Texas Fishing Forum

What is the best thing....

Posted By: ReelBusy

What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 12:52 AM

What is the best food/meal you have ever eaten?

I would have to go with the smoked/fire roasted prime rib at Perini's in Buffalo Gap.

A close second would be the shrimp enchiladas at Grady Spear's place.
Posted By: Emit R Detsaw

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 12:56 AM

After a month long deployment where all we got to eat were MREs, they gave us a steak cookout. Those were some great steaks.
Posted By: Sawyer S

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:15 AM

Tacos al Carbon from Mi Dia From Scratch. Or a Prime Rib from Lawry's Steakhouse
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by ReelBusy

I would have to go with the smoked/fire roasted prime rib at Perini's in Buffalo Gap.

Did you have the green chili hominy or the Cowboy potatoes with that prime rib?
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:23 AM

Cheeseburger and fries from the origins Goldie's in Tulsa.
Posted By: Westside.

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:26 AM

Horseshoe Hill?
Posted By: Trickster

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Emit R Detsaw
After a month long deployment where all we got to eat were MREs, they gave us a steak cookout. Those were some great steaks.

thumb
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:27 AM

Steak and shrimp, place in Cabo.
Posted By: Davedave

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:28 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MBradford

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Davedave
[Linked Image]

Looks like someone already tried eating it.

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by MBradford
[Linked Image]

Looks like someone already tried eating it.

Or returned it. barf
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by 21xs Elite

taters

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:39 AM

taters

Next time try the hominy, you will never eat the taters again. We make it here at home regularly.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:39 AM

A rack of Beef Ribs at the County Line Bar B.Q. in San Antonio. food

Second is a T.Bone Steak at the Josephine Street Restaurant, also in San Antonio.

Side Note: Home cooked meals are in a class all by themselves. food
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:40 AM

Patty melt from whataburger ftw

[Linked Image]

Dog throw up the Ol Roy? Disgusting

Originally Posted by bradnitro175

Don’t get out much I assume? bolt
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:42 AM

It's NOT on any menu......
Posted By: Team Skeeterless

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:42 AM

Ribeye from the Beehive in Albany!! Joe Allen’s in Abilene used to do an awesome ribeye as well. Perini’s is very good.
Posted By: MBradford

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:47 AM

My mom's fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy.

My stepdad's (RIP) potato salad.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:54 AM

A big ol’ fat, juicy medium rare rib-eye from Ruth’s Chris steak house. Baked Potato and grilled asparagus.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:55 AM

This thread is making me HUNGRY! food
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 02:01 AM

I would have to say the Roulade with Red cabbage at Zur Autobahn in Meridian followed by their streusel (I believe it was apple).
Posted By: Westside.

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 02:02 AM

A small place in Islamorada right on the water, for the life of me can't remember the name, they grilled up our yellow tail snapper and dorado we caught that day, straight from the sea lobster our host Phil dove for off his Donzi, ate family style with strangers/great people at long picnic tables, byob, twas fantastic
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 02:04 AM

Its saved me a many times...

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 02:08 AM

Its saved me a many times...

Alsups chimi has done the same for me a time or two.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 02:08 AM

Huge ribeye at the original Lowake Steakhouse in beautiful Lowake, TX. Out in the world, Bistecca alla Florentino somewhere around Mugello in Italy or sushi almost anywhere in Tokyo.
Posted By: a777pilot

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 02:12 AM

Mongolian BBQ at Genghis Khan's on Okinawa.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 02:19 AM

There’s been a bunch. Best?
Moishes steak in Montreal was the best steak ever.
If you’re going through New Iberia and craving crab Janes will be unforgettable.
If you’re in Springdale Arkansas the AQ chicken house will serve you the best you’ve ever had.
I’ve eaten at a lot of the places mentioned and they are all terrific. No question.

I just couldn’t do one.

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by HasBen
Huge ribeye at the original Lowake Steakhouse in beautiful Lowake, TX. Out in the world, Bistecca alla Florentino somewhere around Mugello in Italy or sushi almost anywhere in Tokyo.

Back in the day Lowake was really good, since they moved to Rowena it’s a hit or miss now. They old building has just about fallen down now.

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by HasBen

Back in the day Lowake was really good, since they moved to Rowena it’s a hit or miss now. They old building has just about fallen down now.

Sorry to hear that. I used to go deer hunting out there just so I could eat at Lowake. Not sure if I ever shot a deer out there.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 02:33 AM

My mother grew up on a cattle ranch in mill creek Oklahoma. She was helping her mother in the kitchen and cooking for ranch hands from the time she was old enough. She could throw down fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy with the best of them. That was the best I ever ate. Second best was her fried round steak, fried potatoes with gravy.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 02:41 AM

Best Coconut Shrimp I've ever had. Lived two blocks from the place when I first moved to Florida and it was next door to the best fishing pier in south florida. Aruba Beach Cafe, Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, FL

https://www.arubabeachcafe.com/
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 02:57 AM

Bone in rib-eye at the Weber Grill in Chicago. I wanted another one after I licked the plate when the forst one was gone.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 02:58 AM

Large escargot (in Season) at Vincents 40 years ago, with their crab claws and garlicky cole slaw.
Posted By: kingfish_1970

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 03:32 AM

Pork chop from PERRYS STEAKHOUSE in Austin
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 03:42 AM

Carne adovada plate from Sadie's in Albuquerque. Throw in a couple sopapillas on the side and its even better.
Posted By: RATZ

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Team Skeeterless
Ribeye from the Beehive in Albany!! Joe Allen’s in Abilene used to do an awesome ribeye as well. Perini’s is very good.

I'm going with the prime rib at the Beehive in Albany, their ribeye is way up there too. Joe Allen's used to do a great ribeye like you said and they had the best tater salad ever.

Better enjoy if again while you can I've heard Ali is going to close the Albany location and just go with the Abilene location soon. The one in Abilene is great too, but not as good as the one in Albany.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 08:42 AM

My wifes mother had passed in a small town.
The women of the town had put out a spread for the family.
It was all homemade baked and garden veggies
Best meal ever
Posted By: Patriot Guard Rider

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 09:42 AM

Beef Wellington at The 95th in Chicago. Great restaurant on the 95th floor of the John Hancock Center.
Posted By: Teeners boat

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 10:25 AM

Gypsy Shnitzel with red cabbage & spaetzle at a "Sports Bar" in Diedenbergen, Germany. it was a really great place to go eat. They had a sausage on a bun that makes a foot long hot dog look like one of those mini sausages and the "large" beer, this thing is a monster. If memory serves me well it was called "The Meter of Beer" & the glass mug was every bit of a Meter tall. Great place to eat, watch sports & there were the tennis courts you could watch the people play tennis through the glass walls while eating.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 11:00 AM

I have been lucky to eat a lot of fantastic meals.

la fogoncito in san jose costa rica, the all you can eat special is awesome. the meat is like a giro but cooked over a grill and carved at your table, grilled veggies and tortilla soup that is some kind of awesome.

mama ellios pizza across from the main gate at sigonella sicily. she made it from a small cart while you watched then cooked it in a wood fired oven. pizza with all fresh ingredients and some local lambrusco vino.

best steak has to be sweeneys grubsteak in durango (I also worked there as a second job) had the best prime rib I ever ate and the steaks were all hand cut, ny strip or the ribeye would fall apart when touched with a fork.

407 bbq for the best bbq without a doubt.

as a kid I used to catch/clean a few perch/blue gill on kings river in arkansas and build a fire to cook them over on a willow stick. granddad showed me one time. I used to have a blast doin that. food may have sucked (don't really remember) but at the time was probably the best ever had you asked me.
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 11:59 AM

Seafood tower and a ribeye in Vegas.
Posted By: BassFever

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 12:21 PM

Too many to choose from. I like to eat.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 12:55 PM

While visiting Austin we ate at an place that served San Antonio Enchiladas. They were cheese enchiladas smothered in Carne Guisada. OMG, it was so good.
Posted By: Roller22

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
I have been lucky to eat a lot of fantastic meals.

407 bbq for the best bbq without a doubt.

as a kid I used to catch/clean a few perch/blue gill on kings river in arkansas and build a fire to cook them over on a willow stick. granddad showed me one time. I used to have a blast doin that. food may have sucked (don't really remember) but at the time was probably the best ever had you asked me.

Did that as a kid also in central Texas.

When I lived in CO, we would catch trout and cook them over a campfire in the same manner. Delicious. We would also carry a cast iron skillet with grease and corn meal to fry some up with taters and onions. Wow, those were some great meals.

Best steak 20 oz. ribeye at Sleepy Cat Lodge on the White River. They also made homemade scones.
Posted By: bigrebar

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by BassFever
Too many to choose from. I like to eat.

Me 2!!

However, spent a week in Montreal in 2019 and had the pleasure to eat Truffles at 2 different restaurants in two very different dishes. I didn't even know what a truffle was. But let me tell you, you will never forget it. I've never had anything like that before and may never again, they're expensive!!!! From what I've read, some of the most expensive food items by the pound in the world.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:05 PM

My last business trip to Europe about 25 years ago was to meet with reps from Rhone Poulenc at their HQ in Lyon. After the meeting the hosts served a magnificent lunch at their guest cafeteria. Took over two hours, included cocktails, white and red wine, and the magnificent food from the epicenter of classic French cuisine.
Posted By: donothin

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:11 PM

Love a good rib eye, but the thing I remember most is my mother's homemade biscuits, gravy and sausage. She made a unique biscuit, that was not flaky but kinda tough like sourdough. Fresh butter, gravy and sausage with a side of fresh sliced tomatoes.
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:25 PM

The tomahawk at Nusr-Et in Dallas is pretty good.
Posted By: spazm09

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:29 PM

Spicy Ahi Tuna Tower is hard to beat.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:32 PM

A BIG OL' Double Cheese Burger at Bobby J's in Helotes Texas! Simply the BEST! food

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 01:53 PM

First time I had a plate of stacked enchiladas with green chile sauce at a little restaurant in Roswell, NM I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I’ve had better dishes in my travels since, but that one plate has stuck in my mind. NM green chile makes almost anything better.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by kingfish_1970
Pork chop from PERRYS STEAKHOUSE in Austin

The one in Southlake is Excellent also,..especially the Friday Special for $16... grill
Posted By: gregpaul

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 02:19 PM

Filet at Ruth Cris. Grilled asparagus, garlic mashed potatoes, Caesar salad
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 02:32 PM

There's so many things that I classify as the most memorable / best meal....I've been blessed with the ability to travel for work so I've had some amazing meals.

Breakfast = Freiburg, Germany; breakfast buffet that contained the freshest of meats, breads, cheeses, and fruits / vegetables

Lunch = Iwakuni, Japan; Summertime bento boxes on the seawall. Fresh sushi and tempura

Dinner = Indianapolis, IN; St Elmo Steakhouse; their Bone-In prime rib is sinful.

Appetizer = Indianapolis, IN; St Elmo Steakhouse; their shrimp cocktails will make a grown man cry. Seen it literally happen at a table next to us. AHHAHAHAH

Dessert = Carlsbad, CA; Cape Del Ray made this sampler plate that had all locally sourced berries, creams, etc...if I had died that day, I would have been complete. Alas, the lord has more in store for me.

Quick bite = Tijuana, MX; Tacos El Gordo....you only live once and this place is it!
Posted By: Hookem

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 02:45 PM

On a trip to Canada, we stopped at a truck stop/greasy spoon near Mason City, Iowa. I had a steak/eggs breakfast. The 1" thick ribeye could be cut with a fork. Best damn cornfed steak I have ever had.

Speaking of Canada, our 10 day trips to the bush had awesome breakfast/lunch/dinners caught each day and then cooked on the shoreline. (Thanks Aunt Janet and Ma) Walleye. lake trout, yellow perch, northern pike... Never had to open a can of meat, ever.

food
Posted By: PondFish

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 03:00 PM

It's all kind of relative, but here are some....
Routh Street Café, late 1980's(?). There was a Scallop dish with a lobster/pecan/cream sauce.
Again late 1980's, I had been in Scotland and Ireland and hadn't had Tex/Mex for over two weeks. My cousin picked me up at the airport with a six pack on ice and we went to Joe T Garcia's and sat on the patio and stuffed ourselves.
1992, got to have a glass of 1939 Chateau Petrus from a double magnum.
Posted By: Bad93ex

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Hookem

Speaking of Canada, our 10 day trips to the bush had awesome breakfast/lunch/dinners caught each day and then cooked on the shoreline. (Thanks Aunt Janet and Ma) Walleye. lake trout, yellow perch, northern pike... Never had to open a can of meat, ever.

food

I don't think I have ever found walleye here in Texas but when I do get to spend time up north I enjoy eating some fresh walleye.
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 03:13 PM

How about a strudel from the Czech Stop?
Posted By: JackMason

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 03:23 PM

Pappas Seafood's Chilean Sea Bass.
Posted By: I'm The Dude

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 03:25 PM

Surprised nobody has grumbled "I ain't never paid for the best meal I've ever had" yet...

Anyways, I'll give an expensive one and a inexpensive one. Taco joint here in Midland called The Patio, get the Patio Tacos. Expensive meal, Del Friscos ribeye, cant remember anything but the ribeye, it was amazing.
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 03:35 PM

I like food. I can't pick just one or a dozen. How about in Buffalo Gap? Catfish at Deutschlander. I usually stop by when I'm in the area.
Posted By: Tsunami_1

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 04:11 PM

Love all food but one childhood memory comes to mind. My Grandmother brought home a Red Velvet Cake. I had never had such before that day but knew after tasting it that was going to be my favorite for life.

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bad93ex

food

I don't think I have ever found walleye here in Texas but when I do get to spend time up north I enjoy eating some fresh walleye.

they used to stock Lake Bridgeport with them. It didn't take off.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 04:17 PM

Best food/meal.

Spice rubbed then char grilled then finished in a wok stir fried octopus tentacles. Done right, they are like bacon, but with more of a brininess.

Second place: high quality bacon
Posted By: Patriot Guard Rider

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 04:23 PM

I'll add one more. A thick charbroiled pork chop (about 2" thick) that looks like a small t-bone at Patti's 1880 Restaurant in Grand Rivers, KY. An area called Land Between the Lakes. First time we were there a friend treated us. Good thing because I would probably never have paid $25-30 for a pork chop. I've been back twice since and it's all I've ever ordered.
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 04:27 PM

Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners every year, which are basically the same!

...------
Posted By: thrashfish

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 06:50 PM

The original Sconyers BBQ in Augusta Georgia, pork hash & rice or the pork ribs both the best that i have ever had.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 07:16 PM

food

In the winter season Culver's sells walleye plates. Not as good as what you would get in Wisconsin but not bad, either.
Posted By: Wylie Jeff

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 07:54 PM

Toss up for me. Both places in Spain. Los Carokolos(spelling is awful, sorry) spit roasted chicken with rice and a vegetable I don’t remember. Best Chicken I’ve ever eaten. paella in Malaga . Can’t remember the name of the place, but it was close to or in Tremallinos(again spelling is whacked, sorry). I can still taste the Paella in my mind. cheers
Posted By: Flyfisherman

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by NoconaBrian
The tomahawk at Nusr-Et in Dallas is pretty good.

Preach
Posted By: RayBob

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 08:20 PM

I really can't say what was the best. I've had some pretty good things. Last good thing I had was the fried ribeye with a lobster bisque over it. This was at the Cabernet Grill in Fredericksburg a couple of weeks ago. They had really good food and a great wine list. Also their peach 'rita was pretty foo foo but got me excellently buzzed.
Posted By: 30ft jon boat

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 09:36 PM

[Linked Image]

you use a condom on your crock pot?
Posted By: 30ft jon boat

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 09:39 PM

poached salmon and eggs from brennans in nola
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW

food

they used to stock Lake Bridgeport with them. It didn't take off.

Come to Lake Meredith they are biting good right now.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/13/21 10:28 PM

I'm pretty sure the walleye's 1st cousin the sauger used to be stocked up there in yankee Texas
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/14/21 01:26 AM

Man....hard to tell. It depends a lot on how hungry I was at the time. I was part of an advance party once and we were about two weeks ahead of our supply line and had to eat off the local economy. The only things authorized were boiled eggs and boiled weiners. Dude, when that load of MRE's showed up we thought were in heaven!

Best in recent recollection is Eddy V's Prime in Austin. Started off with a dozen on the half shell, then 1/2 pound of chilled peel-and-eat shrimp, then a Caezar salad, then the 8oz filet with grilled asparagus and a loaded baked potato. Dark atmosphere with a 3-piece in the corner laying down rat-pack classics for atmosphere.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: What is the best thing.... - 04/14/21 09:36 AM

Fresh caught walleye from northwest Ontario's Rainy Lake. We would go back to cabin, fillet them, and whoop up a gigantic skillet of fried taters, onions, and peppers to go with them. My dad did the eatin' and me and his best buddy, Garey, did the cookin'. God rest both of their souls....memories that I'll never forget.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum