Texas Fishing Forum

Pool Protection - Run the heater?

Posted By: Jpurdue

Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 02:28 PM

All three of my pumps are running in freeze protection mode. I'm wondering if I should run the pool heater given just how cold it is. I guess my main fear is power outages. Seems like if I have a little extra heat in the pool it will do better if we have extended power outages. Thoughts? Run the heater or just a waste of money?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 02:30 PM

Ran it last night
Did a little good, but pool surface still froze over.
Water is still running though.
Posted By: ahren

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 02:32 PM

If the power goes out, that little bit of heat will be gone in a hurry. Best thing to do would be trip the breakers and pull all the freeze plugs until the temps get above freezing.

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
Ran it last night
Did a little good, but pool surface still froze over.
Water is still running though.

My pool has waterfalls. Those are running, I think that is keeping the surface from freezing over.
Posted By: Jman

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 02:35 PM

If you have any extra salt or can get some load the pool up with the salt.
Posted By: Roller22

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 02:43 PM

Lost power at 345. My pool has ice on it now. Turned my breaker off so I can check for frozen pipes once it thaws out.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 02:47 PM

hot water freezes faster than cold.

leave them in freeze protection is probably the best bet.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 03:25 PM

Have I ever said having a pool sucks?
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 03:29 PM

My pool service guy says not to.
Produces acidic sweat that can damage parts.

Any ideas what to do as far as warming pump and pipes up once we get electricity?
Posted By: squib

-2 here in Lubbock. My pool has weathered multiple cold events. Just keep the pumps running and you will be fine. I also make a small tent over my pump and valve lines when it gets this cold, but I am not sure it is necessary. As long as you are moving water, you should be fine. If your power goes out, I suspect that you are in a bit of trouble.

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by squib
-2 here in Lubbock. My pool has weathered multiple cold events. Just keep the pumps running and you will be fine. I also make a small tent over my pump and valve lines when it gets this cold, but I am not sure it is necessary. As long as you are moving water, you should be fine. If your power goes out, I suspect that you are in a bit of trouble.

I had the pump running until power went out. No everything is frozen.
Posted By: Beer Money

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 04:04 PM

I covered my pump with moving blankets, put a tarp on top of that and put a heat lamp under it.
Everything is still working, but the top of pool had a layer of ice on top that I just went out and broke up with a shovel.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 04:23 PM

Down South here in League City we are not going to get as cold are you guys in the North and West part of the state. I have all three of my pumps running. I think we are about 18 degrees, once it clears up tonight it will be a little colder more than likley.

I put shipping blankets over my pumps and my filter. I am more concerned about loose power. We are good so far.

My pool heater is broke, I need to get a new controller card for it, dang they are expensive.

Swimming pools and cold weather don't exactly mix.

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 04:25 PM

Billy, swimming pools and sanity don’t mix
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jpurdue
All three of my pumps are running in freeze protection mode. I'm wondering if I should run the pool heater given just how cold it is. I guess my main fear is power outages. Seems like if I have a little extra heat in the pool it will do better if we have extended power outages. Thoughts? Run the heater or just a waste of money?

Not necessary as long as you have moving water. If pump is off and there is no movement of water, then you will have a very serious problem if pool freezes.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 04:29 PM

The fountain an pumps are in freeze protection mode. Already bought a backwash valve which seems to go whenever we get this type of cold.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VU8KCU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 04:30 PM

Not necessary as long as you have moving water. If pump is off and there is no movement of water, then you will have a very serious problem if pool freezes.
Originally Posted by Beer Money
I covered my pump with moving blankets, put a tarp on top of that and put a heat lamp under it.
Everything is still working, but the top of pool had a layer of ice on top that I just went out and broke up with a shovel.

[Linked Image]

Oh, no. Do you not have freeze guard protection? I'm afraid that's not gonna turn out well for you. I'm hoping it'll turn out OK, though...

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by TexDawg

AMEN, BRUTHA!!

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Billy Blazer 300 HPDI
Down South here in League City we are not going to get as cold are you guys in the North and West part of the state. I have all three of my pumps running. I think we are about 18 degrees, once it clears up tonight it will be a little colder more than likley.

I put shipping blankets over my pumps and my filter. I am more concerned about loose power. We are good so far.

My pool heater is broke, I need to get a new controller card for it, dang they are expensive.

Swimming pools and cold weather don't exactly mix.

Make sure you have those blankets tented pretty well. The pumps need access to air movement to keep from overheating. (From what I've read). Been debating tenting a tarp over my stuff.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke

AMEN, BRUTHA!!

He never had a problem with his pool when Ratmo took care of it.

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 04:35 PM

I wrapped as much of my pump piping in fiberglass insulation as I could. Not sure if it’s going to help. Yes, the power outages will allow the pipes to freeze, already had it happen once but it wasn’t solid and it finally broke loose
Posted By: Flyfisherman

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 04:45 PM

I wrapped as much of my pump piping in fiberglass insulation as I could. Not sure if it’s going to help. Yes, the power outages will allow the pipes to freeze, already had it happen once but it wasn’t solid and it finally broke loose

Dawg, you are the resident pool boy of the OT. We appreciate your words of encouragement for those who are working to maintain their pools. You should really become a pool salesman.

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Beer Money

[Linked Image]

Oh, no. Do you not have freeze guard protection? I'm afraid that's not gonna turn out well for you. I'm hoping it'll turn out OK, though...

It has a freeze guard. The pump hasn't shut off for days now.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 05:13 PM

I drained my pumps and filter. My pool is now invisible in my yard. I had little choice since the pump lost prime a few weeks ago. I need to repipe the pump. I hope the pool itself does not get damaged.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 05:25 PM

I just covered pump and filter with tarp then put a light under it . It ain’t froze still working fine
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 05:29 PM

The one issue with winterizing your equipment with this long cold spell is the pool water freezing so thick that the skimmers get ice and crack, only way to avoid this is drain the pool below the skimmers prior to cold weather. If your pipes are frozen turn off breakers so your frozen pool pp and what other pps you have don't try to turn on while frozen and burn up the motor.. texas pools obviously aren't built for this long term cold. Not really any good options if you cant keep the pumps running
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 05:45 PM

My pool level is getting low and obviously I can put any water in it. Pumps are moving water, I'm watching closely and expect to turn off and pull plugs soon
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI
My pool level is getting low and obviously I can put any water in it. Pumps are moving water, I'm watching closely and expect to turn off and pull plugs soon

Don't forget the filter plug, heater plugs, and booster pumps have a small plug on the bottom . If you do have an out door faucet that hasn't frozen you can though out a water hose or buy a short one

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 05:53 PM

Same here, I fell asleep on getting water in it before the cold hit

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 05:57 PM

Can't run water from an inside faucet?
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 06:07 PM

You gonna fill it with a bucket? rolleyes
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 06:12 PM

I can top-off our pool via zone 6 of our sprinkler system, which is dedicated to just pump water into the pool.
Just go into garage and manually select zone 6 to run as long as needed, afterwards, sprinkler timer then shuts off.
How is water replenished into your pool during the summer months?....garden hose?
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 06:15 PM

I could hook hose to water heater. But I'm not
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 06:17 PM

There are some faucet you can take strainer off and hook hose to. Not sure I want to leave door open to run hose to pool. House heater is struggling enough with door closed.

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 06:24 PM

What about shoveling snow in the pool? That’s what my plan is in case level gets to close. It’ll bring up the level pretty quick.

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by fishmagnet
I can top-off our pool via zone 6 of our sprinkler system, which is dedicated to just pump water into the pool.
Just go into garage and manually select zone 6 to run as long as needed, afterwards, sprinkler timer then shuts off.
How is water replenished into your pool during the summer months?....garden hose?

Same way in the summer, but I have the sprinkler lines shut off and drained. Don't you?

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 06:29 PM

What about shoveling snow in the pool? That’s what my plan is in case level gets to close. It’ll bring up the level pretty quick.

I had considered that as well

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Stump jumper

There are some faucet you can take strainer off and hook hose to. Not sure I want to leave door open to run hose to pool. House heater is struggling enough with door closed.

The hose would freeze quickly as soon as it is outside anyway

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 06:30 PM

Hook up a hose to the faucet for your washing machine. Crack a window to run the hose through and roll up a towel to cover up the open part of the window.

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 06:35 PM

If your pool hasn't frozen solid yet, fill some bottles with a salt water mixture and float them, put small ones in the skimmers as well. The lower freeze point of the salt water keeps the water around the bottles liquid. The bouncing around helps to keep the ice broken up as well
Posted By: Mac Town Fuzz

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 07:26 PM

My water level was good and my pumps were running, but the exposed pipes froze and busted. We’re on a hill and have some brutal wind, so I’m assuming that was the culprit. I killed the power and removed all the drain plugs. I’ll just have to wait till Saturday when things start to defrost to assess the damage.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: rj74955

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 07:33 PM

I would just pee on it, you know you all pee in it anyway.

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 07:43 PM

Mac Town... I wonder how that's possible with water moving that fast inside those pumps. Did your power go out at any point?

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 07:53 PM

I have mine running on high speed recirculate. Still working this morning bur lost a bird. [Linked Image]
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 08:00 PM

[quote=Jpurdue]Mac Town... I wonder how that's possible with water moving that fast inside those pumps. Did your power go out at any point?[/quote
When that cleaner pump's not running, I don't think any water is moving thru it or those pipes.
hmmm

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/15/21 08:21 PM

Some water moves through the cleaner pump when the filter pump runs. but obviously not enough in this case.
Posted By: Mac Town Fuzz

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/16/21 01:41 AM

Mac Town... I wonder how that's possible with water moving that fast inside those pumps. Did your power go out at any point?

My wife said we lost power for a bit this morning before I woke up. I’m assuming that’s when it occurred. When I pulled the drain plugs water came out of all the pumps, so I hope that means they are not damaged. I guess only time will tell the extent of the damage.

Re: Pool Protection - Run the heater? - 02/16/21 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Roller22
Lost power at 345. My pool has ice on it now. Turned my breaker off so I can check for frozen pipes once it thaws out.

Even moving water freezes in a hurry in a heavy snow. I was trout fishing in WV in late winter in the snow. Big flakes. I kept feeling strikes and could not figure how I was missing so many fish. Then I looked in the river and it was freezing from bottom up with ice chunks flowing by.
© 2022 Texas Fishing Forum