Texas Fishing Forum

Purple Hull Peas

Posted By: tx_basser

Purple Hull Peas - 05/10/21 05:22 PM

I grew up on these and we ate them frequently at home as my grandparents grew them in the garden, and they also bought them from other people who had farms. I just don't see them anymore and the ones I saw at the Farmers Markets were crazy expensive. I grew up with a friend who had 70 acres of peas and he saiid the deer would just destroy them and he had all kinds of permits to shoot them.

Does anybody else see them anymore?
Posted By: COFF

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/10/21 05:27 PM

Used to be sort of a family tradition for us. My grandparents knew several farmers around Lamesa that would invite us to come pick whatever we wanted. We'd go out with all the kids and fill up about a dozen paper grocery sacks. Then Granny would put out sheets to cover the living room floor and the couches and chairs. We would shell the peas while watching football after Thanksgiving Dinner.

It is a fond memory of family time, but honestly I've never been a fan of eating them.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/10/21 05:28 PM

Haven't seen any of these in the field since I saw some about 15 years ago near Fort Smith.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/10/21 05:29 PM

I like them, but it has been a while since I have seen fresh ones.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/10/21 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by COFF
Used to be sort of a family tradition for us. My grandparents knew several farmers around Lamesa that would invite us to come pick whatever we wanted. We'd go out with all the kids and fill up about a dozen paper grocery sacks. Then Granny would put out sheets to cover the living room floor and the couches and chairs. We would shell the peas while watching football after Thanksgiving Dinner.

It is a fond memory of family time, but honestly I've never been a fan of eating them.

The good old days...
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/10/21 05:31 PM

shelled many a bushel when I was a kid. my grandparents grew them by the acre, and sold them on the side of the road.
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/10/21 05:33 PM

i grow'm every year and have'm n my freezer rite now...that's the good thang about havin' a garden...fresh produce...BTW, now's the time 2 plant
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/10/21 06:02 PM

I can’t say I’ve ever tried them, but I would
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/10/21 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by TexDawg

with red onion and cornbread....aint much better.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/10/21 06:09 PM

Never heard of them... Dan
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/10/21 06:14 PM

These will do in a pinch when you don’t have fresh.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Siberman

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/10/21 06:42 PM

Spent many a summer in my childhood with purple thumbs . thumb
Posted By: IC DOAN

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/10/21 08:55 PM

TDawg, They are a lot like black eyed peas but less gritty...
Now if you have pink eyed purple hulls and you are between me and them best move aside (kinda like being between Jerrah and a TV camera)...

Field peas, crowder peas, butter beans, rattlesnake green beans... I love all that stuff
Posted By: flee fly

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/10/21 09:36 PM

Great stuff, yummy good good
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/10/21 09:51 PM

I've grown them (I have a few up in my garden now), picked them, shelled them and ate them.

I grew and picked about a bushel last year. I have an old electric sheller and shelled with that. Easy way to put them up without blanching them or canning is once shelled put them in a pillow case and freeze them(don't wash them). They'll keep for several years like that and just go scoop out what you want to cook.

They are very similar to black eyed peas. When I was in HS and lived with my grandparents my grandfather would usually plant 10-20 400' rows. Of course when I said he'd plant I meant we'd plant. Picking time you got up and was picking with good light. Could have as many as 25 bushels and he'd go sell them. Worst thing is you'd be picking like a wild man trying to get done and inadvertently stick your hand in a bull-nettle. Set you on fire for 20-30 minutes or until you peed on it.

We built a deer-proof fence around our garden (5-6 acres) and this was in the 1970's before the long t-posts were around.
Posted By: Droyhef

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/10/21 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by HasBen
These will do in a pinch when you don’t have fresh.

[Linked Image]

No, no they wont. A real southerner can not eat those in polite company.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/10/21 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by IC DOAN

TDawg, They are a lot like black eyed peas but less gritty...
Now if you have pink eyed purple hulls and you are between me and them best move aside (kinda like being between Jerrah and a TV camera)...

Field peas, crowder peas, butter beans, rattlesnake green beans... I love all that stuff

Then I would definitely eat them, cooked with onion, bacon and jalapeños
Posted By: wt luke

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/11/21 01:06 AM

No thanks. I'll take sauerkraut over peas any day. Sweet peas ain't to bad though.
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/11/21 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by IC DOAN

That is what we had growing up...
Posted By: Davedave

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/11/21 01:41 AM

I had them a lot growing up. They’re ok. But, come on. They’re peas. It’s not like they’re bacon or something.
Posted By: plumbcrazy

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/11/21 01:47 AM

Grew up on purple Hull peas and cornbread and a slice of onion
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/11/21 01:50 AM

PH peas and fried corn fritters..... thumb
Posted By: Wool E. Booger

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/11/21 02:06 AM

Grow them every year. Purple hull and zipper creams. I prefer the zippers but like them both.
Posted By: Teeners boat

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/11/21 10:25 AM

YUMMO! Love purple hull peas, black eyed peas & cream peas, not to be mistaken for creamed peas.
Posted By: Space

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/11/21 10:56 AM

Grandma had acres of purple hull, picked shelled and ate them by the pound.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/11/21 11:10 AM

I love them raw... can't stand any peas cooked.
Posted By: Zipster

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/11/21 01:28 PM

I need a recipe for Crowder peas. We got some from a friend and have never cooked them. They are fresh (frozen) not dried.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/11/21 01:36 PM

Like them.
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Purple Hull Peas - 05/11/21 02:05 PM

I'm more of a bean person. I just don't think those would taste right in chili.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum