Texas Fishing Forum

Glad I wasn't planning on leaving the house

Posted By: tmd11111

Glad I wasn't planning on leaving the house - 02/15/21 04:09 PM

Fuel lines frozen in my truck. Started and ran for a minute then died. 2020 F250 diesel. Answers the question of if they use winter blend around here.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Glad I wasn't planning on leaving the house - 02/15/21 04:12 PM

try it again, it will start but it will shudder a bit and make some odd noises until it warms up some.
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Glad I wasn't planning on leaving the house - 02/15/21 04:15 PM

I'd wait, these new hpfp's don't like running dry.

Re: Glad I wasn't planning on leaving the house - 02/15/21 04:17 PM

Tried cycling the ignition a few times to prime it and no luck. Guess I'll wait it out cause with my luck ford will find a way to decline warranty.
Posted By: lanman71

Re: Glad I wasn't planning on leaving the house - 02/15/21 04:19 PM

With the rolling blackouts, the gas pumps aren't working in a lot of places so hope you filled up already.

Re: Glad I wasn't planning on leaving the house - 02/15/21 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by lanman71
With the rolling blackouts, the gas pumps aren't working in a lot of places so hope you filled up already.

Filled up this past Thursday and tank is full. Planned that part just not the frozen part. Never had this happen with my '13 Power Stroke but then again it never for to 1 frigging degree when I owned it.
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Glad I wasn't planning on leaving the house - 02/15/21 04:38 PM

15 degrees and below is no bueno for untreated fuel.
Posted By: Techfisher

Re: Glad I wasn't planning on leaving the house - 02/15/21 04:42 PM

Just went out and tried my 01 Dodge....fired up OK. I do keep the engine block heater plugged in so that helped. Filled up last week and added some anti-gel just to be safe.
Posted By: PondFish

Re: Glad I wasn't planning on leaving the house - 02/15/21 04:56 PM

Put a half tank of no ethanol in and some Seafoam yesterday. Should be good.

Re: Glad I wasn't planning on leaving the house - 02/15/21 09:29 PM

Warmed up to 18 and got the truck started. Need to get some fuel conditioner cause it’s going to get just as cold tonight
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Glad I wasn't planning on leaving the house - 02/15/21 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Warmed up to 18 and got the truck started. Need to get some fuel conditioner cause it’s going to get just as cold tonight

howes diesel treat is the best anti gel if you can find any, next is anything that says anti gel.
Posted By: Jman

Re: Glad I wasn't planning on leaving the house - 02/15/21 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong

howes diesel treat is the best anti gel if you can find any, next is anything that says anti gel.

Can't find any anti gel. Stores are all out except for Sea Foam and it is going quickly.

I took my oldie but goodie out and she sparked right up and got me to Home Depot. Lost all fuel pressure on the way home and realized my diesel probably gelled and clogged my fuel filters. Sat and contemplated my options for 15 minutes safely off the side of the road. opened the hood to see if I had a leak by chance and turned my key on - I could see fuel pressure slowly build. So I waited till it got to 65 and started it back up and got another 500 yds till the pressure dropped. Stopped and did this about 5 times till I got home. Ran to Oreillys in my wife's car and threw 3 bottles of sea foam in it and ran it around the neighborhood. Just got back from a 40 minute round trip and she runs just fine. This is an 01, 7.3.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Glad I wasn't planning on leaving the house - 02/15/21 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by lanman71

I went Kroger for a few things store was a zoo. Long lines at pumps. I thought oh well I have 3 or 4 stations on way home. All pumps off.

Re: Glad I wasn't planning on leaving the house - 02/15/21 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong

Went to WalMart just now and their closed. Tried O'Rileys right up the street and they are out of everthing Diesel fuel related. Came home and plugged in engine block heater for now, not running all over town with all the idiots on the roads.
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: Glad I wasn't planning on leaving the house - 02/16/21 12:46 AM

Diesel 911 additive. After working Colorado, North Dakota, and Wyoming for over 10 years I have a few gallons in the tool box at all times.
Posted By: Jman

Re: Glad I wasn't planning on leaving the house - 02/16/21 12:56 AM

Everything around us is shut except for a handful of drive thrus. About 30 cars in Taco Bell drive thru I passed on my way home.

I was out getting more salt for my pool, delivering a generator and firewood to friends and generally playing in my truck where I could.

Had to get past the gelling issue that shut me down on the side of the road for a spell. I did not heed Hops advice and plan ahead. I’m glad I’ve got the old school diesel with the new school gauge cluster so I can keep tabs on all my vitals. Couldn’t find the good stuff as everyone was sold out, But the SeaFoam seems to have helped for the short term.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum