Texas Fishing Forum

Gun / ammo possession

Posted By: Siberman

Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 09:21 PM

Asking for a friend .

Let's just say that a parent died and left you with several long guns and a box full of ammo ( including .45 black talons ) .

Where would you take the guns to get their numbers cleared and what would you do with the unnecessary ammo ?
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 09:24 PM

What do you mean by "get their numbers cleared?"
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 09:25 PM

I would put the guns in your friends safe and give the ammo to me .. for safe keeping of course .

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 09:26 PM

A grinder or dremel will usually clear those numbers right off FYI
Posted By: Gusick

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 09:27 PM

I would not remove the serial numbers. They will appear stolen if you try to sell them to a dealer. It's probably illegal too.

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson

Making sure that they're not stolen or used in a crime .
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 09:30 PM

I would say the Sheriff's office.
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 09:31 PM

If they are nice guns they will probably keep them and say they are stolen.
Posted By: Emit R Detsaw

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 09:31 PM

Take them to your local LEO to run the numbers and they will dispose of the ammo if that is what "friend" is wanting to do. Unwanted guns could be sold privately or turned in the LEOs.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Siberman

I would hope my parent was better than that.

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 09:42 PM

@ Gusic :No chit Sherlock

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 09:44 PM

And those black talon 45s are not illegal by the way if you were worried about that . They just stop making them because of a specific shooting
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 09:46 PM

they should write down the make/model of the gun and ser. #

take said list to local pawn shop and see if they can run it, if they can't or won't then sheriffs office. I would not have them in my possession if there is any question about legality.

or so a friend told me to tell your friend, if you would. grin
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 09:47 PM

That unnecessary ammo will bring about $80 a box right now. Maybe more. Throwing away perfectly good ammo in the midst of a national shortage is downright mean.

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
That unnecessary ammo will bring about $80 a box right now. Maybe more. Throwing away perfectly good ammo in the midst of a national shortage is downright mean.

He’s not gonna thro it away he’s gona give it to me
Posted By: Gusick

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 09:53 PM

It would be unusual for the FBI to know the serial number of a gun used in a crime without being in possession of it. I don't know who keeps a database of guns reported stolen. Most stolen guns don't get reported. Most guns in the US aren't registered, only a few states have registration.
Posted By: NoconaBrian

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 09:54 PM

Only way I know of to make sure they weren't used in a crime is for them to be sent off and tested, easiest way to do that is to get pulled over for a DWI with them in your back seat. You may or may not ever get them back.

As far as I know unless you have a buddy with some pull at a small station, nobody is going to check any serial numbers out of kindness.
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 09:54 PM

why would you think they were stolen or used in a crime?
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 09:56 PM

I would treat them as if they were tools, furniture, photos, or anything else I inherited. If questioned, I would refer them to my attorney.... Leka Madeek

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by UGLYSHCTICK
I would treat them as if they were tools, furniture, photos, or anything else I inherited. If questioned, I would refer them to my attorney.... Leka Madeek

roflmao

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 10:10 PM

Posted By: Chris B

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 10:13 PM

Really no need to do anything.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 11:40 PM

Dang there are some hard headed people on here.
Listen close
There is no such thing as gun registration
No such thing as the government knowing who owns what
No need to take inherited guns unless class 3 to any place to have transferred
No need to get personal information from a buyer or seller in a person to person
You can legally ship a firearm person to person in the same state.
You can chose to use an FFL to sell a gun to another person but it is not required
When you fill out a 4473 form to buy from an FFL your information is not recorded in any database, the type or model of gun you buy is not put in a data base.
Form 4473 are not allowed to leave the place of business. If a serial number trace is required an agent or LEO comes to the place of business and finds the original 4473. A copy is then taken if needed.

I do think registration of some models may be in our future but the politician have a hard road to travel 2nd amendment rights cross party lines further than any other subject.

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by 9094
Listen close
No need to get personal information from a buyer or seller in a person to person
You can chose to use an FFL to sell a gun to another person but it is not required
When you fill out a 4473 form to buy from an FFL your information is not recorded in any database, the type or model of gun you buy is not put in a data base.
Form 4473 are not allowed to leave the place of business. If a serial number trace is required an agent or LEO comes to the place of business and finds the original 4473. A copy is then taken if needed.

I do think registration of some models may be in our future but the politician have a hard road to travel 2nd amendment rights cross party lines further than any other subject.

this ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

and in Texas if buying thru an ffl and you have a chl/ltc you fill out the form and it gets filed, no call made for check. just went thru this and it was super easy.
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/12/21 11:52 PM

Yeah, good luck with this one. I got an edumacation in this today. I'm okay with not worrying about it.

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/13/21 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW

I would hope my parent was better than that.

Was referring to prior owners , dipchit .
wink

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/13/21 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Davis

Yeah, good luck with this one. I got an edumacation in this today. I'm okay with not worrying about it.

thumb

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/13/21 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by UGLYSHCTICK

grin
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/13/21 01:16 AM

Asking for a friend .

Let's just say that a parent died and left you with several long guns and a box full of ammo ( including .45 black talons ) .

Where would you take the guns to get their numbers cleared and what would you do with the unnecessary ammo ?

In all my years of being around guns I have never seen anything called "Unnecessary Ammo!" noidea hmmm confused 3
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/13/21 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong
Listen close

and in Texas if buying thru an ffl and you have a chl/ltc you fill out the form and it gets filed, no call made for check. just went thru this and it was super easy.

cheers

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/13/21 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66

In all my years of being around guns I have never seen anything called "Unnecessary Ammo!" noidea hmmm confused 3

The person in question doesn't own a .45.
Posted By: Chuck72

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/13/21 02:57 AM

https://www.hotgunz.com/

This is the best one I have found. I was about to buy a python a few years back and it showed up on that site. Ultimately it was returned to the owner. This site requires the person who lost said gun to register it at the site. It is not all inclusive and it’s been a while since I have used the site. I would say asking local LEO to run it on the FBI’s NCIC would be the most complete method.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/13/21 03:39 AM

Was your dad in a crime gang? R U? Do you have any reasonable suspicion of your father's collection?
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/13/21 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66
Originally Posted by hopalong
Listen close

cheers

Best synopsis I've seen on these boards !
Posted By: 9094

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/13/21 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Gusick
I would not remove the serial numbers. They will appear stolen if you try to sell them to a dealer. It's probably illegal too.

Correct very illegal. Go to jail card federal offense.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/13/21 04:23 AM

Virtually no one used to know their serial numbers.....I'd put anything I was given up in my safe and never mention it again.....the ammo is not remotely illegal and I would buy it if you don't want it
Posted By: 2 Bee'z

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/13/21 05:05 AM

$125 a box on the smelegal ammo. It only becomes illegal if you send a firing pin into a primer and at that point you meant it so what is the worst that can happen.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/13/21 05:06 AM

Just tell your friend to spread the word around the neighborhood that you have guns, and a guy will show up named Bob!
He buys guns no questions axed!

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/13/21 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by RayBob

Was your dad in a crime gang? R U? Do you have any reasonable suspicion of your father's collection?

Sorry you didn't get the point of the freakin' question .

Re: Gun / ammo possession - 01/13/21 12:28 PM

I wouldn't worry about it if the estate can give a complete list of what your friend is getting. put them in the safe or in use without worrying about it.
© 2021 Texas Fishing Forum