Texas Fishing Forum

olive oil

Posted By: J.P. Greeson

olive oil - 01/25/21 06:50 PM

Question for our chefs. What olive oil do you use for cooking? I use the Pompeian Extra Virgin. Not sure how I landed on that brand, but I've stuck with it. Wondering how big a difference there is when you use something a little higher end.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: a777pilot

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 06:55 PM

I use the Kroger brand extra virgin olive oil. Works great and is cheaper. Been using it for years.
Posted By: stuntmandave

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 06:59 PM

I use Pompeian too
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 07:00 PM

I use the same one. Quit creeping in my cupboards
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 07:01 PM

Used that before I found the Sam's Club brand. That's a good entry level brand that is readily available at most stores.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 07:04 PM

https://texasoliveranch.com/
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 07:04 PM

TWO STEP OLIVE OIL PURITY TEST--

Pour 2-4 tbsp of olive oil into a clean glass jar. Seal the jar.
Put the jar in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
If the oil solidifies, it’s monounsaturated and IS olive oil.
If the oil remains a liquid, it is polyunsaturated and IS NOT olive oil.

Addendum: I'd have to look at the olive oil I have at home. I don't remember which brands I've purchased over the years.

...------
Posted By: Gusick

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 07:05 PM

I go back and forth between that and the store brand, and can't tell a difference. I think olive oil is olive oil.
Posted By: lanman71

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 07:06 PM

Lambda ultra-premium extra virgin is what we like.
Posted By: lanman71

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Gusick
I go back and forth between that and the store brand, and can't tell a difference. I think olive oil is olive oil.

For most brands it is, bump it up a notch and you can a tell a difference.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 07:07 PM

I believe regular is better for cooking.
Posted By: Resh

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 07:08 PM

When using olive oil as just pan oil that stuff will do.

When using it as a dipper for like French bread, or when making scratch pasta, it makes a difference to use better oil. I’m not nearly as into it as some are, but you can taste olive oil like wine. The plastic bottle grocery store stuff is like skim milk to a full fat full flavor milk you would get at a dairy, that’s the best comparison I can think of
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 07:10 PM

Whatever is on sale at sams, for cooking I don’t think it matters much
Posted By: a777pilot

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 07:12 PM

https://www.wellandgood.com/how-to-buy-good-quality-olive-oil/
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 07:19 PM

We use that one for just about everything. Every now and then I'll get one of the "fancy-er" bottles, I think right now we've got some Texas brand olive oil, it's a tall skinny bottle, barely fits on the shelf.

The only time we dip bread is when we get Johnny Carino's to-go, and it comes with it. cheers
Posted By: Brian Spagnola

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 07:46 PM

Cooking olive oil, all about the same to me. Finishing olive oil can make a big difference to have something nice. I like to make infused olive oils. Rosemary and ichimi pepper being my favorite.
Posted By: soggybottom

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 08:10 PM

you dont have to spend a lot more. The brand they have at HEB yellow label with a horse on it is the one I usually buy. It has several certifications from growers and purity certifications.
Most olive oils are garbage just like most honey is just glucose. Most are 50% vegetable oil.
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 08:16 PM

Is this ok? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 08:18 PM

Us OT High Rollers use Lambda

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Premium-Corporate-Koroneiki-Renowned-Unrivalled/dp/B07X3N6C8Q
Posted By: WAWI

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 08:18 PM

A bunch of olive oil is fake
Posted By: senko9S

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 08:24 PM

out of lodi

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bigrebar

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by soggybottom
you dont have to spend a lot more. The brand they have at HEB yellow label with a horse on it is the one I usually buy. It has several certifications from growers and purity certifications.
Most olive oils are garbage just like most honey is just glucose. Most are 50% vegetable oil.

Can you elaborate on your Honey statement?
Posted By: fishslime

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Indianation65

Addendum: I'd have to look at the olive oil I have at home. I don't remember which brands I've purchased over the years.

...------

Just curious as to why polyunsaturated is not olive oil.
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 08:31 PM

never understood "extra" virgin. Is this ugly olives picked by even uglier women?
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 08:36 PM

How much olive oil does Snoop Dog use to cook with?

A Drizzle

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by UGLYSHCTICK
never understood "extra" virgin. Is this ugly olives picked by even uglier women?

Extra-virgin olive oil is made from pure, cold-pressed olives, whereas regular olive oil is a blend, including both cold-pressed and processed oils. The resulting oil has a forest-green color; a grassy, peppery flavor; and a fruity aroma. This method, while effective, takes a substantial amount of time.

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/n...takes%20a%20substantial%20amount%20time.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 09:08 PM

This is not "Extra Virgin"

[Linked Image]
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by bigrebar
Originally Posted by soggybottom

Can you elaborate on your Honey statement?

Only buy local honey. Here's the scoop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6LQhrUeFcc

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 10:46 PM

I did a little reading and found out the Kirkland brand of EVOO gets good reviews and California Olive Ranch gets very good reviews. Both are easy to find. Walmart carries the California brand. Unfortunately, the Pompeian I have been using gets a number of sub-par reviews and is even called a fake olive oil, which they say is bad for you. I think I'll be changing brands.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 10:58 PM

The California brand is another one we do every so often. Honestly when cooking, I can't tell a difference in that, the Texas brand or the Pompeian, and I feel like we cook with alot. Only time I didn't like one was dipping bread in it, it could've been that Pompeian...

Our United usually has 5 or 6 different brands I think as long as it's not the cheapest, in a dark, glass bottle, you'll probably be good.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: olive oil - 01/25/21 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
I did a little reading and found out the Kirkland brand of EVOO gets good reviews and California Olive Ranch gets very good reviews. Both are easy to find. Walmart carries the California brand. Unfortunately, the Pompeian I have been using gets a number of sub-par reviews and is even called a fake olive oil, which they say is bad for you. I think I'll be changing brands.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We use the California Olive Ranch brand.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: olive oil - 01/26/21 12:23 AM

Different grades of olive oil boils down to When the olive was harvested. Some may be picked at a later which affects the taste.
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: olive oil - 01/26/21 01:26 AM

I can hardly taste the difference between all of the foo-foo brand olive oils. Kroger brand extra virgin is fine with me!
Good luck with your search!
Posted By: Team Skeeterless

Re: olive oil - 01/26/21 01:43 AM

Extra virgin get better stuff but it’s not cooking oil mostly. Regular olive oil or clarified butter is better for cooking or combine the 2 for higher smoke points. Use EV for marinades, dressings, finishing oil or dips and get quality stuff.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: olive oil - 01/26/21 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Team Skeeterless
Extra virgin get better stuff but it’s not cooking oil mostly. Regular olive oil or clarified butter is better for cooking or combine the 2 for higher smoke points. Use EV for marinades, dressings, finishing oil or dips and get quality stuff.

Agreed. My sainted Italian mother would go through a gallon tin in a month or less.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: olive oil - 01/26/21 01:52 AM

Have been using the Kirkland brand (Costco) of olive oil - regular and extra virgin - for years and years. No complaints. Good quality, good price.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: olive oil - 01/26/21 02:56 AM

McEvoy Ranch
Posted By: 96speed

Re: olive oil - 01/26/21 03:06 AM

We switched to avocado oil a while back.Little higher smoke point but pretty similar really. I used Chosen but will probably get Kirkland next time I'm in the market.
Posted By: DI

Re: olive oil - 01/26/21 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by WAWI
A bunch of olive oil is fake

Yep, watched a documentary where the Italian mafia has a huge fake olive oil racket out of Italy. They make MILLIONS selling fake oil to the rest of the world.
Bada Bing.
Posted By: DCmac

Re: olive oil - 01/27/21 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Indianation65
...------

Why not just put the whole bottle in?
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: olive oil - 01/27/21 09:28 PM

Mr. Fishslime,
I did not write it, therefore I cannot answer your question.
I just happen to see a cooking show once talking about olive oil, and that there are plenty of fakes out there.

Mr. DCmac,
I guess you could.

...------
Posted By: Bassman_78

Re: olive oil - 01/27/21 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Team Skeeterless

Yep
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum