Texas Fishing Forum

Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads?

Posted By: cocodrie

Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/13/21 09:47 PM

With UT being in Austin, CA and the Aggy putting on a drag queen fashion show on campus, I'm trying to come up with a short list of colleges to start becoming a t-shirt fan for, so it hopefully influences my children to go to a school with some credit.

My wife went to Tech, so that's a big no.

Should I become an OU and OSU fan? Any schools in Louisiana worth wearing a t-shirt for?
Posted By: Bad93ex

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/13/21 09:48 PM

The capstone of higher education?
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/13/21 09:56 PM

C'mon dude!

what more do I need to say in this day and age. can't beat em, choot em lizbeth!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/13/21 09:58 PM

I'm kind of leaning toward OU they seem to win alot more

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/13/21 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kicker16

check their politics is my best suggestion. grin
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/13/21 10:09 PM

Both sons graduated from OU and has worked out well for them so far: one is attorney for evil oil company and the other is engineer for robotics company (that is subsidiary of evil oil services company).
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/13/21 10:13 PM

My son went there. Had an awesome experience and met some incredible people. He has a very good job and I give OU two thumbs up. Going to games used to so much fun. Don’t know about that anymore....
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/13/21 10:24 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/13/21 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by UGLYSHCTICK
[Linked Image]

For some reason I think this guy would be like Butch

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/13/21 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by cocodrie
Originally Posted by UGLYSHCTICK
[Linked Image]

For some reason I think this guy would be like Butch

[Linked Image]

After a 2 point conversion
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/13/21 10:31 PM

With UT being in Austin, CA and the Aggy putting on a drag queen fashion show on campus, I'm trying to come up with a short list of colleges to start becoming a t-shirt fan for, so it hopefully influences my children to go to a school with some credit.

My wife went to Tech, so that's a big no.

Should I become an OU and OSU fan? Any schools in Louisiana worth wearing a t-shirt for?

Go Alabama Crimson Tide! Can't go wrong ! cheers
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/13/21 10:33 PM

That stuff happens at every school. My youngest went to a D3 school in Arkansas for a year and they were off the charts looney with stupid stuff, he transferred to TT and is happy as can be.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/13/21 10:36 PM

Following.....
I too am looking for a new t shirt.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/13/21 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
C'mon dude!

what more do I need to say in this day and age. can't beat em, choot em lizbeth!

[Linked Image]

Yep.

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/13/21 10:58 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/13/21 11:02 PM

I don't buy any t-shirts but I do have a UT cap. I don't feel like I have because of some kind of infatuation with UT sports but I do like their football and was quite happy when they beat USC for the Nat'l Championship back in the Vince Young era. I saw one of those burnt orange Longhorn caps worn by one of the young wardens on Northwoods Law the other day. Thought that was interesting.

I did pull for Baylor in the recent final 4. I like Texas schools I guess because I;ve lived in Texas over 60 years and consider myself a Texan.

But to answer your question, No, my kids wouldn't go to a Okie school because I'm not gonna pay out of state tuition. Hell, I wouldn't pay for an in-state private school because of the cost.

Get your t-shirt from where ever. I don't like any of the Okie schools particularly. If I was gonna support a non-Texas school with a t-shirt purchase I'd be tempted to support that school in Tuscaloosa or maybe the one in Baton Rouge. I don't feel strongly about any of them as I said.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/13/21 11:03 PM

[Linked Image]

Bet her daddy's proud ! Or maybe jealous.
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/13/21 11:15 PM

[Linked Image]

Yah know I’ve been wanting to go back to school

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/13/21 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nickbyrd
[Linked Image]

Yah know I’ve been wanting to go back to school

pretty sure that is some post grad thesis work right there.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/13/21 11:18 PM

Tulane—gets flooded every seven years or so due to hurricanes; but it’s a great school in the biggest party town in the USA. Great place to visit with the best fishing in the continental US 100 miles south in Venice.

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/13/21 11:23 PM

University of New Mexico. Great climate. Excellent skiing/snowboarding/fishing. Recreational utilization was just approved yesterday.
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/13/21 11:38 PM

yeah Norman is like a mini Berkeley, CA. Stillwater is better.

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/13/21 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by grandbassslayer

yeah Norman is like a mini Berkeley, CA. Stillwater is better.

Way more liberal.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/13/21 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by RayBob
I don't buy any t-shirts but I do have a UT cap. I don't feel like I have because of some kind of infatuation with UT sports but I do like their football and was quite happy when they beat USC for the Nat'l Championship back in the Vince Young era. I saw one of those burnt orange Longhorn caps worn by one of the young wardens on Northwoods Law the other day. Thought that was interesting.

I did pull for Baylor in the recent final 4. I like Texas schools I guess because I;ve lived in Texas over 60 years and consider myself a Texan.

But to answer your question, No, my kids wouldn't go to a Okie school because I'm not gonna pay out of state tuition. Hell, I wouldn't pay for an in-state private school because of the cost.

Get your t-shirt from where ever. I don't like any of the Okie schools particularly. If I was gonna support a non-Texas school with a t-shirt purchase I'd be tempted to support that school in Tuscaloosa or maybe the one in Baton Rouge. I don't feel strongly about any of them as I said.

You should have double checked those tuitions. OU was less money then any of the Texas schools even with out of state tuition.
That was 12 to 15 years ago.
Posted By: fishslime

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 12:15 AM

Did you check that out before choosing a university to attend?
Posted By: Pilothawk

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 12:17 AM

I ended up buying an existing home vice building due to the stupid cost of lumber and products.

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by fishslime

Yes.
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 12:24 AM

not supporting ou or osu here but Texas and Oklahoma I think have an agreement about not charging out of state tuition to students from the other state

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by RATZ
not supporting ou or osu here but Texas and Oklahoma I think have an agreement about not charging out of state tuition to students from the other state

Nope. A friend at work is dealing with that for his son.

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 12:30 AM

My sister in law went to Ole Miss. Said it was a great southern school 15 years ago. A guy I work with went to Bama and he said there is no way you could do the things he did 20 years ago today. I do like the top tier SEC schools like Georgia and South Carolina. I'm hoping at least one of these bastards gets a scholarship in some D1 sport.

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 12:40 AM

I went to ou in fall 74/winter 75 and the politics back then were nothing like today. never went back because of the ahats, profs and sports.

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 12:41 AM

workin as a porter at the local dealership had some serious perks back then.
Posted By: malibu6501

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 12:47 AM

Daughter graduated from ORU. Met her husband there. They turned out OK I guess. Living in Hungary running an Arts school.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 01:00 AM

I rectum sore.
Posted By: Ted Dyer

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bad93ex
The capstone of higher education?

This should have ended this thread. If you’re changing allegiances, there is no other answer.
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 01:55 AM

Nt sis and bro in law graduated OU and they make Don Lemon look as far right as Ted Nugent. I am afraid common sense and hard fact has left the building on college campuses. Oh, my bro in law is a prof at OU. Want your kid indoctrinated by a cuck sissy boy who does not know a craftsman 3/8" drive ratchet from a Milwaukee circular saw?

I thought not sir.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 01:59 AM

My niece is studying nursing at Souteastern Oklahoma State College...she's doing great.
Posted By: Gusick

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 02:03 AM

I'd prefer they become methheads than graduate form Oklahoma.
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 02:06 AM

I guess I would consider it if they couldn't get into JUCO, or Barber College....... bolt
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 04:57 AM

Mine has already graduated in Oklahoma. It’s no big deal if you get a degree outside of Texas, it’s still a degree when you come back to Texas. My son graduated from Southeastern Oklahoma State majoring in Occupational Health and Safety. He’s 29 years old and has been making over $100k the last 3 years. Southeastern and Okie Lite are the only two schools offering Occupational Health and Safety. Didn’t pay out of state tuition as he was on a football scholarship. And he loved every minute of big Durant, Oklahoma. He acted like he was in South Bend, Indiana at Notre Dame.l
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Coach Hark
Mine has already graduated in Oklahoma. It’s no big deal if you get a degree outside of Texas, it’s still a degree when you come back to Texas. My son graduated from Southeastern Oklahoma State majoring in Occupational Health and Safety. He’s 29 years old and has been making over $100k the last 3 years. Southeastern and Okie Lite are the only two schools offering Occupational Health and Safety. Didn’t pay out of state tuition as he was on a football scholarship. And he loved every minute of big Durant, Oklahoma. He acted like he was in South Bend, Indiana at Notre Dame.l

thumb thumb thumb thumb
Posted By: gregpaul

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 10:23 AM

My sister in law went to Ole Miss. Said it was a great southern school 15 years ago. A guy I work with went to Bama and he said there is no way you could do the things he did 20 years ago today. I do like the top tier SEC schools like Georgia and South Carolina. I'm hoping at least one of these bastards gets a scholarship in some D1 sport.

OMG
Posted By: Zipster

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 01:13 PM

My youngest daughter graduated OU. Loved the experience and she is also aa conservative for what that's worth.
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 01:16 PM

Mine went to A&M. As Zipster said, we loved the Aggie experience.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 01:19 PM

I suggested my daughter look at some Oklahoma schools cause wifes side has the indian paper work and it would have saved dad a bunch but she wasnt having it.

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI
I suggested my daughter look at some Oklahoma schools cause wifes side has the indian paper work and it would have saved dad a bunch but she wasnt having it.

Instate tuition? it's pretty reasonable at OSU. Don't think OU is much different in price.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW

Instate tuition? it's pretty reasonable at OSU. Don't think OU is much different in price.

The Indians get a big discount, or at least they did 5 years ago. Applies to like 1/32. You need the documentation which they have their tribe numbers. My banker told me about it as they actually sent him a tuition rebate for their first 3 years as they didnt know till she was a senior. I believe OU dropped the program but most of the rest are still participating, or at least they were when I looked into it.

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 01:28 PM

The Indians get a big discount, or at least they did 5 years ago. Applies to like 1/32. You need the documentation which they have their tribe numbers.

my grandma and her brother were the last ones on the rolls in my family. too bad.
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 01:28 PM

if my kid gets a full ride I don't care where they go even if it's ou or a&m

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 01:47 PM

Breaking news: a back-up kicker (from FloMo) just transferred from Arizona State to OU. He clearly senses a pending national championship!
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 02:04 PM

The Indians get a big discount, or at least they did 5 years ago. Applies to like 1/32. You need the documentation which they have their tribe numbers. My banker told me about it as they actually sent him a tuition rebate for their first 3 years as they didnt know till she was a senior. I believe OU dropped the program but most of the rest are still participating, or at least they were when I looked into it.

I don't think that's just for Oklahoma schools wawi, you should check into it a little more. My boys got tuition assistance, it's not an enormous amount but it's not peanuts either.

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 02:11 PM

The Indians get a big discount, or at least they did 5 years ago. Applies to like 1/32. You need the documentation which they have their tribe numbers.

my grandma and her brother were the last ones on the rolls in my family. too bad.

There's a lot of misconception about the "rolls" Bob. If your ancestors were on the rolls, you're eligible if you do all the paperwork, but it can be a lot of work gathering everything. It doesn't matter how much, my ex was 1/128 and fully eligible.

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by rj74955

There's a lot of misconception about the "rolls" Bob. If your ancestors were on the rolls, you're eligible if you do all the paperwork, but it can be a lot of work gathering everything. It doesn't matter how much, my ex was 1/128 and fully eligible.

They were on the Creek Rolls. If I read correctly you have to be 1/32 or better now. I could be wrong though.
Posted By: bigrebar

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 02:27 PM

I'm currently in the battle as we speak. Daughter is a High School Junior and has the grades, test scores, and class rank to go most anywhere. And of course, she's dead set on going out of state. I keep explaining to her that Dad has just enough money to cover an public university in Texas (hopefully A&M, as both her parents graduated from there) and that if she goes out of state, she's going to fund the difference. But at 17 years old, she just doesn't quite grasp the definition of Debt. My next plan of attack is to purchase a townhouse in College Station. That might make it hard for her to resist, maybe?

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 02:31 PM

You can not reason with a teenager. The only factor on your side is that they have been known to randomly change their minds.

There is a distant possibility that if your teenager starts dating someone that plans on going to A&M, she may choose to go to College Station.
Posted By: RO519

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 02:41 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hook'Em 79

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 02:48 PM

North Mexico??? No thanks and never ever would any of my kids go to ou.

I could be talked into OSU though.
Posted By: PondFish

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
Tulane—gets flooded every seven years or so due to hurricanes; but it’s a great school in the biggest party town in the USA. Great place to visit with the best fishing in the continental US 100 miles south in Venice.

My Wife went to Tulane. Went to see her a few times back then Fun times.BA Art History. Then went to St. Mary's Law so she would have a real job.

If your daughter thinks she wants to teach or be a nurse tell her to look at SFA

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hook'em79
North Mexico??? No thanks and never ever would any of my kids go to ou.

I could be talked into OSU though.

all jokes aside, it's a really great atmosphere on campus and a nice small town to boot.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke
Originally Posted by Coach Hark

thumb thumb thumb thumb

Same here Coach. My son was on the SE golf team for four years, and between that scholarship and paying OK tuition rates because of good grades, it was the best value going. He got a marketing degree from the business school (same accreditation as OU, OSU, and Tulsa) and is doing VERY well in the medical device sales field.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 03:37 PM

Might look at the University of Arkansas. Lots of Texas kids are going there. I don't think they have out of state tuition costs.

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 03:37 PM

My take is that IF a prospective student knows what their major is to be and are dedicated to that major, a certain university has a recognized program in that major, if possible go to that school for at least one degree. Doors will open. Otherwise, it's not where you get the degree, but what you do with it afterwards. Of course, grades are important. You don't necessarily have to pay outrageous tuition to get a good education, either. Most universities have very qualified faculty - competition for college teaching positions is rigorous.

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 04:47 PM

https://reason.com/2021/04/13/unive...y-to-affirm-the-schools-political-views/

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 05:24 PM

roflmao I guess everyone forgot about Chuba making Gundy beg for forgiveness for wearing a t shirt.
Posted By: Ranger1965

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 06:57 PM

My daughter graduates from OSU in 3 weeks, Computer Engineering. Her high school grades and SAT scores were high enough to qualify for instate tuition. I pushed her toward OSU mainly because of politics but I was also impressed when touring the Engineering Department. Liberals can call me what they want, they’re not getting my money. I consider myself a right wing nut job, she sits just to the right of me so I’m very satisfied with my investment.
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 07:02 PM

Competition for college teaching positions is rigorous because the desire to brainwash our youth into hating America is strong.

Word
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by spacejunkie
Might look at the University of Arkansas. Lots of Texas kids are going there. I don't think they have out of state tuition costs.

My daughter is going to the University of Arkansas in the fall. They do have out-of-state rates but she is getting a big discount due to good grades and test scores. I am excited for her.
Posted By: SoonerDG

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 10:11 PM

[Linked Image]

Bet her Sugardaddy's proud !

Fixed it.
roflmao

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerDG
[Linked Image]

Fixed it.
roflmao

That's a level of hot few of us can attain. cheers
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerDG
[Linked Image]

Fixed it.
roflmao

That's a level of hot few of us can attain. cheers

Had one like that a few years back. Level of crazy was off the charts.
Posted By: silvers

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 11:03 PM

Yes, more every day

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/14/21 11:36 PM

If your kid has a brain and the self-confidence to resist indoctrination they can attend any school and emerge unscathed. All three of mine did. The oldest even survived three years of thought control at Harvard Law and came out to the right of Attila the Hun. They all saw the bias of many faculty and found their attempts at influencing political views humorous.

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/15/21 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sawhorse
Competition for college teaching positions is rigorous because the desire to brainwash our youth into hating America is strong.

Word

Stupid statement.
Posted By: meP2too

Re: Would you let your kids be Oklahoma grads? - 04/15/21 01:47 AM

My son is looking at Oklahoma Central and their PGA program.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum