Texas Fishing Forum

School fishing team suspended

Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 11:29 AM

The Auburn University bass fishing team was informed that it has been suspended from competition until next year over allegations that members violated the COVID-19 guidelines, reports said.

The Auburn Plainsman reported that a letter from Campus Recreation informed the team that no members iis allowed to represent the Bass Fishing Club in any manner until 2022. AL.com reported that the team members were told that they cannot even wear their uniforms on any social media platforms.

Story
Posted By: Patriot Guard Rider

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 11:36 AM

I ain't wearing a mask when I fish (not that we know exactly what they did - they're just guilty of something).

And I refuse to stay 6 ft away from the fish (the fish do a good job of this all by themselves).
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 11:57 AM

Wonder what they supposedly did ? Not wear mask while on boat ?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 12:04 PM

Level of punishment far exceeds the infraction.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 12:12 PM

They are not saying what rules were broken and this is under appeal. They did say was because of repeated violations in July 2020 and Feb and March of this year.
Posted By: I'm The Dude

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 12:20 PM

hmmm
Posted By: SgtDag

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Allison1
They are not saying what rules were broken and this is under appeal. They did say was because of repeated violations in July 2020 and Feb and March of this year.

I’m in no way saying the punishment fits the crime (crime said very loosely) but you were warned once, then twice, and who knows how many other times, then came the third time. Very unfortunate in the end.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 12:29 PM

“My daddy said I didn’t have to wear a mask!”
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 12:29 PM

BS no real redneck gives two sh$ts about wearing a mask

I haven’t worn one yet either good for them
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 12:38 PM

Seems sketchy.

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 12:39 PM

I love how everyone has already jumped to the conclusion that it’s because someone didn’t wear a mask. roflmao

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by SgtDag
I love how everyone has already jumped to the conclusion that it’s because someone didn’t wear a mask. roflmao

“Or get a test...or stay away from people!”

There really isn’t too much involved with the “protocols”.

Whatever it is, it’s serious enough to the school that it has happened.

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 12:53 PM

Maybe they didn’t wear sunscreen..... sarcastic

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 12:54 PM

...or wipe the boat down with Lysol spray.....maybe that’s it.

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 12:59 PM

There already several YouTube videos with more details.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX

There already several YouTube videos with more details.

Care to share the details
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 01:10 PM

I refrain from judgement until we hear what it was that they did. cheers

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 01:11 PM

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 01:26 PM

Nobody is talking but from what I gather from bits and pieces, it was because they violated travel and participation protocol. To me that sounds like they may have been told they were not approved to participate in tournaments and then decided to go anyway. That would explain why the university made their entire leadership resign.
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 01:29 PM

That's crazy. When I fished for MSU we pretty much did whatever we wanted because we weren't getting a dime from the school, used our own trucks and own boats.

I would guess to say Auburn likely funds some part of the fishing team, otherwise they wouldn't have a leg to stand on telling them they cant fish for a year. Pretty harsh punishment though.

In the end though, if these guys do have their own trucks and boats, and are decent sticks, they just need to jump on a regional circuit and get with it. 2cents

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 01:33 PM

8:20 seconds in “and I don’t know all the details”

Try again

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by NoconaBrian
That's crazy. When I fished for MSU we pretty much did whatever we wanted because we weren't getting a dime from the school, used our own trucks and own boats.

I would guess to say Auburn likely funds some part of the fishing team, otherwise they wouldn't have a leg to stand on telling them they cant fish for a year. Pretty harsh punishment though.

You should see their boats....

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 01:34 PM

meanwhile Texas is open for business!!
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 01:35 PM

Sounds like someone at Auburn doesn't like fisherman.

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by horseplaydvm

or conservatives.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 01:37 PM

In the end though, if these guys do have their own trucks and boats, and are decent sticks, they just need to jump on a regional circuit and get with it. 2cents

The school does not fund the team in any way.
Posted By: Emit R Detsaw

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 01:40 PM

Nothing says they can't fish. Just that they can't fish representing Auburn Univ.

Violate school policy, face school discipline.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 01:53 PM

Steve Kennedy is very upset about this ruling....said he was ashamed to wear the school hat and logo after this nonsensical ruling..reportedly there is a meeting this week to review the ruling....here's a link to a thread on BBC with more info..(thread was closed because one of the moderators made one of his typical snide comments that resulted in namecalling)....

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1117094
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 02:41 PM

Try again

This, the video doesn't explain anything
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Emit R Detsaw
Nothing says they can't fish. Just that they can't fish representing Auburn Univ.

Can you find where they violated school policy? The team members have not even been informed as to what they violated. If you take a few minutes to research it then you will find its a pretty convoluted issue that seems to be in.part by lack of communication from the school. You probably also missed that they had permission to fish the events in question prior to doing so.

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 03:12 PM

The BBC thread said they were notified of a potential suspension last July because they didn't file a notice with the school about a tournament they were participating in.
Then another couple posts that talk about this year. One said they did file paperwork. Another said they entered the tournaments this year as unaffiliated boats.

We are getting tidbits. Nobody is coming out and laying it all out.
I can say that UTA had a bunch of requirements that the team had to overcome to participate 15 years ago. My daughter was the reason it got started.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111

Try again

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 03:46 PM

I admit, I'm at a point that I'm ready to shoot people for ridiculousness.

...------

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by lconn4
Originally Posted by tmd11111

Try again

[Linked Image]

That video kills me every time! roflmao
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry

The school does not fund the team in any way.

Not trying to be contrary, just curious how you know this. For instance, our Bass Fishing Club, I think we call it an Angling Club (it's been inactive for a few years), does like all other clubs receive funds from the Department of Campus Recreation. They aren't a sports team, they are a sports club. Now, they are also required to raise funds on their own, but I know we give clubs around $3500 to start up and for things they need.

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 05:45 PM

Does anyone have a link to anything concrete about all this.
I've heard so many things that are not in print, just passed second hand that to me its better to wait to solidify an opinion.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 06:10 PM

Does anyone have a link to anything concrete about all this.
I've heard so many things that are not in print, just passed second hand that to me its better to wait to solidify an opinion.

I have not seen a single concrete article laying out what the specifics are. Broke Covid Protocol is about all that is being said. Based on other statements in the articles it appears to be a representation issue. This means it could be something as simple as one of them wearing their jerseys while doing some activity the school did not sanction.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 07:23 PM

I'm waiting for more details before passing judgement on this. But on the surface it certainly looks idiotic and laughably hypocritical on Auburn's part. There better be some repeated, deliberate and severe violations to suspend an entire club for a year...

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Outdoordude
I'm waiting for more details before passing judgement on this. But on the surface it certainly looks idiotic and laughably hypocritical on Auburn's part. There better be some repeated, deliberate and severe violations to suspend an entire club for a year...

Well, it doesn't always have to be 'severe'. We had a club on campus that was allowing its members to 'nest' in the storage closet they had access to. They had cots, pillows, snacks, etc. They were trying to basically use our facility as their home...not allowed. Then they broke the lock to get in after we took their key and had the lock changed. All they had to do was walk about 300 feet to the front of the building and ask either the student building manager, or one of us on the professional staff, and we'd have unlocked the door. They didn't. They were banned for a semester. It happens. Kids do stupid stuff.

We've had students not get proper liability releases signed...the university is responsible if something happens, that's why those waivers are needed. Granted in the grand scheme of things they don't look like major events, but they add up. My issue with this is whether or not the university let them know what rules they violated.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW

or conservatives.

It hurts the water kittens

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by TexDawg

or conservatives.

It hurts the water kittens

water kittens... roflmao I had forgotten about that term... roflmao roflmao
Posted By: Gusick

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 08:28 PM

At least the kids will have more time to study their classes.
Posted By: Dognot

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 09:36 PM

Guess there wasn't many spectator tickets sold like Football.
Originally Posted by Indianation65
I admit, I'm at a point that I'm ready to shoot people for ridiculousness.

...------

Guess there wasn't many spectator tickets sold like in Football. bolt
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/29/21 11:01 PM

What policy?

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/30/21 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by outfishdya

What policy?

Per the original article, the school's covid travel/club/sports policy.

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/30/21 01:14 AM

What policy?

They probably weren't wearing a mask in their vehicle when they were by themselves. hammer

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/30/21 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66

What policy?

They probably weren't wearing a mask in their vehicle when they were by themselves. hammer
Or they may not have gone to get tested. Our athletes have to be tested every week, and some 2 to 3 times a week depending on their sport and the events. I'm not sure about sports clubs (ours have been inactive due to the pandemic), but I'd think the same would be required for any school authorized function.

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/30/21 02:01 AM

The BBC thread said they were notified of a potential suspension last July because they didn't file a notice with the school about a tournament they were participating in.
Then another couple posts that talk about this year. One said they did file paperwork. Another said they entered the tournaments this year as unaffiliated boats.

We are getting tidbits. Nobody is coming out and laying it all out.
I can say that UTA had a bunch of requirements that the team had to overcome to participate 15 years ago. My daughter was the reason it got started.

The same thread said they weren’t notified, so...

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/30/21 02:25 AM

More interesting Auburn Covid news from yesterday.

Auburn University conducted a series of studies in the summer and fall of 2020 to determine the capacity at which six feet of social distancing could be maintained between students in all classrooms. They didn't stick to those capacities when the time came to build schedules.

https://www.theplainsman.com/article/2021/03/au-knowingly-filled-classrooms-above-cdc-guidelines
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/30/21 03:49 AM

This is what [censored] looks like. You can take it however you would like but that is what is is.
Posted By: SheldonS

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/30/21 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Maybe they didn’t wear sunscreen..... sarcastic

They should. Many wished they had.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/30/21 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
More interesting Auburn Covid news from yesterday.

Auburn University conducted a series of studies in the summer and fall of 2020 to determine the capacity at which six feet of social distancing could be maintained between students in all classrooms. They didn't stick to those capacities when the time came to build schedules.

https://www.theplainsman.com/article/2021/03/au-knowingly-filled-classrooms-above-cdc-guidelines

Did anyone notice the picture in the above linked article?

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/31/21 12:45 AM

Auburn University Shortens Suspension

AUBURN, Ala. (WRBL) – Auburn University officials have modified their suspension of the Bass Fishing Club after the club broke COVID-19 protocols. Instead of being suspended until next year, the members can begin fishing for AU at the end of April.

Auburn University released a statement Tuesday afternoon:

“After a productive meeting, Auburn University and its Bass Fishing Club have mutually agreed to the club sports team and student organization being placed on suspension until April 22, 2021, with the understanding that the club will adhere to all university protocols in the future. The club committed multiple violations of Auburn’s travel policy and was subsequently suspended for knowingly and repeatedly violating travel regulations. These policies, which have applied to all Auburn club sports teams, were put in place to lessen the risk of harm and/or injury to the students, the public, and Auburn. Whether in or out of the classroom, Auburn will continue to uphold a high standard of excellence as an expectation for its students, faculty, and staff.”

Logan Parks, Auburn University’s Bass Fishing Club President, also released a statement.

“I am thankful that Auburn University and its administration were willing to listen to us and consider all of the facts with an open mind. We have reached an agreement, and, most importantly, the Auburn Team is excited about being able to resume representing Auburn University as we pursue another National Championship,” said Parks.

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/31/21 01:39 AM

So they got a 25 day suspension.
They will still be able to compete for the championship.
Very interesting change here

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/31/21 01:41 AM

Channeling butch?

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/31/21 02:09 AM

Good news on the amended suspension. Still would like to hear exactly what the issue was besides “violated travel policies.”

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/31/21 02:22 AM

Channeling butch?

I do what I do
He does what he does
It is not different
But it is not the same

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/31/21 05:22 AM

popcorn

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/31/21 05:36 AM

They should let these kids fish. 99.9% of outdoorsman give a chit about covid.

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/31/21 01:43 PM

Good news on the amended suspension. Still would like to hear exactly what the issue was besides “violated travel policies.”

hmmm

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/31/21 03:01 PM

hmmm

What were the policies and how were they violated? Auburn’s athletic teams traveled all year and if the fishing team is sanctioned but not funded, how can they tell a club team they can’t travel?

That’s one question I’d like more details on, unless I’m just not reading the right articles or watching the right videos to get more details like this. Seems like there was a major disconnect somewhere along the way, and it seems odd that the team was suspended or notified of the violation back in July (during the summer when school is out of session, which doesn’t make sense either). I’m glad they changed the suspension (an entire year was absolutely ridiculous to begin with) but I just can’t wrap my head around some major details that haven’t been addressed.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/31/21 03:14 PM

if they had just called them largemouth bass and not black bass.

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/31/21 03:19 PM

hmmm

What were the policies and how were they violated? Auburn’s athletic teams traveled all year and if the fishing team is sanctioned but not funded, how can they tell a club team they can’t travel?

That’s one question I’d like more details on, unless I’m just not reading the right articles or watching the right videos to get more details like this. Seems like there was a major disconnect somewhere along the way, and it seems odd that the team was suspended or notified of the violation back in July (during the summer when school is out of session, which doesn’t make sense either). I’m glad they changed the suspension (an entire year was absolutely ridiculous to begin with) but I just can’t wrap my head around some major details that haven’t been addressed.

The long and short of it was that Auburn put policies in place around travel where if they wanted to travel they had put in a formal request to be allows to and it was at the discretion of the executive vice president or the provost. They traveled once last summer without doing so, then did it again twice this year. That is probably why all the leadership of the club was removed, since it would have been their job to get the permission before the travel.

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/31/21 07:16 PM

The long and short of it was that Auburn put policies in place around travel where if they wanted to travel they had put in a formal request to be allows to and it was at the discretion of the executive vice president or the provost. They traveled once last summer without doing so, then did it again twice this year. That is probably why all the leadership of the club was removed, since it would have been their job to get the permission before the travel.

Yes, but one YouTube video I watched said the video production manager for the team sent an email disputing that. Chad Hoover, in the video above CCTX posted, said they weren’t warned the first or second time.

I’m not saying the kids didn’t completely ignore the regulations, but I could also believe it was mishandled by the school. I saw elsewhere that there was an issue with the outgoing director of club sports and the incoming director of club sports (the one who decided to cancel their season before shortening it to a month suspension) where the two directors didn’t communicate or align on something relating to the bass team and that also was partly to blame for this situation. Basically, the kids thought they were in compliance, weren’t warned after the first or second trip (potentially even the third trip, which resulted in the suspension) and thought everything had been handled.

I have a lot of questions still, is all, because it’s not fitting together, based on what others close to the bass team have said.

Re: School fishing team suspended - 03/31/21 07:29 PM

“The club committed multiple violations of Auburn’s travel policy and was subsequently suspended for knowingly and repeatedly violating travel regulations,” according to a statement from the university. “These policies, which have applied to all Auburn club sport teams, were put in place to lessen the risk of harm and/or injury to the students, the public and Auburn.”

Re: School fishing team suspended - 04/01/21 12:12 AM

Auburn: "You are suspended for a year for not shutting down"
Bass club:"guess we can't compete for another national championship "
Auburn: "There is a national championship for fishing?"
Bass Club" we won in 2016"
Auburn: "OK, you are suspended until the practice week for the championship "

Re: School fishing team suspended - 04/01/21 01:36 AM

“The club committed multiple violations of Auburn’s travel policy and was subsequently suspended for knowingly and repeatedly violating travel regulations,” according to a statement from the university. “These policies, which have applied to all Auburn club sport teams, were put in place to lessen the risk of harm and/or injury to the students, the public and Auburn.”

Yes, I saw what the school said. Like I said above, it appears to be disputed by others in the bass fishing community who have ties to the Auburn team.
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: School fishing team suspended - 04/01/21 01:57 AM

Suspended fish, that’s is all I saw. I hate trying to catch suspended fish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum