Texas Fishing Forum

So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor...

Posted By: JCG57

So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/02/21 11:46 PM

...and returned it in two pieces: the part in the pic that he found in his yard and everything else still bolted together. Anyone know what this part is and what fix I am looking at? And, possibly related, fluid is leaking close to where rear axle meets wheel. Husqvarna tractor.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/02/21 11:54 PM

Anything tractor related goes thru Jacob. In that second pic, it looks like he ran thru some really thick doo doo. Jacob would probably tell you it can be fixed by just spraying it off with the garden hose.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/03/21 12:17 AM

Never loan anything to a neighbor nothing good will come of it.
Posted By: BThomas

Re: So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/03/21 12:46 AM

Year model ?

What condition was it in when you loaned it (is Clean) ?
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/03/21 12:52 AM

The part in the top pic did not come from the leaky area in the 2nd pic.

If it did it would have to be split in half at least.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/03/21 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by basscaster46

Good advice, and don't borrow anything from him either. When you take it back he's liable to claim you screwed it up.

Re: So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/03/21 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by BThomas
Year model ?

What condition was it in when you loaned it (is Clean) ?

Husqvarna YTA 22V46.

Re: So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/03/21 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66
The part in the top pic did not come from the leaky area in the 2nd pic.

If it did it would have to be split in half at least.

Agreed. I think the part is a cover for something below the seat and above the axle. Just wondering if whatever he hit caused the cover to fall off and damaged something else causing the leak.
Posted By: Droyhef

Re: So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/03/21 01:38 AM

Pretty sure thats a cup holder. Cant find anything else that looks like that on a parts diagram.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/03/21 01:41 AM

I'm thinking he will fix it.

Re: So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/03/21 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Droyhef
Pretty sure thats a cup holder. Cant find anything else that looks like that on a parts diagram.

Not a cup holder, but I am now pretty convinced it did not come from my tractor. Tried searching the part number with Husqvarna and came up empty. It was probably in his yard for a couple weeks and got overgrown with grass - may have come from the crew that was working on his septic tank.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/03/21 04:03 AM

A few things ya don’t loan. Tractor number one, even it a lawn/garden tractor. Second a really nice truck for the guy down the street to move furniture in.

And last, chainsaw, cause the the guy ya loaned it to will says it doesn’t cut very good in dirt very long!!!
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/03/21 04:30 AM

Leaking axel seal easy fix. On the gearbox there sill be a sticker with the gearbox brand and model. You can normaly find this sticker back side of the gear box gotta get down neat ground level to see it. Once you have the model number do a google search to find a part list.

Once you get the part you will want to tilt the effected axle up not a lot but enough to get the gear oil in the gearbox to flow to the opposite side (30 to 40 degree angle). Keep it tilted and remove wheel from effected axle, then sand axle to smooth (removing the rust) use a flat head to pry the old axle seal out and remove. Then lube axle and slide on new seal tapping it in evenly. Put wheel back on and that's it.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/03/21 01:44 PM

That looks to be the top off of your drive unit. Click on the link and scroll down to see the part on the right side of the picture.
Drive Unit

Re: So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/03/21 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Oldrabbit
That looks to be the top off of your drive unit. Click on the link and scroll down to see the part on the right side of the picture.
Drive Unit

I think you are correct - noticed the same part on a transmission diagram last night. Also think Alumacraft14 hit the nail on the head with his diagnosis of axle seal leak.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/03/21 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Billy Blazer 300 HPDI
A few things ya don’t loan. Tractor number one, even it a lawn/garden tractor. Second a really nice truck for the guy down the street to move furniture in.

And last, chainsaw, cause the the guy ya loaned it to will says it doesn’t cut very good in dirt very long!!!

Loaned out the chainsaw. It came back burned up. Gave him the oil to mix with the gas.
I did get a new chainsaw out of the deal.
Posted By: Barbers Tree

Re: So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/03/21 02:23 PM

Have him take it to a shop and have him pay to get it fixed. He's 100% responsible.

Re: So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/03/21 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Barbers Tree

Have him take it to a shop and have him pay to get it fixed. He's 100% responsible.

He already said he would pay for the repair. I might suggest splitting cost 50/50 or just cover it myself. Really don't think he caused problem - suspect it's been building up and just surfaced when he had it. This is the most expensive of 5 tractors I have owned and has caused the most problems in first 4 years of its life. My next one will not have a hydrostatic transmission.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/03/21 04:33 PM

I've never seen a piece like that on a lawn tractor.
Posted By: Barbers Tree

Re: So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/03/21 06:49 PM

I have a zero turn Hustler Fast Trac with a 18 hp Honda motor. Its 17 yrs old and just changed the oil, filter and spark plug. Replaced the blades and tires once, still runs like a champ.
Posted By: mavsfan

Re: So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/03/21 08:21 PM

It aint been good for me when I loaned the wife out....they gave her back to me
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/03/21 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by mavsfan

did your drive unit fall off too?
Posted By: roadtrip

Re: So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/03/21 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by UGLYSHCTICK
Originally Posted by mavsfan

did your drive unit fall off too?

Hope she wasn't leaking from her axle!!
Posted By: blooper961

Re: So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/03/21 10:02 PM

Judge Judy made millions out of these loans
Posted By: gdr_11

Re: So the neighbor borrowed my lawn tractor... - 05/03/21 10:51 PM

Threads like this always get me. I never offer to loan anyone anything and I always decline the offer of borrowing something from my neighbor. I believe the only thing I ever borrowed was a manual post hole digger and I returned it cleaner than when I got it. i hate to ask for help with anything either; will hire someone from outside before I have a neighbor come over. In my world, neighbors are for emergencies, not convenience. I would do anything for my neighbors in an emergency and have indeed asked for help in a drastic situation. Other than that, no good can come from it and you have to live next door with the consequences
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum