic. Lotta claims made in this thread with little evidence.

It's hard to put together a management team in the NFL and few teams get it right consistently and fewer can consistently win. Kamper is right as it starts with the QB and I'll add an excellent HC and staff.

Everyone honking Romo's horn seem to forget his propensity for turnovers. Not as bad as Eli Manning's but still higher than Dak's while their QBR's are almost identical.

Romo stats

Dak Stats

One point. The primary reason Peterson left Philadelphia is because he was fired. That’s a pretty typical response. Some try to stay after being fired. But, that usually doesn’t work out well for anyone.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 03:06 PM

They don't have to win to increase in value.
The value is in perception and marketing.
Whether they win or lose, the fan base will be right back next Spring, talking Superbowl.

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Davedave
Originally Posted by RayBob

Romo stats

Dak Stats

One point. The primary reason Peterson left Philadelphia is because he was fired. That’s a pretty typical response. Some try to stay after being fired. But, that usually doesn’t work out well for anyone.

Obviously you state the obvious. Yea! The 8 year old down the road said the same thing.

Why was he fired?

Simply that he and Howie didn't see eye to eye on personnel decisions. But great insight.

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

They don't have to win to increase in value.
The value is in perception and marketing.
Whether they win or lose, the fan base will be right back next Spring, talking Superbowl.

I follow the team, love the team, have been a fan since 1966. I ain't dropping them. I did contribute $70 bucks to Jethro's wealth when the wife and I did the Death Star tour back in the summer of 2017 (my 1st trip to the MetroMess since 1979). The tour was OK, I got some pics. Not as much of a tourist trap as the FW Stockyards. I've never bought a game ticket but I do have an NFL sanctioned Cowboy cap (not a flat bill). My total Cowboy contribution over time is <$100.

My perception is just that . . . I'll be back if I'm still breathing. I NEVER talk SB though and I know hardly NO Cowboy fans that do. I'm OK with any fan that does but most just want to see them play well. But if they do talk SB that's fine for fans to do because as we know fan is only fanatic abbreviated. Lumping a diverse population into one pile like that is a huge misperception.

Go Cowboys!

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 06:37 PM

Now, that does make sense. I get it, now. Soooooopa!

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by David Welcher
Y'all just keep on buying them season tickets and drinking those $11 beers.

I know I’ve never had a colder, better tasting Miller Lite in all of my life.

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 06:56 PM

How does he get in the coaches way ?

Because the players look at Jerry as the leader and the one to suck up to, it should be the coach. This team has a leadership issue, and it starts with Jerry, terrible leader. Parcells had the leadership swagger to over compensate for Jerry's terrible leadership, McCarthy does not, I see them going no where with McCarthy. Dak, great leader, helps to over compensate for Jerry's terrible leadership, he is the only reason they win games.

Romo had much better QB skills than Dak, Dak much better leadership skills. To me it is a wash in regard to impact to wins..

I do not agree with Jerry not being a leader, he damn sure ain't a follower, you do not get to where he is without being a leader.

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 08:12 PM

I do not agree with Jerry not being a leader, he damn sure ain't a follower, you do not get to where he is without being a leader.

Oh he is great business leader, terrible football GM leader. Great NFL Owner leader, it is the reason he is in the HOF. Terrible football GM leader.

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 08:50 PM

The stuff I'm saying about Jerry is the same thing many have been saying for a long time, I'm just now starting to agree with them. He has gotten better, like I think they are drafting great now. He is not walking on sideline any more talking to players, he is not telling the coach who should call plays like he did with Garrett, all examples of improvements. He's leadership stye is not what good coaches want, it is why Jimmy left, its why they have never got a good coach, Parcells was the exception, I think Parcells it was part of the challenge for him, he wanted to show he could get a long with Jerry and make it work, he even said it. He also said Jerry drove him crazy some times.

I look at Mccarthy, and just SMH, I see another yes man. I hope I'm wrong, I'm a huge cowboy fan, use to sell penuts at Texas Stadium as a kid in the 70's, just to go to the games.

Re: Jerry does it again... - 05/12/21 08:58 PM

The stuff I'm saying about Jerry is the same thing many have been saying for a long time, I'm just now starting to agree with them. He has gotten better, like I think they are drafting great now. He is not walking on sideline any more talking to players, he is not telling the coach who should call plays like he did with Garrett, all examples of improvements. He's leadership stye is not what good coaches want, it is why Jimmy left, its why they have never got a good coach, Parcells was the exception, I think Parcells it was part of the challenge for him, he wanted to show he could get a long with Jerry and make it work, he even said it. He also said Jerry drove him crazy some times.

I look at Mccarthy, and just SMH, I see another yes man. I hope I'm wrong, I'm a huge cowboy fan, use to sell penuts at Texas Stadium as a kid in the 70's, just to go to the games.

The way I see it is if the GM wants all the say in how the team is run then he should just go buy him an NFL team, lol.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum