Texas Fishing Forum

Snake pic

Posted By: Stump jumper

Snake pic - 05/01/21 10:48 PM

Brother just sent this to me from east TX. Asked what I thought it was. I say cottonmouth. [Linked Image]
Posted By: 1ShotNoKills

Re: Snake pic - 05/01/21 10:53 PM

King or Rat
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Snake pic - 05/01/21 10:54 PM

Texas rat snake. Beneficial unless you have chickens.
Posted By: Siberman

Re: Snake pic - 05/01/21 10:56 PM

Can't really tell from the pic , sorry . 99.9 % sure it's not a cottonmouth though . Too skinny .

"What Kind of Snake is This ? " on Facebook is an excellent identification site . Just ignore all the "Karen" posts about how you shouldn't kill a venomous snake since "they were here first" . rolleyes

I'll go out of my way on the creek or lake to avoid them but I don't tolerate Mocs and Coppers near my house .

My yard = my rules .
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Snake pic - 05/01/21 11:01 PM

Texas Rat Snake or common water snake. The long slender tail is an immediate clue it’s no cottonmouth. Cottonmouths are never over 5 feet and that’s a monster. They have a very stubby tail.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Snake pic - 05/01/21 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by K.D.
Texas Rat Snake or common water snake. The long slender tail is an immediate clue it’s no cottonmouth. Cottonmouths are never over 5 feet and that’s a monster. They have a very stubby tail.

this, cottonmouth tail has a noticeable reduction in size for the last few inches.
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: Snake pic - 05/01/21 11:23 PM

Dat der snek is one dem spitting cobra outfits that you see in them western shows.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Snake pic - 05/01/21 11:24 PM

Rat snake.. I let them go
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Snake pic - 05/01/21 11:26 PM

When animals are still really young, Flyfisherman just kills them.
Posted By: Westside.

Re: Snake pic - 05/01/21 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sawhorse
When animals are still really young, Flyfisherman just kills them.

Herd immunity 180°, he needs to focus on the olds

Re: Snake pic - 05/01/21 11:30 PM

I was focused too much on the head. It is skinny for a cottonmouth.

Re: Snake pic - 05/01/21 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Stump jumper
I was focused too much on the head.

Sig worthy
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: Snake pic - 05/01/21 11:34 PM

That is a rat-eating machine, let ‘em go!
Posted By: Tneel

Re: Snake pic - 05/01/21 11:38 PM

Pointed tail equals no cottonmouth.
Posted By: BOZZ

Re: Snake pic - 05/01/21 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Siberman
Can't really tell from the pic , sorry . 99.9 % sure it's not a cottonmouth though . Too skinny .

"What Kind of Snake is This ? " on Facebook is an excellent identification site . Just ignore all the "Karen" posts about how you shouldn't kill a venomous snake since "they were here first" . rolleyes

I'll go out of my way on the creek or lake to avoid them but I don't tolerate Mocs and Coppers near my house .

My yard = my rules .

This ^^^^ You're rules are my rules as well.

Good Luck,
Bozz
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: Snake pic - 05/02/21 12:40 AM

Pissed off east Tx boat snake
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Snake pic - 05/02/21 12:47 AM

I have killed a cottonmouth over 6’ long, on a lease between Cleveland and Dayton. And yes, I know what a cottonmouth is. It’s the one and only snake I hate.
Posted By: Beak47

Re: Snake pic - 05/02/21 12:54 AM

Thats also a quail eating machine. TPWD says kill de rat snakes as they are bigtime predators if you are trying to help Bobwhites as we are.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Snake pic - 05/02/21 01:01 AM

If you're going to shoot'em, get him out of the boat.

Re: Snake pic - 05/02/21 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Ford

I have killed a cottonmouth over 6’ long, on a lease between Cleveland and Dayton. And yes, I know what a cottonmouth is. It’s the one and only snake I hate.

You sir, killed a snake a foot longer than the longest recorded in Texas.

https://www.inaturalist.org/guide_taxa/776631

Re: Snake pic - 05/02/21 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Beak47
Thats also a quail eating machine. TPWD says kill de rat snakes as they are bigtime predators if you are trying to help Bobwhites as we are.

Might be what happened to my covey at the house. Might have been last one in Rockwall County. We have lots of rat snakes.
Posted By: n2ratfishin

Re: Snake pic - 05/02/21 12:56 PM

Appears to be a copperbackrattlemoccasin. roflmao
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Snake pic - 05/02/21 01:09 PM

rat snake
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Snake pic - 05/02/21 01:22 PM

Gaboon Viper
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Snake pic - 05/02/21 01:42 PM

Speckled king snake.

http://www.kingsnake.com/king/getula/holbrooki.html
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Snake pic - 05/02/21 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by fishmagnet
That is a rat-eating machine, let ‘em go!

Originally Posted by Beak47

Rat snakes consume a large number of bird eggs and young birds in nests as well. I had one kill 8 adult Purple Martins last year and they were all too large for him to eat. So he would pick a different gourd and continue killing them.
Posted By: Davedave

Re: Snake pic - 05/02/21 02:57 PM

I killed one that was 9 feet long.
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: Snake pic - 05/02/21 03:18 PM

I seen it
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Snake pic - 05/02/21 03:58 PM

slinger bang bang bang bang bang bang, reload, repeat !

Re: Snake pic - 05/02/21 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Davedave

I killed one that was 9 feet long.

You’re like the Usain Bolt of snake killin.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Snake pic - 05/02/21 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Topwater2
If you're going to shoot'em, get him out of the boat.

^^^ Wisdom. ^^^
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Snake pic - 05/02/21 06:21 PM

[Linked Image]

biggest cottonmouth I've ever seen....and this is NOT photo shopped nor is it held out extended to the toward the camera to make it look bigger........my neighbor(Jack Thompson) killed this snake on his farm near Shellman (southwest Georgia) several years ago and he showed me the picture while it was still on his camera the afternoon he killed the snake...
he and his wife were driving around a pond on his farm when they saw what Jack thought was a small alligator's tail sticking out of the grass onto the bare dirt on the field road around the pond...Jack said he stopped the truck and reached in the back and picked up a small spade shovel...he parted the grass above what he thought was a small gator and this huge snake coiled up almost in his face...he swung the spade by reflex and fortunately the blade of the shovel almost severed the snakes head(look close at photo and you can see where he hit the snake)...
Jack said he knew it was a big snake and he got his wife to take a couple of pictures of the snake and he pitched the snake into the pond for the turtles to eat...
Jack was sales manager for local John Deere dealership here and after showing the picture to several people the next day all of whom had never seen a cottonmouth this big (Jack is 6ft 3 in tall so you can see how big this snake is)....Jack took the picture to the local DNR fisheries/game management office....they like all of us including Jack wished he had saved the snake and assured him this snake would have been a state record if they could have physically measured it....
Sadly Jack was killed the following year in a bulldozer accident clearing brush on his farm...

Re: Snake pic - 05/02/21 06:59 PM

Sorry BT, I couldn’t make it past the claim it’s not held out to the camera when it’s clearly resting on a shovel blade. I didn’t even read the rest

Re: Snake pic - 05/02/21 09:29 PM

Sorry BT, I couldn’t make it past the claim it’s not held out to the camera when it’s clearly resting on a shovel blade. I didn’t even read the rest

I read the whole thing hoping to learn something about those copperhead-killin crocs. Not a word was mentioned. I guess they’re just the same general-use crocs all of us can buy.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum