Texas Fishing Forum

Tax by the mile...

Posted By: John175☮

Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 04:27 PM

LOL!

"One area of potential agreement — at least on highway funding — is a vehicle-miles-traveled (VMT) system that would charge drivers a penny or two for each mile logged behind the wheel.

The idea has been under consideration for years, and several states, including Oregon and Utah, are currently running pilots to test the technology and consumer acceptance.
Supporters say it's a way to ensure that electric vehicle owners — who currently pay no fuel taxes — chip in their fair share for road maintenance. (29 states have imposed alternative annual fees on EVs in the meantime.)
Buttigieg is open to a VMT. "We’re obviously going to have to come to more solutions if we’re going to preserve the user-paid principle," he told lawmakers Thursday."

https://www.axios.com/tax-drivers-g...32788db-7dd3-4c1b-b884-ab5334ec5cae.html
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 04:57 PM

I did the math when I read about this a couple of weeks ago. If they do .01, I'll save money, if they do .02, I'm screwed.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 04:59 PM

Tax the tax
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by LoneStarSon
I did the math when I read about this a couple of weeks ago. If they do .01, I'll save money, if they do .02, I'm screwed.

How would you save money? This tax would be in addition to existing fuel taxes, not in lieu of them.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 05:10 PM

What about bicycles?
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by John175☮
LOL!

"One area of potential agreement — at least on highway funding — is a vehicle-miles-traveled (VMT) system that would charge drivers a penny or two for each mile logged behind the wheel.

The idea has been under consideration for years, and several states, including Oregon and Utah, are currently running pilots to test the technology and consumer acceptance.
Supporters say it's a way to ensure that electric vehicle owners — who currently pay no fuel taxes — chip in their fair share for road maintenance. (29 states have imposed alternative annual fees on EVs in the meantime.)
Buttigieg is open to a VMT. "We’re obviously going to have to come to more solutions if we’re going to preserve the user-paid principle," he told lawmakers Thursday."

https://www.axios.com/tax-drivers-g...32788db-7dd3-4c1b-b884-ab5334ec5cae.html

So let me make sure I understand correctly. The yammerheads are proposing a new tax only for electric vehicles?

I'm all for it. Let the greenies pay their share.
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 05:33 PM

EVs’ need to be be taxed for using the roads since they do not pay a fuel tax. The rest of the vehicles that do pay the fuel tax do not need another tax! Start using the fuel tax for what it is suppose to be used for “maintaining the roads” instead of for something else. This is always governments way of fixing a problem “let’s just add another tax”! We already pay fuel tax and a tax to register our vehicles that is suppose to maintain roads and bridges and look how they are.

Then we came up with Toll roads that are private roads but law enforcement is allowed to write traffic tickets on them and the companies that own them can keep you from registering your vehicles if you don’t pay the tolls. At least the toll roads are maintained.
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
What about bicycles?

If someone can post a chart, I’d like to see unicycles and tandem bike charges too.
Posted By: Gusick

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 05:35 PM

No Zeek, they are proposing replacing fuel taxes with a mileage tax.

Fuel tax revenue has dropped in recent years as vehicles have become more efficient, or even gas-free. However, the cost of maintaining roads has not gone down, so something needs to change. Either this or hike fuel taxes.
Posted By: a777pilot

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 05:40 PM

I hope that someday these greenies will be smart enough to understand that the more EVs on the road the more carbon is used and expelled into our air.

EV's use more carbon based fuels than just using a gas powered vehicle.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 05:42 PM

slinger
Posted By: fishslime

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by a777pilot
I hope that someday these greenies will be smart enough to understand that the more EVs on the road the more carbon is used and expelled into our air.

EV's use more carbon based fuels than just using a gas powered vehicle.

I would like to see the data on that.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 05:48 PM

you do realize that if they go to a mileage tax that you will have to have a black box installed or it will come with the vehicle when you buy it.

semis have had them for a long time now, unless you are a perfect driver you really don't want black boxes watching over you. they can be used for more than just taxes.
trucks have been paying mileage tax on top of other taxes including fuel tax on diesel, black boxes that link to the co. keep constant watch over what the vehicle is doing.

be careful of the foot in the door.

attach a .02c a mile tax on evs and leave us alone, use current funds for what they were collected to do and we don't need another tax.

people on fixed incomes will be screwed the worst if they have to drive much, drs. hospitals and such.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 05:58 PM

Uhhh....if your margins are that close then any increase in the price of gas would collapse you.
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 06:43 PM

It's time for flying cars.
Posted By: Flags

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Gusick
No Zeek, they are proposing replacing fuel taxes with a mileage tax.

BS. When has the fed govt ever rescinded a tax of any sort? They will add this one on top so they can double dip. You DEMs love you some tax increases. Always have, always will.

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 06:53 PM

How about stop sending tax dollars to foreign countries for goat gender studies?

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 07:05 PM

I did not see that in the article I read.... that would suck. The article I read made it seem as if it would replace the existing federal gas tax.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
you do realize that if they go to a mileage tax that you will have to have a black box installed or it will come with the vehicle when you buy it.

semis have had them for a long time now, unless you are a perfect driver you really don't want black boxes watching over you. they can be used for more than just taxes.
trucks have been paying mileage tax on top of other taxes including fuel tax on diesel, black boxes that link to the co. keep constant watch over what the vehicle is doing.

attach a .02c a mile tax on evs and leave us alone, use current funds for what they were collected to do and we don't need another tax.

people on fixed incomes will be screwed the worst if they have to drive much, drs. hospitals and such.

No need for a black box of any sort. Mileage can be recorded during annual inspection and taxed off of that. Of and if you have a late model automobile it already has a black box from the manufacturer.

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111

No need for a black box of any sort. Mileage can be recorded during annual inspection and taxed off of that. Of and if you have a late model automobile it already has a black box from the manufacturer.

Should toll road mileage be taxed? Dirt road?
Posted By: TR176

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by ReelBusy
How about stop sending tax dollars to foreign countries for goat gender studies?

And Texas A&M.
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111

Should toll road mileage be taxed? Dirt road?

Out on dirt road.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 08:59 PM

Surtax
Excise tax
Corporate tax
Sales tax
Gas tax
The pennys on your eyes tax
Embarrasing the taxman tax

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by John175☮

Uhhh....if your margins are that close then any increase in the price of gas would collapse you.

LOL. No, my margins aren't that close, but with a .01 tax I save like $20/year. If I pay .02, I will be paying another $2xx/year. That's almost $20/month. That ain't good, man. I already pay several thousands of dollars in income tax and property taxes. Geez. I get sick of paying taxes, but if they are eliminating the current gas tax with a mileage tax, I'd be okay with that...not with the black box thingamabob, but I think they already have something similar to that. Heck, the insurance companies want to put it in the car so you can get 'savings'. Heck, that would NOT save me money.... bolt

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by TR176

And Texas A&M.

Same study grant?
Posted By: Sailor1180

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/26/21 11:32 PM

In a word............NO................
The pursuit of happiness, just gonna go up...............
If you think, they'll stop at a penny...............
Buy, that ocean front property in Arizona...............
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Tax by the mile... - 03/27/21 01:45 AM

I’ll be first in line for the computer chip that kills the odometer!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum