Texas Fishing Forum

Food in San Antonio

Posted By: Bissett

Food in San Antonio - 05/03/21 08:01 PM

I'll be down there from Okieland with the family next week. Y'all gave some pretty good recommendations on things to do a while back so now just looking for some good places to eat. What can we not miss out on?
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/03/21 08:04 PM

Chris Madrids

https://www.chrismadrids.com/
Posted By: Teeners boat

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/03/21 08:13 PM

Mi Tierra's and not the one on the River Walk. Dicks Last Resort. Red Barn Steakhouse.
Posted By: mavsfan

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/03/21 08:17 PM

Mi Tierra's is pretty good. Look for the one in the Market Square just a few blocks west of the Riverwalk. I believe it is a 24 hour establishment. I also enjoy Alamo Brewery for beer.

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/03/21 08:21 PM

Henry's puffy tacos if you want something unique to the city.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/03/21 08:22 PM

Bohannan's for Steak, Dough Pizzeria is good, Mi Tierra gets a lot of brags, but is average IMO.

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/03/21 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by TCK73
Bohannan's for Steak, Dough Pizzeria is good, Mi Tierra gets a lot of brags, but is average IMO.

someone had to say it. thumb
Posted By: Hookem

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/03/21 08:25 PM

Boudro's.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/03/21 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hookem
Boudro's.

Good place thumb
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/03/21 08:34 PM

What part of town?
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/03/21 08:49 PM

MAARS for pizza or anything on the menu!!!
Guajillo's The Shortcut to Mexico for Mexican. The food is seasoned using only peppers. A little kick but the BEST!

Bar 1919 for drinks! They have a small menu but they have whiskey's and bourbon's from around the world. More tequila's than you can imagine. They have 3 shelves approximately 30/35 feet long, 3 bottles deep of whiskey's and bourbon's. Look them up online.

There are other restaurants in this same area. I would suggest Lift or Uber.
Posted By: NoWeighers

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/03/21 08:54 PM

Worked in SA for thirty five years.. Ten years in commercial construction, Sixteen years running a home services/repair business, ten years selling real estate, and I don't think there is a street (that was there ten years ago) that I ain't been down.

There are hundreds of Mom and Pop Mexican restaurants that put most of the name brand stores to shame.. Go to Bandera rd. and head inside loop 410.. Keep driving.. Pick one.. They're all different and all good.. Same on Blanco Rd.. Try Blanco cafe..

Chris Madrid's for a burger is bad [censored].. Do not skip the cheese..

If you are trapped downtown then Mi Tierra does have some good stuff.. If you're hungry get the George's special.. Their Sizzling fajitas are very good also.. Noisy place with live Mariachi music everywhere..

Also try Pico de Gallo also downtown.. Kinda.. off the river also..

Breakfast go to Magnolia Pancake house.. Several locations..

If by chance you are on the east side of town, Converse.. Go to Papa Dante's.. Get the King Kong.. You can thank me later..

It is impossible to mention all the good restaurants in town..

Some places suck.. But not the ones I mentioned..

P.S. If you think Taco Bell is Mexican food please disregard the above..
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/03/21 08:58 PM

I always remember going to San Antonio, and remember leaving.... But the during is always foggy,,,
Posted By: Hook'em79

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/03/21 09:07 PM

El Milagrito for breakfast tacos, some of the best I have ever had.
521 E Woodlawn Ave
San Antonio 78212

Only open from 5:30-3:00
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/03/21 09:26 PM

LOL, even the Taco Bell in SA will be better than the Taco Bell in Okie land. Enjoy your time their!!

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/03/21 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by cocodrie
What part of town?

We got an Airbnb just a couple miles north of downtown

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/03/21 09:58 PM

That's a good central area. If you want all the tourist places, then go downtown and have your pick. If you're a foodie, then go check out The Pearl, it's got shops and outdoor spaces for the wife/family/kids and a bunch of really good places to eat. Central to the SA Zoo area is Chris Madrids, The Cove (little hippy place, I don't think it's great but a lot of people do) and Smoke Shack BBQ. For all Mexican food, just pick a place with a crowd, they're all over. Same goes for breakfast tacos, just pick a place. If you want a little more "local chain" Mexican food and breakfast tacos, especially at 2am headed home from the bars, then Las Palapas are scattered around town, can't go wrong there. If you want to check out Bass Pro and let the wife spend money, then The Rim & La Cantera will have all you're looking for to eat and do.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/03/21 11:00 PM

Need to try this Mexican place in Stone Oak. Real good food and plenty of different kinds of Margarita's that will meet your needs. The service is above average which means a lot to me. The patio area has a view that is not what you would expect.

https://aldacosrestaurants.com/
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/03/21 11:42 PM

County Line Bar B.Q. Outstanding. food

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/03/21 11:43 PM

Also Good Time Charlies on Broadway. Great Chicken Fried Steak! food
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/03/21 11:52 PM

That's a good central area. If you want all the tourist places, then go downtown and have your pick. If you're a foodie, then go check out The Pearl, it's got shops and outdoor spaces for the wife/family/kids and a bunch of really good places to eat. Central to the SA Zoo area is Chris Madrids, The Cove (little hippy place, I don't think it's great but a lot of people do) and Smoke Shack BBQ. For all Mexican food, just pick a place with a crowd, they're all over. Same goes for breakfast tacos, just pick a place. If you want a little more "local chain" Mexican food and breakfast tacos, especially at 2am headed home from the bars, then Las Palapas are scattered around town, can't go wrong there. If you want to check out Bass Pro and let the wife spend money, then The Rim & La Cantera will have all you're looking for to eat and do.

Even though I hope a snake bites him in the face, coco is correct.

And las palalas smokes suck [censored] mi tierra any day of the week

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/03/21 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by elcoyote, esq.

Even though I hope a snake bites him in the face, coco is correct.

And las palalas smokes suck [censored] mi tierra any day of the week

I hate tourist traps!
Posted By: TR176

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/03/21 11:54 PM

The pearl street district is a good vibe with free parking and good security. We ate a casual restaurant in Hotel Emma that was good and reasonably priced. The area a Mi Tierra is torn up and the market is dead, the public parking was $10 and I didn’t see any security. Rosaritas (just past past LaVillita) was good as always. Everyplace on the river was pretty busy.

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/04/21 12:00 AM

Lulu's closed?! cry
Posted By: Glenn_S

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/04/21 12:22 AM

https://godaisushi.com

Not just sushi, but all of it is really good.

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/04/21 12:30 AM

Dang we’re gonna need to plan another trip just to try all these places. They all look really good. I’m getting my appetite ready!!
Posted By: Darin S.

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/04/21 12:53 AM

The best Tex mex down here are the little hole in the wall mom & pops places, especially breakfast tacos.
Posted By: Patrnflyr

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/04/21 01:02 AM

La Hacienda de Los Barrios Probably the best cheese enchiladas I've ever had when I lived down there. Their puffy tacos were featured on Food Network

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/04/21 01:09 AM

La Hacienda just renovated their outdoor area. That place is great for patio margaritas.
Posted By: Patrnflyr

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/04/21 01:20 AM

I lived there six years for school and residency. We made it a point to try a different Mexican restaurant as much as possible. It’s really hard to go wrong at any place. Viola’s Ventanas is owned by the same people with the same menu out by SeaWorld. La Hacienda is up N of the Stonegate area and 1604 Central area. The original is on Blanco inside of loop410.
Posted By: Darin S.

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/04/21 01:20 AM

Las palapas is terrible! I don’t know what happened but they really went down hill the last couple of years.

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/04/21 02:07 AM

Dang, that sucks. Nothing was better than a 2am basket of chips, some breakfast tacos, a couple taco nortenos and a macho burrito.
Posted By: NoWeighers

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/04/21 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Hook'em79
El Milagrito for breakfast tacos, some of the best I have ever had.
521 E Woodlawn Ave
San Antonio 78212

Only open from 5:30-3:00

Another excellent choice! Totally agree..

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/04/21 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
Lulu's closed?! cry

Yes. Permanently Closed!
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/04/21 04:11 AM

Get yourself a good supply of Tums or Prilosec!

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/04/21 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
Get yourself a good supply of Tums or Prilosec!

Already got em packed!!

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/19/21 03:24 PM

Well we had a great time and didn't have a bad meal while we were down there. We took a lot of these recommendations and if anybody hasn't tried any of these places out, I would recommend!

Here's a little recap for y'all (will be adding some pictures here in a bit as well)

Tuesday
Had breakfast in
Lunch- Boudro's at the Riverwalk. Had the Gulf Coast seacakes, House smoked jumbo shrimp & gulf crab enchiladas, and the Blue crab Tostada. All were fantastic.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dinner- Sabor Cocinabar. Had the shrimp tacos, very good!
[Linked Image]

Wednesday
Breakfast at Magnolia Pancake Haus. Had the Farmer's Scramble and a couple big pancakes on the side.
[Linked Image]

Spent the day doing some shopping around Boerne and Comfort.
Dinner at Peasano's on the Riverwalk. Had the bone in porkchop. A little on the dry side but pretty good
[Linked Image]

Dessert- Justin's Ice Cream
[Linked Image]

Thursday
Spent the day at Sea world.
Dinner- Dough Pizzeria
[Linked Image]

Dessert- Lick (Ice cream) at the Pearl District

Friday
Breakfast at Milagrito's. Tried 3 different tacos, all were great.
Spent the day at the pool at our Airbnb
Lunch/snack- Beignets from Nola. Had the Original, lemon, and seasonal which was blueberry/banana.
[Linked Image]

Dinner at Papdeax’s. Couldn’t come to Texas without stopping by there lol

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/19/21 03:37 PM

Boudro's is always awesome.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/19/21 04:20 PM

Damn, you spent some money on food! All looks great!

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/19/21 05:52 PM

Paesanos and you didn't get the shrimp Paesanos?!?!?! Ohhh come on.

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/19/21 05:58 PM

Hell yeah!
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/19/21 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Darin S.
Las palapas is terrible! I don’t know what happened but they really went down hill the last couple of years.

Las Palapas has franchised, that might have something to do with it.
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/19/21 07:45 PM

El Bucanero for Mexican and Seafood is also a good one.

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/19/21 07:47 PM

Shoot!!! I'll have to come back so I can give them a try haha. I did have a couple of their bourbons as well. Saw they had some Pappy but I just couldn't justify dropping $150 for a pour!
Posted By: F4 Gator

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/19/21 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Also Good Time Charlies on Broadway. Great Chicken Fried Steak! food

Agree -- great chicken fried steak! thumb
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Food in San Antonio - 05/19/21 09:17 PM

Looks like you fared well, Bissett!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum