Texas Fishing Forum

Anyone Got Intermittent Stream Fish Stories?

Posted By: DCmac

Anyone Got Intermittent Stream Fish Stories? - 01/23/21 08:44 PM

Any good (or not-so-good) stories about fish caught in those intermittent stream/creek pools that always have water even when the rest of the stream/creek has dried up?

Stopped at a very rural county road bridge to let the hound leave her mark someplace new and while lazily looking at the pretty big pool of water upstream noticed a school of 10-15 fairly large fish doing circuits around the pool. Couldn't clearly see them, I assume they're carp. Will post follow-on some day when I make the time to wet a line in there.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Anyone Got Intermittent Stream Fish Stories? - 01/23/21 08:57 PM

Septic tank escapees! roflmao
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Anyone Got Intermittent Stream Fish Stories? - 01/23/21 09:01 PM

Just wanted to let you know that I don’t.
Posted By: DCmac

Re: Anyone Got Intermittent Stream Fish Stories? - 01/27/21 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by T Bird
Septic tank escapees! roflmao

When I was a kid, long before the EPA put a stop to it, local small towns dumped their raw sewage into the rivers. Some of those flushed goldfish grew to phenomenal size. Caught my PB rainbow trout directly in a flowing sewage pipe. I was a poor kid 8-10yo, no way to measure or weigh, it took everything I had in me to pull it up on the bank. Was easily +2X bigger than my largest largemouth, and I've pulled in a few big ones.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Anyone Got Intermittent Stream Fish Stories? - 01/28/21 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Sawhorse
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: Anyone Got Intermittent Stream Fish Stories? - 01/28/21 02:51 AM

There was this pool at the creek that runs through our lease. It was no kidding full of 3-5lb bass and carp. Every good rain washed down more fish but the bass stayed. It was great. Then some redneck that joined the lease caught, kept ate everything out of the pool. He was kicked off the following year. Just saw our first bass back in the pool. Miss those days of wearing them out on whatever you threw.

Also, there is a mine pool. Sometimes on wet years big perch come about. We use our fly rods and wear them out. Took the boy out there a couple years ago, fun stuff.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Anyone Got Intermittent Stream Fish Stories? - 01/28/21 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sawhorse

roflmao
Posted By: fish4bass

Re: Anyone Got Intermittent Stream Fish Stories? - 01/28/21 03:26 AM

Watched a Roland Martin show today where he was catching shell crackers and blue gill up to one pound on the big O. He Was having a blast and kept saying what good eating they are as he released them. I have et' a truckload of them. He is correct.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum