Texas Fishing Forum

ON THIS DAY

Posted By: Space

ON THIS DAY - 01/28/21 01:54 PM

35 years ago, the space shuttle Challenger exploded 73 seconds after liftoff from Cape Canaveral, killing all seven crew members. I remember the exact spot I was when I heard about it. I was turning left on Westheimer Rd. on to W Houston Center Blvd. in Houston
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: ON THIS DAY - 01/28/21 01:58 PM

I was watching it at my middle school.
Posted By: gjarman

Re: ON THIS DAY - 01/28/21 02:00 PM

bassfishinglawyer and I were fishing a tournament on Lake Lewisville that day. That morning we heard what sounded like something small traveling at high-speed hitting the water and making that "thwerp" sound. Didn't know what it was, but as we were leaving the lake, I believe it was the gate-attendant that told us what had happened. Pretty sure that sound we heard was a small piece of debris from the shuttle.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: ON THIS DAY - 01/28/21 02:04 PM

I was fishing White Rock Creek for early run white bass with my son. Heard a muffled boom coming from somewhere in the far distance...
Posted By: Trickster

Re: ON THIS DAY - 01/28/21 02:10 PM

Watching on TV, went outside to try and see it.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: ON THIS DAY - 01/28/21 02:11 PM

angel2
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: ON THIS DAY - 01/28/21 02:16 PM

We had just got back from the chow hall on base. Walked in to our office just after the explosion. we were speachless.
Posted By: PondFish

Re: ON THIS DAY - 01/28/21 02:28 PM

I think some of you are mixing up incidents.
On this date in 1986 (35 years ago) Challenger exploded over the Atlantic Ocean. I was in class at UT Dallas.
On Feb 1, 2003 (18 years ago) Columbia disentegrated over North and East Texas. It was a Sat and I was getting ready to go run some errands.)

Both were horrible accidents.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: ON THIS DAY - 01/28/21 02:30 PM

I was sitting on my couch in my apartment in Atlanta eating lunch getting ready to go to work. Even though I was 24 yo it was very sobering
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: ON THIS DAY - 01/28/21 04:19 PM

We had just gotten back from our music class...I was in fifth grade. We watched the news on the tv on a cart thing another teacher wheeled into our room....

Re: ON THIS DAY - 01/28/21 04:20 PM

You're right. I confused them.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: ON THIS DAY - 01/28/21 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by JJ4MEL
I was watching it at my middle school.

As was I. The teacher panicked trying to turn it off as we were all staring like WTH just happened.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: ON THIS DAY - 01/28/21 04:22 PM

I watched it happen live, on the front lawn of our high school in Palm Beach Fl.
Posted By: Kentucky

Re: ON THIS DAY - 01/28/21 04:33 PM

my senior year in hs. I was in our social studies room watching it in class
Posted By: ssanderson

Re: ON THIS DAY - 01/28/21 05:22 PM

wow i am old
Posted By: CCTX

Re: ON THIS DAY - 01/28/21 05:41 PM

flag angel2
Posted By: RATZ

Re: ON THIS DAY - 01/28/21 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by gjarman
bassfishinglawyer and I were fishing a tournament on Lake Lewisville that day. That morning we heard what sounded like something small traveling at high-speed hitting the water and making that "thwerp" sound. Didn't know what it was, but as we were leaving the lake, I believe it was the gate-attendant that told us what had happened. Pretty sure that sound we heard was a small piece of debris from the shuttle.

That was Columbia
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: ON THIS DAY - 01/28/21 06:24 PM

I watched it explode on TV.....Sad day for sure.
Posted By: Mark C

Re: ON THIS DAY - 01/28/21 06:30 PM

I was working in Indianapolis. Went back to the hotel room at lunch to watch the news after I heard about it.

Re: ON THIS DAY - 01/28/21 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by RATZ
Originally Posted by gjarman

That was Columbia

Yep, got them confused.
Posted By: COFF

Re: ON THIS DAY - 01/28/21 07:37 PM

Our whole elementary school was packed into the gymatorium watching it live.
Posted By: Beak47

Re: ON THIS DAY - 01/28/21 09:44 PM

We lived in Bedford when Columbia exploded almost overhead. . We were just crawling out of bed when 2 Sonic Booms slammed our garage doors. Soon after we realized where they came from! Both were sad days for our Country!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: ON THIS DAY - 01/28/21 09:51 PM

I was working an off duty security job for a client. It was a T.V. news station in San Antonio. I remember the station sent two reporters, one producer, and two satellite trucks out to cover the accident. I was by the back station gate watching them leave. A very sad day indeed. angel2
Posted By: thrashfish

Re: ON THIS DAY - 01/28/21 10:05 PM

I was on a nuclear plant construction site in Georgia when we heard about Challenger exploding after the launch. Very quiet day on site after it happened.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum