Texas Fishing Forum

They can't be this dumb

Posted By: deucer02

They can't be this dumb - 03/23/21 06:03 PM

Watching "Life below zero", S12 E4, and the father was teaching his kids the right way to fish. He taught them to spin fish with the rod under the reel, (Upside down) and winding the reel backward or counter clockwise to retrieve the lure. I kid you not.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: They can't be this dumb - 03/23/21 06:07 PM

I've never watched the show but that if I did that would be the last one.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: They can't be this dumb - 03/23/21 06:09 PM

a lot of the time I see people doing that I will just tell them that the handle is on the wrong side.

walk off.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: They can't be this dumb - 03/23/21 06:19 PM

Open face reel goes under the rod.
Closed face goes above the reel.
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: They can't be this dumb - 03/23/21 06:27 PM

Do you think that dude teaching his kids to fish with his rod and reel upside down would buy a $350:ribeye?
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: They can't be this dumb - 03/23/21 06:30 PM

I saw the same thing --- all could think was somebody taught him that way .
Then I remembered someone from TFF saying how he got a chance to fish at Bill Dances private lake --- and on his first cast with Dance in the boat he used the reel upside down --- super funny story how he replied .
Posted By: RayBob

Re: They can't be this dumb - 03/23/21 07:06 PM

It was probably the ex-con dude that has 5 or 6 girls with the tattooed chin Eskimo lady. He seems pretty much like an idiot.
Posted By: FishDFly

Re: They can't be this dumb - 03/23/21 07:09 PM

Started watching the program and found it interesting at the beginning.

Not so now.
Posted By: Flyfisherman

Re: They can't be this dumb - 03/23/21 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Coach Hark
Do you think that dude teaching his kids to fish with his rod and reel upside down would buy a $350:ribeye?

I hope he would

Re: They can't be this dumb - 03/23/21 07:26 PM

The only one I really kinda like on that show is the Athabaskan with the young son and daughter. The old white headed guy with the skinny chick that is gardening and has the sawmill and built the elevator for his second story home is kinda kool. He has a lot of toys but is good at improvising.

These shows work too hard at creating drama

Re: They can't be this dumb - 03/23/21 07:28 PM

I can only take Sue Aikens in small doses. They finally introduced her girlfriend a few weeks ago.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: They can't be this dumb - 03/23/21 07:43 PM

Just goes to show that none of the actors, script writers, directors, producers, etc., know how to fish.. You're watching an outdoor version of Pawn Stars.
Posted By: FishDFly

Re: They can't be this dumb - 03/23/21 07:57 PM

"They finally introduced her girlfriend a few weeks ago."

I am getting too old for some things.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: They can't be this dumb - 03/23/21 08:02 PM

I took a guy out in one of our club tournaments back in the late 90's and he did the same thing with a baitcaster. When I told him that he had it backwards he told me he could not reel with his right hand.
I use both right and left handed reels so I gave him one of mine and he got along the rest of the day. The next tournament he had a couple left handed reels. It happens but you cringe when you see it.

I was glad i could help him out.
Posted By: Po Boy

Re: They can't be this dumb - 03/23/21 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by RayBob
The only one I really kinda like on that show is the Athabaskan with the young son and daughter. The old white headed guy with the skinny chick that is gardening and has the sawmill and built the elevator for his second story home is kinda kool. He has a lot of toys but is good at improvising.

That is the one that was teaching his son and daughter to fish with the spinning reel on top.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: They can't be this dumb - 03/23/21 11:30 PM

I don't know how to use a spinning reel the right or the wrong way because I'm not ghey.
Posted By: Sailor1180

Re: They can't be this dumb - 03/23/21 11:38 PM

Yea,I saw it............I'm still laughing............
The only reason he survives, is cause he gets paid..................
And I love Sue Akins hunting skills......................
She couldn't hit, a bull, in the butt, with a base fiddle..............
Posted By: Techfisher

Re: They can't be this dumb - 03/24/21 01:02 AM

Where is it written that there is only one way to fish and handle a fishing rod..?? If it works for someone who cares?? All my bait casters are left handed...I like them that way and I doubt the fish know if I use a right handed or left handed reel. Just 'cause grandpa did it that way don't mean everybody else has to do it that way.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: They can't be this dumb - 03/24/21 04:37 AM

What do you expect from people that live in temperatures below zero! nuts

Re: They can't be this dumb - 03/24/21 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Po Boy
Originally Posted by RayBob

That is the one that was teaching his son and daughter to fish with the spinning reel on top.

In their defense they learn to fish with nets, long lines, and salmon wheels. But that does really make the show kinda hokey with that kind of filming.
Posted By: IC DOAN

Re: They can't be this dumb - 03/24/21 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by rj74955
I don't know how to use a spinning reel the right or the wrong way because I'm not ghey.

BOOOM - Mic drop
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: They can't be this dumb - 03/24/21 05:58 PM

Probably someone taught him to do it that way. Does not mean he is dumb.

Did he catch fish or what?
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: They can't be this dumb - 03/24/21 05:58 PM

**I mean I never have seen the program. Maybe he is dumb. I would not call a guy dumb though because he holds his rod differently than most.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum