Texas Fishing Forum

Can I borrow your boat?

Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 02:13 AM

The "borrow your truck" thread remined me of an incident maybe 25 years ago. A club member asked if he and another club member could borrow my boat to go up Lake Palestine and fish Kickapoo. They had heard people were slaying them up there and they were fishing a non-club tournament and wanted to use my boat. Their logic was the guy who asked was a non-boater and his boating partner had about a year old Charger. His partner did not want to take his boat up there as he heard how rough it could be on a boat (stumps and all).

He figured my pretty old Tracker would not draw as much water and well...it was pretty old and all so it would be better to take my boat to fish up there.

I pretty much said "you got to be kidding". Your OK with bringing my boat up there and potentially messing it up but not you own? He though his logic was sound. Never could understand that guy.

Since then I have been up there many times in that boat and several others but the nerve of the guy.

Anybody ever want to borrow your boat?
Posted By: I'm The Dude

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 02:17 AM

I barely let people get in my boat let alone borrow it. Absolutely not. I would laugh long and hard at whoever asks because there’s no chance, zero.
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 02:17 AM

clap. roflmao
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 02:22 AM

Borrow it to fish Kickapoo ? No way,

I wouldn’t even let them borrow it if you kept the keys and they only used the trolling motor.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 02:23 AM

I've loaned mine to friends a few times. It's just a boat
Posted By: I'm The Dude

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dubee
It's just a boat

That’s what my 1st wife said too
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 02:26 AM

Ummm, nope.
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 02:30 AM

Chickenman pm’ed me last week wanting to borrow mine. I asked him when and he said when he gets his truck out of the body shop. He had loaned his neighbor his truck and the neighbor wrecked it. I’m thinking about letting him borrow it because I feel bad for him. What do y’all think?
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 02:30 AM

My son and his buddy borrowed mine one weekend when I was turkey hunting. Not sure what he hit with the prop but fortunately it just put a little pipe shaped bend in it. Worst part was I had just had Steve balance and blueprint it. He probably thought he was home free until I saw the prop.
Posted By: Chambers Creek

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 02:51 AM

I don't borrow anybody's toys n I don't loan my toys if they ask I just laugh and go about my business.
I have good longtime friends and they know if boat goes I m going with it or it stays home!
People will not take care of anyone's truck ,boat or equipment like the person paying for it or has to fix or replace it.
Just not a good practice!
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 02:51 AM

There are probably a group of about 10 I've loaned my bassboat to, and have had to borrow one over the years a number of times. If you fish tournaments much you're going to need a loaner at one time or another, guaranteed.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 02:59 AM

There are some people I would let use my boat for certain reasons, tournament and theirs ain't working etc. Its a very short list.
Posted By: Mark C

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 03:11 AM

I can count the people on one hand.
Posted By: Hook'Em 79

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 03:12 AM

Short list for sure and getting shorter.
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Allen Bass Fisher
The "borrow your truck" thread remined me of an incident maybe 25 years ago. A club member asked if he and another club member could borrow my boat to go up Lake Palestine and fish Kickapoo. They had heard people were slaying them up there and they were fishing a non-club tournament and wanted to use my boat. Their logic was the guy who asked was a non-boater and his boating partner had about a year old Charger. His partner did not want to take his boat up there as he heard how rough it could be on a boat (stumps and all).

He figured my pretty old Tracker would not draw as much water and well...it was pretty old and all so it would be better to take my boat to fish up there.

I pretty much said "you got to be kidding". Your OK with bringing my boat up there and potentially messing it up but not you own? He though his logic was sound. Never could understand that guy.

Since then I have been up there many times in that boat and several others but the nerve of the guy.

Anybody ever want to borrow your boat?

roflmao Unbelievable.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 09:07 AM

I treat it kinda like my wife....I don't loan either out.
Posted By: Sailor1180

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 12:18 PM

I ain't got, much of a boat..........
An old 70's model "Top Tenner"...............
But, I'd let anybody borrow her........................
Of course, a $3500 deposit is required................ thumb
Posted By: ACES82

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 12:36 PM

Hell NO! You ain’t taking my boat.
Posted By: SteveHummert

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI
There are some people I would let use my boat for certain reasons, tournament and theirs ain't working etc. Its a very short list.

^this^
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 12:39 PM

No way.
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 01:28 PM

I’ve loaned my boat to several friends, one is a guide in Rockport, his boat was in for some service/ warranty work and he had a charter hire him last minute, so I towed mine down there to him for the weekend. Another friend had a wounded warrior trip and something was wrong with his. Another friend only has a bass boat and wanted to run down to Baffin to slay some reds. Gave him the combination to the boat barn.
Basically, if you’re a good enough friend, know how to drive a boat (not a jon boat, I mean a real boat), and are the kind of person that will fix anything you break, you can use my boat.
Posted By: 96speed

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI

This. Like 2 people I can think of off the top of my head.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 05:28 PM

Nobody ever used my champs.
I could probably let someone take the scooter. Jet drive so they can’t chew up a prop, .35 welded aluminum they can’t dent.
But any but the most hard core look at it and would decline.

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Pat Goff
Nobody ever used my champs.
I could probably let someone take the scooter. Jet drive so they can’t chew up a prop, .35 welded aluminum they can’t dent.
But any but the most hard core look at it and would decline.

I have no need or desire to get into water as skinny as that scooter will go.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 06:34 PM

""Basically, if you’re a good enough friend, know how to drive a boat (not a jon boat, I mean a real boat), and are the kind of person that will fix anything you break, you can use my boat.""

my thoughts also....
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by elcoyote, esq.
Basically, if you’re not old you can use my boat.

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sawhorse
Originally Posted by elcoyote, esq.
Basically, if you’re not old you can use my boat.

I was trying to be nice, but it seems that you saw through it.
Posted By: el Rojo

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 07:37 PM

I had a buddy who said he wouldn't loan out his corvette or his wife. He was afraid they might throw a rod in them.
Posted By: greenen

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 07:47 PM

Yes but only 3 people I know. Also know if they jacked something up they would fix it and more as would I. Lots of folks would not.
Posted By: CKINCAID

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 11:32 PM

I've loaned boat and truck out before but only to buddies that had bass boats. Their's being in for repairs and having a Tournament I loaned it to them. Now a home depot bucket bank beater....he can borrow my electric only pond hopper.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/20/21 11:37 PM

Neither a borrower or a lender be
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/21/21 12:06 AM

peep
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/21/21 12:20 AM

Loaned mine once so a friend could take his son out by themselves for a couple of hours. Broke the TM cable and put some pits on the prop. Said he was sorry but no offer to fix. Last time I loaned it out.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/21/21 01:04 AM

Maybe to my brothers and one of my BIL's.
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Can I borrow your boat? - 03/21/21 01:15 AM

I would let Flyfisherman borrow my boat anytime he wants, for I know Flyfisherman would never want to be seen in a boat like mine.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum