Texas Fishing Forum

LED Headlights

Posted By: Topwater2

LED Headlights - 12/20/20 03:18 AM

Have any of you switched out your headlights to plug-n-play LED headlights? If so, who or where did you get them?
Posted By: FishinDonkey

Re: LED Headlights - 12/20/20 03:42 AM

I have twice * (emphasis on the footnote). FIrst was on a 2015 Toyota 4Runner, worked perfectly, easy to install, they are expensive, but comes with a 5 year warrenty, and look really nice. 100 % plug and play.... I ordered those amazon....
worked SO well and was SO easy, I decided to do it again, and it even says "universal" on the box, blah blah, and tried to do it on a 2005 Tahoe, plugged them in, and nothing happened....went back to Orileys where I bought them this time, and they said "oh sometimes it isnt compatable" - they didnt want to give me a refund,because they were dirty after i attempted to install----- even thought I asked if these would work with my car and they said yes---- but- they ultimately did after they sold me a conversion kit- which the wires had to be splcied together---- still didn't work- and i raised hell and they gave me all my money back....... guess my only point is, universal doesn't mean universal, and I have no idea why the toyota worked pefectly, and the tahoe wouldn't..... althought the tahoe was much older....

I dont remember the brand otherwise I'd post a link.....but, I do remember they were expensive....i'd say around $85, maybe? I did this about 2 years ago....toyota lights still running well.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: LED Headlights - 12/20/20 03:50 AM

If you're looking to get the best on the market and ones that won't cause blinding to oncoming traffic, look into Diode Dynamics.

They are the best I've used and seen in the aftermarket. They also stand by their product and have very fast shipping.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/
Posted By: hopalong

Re: LED Headlights - 12/20/20 10:55 AM

keeping my round eye projector type, I like how wide they are since it helps with spotting critters at night (lights their little eyeballs up really well)
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: LED Headlights - 12/20/20 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
keeping my round eye projector type, I like how wide they are since it helps with spotting critters at night (lights their little eyeballs up really well)

Nothing beats a projector.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: LED Headlights - 12/20/20 01:30 PM

I used these from Sylvania, improved visibility at night tremendously. Bought them from Oriellys for about $100.00.

https://www.sylvania-automotive.com...EgdXc7QIVE4eGCh2f3gnoEAAYAiAAEgJmP_D_BwE

Posted By: kjwolvy

Re: LED Headlights - 12/20/20 03:20 PM

I've found universal fit means it doesnt fit anything in the universe.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: LED Headlights - 12/20/20 03:22 PM

I think they should be regulated properly. They are blinding and more dangerous on the road than drunk drivers.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: LED Headlights - 12/20/20 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by kjwolvy
I've found universal fit means it doesnt fit anything in the universe.

roflmao
Posted By: Siberman

Re: LED Headlights - 12/20/20 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by outfishdya
I think they should be regulated properly. They are blinding and more dangerous on the road than drunk drivers.

^^^ this

On the days I drive my car to work , I hate meeting the lifted trucks with all four lights on . I've had to pull over on more than one occasion .
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: LED Headlights - 12/20/20 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Siberman
Originally Posted by outfishdya

^^^ this

On the days I drive my car to work , I hate meeting the lifted trucks with all four lights on . I've had to pull over on more than one occasion .

People who drive with their fog lights on when it's not foggy are the worst! I wish the automakers would make those automatic, because clearly, people are too stupid to figure out how to turn them off and on at appropriate times.

I have had LED lights on both my Soul and now my Sonata...love them, but they are also not the kind that blind you. The first ones that hit the market were dangerous as all get out.
Posted By: Cast

Re: LED Headlights - 12/20/20 05:40 PM

Buncha old ladies up in here.
Posted By: BassFever

Re: LED Headlights - 12/20/20 05:46 PM

I will NEVER buy another vehicle without it having Led headlights.
Posted By: Moto-Moto

Re: LED Headlights - 12/20/20 06:58 PM

LED lights should be illegal. They blind the ..... out of me.

Re: LED Headlights - 12/20/20 07:04 PM

These will be going in a Tacoma to help this ol man see a little better at night. I need brighter and better lights when I'm launching. roflmao

Re: LED Headlights - 12/20/20 07:39 PM

Anyone familiar with Headlight Experts? $100 a set, plug and play, and lifetime warranty.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: LED Headlights - 12/20/20 07:41 PM

Jeep Wranglers from around 2007-2017 are notorious for having weak headlights. If you own, or plan on owning one of these vehicles, upgraded headlights are a must if you do much driving at night.
Posted By: Techfisher

Re: LED Headlights - 12/20/20 08:35 PM

I retro fitted some LED headlites in my 2001 Ram. You do NOT want to just plug in led bulbs especially if you have halogens in there now. The light pattern is wrong and that's why they are blinding to people. LED's work best in a projector style housing. Most newer vehicles seem to come with projector housing even tho they are using halogen bulbs. Some folks retro fit HID's which can be a hit and miss proposition. It again depends on your housing. You will need to modify your stock housing to accept the shrouds and the bulbs and you will need to make room for ballasts and a relay setup to hook into your factory light wiring. HID's and LED's draw more power so you don't necessarily want to use your stock wiring hence the relay setup. And with all of the computer control modules in newer cars you need to watch out for error codes poping up due to different voltages being drawn by HID's or LED's....it confuses the poor old computer...:) I'd do some research and find out what brand bulbs people are using in the vehicles like yours. There is a ton of info out there about folks who have switched over to LED's. And if you already have projector style housings there are probably people who have tried out a ton of bulbs already and can save you a bunch of time and frustration.

I put a set of Morimoto M-LED 2.0 bulbs/housings into an aftermarket housing for my Dodge. Cost was about $600.00 for everything. I went with the high end Morimoto's because I didn't not want all of the "extra" stuff like ballasts and igniters that were necessary with the aftermarket HID setups. Check out the HID Factory for different lights for your ride. They are out of Houston. The other suggestion of Diode Dynamics is good as well.

I like my LED's but it did take some tweaking to get them lined up right but they are 100 times better than my old stock headlights and the Gen2 Dodges were known for having crappy headlights.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: LED Headlights - 12/20/20 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Moto-Moto

flehan
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: LED Headlights - 12/20/20 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW

flehan

You olds shouldn’t be out driving anyway. Aren’t y’all supposed to be staying home so you don’t die of the rona?

Re: LED Headlights - 12/20/20 09:05 PM

They are, unless installed at the factory. They are not DOT legal when installed into a housing designed for halogen, or even HID. The few that are legal aftermarket, are sold as a complete housing, where the housing is designed to properly aim the light source.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: LED Headlights - 12/20/20 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by elcoyote, esq.

flehan

You olds shouldn’t be out driving anyway. Aren’t y’all supposed to be staying home so you don’t die of the rona?

Rona fears me.
Posted By: Donpilot

Re: LED Headlights - 12/20/20 09:32 PM

I hope the people with the bright lights can see because nobody else can.

Re: LED Headlights - 12/20/20 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Donpilot
I hope the people with the bright lights can see because nobody else can.

About 4 outta 5 with those “bright lights”, actually have less useable light where it needs to be. They actually can’t see as well WITH them vs before.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: LED Headlights - 12/20/20 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

They are, unless installed at the factory. They are not DOT legal when installed into a housing designed for halogen, or even HID. The few that are legal aftermarket, are sold as a complete housing, where the housing is designed to properly aim the light source.

good to know, thanks.
thumb
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: LED Headlights - 12/21/20 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted by hopalong

Nothing beats a projector.

Yep, if you don't do a retrofit with projectors you will be one of those idiots blinding on coming vehicles. Do it right and replace the whole headlight assembly. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Brent S

Re: LED Headlights - 12/21/20 02:25 AM

I have almost decided to flash my high beams at all the ultra bright headlight people. They blind me all the time!
Posted By: Moto-Moto

Re: LED Headlights - 12/21/20 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by elcoyote, esq.

flehan

I already whipped it's @ss once. taz
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: LED Headlights - 12/21/20 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Brent S
I have almost decided to flash my high beams at all the ultra bright headlight people. They blind me all the time!

I have more than high beams if they blind me. I can hit them with 72" of flood spot combo led bars. If they are behind me my led cargo lights do a good job. I have used them on tailgaters at night. Not like the KC daylighter i had facing back on roll bar on one truck but they send the message. I can skin and quarter a deer with them. Putting led bulbs in halogen housings is illegal in some states and won't pass safety inspections.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: LED Headlights - 12/21/20 04:57 AM

I have hids but I point them so they dont blind people. I had LEDs but switched back after one went out pretty quick. Also, be careful with LEDs, they are not good for the factory wiring if they didnt come stock. Maybe if you get the relays or whatever that would help but plugging them straight in will burn up your wiring. The LEDs get super hot and that heat travels down the wire I guess. I only had mine for maybe 6 months and my wire was starting to look bad
Posted By: Allison1

Re: LED Headlights - 12/21/20 05:04 AM

I am looking to get my headlights upgraded with a new housing and hopefully focused leds.

What I am seeing is housings that use standard bulbs. The couple that I have seen that included leds had bad reviews saying the leds were not better than stock.

If somebody knows where I can find a good housing that has focused led or one I can upgrade to led, let me know.
2000 Dodge 2500.
Posted By: Tommar

Re: LED Headlights - 12/21/20 11:46 AM

Can’t stand how bright many are now. I don’t know if they are really checked at the safety inspection any more. I suspect not.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum