Texas Fishing Forum

How long will you keep expired food

Posted By: flee fly

How long will you keep expired food - 04/05/21 11:05 PM

Just cooked some rice that was about a month over expiration, some things like milk it’s gone the day after expiration
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/05/21 11:09 PM

As long as it does not smell or look foul its fair game.

The man wants you to consume more and more... those are just guideline dates not hard facts in my experience. Lots of variables at play. How cold is your fridge? How cold was it in the store? If a dry goods item was it kept in a cool dry place?

Again, those are guidelines in many cases for me.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/05/21 11:17 PM

It’s gone.
Posted By: Gusick

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/05/21 11:23 PM

I keep it until it goes bad, which is always a date well beyond the expiration date on the package. The expiration date on the package is the date the store needs to have it sold by, it doesn't apply to the consumer.
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/05/21 11:26 PM

It gets the smell test and a hard glance . Wife usually tosses it before I get a chance to do any of that . We were raised different 🤣
Posted By: Tneel

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/05/21 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
As long as it does not smell or look foul its fair game.

The man wants you to consume more and more... those are just guideline dates not hard facts in my experience. Lots of variables at play. How cold is your fridge? How cold was it in the store? If a dry goods item was it kept in a cool dry place?

Again, those are guidelines in many cases for me.

This is how usually roll.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/05/21 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Gusick
I keep it until it goes bad, which is always a date well beyond the expiration date on the package. The expiration date on the package is the date the store needs to have it sold by, it doesn't apply to the consumer.

There are sell by dates on some and best by dates on others. Sell/freeze by is also seen. Just depends on the type of food, I think.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/05/21 11:55 PM

If it’s a “wet” food I toss it close to the expiration date, dry stuff like the rice I will extend
Posted By: hopalong

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 12:00 AM

depends, are we talkin zombie apocalypse or are we talkin nuclear winter or we talkin it just didn't get used.

there are parameters for different scenarios, need more input.

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 12:01 AM

Ummmm. That is incorrect.

I was a bread man for Rainbo/SaraLee in a former life (15 years). Our bread had a shelf life of 2-3 days(friday and Monday’s deliveries were pulled mon-thurs, respectively) and the date codes were 7days. The date code was the day it was sold by the pound to hog farmers. It was sold in a thrift store for the last four days it was coded at pennies on the dollar.
I know all DSD services were similar.

We couldn’t even sell the “in code” 3-day old bread to prisons and jails unless it was BEFORE the end of the 7-day date.

I get irate when I go to a store nowadays and see 4+day old bakery products for sale. I generally, still to this day, grab em and throw them into the back room somewhere.
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by TexDawg
If it’s a “wet” food I toss it close to the expiration date, dry stuff like the rice I will extend

Agreed. I will only agree to throw it out if a quorum of eaters claim it tastes foul...never before tasting though and only if the objections rise above whining.
Posted By: SgtDag

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 12:09 AM

About a month and a half ago I ate leftover pizza for breakfast. It was in the fridge for a few days...he it’s just me here. I had the worst day followed by the worse night, 7pm till 4 am I was on the throne both ways.

For some reason that changed my life in a way...that’s another post, but I weight 20 lbs less and feel great

FYI, I check all food now for expiration dates, crazy when your alone and don’t realize how long food sits in the fridge/pantry.
Posted By: Moto-Moto

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 12:34 AM

It goes out before the expiration date around here. Eff that
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 12:45 AM

In 1975 we were eating C Rats that were packaged in 1955. Even the cigarettes were still good. Today if it's expired it gets thrown out.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sawhorse

Agreed. I will only agree to throw it out if a quorum of eaters claim it tastes foul...never before tasting though and only if the objections rise above whining.

I hear ya, when my kids were younger we made them drink milk with chunks in it, if they whined we smacked the heck out of them
Posted By: WAWI

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 01:04 AM

About 3 years ago I was digging around in MIL redrigerator, grabbed a jar of pickles that expired in 1998...... I'm real careful what I eat there now.
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 01:08 AM

I check everything. If it's on the date or past date it goes on the trash, I don't take chances
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by WAWI
About 3 years ago I was digging around in MIL redrigerator, grabbed a jar of pickles that expired in 1998...... I'm real careful what I eat there now.

That's got to be a record!
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 01:14 AM

I cleaned my dad's refrigerator out once and there were a few things that were 10 years old.

barf

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

That's got to be a record!

Nah. I got a box of cereal with Emmit Smith on the front. A box of cereal from 93&95 super bowls. And an unopened bottle of the “blue label” diet Dr Pepper with Roger Staubach on it. Hahah.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 01:16 AM

We had that problem with my parents.

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 01:17 AM

...and a 6-pack of Billy Beer.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Kicker16
I check everything. If it's on the date or past date it goes on the trash, I don't take chances

This^^^^^
If it went out of date, did you really need/want it anyway?
Posted By: Gusick

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 01:29 AM

I have pickle in my refrigerator that has been in there since 2018. Doesn't pickling a pickle preserve it?
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sawhorse

I hear ya, when my kids were younger we made them drink milk with chunks in it, if they whined we smacked the heck out of them

roflmao
Posted By: Dognot

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 01:32 AM

I know it isn't food but Epsom salts have an expiration date too. It is probably old as the earth.
Posted By: Beer Money

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Nickbyrd
It gets the smell test and a hard glance . Wife usually tosses it before I get a chance to do any of that . We were raised different 🤣

Same here.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 01:36 AM

Milk/dairy smell it and/or look for mold.

Eggs can go 2 to 3 weeks after the date....float test.

Red meat...smell and look

Chicken/fowl...the date it expires...maybe one day after that if it passes the smell test.

Mayo...day it expires.
Posted By: Beer Money

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 01:36 AM

If you have beers that are a week out of date, do you throw those in the trash?

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Beer Money

It doesn’t last that long.
Posted By: Trebor Neil

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 03:39 AM

I'll admit , as I am an Old,

Too darned much long ago used stuff in my refrif.
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Beer Money

Blasphemy!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

There are sell by dates on some and best by dates on others. Sell/freeze by is also seen. Just depends on the type of food, I think.

Plus #1. Totally depends on the type of food. thumb
Posted By: Cmack

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 11:14 AM

This Sunday we finished off a gallon of milk that had a February 4 expiration date. It had been in a garage refrigerator that kept it nearly frozen, in a slushy state.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 11:37 AM

what can happen to it?

they found a can of pears at Gettysburg
that was over 100 years old & was still good
Posted By: spazm09

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 01:26 PM

Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 01:39 PM

I just made poppers this weekend with cream cheese that expired March 13th. Nobody got sick that I know of. BUT....

When my daughter was in preschool, we were supposed to send snacks for a party. My wife started making strawberry cupcakes and noticed the vegetable oil was expired. And I mean REAL expired. Like a year or something. She asked if oil goes bad. I was like, nahhhhh. It'll be alright. Anyway, when we picked my kid up later that day, the teacher commented that a good portion of the class had been throwing up something pink. eek bolt

Pretty sure the statute of limitations has run out so I can fess up. lol!
Posted By: BassFever

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 02:34 PM

Just depends on what type of food.
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 02:39 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Samsonsworld
I just made poppers this weekend with cream cheese that expired March 13th. Nobody got sick that I know of. BUT....

When my daughter was in preschool, we were supposed to send snacks for a party. My wife started making strawberry cupcakes and noticed the vegetable oil was expired. And I mean REAL expired. Like a year or something. She asked if oil goes bad. I was like, nahhhhh. It'll be alright. Anyway, when we picked my kid up later that day, the teacher commented that a good portion of the class had been throwing up something pink. eek bolt

Pretty sure the statute of limitations has run out so I can fess up. lol!

Your wife poisoned a whole preschool class... what kind of monster lol.
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 03:31 PM

This is the missus's department. My department is haulin out the trash. I made the mistake of questioning a very heavy trash bag once, that had tons of canned goods, mayonaise, mustard, etc. in it. I see nothing and I say nothing now.
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kicker16

What he said.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 03:51 PM

This, also just because it is in date, I always look at canned goods to make sure the lid if flat. I have seen canned goods that were in date with the lid starting to bow up. This is an automatic trip to the trash can.
Posted By: RATZ

Re: How long will you keep expired food - 04/06/21 03:59 PM

I wont even touch milk on the date on the gallon
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum