Texas Fishing Forum

Air Rifles

Posted By: Indianation65

Air Rifles - 05/10/21 08:18 PM

Quick and to the point:

An old neighbor down from my parents' house has 5 ponds on his property.

They are stocked with bass and crappie.

He said I could fish them, but, he also wants a favor.

He has too many turtles in the ponds and wants them gone.

I offered to use my .22, but he doesn't want the noise since there are other neighbors in the area, which is Nevada, just east of Lake Lavon.

What is a good air rifle, but inexpensive, that would be good for using on turtles, or rats?

I will probably feel guilty after killing the first two turtles, but I'll get used to it.

Addendum: I won't have a problem killing any rodent/vermin.
Addendum II: What about air rifles vs air pistols?

...------

Re: Air Rifles - 05/10/21 08:19 PM

Addendum III: I know "quick and to the point" would most likely look like this, but you know IN65!

"What would be a good, inexpensive air rifle or pistol to use on turtles or rats?"

...!!!
Posted By: The Searchers

Re: Air Rifles - 05/10/21 08:25 PM

Look up 22 CB shorts.
I promise you no neighbors will hear
You can shoot them out of a rifle
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Air Rifles - 05/10/21 08:28 PM

Most air rifles with enough power to kill rats/turtles are gonna be gas powered which gets pricey, I mean a good pump model will do it but you’re going to be pumping more than fishing
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Air Rifles - 05/10/21 08:30 PM

I have a benjamin break barrel .22 air rifle. It'll kill a squirrel fast and is pretty accurate. And at 950fps, it's still whisper quiet.
Posted By: FishDFly

Re: Air Rifles - 05/10/21 08:33 PM

Unless you can hit them in the head, you are not going to do much damage to a turtle shell with a pellet gun.

Re: Air Rifles - 05/10/21 08:37 PM

I know about aiming for the heads.

Old John described his technique from when he was younger.

You approach quietly, they still jump in the water, and once the head surfaces, fire away!

...------

Re: Air Rifles - 05/10/21 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by FishDFly
Unless you can hit them in the head, you are not going to do much damage to a turtle shell with a pellet gun.

Man, I'd like to take that bet.
Posted By: flee fly

Re: Air Rifles - 05/10/21 09:39 PM

My air rifle is pretty loud, what I do when I need to kill small game like squirrels is just turn on a air compressor to muffle out the sound
Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Re: Air Rifles - 05/10/21 09:57 PM

I have a 22 cal Diana Model 52 side cocking breach load . 18.5 grain . 875 fps . 75 yard shots blows holes is turtle shells effortless . head shots are deadly . Shots in the shell kill them but takes awhile and isn't very humane . $200.00 and she's yours . Bought from Air Guns of Arizona . Less than 200 shots through it .
Posted By: CaptainCrunch

Re: Air Rifles - 05/10/21 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Samsonsworld
I have a benjamin break barrel .22 air rifle. It'll kill a squirrel fast and is pretty accurate. And at 950fps, it's still whisper quiet.

I have the same rifle. I don't think a turtle shell would be any problem. Outfit it with a decent scope and you should be able to make head shots without too much trouble.
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: Air Rifles - 05/10/21 10:51 PM

I have one of these. I wouldn’t all it whisper quiet, but its fairly quiet. The squirrels love mine~

Re: Air Rifles - 05/10/21 10:54 PM

Not any louder than my Crosman pump.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Air Rifles - 05/10/21 10:54 PM

Your air pistol isn't going to do you much good. Remember you are going to be aiming at a target about the size of a quarter from 30 yards away.

I've never shot an air gun at a turtle, but agree with the comments above that a .22 short is going to be just as quiet as most air rifles.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Air Rifles - 05/10/21 11:01 PM

another for the 22 short, if ya can find any.

.22 cal. pellet rifle will do the job well too. gamo makes one or 2 that have built in suppressors (however that works on an air rifle).
we have one here but I have never shot it.

[Linked Image]

https://www.midwayusa.com/air-rifles/br?cid=23173

Re: Air Rifles - 05/10/21 11:03 PM

Thanks for the current replies.

I'll look at air rifles, but I'll also just try to convince Old John that a .22 in the country won't attract much attention.

It's a U-shaped driveway with a few houses within 100 yards of the ponds.

...-------
Posted By: drift4fish

Re: Air Rifles - 05/10/21 11:25 PM

My Ruger precision with a can and subsonic is a lot quieter than my Gammo pellet gun...and more effective
Posted By: 30ft jon boat

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by The Searchers
Look up 22 CB shorts.

i have a winchster wild cat 16" barrel and they are loud my western auto 20" barrel they are quiet.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 12:17 AM

I bough whatever Hop told me to buy. Shoots great.!!!!!!!
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 12:31 AM

Make three of these with chicken wire for the netting.

Posted By: Gourdbuster

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 12:36 AM

.22 Super Colibri

Pretty much silent, a pellet on a .22 shell with little or no powder. Won't cycle in a semi auto though unless it's rated for .22 long, short, LR. Works great in bolts and levers though.

I was able to load them in a 10/22 by leaving out the mag and chambering them from the magwell with my thumb.
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 12:43 AM

Same here, Benjamin with a 3X9 scope. Quite accurate too
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 02:41 AM

Trapping is more effective than shooting.

Catching turtles is pretty easy,
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 02:57 AM

Game Viper in 177 caliber comes with a quality 4X scope that is very accurate and powerful for what it is.
Posted By: Sailor1180

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by The Searchers
Look up 22 CB shorts.

This, and a good bolt action............... cheers

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Spiderman
Game Viper in 177 caliber comes with a quality 4X scope that is very accurate and powerful for what it is.

One of the things I noticed when looking is the .177 seems to have more velocity in a given model but once you reach about 1100fps, you get the sonic boom and it sounds like a .22LR. Because the .22 pellet is heavier, it'll do the same damage with less speed...and less noise.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 12:15 PM

Air pistols are significantly less powerful than the rifles. Also accuracy gets much more difficult the shorter you make the barrel. I've tried shooting water snakes with a BB pistol from a kayak. Shooting from a moving position at a snake that's moving on water that's also moving with the BB gun is quite a bit more challenging than you might think.

If the real goal is to reduce the number of turtles then trapping is definitely the best option. Turtles don't seem particularly bright to me I don't think it would be very hard to do.

I suppose you could use an air rifle to supplement the trapping if you just happen to stumble across a couple. In that case there's been several good suggestions made. I would just say I would favor the 22 (air rifle round) over the .177 for a reasons mentioned above.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 12:19 PM

4th or 5th vote for a subsonic .22 round. They are no louder than an air rifle.
Posted By: NoconaBrian

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 01:27 PM

When I was a kid, we caught and shot more turtles than I could count. Just google turtle trap and there's all kinds of designs. Ours had a ramp they'd climb up, then the board across the top would twist and they'd fall in, you don't even have to bait it.

A pellet gun will 100% shoot through a shell, but a head shot is 100% effective. I've got the same gun Hop posted a pic of, I think it sacrifices speed over accuracy, but it'd sure work if you're close enough.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 02:13 PM

Another vote for the Benjamin air rifle.
Had one as a kid. Could put up to 10 pumps in it and it dropped everything I shot. We had a pond and it's amazing how turtles will just show up and continue to show up.

Aim for the head for sport.
Aim for the body for an easy kill.
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 02:50 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 03:14 PM

I'll have to check out those sub shorts, .22 colibris, and whatever else has been mentioned, then try to convince Old John that they will be as silent as an air rifle.

Question: Will these shorties work in a pistol?

Addendum: I have always liked firearms, but didn't get into them until a couple years ago, and I'm still learning...a lot!
I have so many questions.

...------

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 03:22 PM

20 grain at 420 fps from the colibris = 8 ft/lb energy
A 14.3 grain pellet at 720 fps from an air rifle = 16 ft/lb energy

https://www.aguilaammo.com/ammunition/1b220337/

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Indianation65
I'll have to check out those sub shorts, .22 colibris, and whatever else has been mentioned, then try to convince Old John that they will be as silent as an air rifle.

Question: Will these shorties work in a pistol?

Addendum: I have always liked firearms, but didn't get into them until a couple years ago, and I'm still learning...a lot!
I have so many questions.

...------

They will not cycle in a semi auto if I am following you. There are ways to make it work... However I try not to shoot ammo in a gun that it was not intended for and if I tell you how to do it and you blow your finger off I would feel really bad.

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 03:26 PM

Again if the goal is really to reduce the turtles trapping is going to get you 10 times more than you could ever shoot with an air gun or sub sonic 22 or 22 Short round.

And its always catching, you can only shoot when you are there. Then you can take them and shoot them execution style if shooting them is what you want to do.

I might just move them to a swamp out of the way someplace... but its your call.

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 03:26 PM

A .22 short is 29 grain at 1000 fps. Might be a better option with a revolver or single shot rifle.

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Again if the goal is really to reduce the turtles trapping is going to get you 10 times more than you could ever shoot with an air gun or sub sonic 22 or 22 Short round.

And its always catching, you can only shoot when you are there. Then you can take them and shoot them execution style if shooting them is what you want to do.

I might just move them to a swamp out of the way someplace... but its your call.

But where is the sport in traps? And what do you do with them after you catch them? I guess they'd make decent skeet.

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 03:59 PM

But where is the sport in traps? And what do you do with them after you catch them? I guess they'd make decent skeet.

Have races with them. Looser gets the 22 to the dome. Bracket style. The ultimate winner will be relocated to White Rock Lake.
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by drift4fish
My Ruger precision with a can and subsonic is a lot quieter than my Gammo pellet gun...and more effective

This^
Posted By: Floon Swenson

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 06:55 PM

.50 cal Air Force Texan. grin

I don't think you'd be able to find evidence that the turtle even existed once it was hit. Of course it sounds like a small howitzer when you shoot it, so maybe not the most reasonable choice for the neighborhood.

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 07:06 PM

Supper?
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 07:36 PM

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by FishDFly

Supper?

Hmmmmm

http://cannundrum.blogspot.com/2016/02/turtle-red-eared-slider-soup.html

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 08:12 PM

If this was in La. there would be no discussion on what to do with them.

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 08:13 PM

Thus, I'm perplexed regarding my ultimate goal...to fish with hopes of catching lots of bass, crappie and catfish.

In order to fish, Old John does NOT require me to rid his pond of turtles, but he has asked me to remove them by killing them.

Perplexing...I would feel guilt for shooting and killing the first 2 turtles, but then I'd become numb to it, and I'm forge onward.

If I choose to "trap them," I know afterwards if I stood above a cage/basket, or simply had them in a pile in front of me on the ground, and I simply "shot them point blank," I KNOW the guilt would kill me!

If I trap them, I know I'd give myself an extra chore of "driving" them to a stream or creek and letting them go.

I know, I know, it's silly.

1. air rifle or .22, shoot them one by one whenever I get the chance
2. catch/trap them, then shoot them right in front of me and dump the bodies in the trash
3. catch/trap them, then drive them to a creek to set them free
4. don't do anything and hope Old John will forget about it and just let me fish

...------

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Indianation65
Thus, I'm perplexed regarding my ultimate goal...to fish with hopes of catching lots of bass, crappie and catfish.

In order to fish, Old John does NOT require me to rid his pond of turtles, but he has asked me to remove them by killing them.

Perplexing...I would feel guilt for shooting and killing the first 2 turtles, but then I'd become numb to it, and I'm forge onward.

If I choose to "trap them," I know afterwards if I stood above a cage/basket, or simply had them in a pile in front of me on the ground, and I simply "shot them point blank," I KNOW the guilt would kill me!

If I trap them, I know I'd give myself an extra chore of "driving" them to a stream or creek and letting them go.

I know, I know, it's silly.

1. air rifle or .22, shoot them one by one whenever I get the chance
2. catch/trap them, then shoot them right in front of me and dump the bodies in the trash
3. catch/trap them, then drive them to a creek to set them free
4. don't do anything and hope Old John will forget about it and just let me fish

...------

Well this is a fairly philosophical question that you're facing here Joe.

All of these options say varying things about your character, your humanity, your compassion, and your drive to fish private ponds.

A question truly fitted for Socrates or Hume, even Descartes. Good luck.

Re: Air Rifles - 05/11/21 09:05 PM

I wonder if simply shooting as many as I can would help me with my "anger problem" I bragged about having?

I know a couple members want to get me fired from my educator position because I should not be around or influencing the "innocent."

Ha, that's funny, the "innocent."

...!!!
© 2021 Texas Fishing Forum