Texas Fishing Forum

Whiskey Prices

Posted By: Samsonsworld

Whiskey Prices - 02/03/21 07:21 PM

For those of you who have been around the block a few times, can you explain to me how the world of spirits works? I mean, it wasn't long ago I was tripping over Buffalo Trace bottles in the liquor store and now you can't find one. A fifth of Weller Special Reserve was $60 the first time I passed it by. Now it's $90!!! I just paid over $40 for a bottle of Redemption High Rye and discovered the MSRP is $25 (it wasn't worth $25 btw).

I get supply vs demand but do prices just fluctuate as a new batch come out? I am assuming they don't release daily? What the heck drives availability and cost?
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Samsonsworld
For those of you who have been around the block a few times, can you explain to me how the world of spirits works? I mean, it wasn't long ago I was tripping over Buffalo Trace bottles in the liquor store and now you can't find one. A fifth of Weller Special Reserve was $60 the first time I passed it by. Now it's $90!!! I just paid over $40 for a bottle of Redemption High Rye and discovered the MSRP is $25 (it wasn't worth $25 btw).

I get supply vs demand but do prices just fluctuate as a new batch come out? I am assuming they don't release daily? What the heck drives availability and cost?

For drinking questions we have lots of staff experts...pricing questions go to WAWI.
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 07:25 PM

Sazerac who owns Buffalo Trace Distillery (which is home to Wellers, Eagle Rare, Blanton's, Pappy's and more) tried to get a rise in prices a few years back by cutting their production. They hoped that others would follow them and cut production, but no one did. Thus their supply now has dried up pretty much, while others are easy to find. In a year or two they should be back to normal.
Posted By: bigrebar

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 07:26 PM

I've got nothing. I only drink the finest Rich and Rare Reserve. It's cheap everywhere!!
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 07:31 PM

Covid sales have driven everything up. BT is now considered allocated and the shipments are slow. Everyone is on the OMG band wagon when your talking about Buffalo Trace products, and the secondary market is having a hay day, just like ammo. I picked up a bottle of Blanton's Monday, haven't seen a bottle of BT, Eagle Rare or EH this year. Its time for another bourbon run bang
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 07:37 PM

Thought was this about airline tickets...

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 07:37 PM

Seriously

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by BCBassCat
Seriously

You’re joking.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 07:42 PM

Are you serious?

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sawhorse

Are you serious?

Thought this was about airline tickets...

Got it right finally. I think...
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 07:45 PM

Bourbon is very hot right now, certain ones are almost impossible to get. Lots of the sought after stuff gets allotted. The distributor only gets so much, the liquor stores only get so much, the ones that sell to bars use it to keep certain accounts happy. What does hit the shelves of these rare ones get bought almost immediately if they are priced at msrp. The msrp really hasnt changed much in the last 5 years. Some stores, especially those that dont sell to bars do 2 things. They either double or triple the price or they hold for their best regular customers in back. Basically it's a pay to play game. I'm having a hard time getting anything right now due to specs buying goody goody.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 07:47 PM

Btw, don’t fly spirit

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 07:49 PM

Are you serious?

Sorry. Changed the title.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 07:53 PM

Me too. I was going to warn you guys and refer you to the long line of angry folks at the airport for proof. (I could have used a few different adjectives there)

I don't call hard liquor a spirit. It might be right but just seems weird.

Now I refer you back to the folks who've been around the block....

bolt

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 07:54 PM

Are you serious?

This development puts our very own BCBassCat in quite the pickle.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 07:55 PM

Whiskey prices! Much better.

Fewer airline comments.

Please carry on.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 07:55 PM

Are you serious?

It's all good Sam, is it ok if I call you that?

I was being serious because last night my wife and I were attempting to schedule a flight to Vegas because Ratz and rj snubbed us and we want to go to Vegas too. So she was looking up flights and said something about spirit airlines being the cheapest. I told her to forget about using spirit, as I've heard horror stories...

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 07:58 PM

[quote=BCBassCat]Thought was this about airline tickets...

Are you serious?

I was being serious because last night my wife and I were attempting to schedule a flight to Vegas because Ratz and rj snubbed us and we want to go to Vegas too. So she was looking up flights and said something about spirit airlines being the cheapest. I told her to forget about using spirit, as I've heard horror stories...[/quote]

Beats what my wife usually calls me.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by RATZ

Sazerac who owns Buffalo Trace Distillery (which is home to Wellers, Eagle Rare, Blanton's, Pappy's and more) tried to get a rise in prices a few years back by cutting their production. They hoped that others would follow them and cut production, but no one did. Thus their supply now has dried up pretty much, while others are easy to find. In a year or two they should be back to normal.

I wouldn't expect the supply to get better in near future. I'm now on a waiting list to buy a barrell of one of Sazeracs more sought after brands. There is no discount to do this, it's expensive as hell and I'm just doing it to guarantee a supply for my business. I suspect it may take almost a year to get it.
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 08:01 PM

I have been drinking more bourbon lately. Found a bottle of Buffalo Trace the other week and it wasn't all that great. You can pick up Elijah Craig Small Batch, 1792 Full Proof, Wild Turkey Rare Breed. All great and easy to find bourbons that are better than Buffalo Trace. I've got a bottle of the Elijah Craig Small Batch about halfway down that has been great.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 08:03 PM

I was being serious because last night my wife and I were attempting to schedule a flight to Vegas because Ratz and rj snubbed us and we want to go to Vegas too. So she was looking up flights and said something about spirit airlines being the cheapest. I told her to forget about using spirit, as I've heard horror stories...

Very courteous intro line. thumb
Posted By: RickS.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 08:05 PM

One good thing about Ohio. They have restrictions on whiskey prices. I can get a bottle of Wellers Antique 107 for $50
Wellers green label for $30
Posted By: 9094

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 08:53 PM

60 bucks for Weller Reserve? I just bought a 1.75 bottle for 49.00 and that is as high as I've ever paid.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by cocodrie
I have been drinking more bourbon lately. Found a bottle of Buffalo Trace the other week and it wasn't all that great. You can pick up Elijah Craig Small Batch, 1792 Full Proof, Wild Turkey Rare Breed. All great and easy to find bourbons that are better than Buffalo Trace. I've got a bottle of the Elijah Craig Small Batch about halfway down that has been great.

EC is on my short list. Been on Rye's lately. Still wanting to try some Rittenhouse. Bulleit Rye is really good, btw, mixed or neat.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 08:55 PM

Switch to quality rum and tequila. There are still a few good values in whisk(e)y but not many.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
Switch to quality rum and tequila. There are still a few good values in whisk(e)y but not many.

Some tequila is allotted now too. 1942 has gotten harder to get. I order 4 a week and get 1
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 09:16 PM

I went to Irish whiskey a few years back and have been happier than I was trying to keep up with the explosion in bourbon.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI
Originally Posted by CCTX

Some tequila is allotted now too. 1942 has gotten harder to get. I order 4 a week and get 1

Not what I want to hear, WAWI. I guess we better get used to it, at least for a while. Thankfully, the bottom shelf is still full.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 09:31 PM

Has anybody mentioned fireball yet? It's pretty cheap and tastes like cinnamon.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 09:35 PM

Its flowing like water lol

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by HasBen
I went to Irish whiskey a few years back and have been happier than I was trying to keep up with the explosion in bourbon.

Alot better value there. Jameson 18 when you want to splurge a bit
Posted By: Ted Dyer

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 11:20 PM

It's crazy and difficult to understand. There are distillers and there are distributors and there are retailers. All different and unique entities. It's not as simple as supply and demand although that is an influencer.
I have a friend in Michigan that buys Eagle Rare at the grocery store for $32. I can rarely find it here and when I do the price is something $60. I have another friend in Florida that bought a bottle of Dickel 13 yr BiB for $90.I got the same thing a few months ago for $38 at Specs.

There are a lot of really good bourbons that aren't hard to find, so I rarely pay anything over list. Elijah Craig Small batch is nice, Markers 46 is really good, Knob Creek is always on the shelf, etc.
Posted By: Beer Money

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 11:24 PM

Drink beer. We make plenty.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 11:29 PM

What I dont understand about the the bussines model of certain distillers is they know how much the product is getting marked up down the supply chain yet they hold their prices. Eagle Rare costs me about 27 bucks when I get it, blantons is 49, the weller cypb is 42. Cypb sells online for 600 to 900 at times. Pappy is even worse. You would think they would push their prices up.
Posted By: RickS.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 11:40 PM

I can't do all those flavored whiskeys. With the exception of American Honey. I like the taste of whiskey and bourbon by itself.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/03/21 11:41 PM

What I dont understand about the the bussines model of certain distillers is they know how much the product is getting marked up down the supply chain yet they hold their prices. Eagle Rare costs me about 27 bucks when I get it, blantons is 49, the weller cypb is 42. Cypb sells online for 600 to 900 at times. Pappy is even worse. You would think they would push their prices up.

I guess they can't build a pricing/GTM plan based of a few unicorns. Look at the shelves in stores, there are a bunch of bourbons. I guess they need to distributors to buy all their product.
Posted By: SkeeterHunter

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 01:15 AM

Bourbon is very hot right now, certain ones are almost impossible to get. Lots of the sought after stuff gets allotted. The distributor only gets so much, the liquor stores only get so much, the ones that sell to bars use it to keep certain accounts happy. What does hit the shelves of these rare ones get bought almost immediately if they are priced at msrp. The msrp really hasnt changed much in the last 5 years. Some stores, especially those that dont sell to bars do 2 things. They either double or triple the price or they hold for their best regular customers in back. Basically it's a pay to play game. I'm having a hard time getting anything right now due to specs buying goody goody.

Valid point! Even when you doo get ahold of allocated bottles at spec's or total wine, they're still at the normal msrp. The smaller places and secondary prices are getting stupid. Although it is kinda nice stocking up at msrp and then secondary them. Just last week i was able to swap a Blanton's for a Wild Turkey Master's Keep. flag

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 01:25 AM

We treated some friends to dinner at the Oar House is Rockwall last week. An after dinner drink of Blantons, neat, was $25 per. Now do that math.

I bet they could keep some on the shelf at $100 a bottle but does that take it off of the most coveted of bourbons list?

Maybe they like the attention more than the increase in profits?

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by JacksonBean

We treated some friends to dinner at the Oar House is Rockwall last week. An after dinner drink of Blantons, neat, was $25 per. Now do that math.

I bet they could keep some on the shelf at $100 a bottle but does that take it off of the most coveted of bourbons list?

Wait, what?

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Beer Money
Drink beer. We make plenty.

Oh, I drink my share. wink
Posted By: Drodge

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 02:00 AM

It all depends on where you’re shopping. Certain momnpop stores price gouge. Big box stores have the best pricing. Some momnpops just mark up a little bit more just because they have to run higher margins than the big box stores but some mark their stuff up as high or higher than the secondary market flippers do.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 02:01 AM

Lucky if my friends spend $25 total with tip. frown
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by TreeBass
Covid sales have driven everything up. BT is now considered allocated and the shipments are slow. Everyone is on the OMG band wagon when your talking about Buffalo Trace products, and the secondary market is having a hay day, just like ammo. I picked up a bottle of Blanton's Monday, haven't seen a bottle of BT, Eagle Rare or EH this year. Its time for another bourbon run bang

I agree there are tons of people that drank tons of hooch last year. popcorn2
Posted By: ahren

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 03:19 AM

There is a lot that goes into this. Some hype drives up prices, but also players got surprised by the uptick in demand. Take Eagle Rare for example. It is a 10 year aged bourbon. If demand skyrockets in 2014, they can't just up production in 15.

Now since that one has become allocated, you have the question as to whether they will ever up production or take advantage....

As a bourbon guy, and a blue collar guy this kind of thing is tough. ER was $29 and there was usually6 or 8 on the shelf before it was popular. Now I have to hunt for good bourbon at a decent price.

That said, I just splurged on a crazy expensivebottle that I am scared to open after attending a tasting with the creator. (Bardstown discovery 3)

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 12:59 PM

I may have to move my price up, I charge 17 for blantons and feel dirty doing that..... if you charge less they will drink it in a night and you will have none. I'm down to 2.5 bottles of it and its pissing me off. I have even restricted my consumption to other brands trying to hang on to my stash. I generally drink a bottle of blantons every 2 weeks just cause......
bang

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 01:04 PM

It appears every bourbon I find that I enjoy, ends up being a unicorn in short time. I'm all about supporting the small guys, always have been, but its hard to pay 50% over msrp when the box stores sell it for less. I need to take a vaca and roll across bourbon country for a couple of weeks and stock up

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 01:21 PM

I'm afraid I will end up drinking some swill like makers or tx....

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 01:29 PM

I kind of like Makers. I agree with TX though. It isn't very good any way you slice it. All I taste is vanilla neat and it tastes funky and bitter when mixed...but it is a good looking bottle.
Posted By: Roller22

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 01:39 PM

I always end up going back where it all started with me. EW. Just bought a bottle of white label and will be buying another. It's something I can still afford.
Posted By: Patriot7Six

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 01:44 PM

I was reading an article recently that talked about how millennials are driving up the demand for wine and spirits while beer sales are trending down. Kinda interesting...
Posted By: BassFever

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 01:45 PM

I just bought a bottle of Ballotin Chocolate Whiskey.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Patriot7Six
I was reading an article recently that talked about how millennials are driving up the demand for wine and spirits while beer sales are trending down. Kinda interesting...

Go figure. I thought they just smoked dope.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by BassFever
I just bought a bottle of Ballotin Chocolate Whiskey.

You sip or mix? Pinky in or out?

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 02:31 PM

scared don't do it!
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 03:59 PM

Evan Williams is the best buy on the shelf.
Keep it simple and save your money, life ain't as long as you think.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

I have a bottle of EW BIB. And I agree, good stuff! But I have room for 6-7 bottles at a time, depending on the size/shape of the bottles. Might as well stay stocked, right? Ezra Brooks, Rebel Yell, Old Overholt are all cheap and will get sampled.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 04:27 PM

I raised blantons to 18, I wanted to make it 20 but my conscience wont allow it yet.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 04:29 PM

I raised blantons to 18, I wanted to make it 20 but my conscience wont allow it yet.

$19.99! wink

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Drodge
It all depends on where you’re shopping. Certain momnpop stores price gouge.

No kidding, I stopped at some hole in the wall place, this lady pulled out a bottle of Angel's Envy from behind the counter, rang it up at $78! That [censored] is $49.99 all day here in San Antonio. Bought it anyways, nothing else was worth a dang.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 04:40 PM

No kidding, I stopped at some hole in the wall place, this lady pulled out a bottle of Angel's Envy from behind the counter, rang it up at $78! That [censored] is $49.99 all day here in San Antonio. Bought it anyways, nothing else was worth a dang.

The small liquor stores are under allotment from distributors. They rarely get it either.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 04:58 PM

The small liquor stores are under allotment from distributors. They rarely get it either.

Yeah, she looked around, over her shoulder, and quietly said, "well... we do have a bottle of this..." dang, I thought she was going to pull out a bottle of pappy or something from the way she was acting.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 05:13 PM

A strategy that has worked for me is to find a large liquor store where there is a low population density of yuppies and millennials. Also, liquor stores that are larger than you would expect for the size of the town.
For example, there's one on the edge of Kilgore sorta close to where 1shot lives that has a nice selection at really good prices.
Posted By: Roller22

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

I have a bottle of EW BIB. And I agree, good stuff! But I have room for 6-7 bottles at a time, depending on the size/shape of the bottles. Might as well stay stocked, right? Ezra Brooks, Rebel Yell, Old Overholt are all cheap and will get sampled.

Just bought another EW BiB and also bought the EW Honey. I almost pulled the trigger on the EW Fire
Posted By: COFF

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 07:55 PM

I just walked out of Total Wine with a big bottle of Weller Special Reserve. 1.75L for $39.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 09:17 PM

I am currently having a makers and it's hard to even drink. I feel like I should buy a mobil home and move into it.......

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 09:26 PM

You got your shopping cart, cardboard, and sharpie ready?
Posted By: Gusick

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 09:40 PM

Cheap wine is still a good bargain.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 09:45 PM

I am currently having a makers and it's hard to even drink. I feel like I should buy a mobil home and move into it.......

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 09:51 PM

WAWI, have you ever had Peju cabernet? It's a Napa cab. This guy who has more money than likely anyone I'll ever know said it's his go-to everyday cab. He even took a bottle of it out to the deer blind, so I don't know exactly what that means. It's about $50 a bottle. Didn't try any, but may splurge one day.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 10:04 PM

Makers is mixer. Nothing better with cola. Not good neat.

I'm choking down a tx blended, if it makes you feel any better.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 10:05 PM

Now I'm have tx and diet coke. You never hear of blantons and diet coke. You hear of crown, tx, makers and diet etc because they cant be consumed without something to cover how bad they are.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/04/21 10:10 PM

The best ones neat aren't the best ones mixed and vice versa based on my limited experience. Ps, TX is nasty mixed.

Don't use diet coke. Coke Zero is ok. 3:1 ratio with ice. Let it sit 5 minutes to mellow. Makers is awesome. You're welcome!

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/05/21 12:30 AM

Now I'm have tx and diet coke. You never hear of blantons and diet coke. You hear of crown, tx, makers and diet etc because they cant be consumed without something to cover how bad they are.

mixing blanton with anything other than a small amount of ice should be illegal.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/05/21 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by RATZ

mixing blanton with anything other than a small amount of ice should be illegal.

Lose the ice also. NEAT

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/05/21 01:49 AM

I’d love some Blantons right about now.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/05/21 02:18 AM

As I stand here and enjoy my Stella Artois, I fully understand there is a place for Natty Light.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/05/21 02:23 AM

I’d love some Blantons right about now.

You behaved the last time you had it. That was a test.
Posted By: Drodge

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/05/21 02:36 AM

I only have one Blantons left frown
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/05/21 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by bigrebar
I've got nothing. I only drink the finest Rich and Rare Reserve. It's cheap everywhere!!

Yep, since I retired I went from JD and 9 or 12 year CC to regular CC. I tried Rich and Rare once. Not bad for a cheap whiskey.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/05/21 10:54 PM

Cracked open a 1792 tonight. Tastes good but a pretty hot finish. Haven't tried mixed yet.

Woodford still in 1st place, neat.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/05/21 11:18 PM

Just go sit in your neighbor’s across the street.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/05/21 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

[Linked Image]

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/05/21 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

I looking at the pos right now, he makes me sick

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/05/21 11:28 PM

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/05/21 11:28 PM

it's got yodelin

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/05/21 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong

Going to add that to my Fav Willie song list. grin

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/05/21 11:34 PM

woot thumb

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/05/21 11:58 PM

Probably should've got some EC single barrel, but we'll give it hell either way.

[Linked Image]

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/05/21 11:59 PM

Head to head. EW BIB > 1792. Much greater! Surprise, surprise!

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/06/21 12:02 AM

Probably should've got some EC single barrel, but we'll give it hell either way.

]

Haven't even SEEN BT in 3-4 weeks.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/06/21 01:21 AM

Started reading these pages and had to check. One bottle of Eagle Rare still wanting to be opened, one of Buffalo Trace that has been visited twice, and a new bottle of Rowans Creek that was looking good. Rowans and I will check back here later.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/06/21 02:46 AM

Tryin’ Early Times BIB tonight...

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/06/21 02:51 AM

I may have a willet in a few.

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/06/21 02:53 AM

ER here tonight
Posted By: SkeeterHunter

Re: Spirit Prices - 02/06/21 02:59 AM

[Linked Image]

Old reliable this turn.
Just happened to stumble onto a couple bottles of Blantons, ER and EC barrel proof today though ay SRP from specs
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum