Texas Fishing Forum

Looking for answer???

Posted By: Fish2222

Looking for answer??? - 02/17/21 09:40 PM

My buddy noticed these on his house, he thought surely something was leaking....however, no further damage can be found. Anyone know how these might have formed. Water is off....in Tyler [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks in advance....[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Looking for answer??? - 02/17/21 09:44 PM

Pic of the roof there might be more beneficial. Like is there a valley or turn?

Could it be from the AC overflow line?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Looking for answer??? - 02/17/21 09:44 PM

Ridge vents are leaking and water is running the length of the beam? Maybe?
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Looking for answer??? - 02/17/21 09:48 PM

You can see a few little ice cycles there. Water must be running down the beam and around the corner
Posted By: Teeners boat

Re: Looking for answer??? - 02/17/21 09:52 PM

Definitely looks roof related and pics of it would help. Could be running down the rafter from a leak up higher on the roof. Is there a 2nd floor above above that area?
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Looking for answer??? - 02/17/21 09:53 PM

Roof pic needed.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Looking for answer??? - 02/17/21 10:19 PM

could be a leak that hasnt thawed or just drainage from the roof. probably wont know till sat or sun
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Looking for answer??? - 02/17/21 10:25 PM

Ice dam?
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Looking for answer??? - 02/17/21 10:35 PM

My front porch roof is leaking for the 1st time in 22 years pretty substantially. I might mention my roof and porch are R panel

I remember talking to my FIL about metal roofing in Canada and he said the biggest issue is thawing and refreezing pushes the anchors/fasteners and panels apart causing leaks. Could be that something on the roof has suffered a similar phenomena. A flashing or as mentioned above a ridge vent. I think this is why I have a leaking porch roof.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Looking for answer??? - 02/17/21 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by TexDawg
Ice dam?

Good thought and distinct possibility.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Looking for answer??? - 02/17/21 11:42 PM

May be getting behind facia into soffit if gutter is full of ice
Posted By: ccw

Re: Looking for answer??? - 02/17/21 11:47 PM

If it’s in a corner, snow could have been higher than the flashing. Once it melts below that, problem solved. I’ve had that happen.
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Looking for answer??? - 02/17/21 11:49 PM

Yeah, I was wondering if the drip cap is installed right. I had a new roof put on about 2014 and got the GAF certified blah blah blah. The GAF inspector came out and told the roofers the drip cap was not right. The gutters had been placed over the drip cap and the drip cap actually is supposed to lip over the gutters. If not any water could run off the drip cap between the gutter and the drip cap and flow down the facia. Just a guess, don't shoot the guesser.
Posted By: xse

Re: Looking for answer??? - 02/17/21 11:58 PM

its ice dams. the snow against the roof is melting. the can't get out so it backing up under the shingles. knock the front edge of the snow off the roof so the water will drain.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum