Texas Fishing Forum

75 calls

Posted By: plumbcrazy

75 calls - 02/18/21 12:03 AM

And the phone still won't quit ringing every plumber in Texas is going to be super busy for the next month I do the work my wife answers the phone people are saying they're just glad somebody's answered the phone because a lot of plumbers I guess are not on the road right now had about 20 women called today crying I guess I'll be working Saturday and Sunday for a couple weeks it's really going to be bad on Saturday and Sunday when it gets above freezing everything thaws out and starts leaking
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 12:04 AM

Now is the time to charge good money.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 12:05 AM

Called ours fri for next monday, 2 renai tankless are prob afu. No hot water since fri night

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by grandbassslayer

WTH? Screw folks when they are havin problems? Called price gouging and very unethical.
bang
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 12:15 AM

We’re at 140 as of 5 pm

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong

WTH? Screw folks when they are havin problems? Called price gouging and very unethical.
bang

Nope not at all. For too long people have under appreciated plumbers, calling fly by night unlicensed guys that do shoddy work. Charging someone 135.00 an hour is not unethical.
Posted By: SgtDag

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 12:19 AM

Supply and Demand, I get it.

I hope everyone can get their needs met and the folks that are working it are safe and paid accordingly.

2cents

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 12:22 AM

That's not the way we roll at schlegelplumbing

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by plumbcrazy
That's not the way we roll at schlegelplumbing

Are you on a flat rate type system?
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 12:26 AM

Just think of the smiles your going to get when you pull up to people's houses to help them out.
I know you'll be dead tired and swamped but it'll be worth it and you be back to normal work load in no time
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 12:27 AM

bang

Nope not at all. For too long people have under appreciated plumbers, calling fly by night unlicensed guys that do shoddy work. Charging someone 135.00 an hour is not unethical.

That's what we pay under normal conditions.

My parents owned a plumbing company when I was growing up and the only unlicensed person doing work at the house is me.... and the most I do anymore is pull a p-trap to clean it on occasion, or plunge the toilet. Beyond that, I pay the plumber. I despise plumbing work

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 12:42 AM

bang

you in new yak chitty? cuz you sure act like a damn yankee.

you don't get good customers and you dam sure don't get new ones to call you a second time when you rape them on cost.

by the way, plumbers already make a dam good living for doing what they do.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 12:44 AM

I’m waiting on a callback now, I’m afraid it’s going to be awhile
Posted By: buda13

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 12:57 AM

Had a pipe bust at the office yesterday, one call and plumber was there in 15 min. Probably wouldn’t have been so lucky today. Noticed 3 houses with what looked like slab leaks in my neighborhood on the way home.

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 01:05 AM

bang

you in new yak chitty? cuz you sure act like a damn yankee.

you don't get good customers and you dam sure don't get new ones to call you a second time when you rape them on cost.

by the way, plumbers already make a dam good living for doing what they do.

135 ain't too much, as others stated thats the normal rate.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 01:17 AM

I have been thinking about you. Hope you get past me without a call from me cheers If you need a parts runner this weekend let me know
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 01:23 AM

You will earn every penny! God Bless You and stay safe! cheers

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 01:47 AM

135 a hour I ain't going to get me to your house I charge by the job not by the hour but I don't rip people off you pay me for my skill and my knowledge I've been doing this a long time just because I can do it fast don't mean I'm going to charge less bolt

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 01:52 AM

Fort Worth fire dept said they have had over 1300 emergency calls in the past 24 hours. Said fire alarms are on the bottom of their priorities. The city water supplies are being depleted cause the building owners are not going out and shutting off there systems when they break. I’m sure some of the building owners ignore the calls as if they were spam, cause they don’t recognize the incoming call, One system ran for 7 hours before the owner showed up. Creating an ice rink in the parking lot.
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 02:10 AM

Yea i have a drain leak and my plumber charges $135/hr and he used to work for BF plumbing and he quit because they told him to at least charge $200 and told him they thought some of his charges were too low. I had bf charge me almost $400 for about 30 mins work to replace some pipes under my sink so i thought that was outragous. I know plumbers aren't cheap so be careful and have them give you an estimate if they dont know an estimate find someone else unfortunately some will try and rip people off.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 02:13 AM

135 a hour I ain't going to get me to your house I charge by the job not by the hour but I don't rip people off you pay me for my skill and my knowledge I've been doing this a long time just because I can do it fast don't mean I'm going to charge less bolt

Just fixed a leak at work you gunnabe busy come the weekend brother $$$
Posted By: barndoor

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 02:19 AM

I should have been a plumber.

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by David Welcher
We’re at 140 as of 5 pm

Are u a plumber or firefighter? Not sure if the above number represent plumbing calls or service calls.
Posted By: DavidWhatley

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by barndoor

I should have been a plumber.

It's never to late, but I hear it's a chitty job grin

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by buda13
Had a pipe bust at the office yesterday, one call and plumber was there in 15 min. Probably wouldn’t have been so lucky today. Noticed 3 houses with what looked like slab leaks in my neighborhood on the way home.

Did you get some lube first?
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by buda13

Did you get some lube first?

Gotta earn those spring fishing dayz
Posted By: rj74955

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 02:29 AM

I've dug up and repaired my own lines in this kind of weather before, you couldn't pay me enough to do that for a living.
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Trickster
I have been thinking about you. Hope you get past me without a call from me cheers If you need a parts runner this weekend let me know

Thank you. I've been thinking about you too. I'll let you know if I need something.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 02:46 AM

I'm raising beer prices, people are gonna be drinking alot lol.

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 02:51 AM

Chit stinks, water runs downhill, payday is fri. I R a plumber. roflmao
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 02:51 AM

Good luck. You’re gonna be busy, but a lot of people are going to need your help. It’s going to be disastrous.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 02:58 AM

Here is the deal on plumbers, they all charge about the same the trick is finding the ones that know what they are doing. I have 4 plumbers numbers in my phone for various areas and scopes of work. I pay them real quick cause when you need them you need them.
Posted By: meP2too

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 03:21 AM

Reported my broken pipe to 3 companies on Monday only one replied.
I have removed cabinets,air tested the lines and located the leak, took out drywall to expose the pipe for the plumber.he can fix and I will reinstall drywall and cabinets hopefully soon.
Posted By: Canino

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 03:51 AM

bang

I called a plumber yesterday that has excellent reviews and has been in business in this area for many years. Highly recommended by everyone, including my sister who used them about 10 years ago for something.

They told me it would be a week, and the trip fee is $895. I confirmed it - I hadn't misheard what she said. Told them to never mind.

I called a different one with equal reviews. A few days and trip fee of $89 like normal. I got on their list.
Posted By: glenls

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Canino

bang

I called a plumber yesterday that has excellent reviews and has been in business in this area for many years. Highly recommended by everyone, including my sister who used them about 10 years ago for something.

They told me it would be a week, and the trip fee is $895. I confirmed it - I hadn't misheard what she said. Told them to never mind.

I called a different one with equal reviews. A few days and trip fee of $89 like normal. I got on their list.

$895 for a service call??? With all due respect,,,, That Plumber ought to have a pipewrench stuck up his azz.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Canino

bang

He was doing the same thing you did when you heard $895. “No thanks.”

There will be a lot of that. These guys are going to be swamped for a month or so.
Posted By: lowew79

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 05:51 AM

do I need to drip ALL my faucets or just one somewhere in the house? Also, I turned the water heater off because no service, actually very LOW pressure, when should I turn it back on? When pressure comes back?
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by lowew79
do I need to drip ALL my faucets or just one somewhere in the house? Also, I turned the water heater off because no service, actually very LOW pressure, when should I turn it back on? When pressure comes back?

Turn the water heater back on when pressure resumes, but preferable AFTER you run a bathtub fixture hot water for a while. There will likely be a lot of sediment that would clog the aerator on sink faucets, and you'll get better flow with the bath fixture. It's going to cough and spit a lot as it purges air from the tank & pipes, but this is expected and OK. When that fit subsides, it means you have a good supply of water in the tank (vs. air). At that point, it's safe to turn it on. Turning it on with more air than water in the tank can be harmful to the tank due to rapid high heat. (The water in a tank insures heat doesn't go too high too fast.)

As far as dripping water at faucets, the most important location is at the end of the plumbing run (if you have any idea how the supply is routed in your home). For any faucet, the plumbing run from the main line to the fixture is a stub, so water isn't moving in that part if the faucet isn't dripping. However, if that fixture & its' supply stub are in an above-freezing area, you shouldn't really need to drip that branch stub. Opening a cabinet door below sinks can help. Faucets with lines run in outer walls are usually more in need of a drip than those in warmer interior spaces. Moving water isn't sitting still where it can cool and freeze. More water coming from the buried pipes is warmer, so is the reason you are doing the drip. Dripping at the end of the line protects the most piping by moving water all the way to the end. Also, when dripping, do it equally for the hot AND cold lines. You need water moving in both of them.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 10:37 AM

I'm hoping and praying that I won't need you, Allen. I can definitely vouch for quality workmanship from Schlegel Plumbing. This cat knows what he is doing.
Posted By: Longeye

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 10:52 AM

Sure am glad you don't sell gas with your 200+ post azz....
Posted By: John175☮

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 11:53 AM

...Roofers gouge whenever they can and plumbers will too. If you have one you can trust use them. If you think you're being gouged then keep calling till you get one you feel is reasonable. The power is in your hands to pick and choose.

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by David Welcher
We’re at 140 as of 5 pm

Are u a plumber or firefighter? Not sure if the above number represent plumbing calls or service calls.

I work on fire suppression systems
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 12:05 PM

Needed one yesterday, had a stoppage in the waste line under the house. Was here within an hour. They ended up having to pull one of my toilets and snake from there. A plumber and helper for 2 hours and only charged $207. I tipped them $100 just because.
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 12:28 PM

So far we are okay but I have a neighbor that has hot water coming out the outside drain. This is not the pan overflow it is from the line with the pressure relief valve. They are going to try and get a plumber out ASAP but is there anything else they can do?
Posted By: Space

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 12:42 PM

bang

? If a plumber has to make emergency calls work overtime, Saturdays, and Sundays shouldn't that time be charged.

Re: 75 calls - 02/18/21 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Space

bang

? If a plumber has to make emergency calls work overtime, Saturdays, and Sundays shouldn't that time be charged.

and it is normally stated on their website or when you call they will tell you if they are ethical.

we only did one house a yr. in colorado, winter time I owned a co. that did emergency repairs on short term rentals, I had all my contractors on the list to call 24/7 and the cos. that handled the rentals for owners paid a set fee per unit to stay on the list and if not on my list they were told up front there was a service call fee on top of hrly.
all my contractors got normal rate during the day and 25% increase for anything after hrs. (9pm to 5am got the increase). this was all in a contract the cos. signed when they signed up. we would come repair them any time of yr. and the fee was only during winter, only my plumber was on 24/7 for me all yr. but he had 2 sons that worked with him and they were some of the best.
the only money I got was the monthly fee to be on the list and any work I personally did, tile, cabinets, trim etc.
this kept all of us working and kept my contractors available when I needed them on a build.

summit county colorado, A basin, keystone, breckenridge, copper mt. were all in our driving area. we stayed pretty busy in winter.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum