Texas Fishing Forum

Nope not for a $4 golf ball

Posted By: Kicker16

Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/15/20 03:39 PM

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/watch-florida-golfer-refuses-abandon-175325429.html
Posted By: COFF

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/15/20 03:54 PM

Play it as it lies.
Posted By: Emit R Detsaw

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/15/20 03:58 PM

Gartors on the courses in Florida were a fun obstacle. My dad came down to play once and seeing him try to rush a shot while a little 4 footer snarled at him from about 8 feet away still gives me a good laugh.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/15/20 04:00 PM

Today I learned, Golf Balls cost $4.00.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/15/20 04:05 PM

Good think it wasn't a McRib Sandwitch from McDonalds!!!

Would have been people diving on the poor gator.
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/15/20 04:13 PM

We live across the street from a golf course, the amount of time people spend looking for balls is astounding. I certainly don't consider myself a great golfer but it's really mind blowing watching folks day in and day out.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/15/20 04:38 PM

The big ones aren't that fast turning backwards. woot

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/15/20 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Spiderman

Some of the better ones do. cheers

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/15/20 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by NoconaBrian
We live across the street from a golf course, the amount of time people spend looking for balls is astounding. I certainly don't consider myself a great golfer but it's really mind blowing watching folks day in and day out.
[Linked Image]

This DA is playing it off the street? hammer
Posted By: Jon

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/15/20 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66
[Linked Image]

Is it proper protocol to replace your divot in the asphalt after taking that shot?
Posted By: RO519

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/15/20 04:48 PM

Not when you live down the street from a course and train your Labrador retriever on the course and pick up any that you find after hours.

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/15/20 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jon
[Linked Image]

Is it proper protocol to replace your divot in the asphalt after taking that shot?

That has to be a little rough on the clubs! thumb
Posted By: Patriot7Six

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/15/20 04:52 PM

Golfing on a budget...
Posted By: GTrigg

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/15/20 07:29 PM

Once played a course in Delhi, LA called Black Bear GC. Yes, it was called that for a reason and no, I didn't look for any golf balls in the woods. I did see a big bear walking across a fairway, but it wasn't the hole I was playing.

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/15/20 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by RO519

Not when you live down the street from a course and train your Labrador retriever on the course and pick up any that you find after hours.

You can do one better than that. Train him to wait until they are stuffing their clubs back into their bags and then dart out and pick up the ball from the fairway.
Posted By: JWRid

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/15/20 09:29 PM

My wife managed a golf course in Virginia that abutted the James River. Lots of wild life on and around the course. One of the holes had a Fox that on occasion would sit just off the fairway near the green. When a ball landed on the green the Fox would run out pick up the ball, and then run off. A year or so later the head greens keeper told me that they had found the Fox den and inside were at least three dozen or more golf balls. I know the Fox took more balls than that just not sure what he did with them.

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/15/20 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by JWRid
My wife managed a golf course in Virginia that abutted the James River. Lots of wild life on and around the course. One of the holes had a Fox that on occasion would sit just off the fairway near the green. When a ball landed on the green the Fox would run out pick up the ball, and then run off. A year or so later the head greens keeper told me that they had found the Fox den and inside were at least three dozen or more golf balls. I know the Fox took more balls than that just not sure what he did with them.

Well that was sly of him/her to do that! woot
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/15/20 10:09 PM

[Linked Image]

Hope he didn't come down to steep on that shot.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/15/20 10:24 PM

The course in Sedona, AZ has a "no penalty" drop rule for OB shots. Too many rattlesnakes surround the course.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/15/20 10:25 PM

Prolly hit the curb

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/15/20 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fishin' Nut
The course in Sedona, AZ has a "no penalty" drop rule for OB shots. Too many rattlesnakes surround the course.

Not sure it was a formal rule, but we practiced the same at the public course in Midland. The "rough" was untouched natural desert. Rock hard dirt, lots of snakes, and even more cactuses. Every type of native plant growing out there had thorns or stickers. Plus there was a huge prairie dog town in there. There would be times you hit a perfect shot down the middle of the fairway and your ball would just disappear into a prairie dog hole.
Posted By: Popedaddy

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/16/20 02:58 AM

Played Hogan many times. Never went to far from the fairway for sure. Those thorns are a beast especially if you step on one.

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/16/20 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by popedaddy
Played Hogan many times. Never went to far from the fairway for sure. Those thorns are a beast especially if you step on one.

Yeah the course the PGA plays the San Antonio match on has some serious rough on it! bolt
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/16/20 03:15 AM

Stupidity at it's best. nuts
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/16/20 05:31 AM

[Linked Image]

If that is Sheridan St. I may owe you a window or 2.
Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/16/20 09:30 AM

We once looked at a foreclosed house next to a golf course . The back yard had a few dozen golf balls in it and while we were there talking about the hazards of stray golf balls a golf ball bounces off the roof and landed in the yard , we laughed and told the realtor that we would need to look for something else .
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 12/16/20 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Duke 22
[Linked Image]

If that is Sheridan St. I may owe you a window or 2.

It doesn't happen to us as much as some of our neighbors, it takes a screwing up pretty good to hit ours. There's one down by the tee box that finally put up a sheet of plywood in a window and just painted it. We got in a big fight with Ricky the course director early this spring so out of spite, I haven't been on it since March. That guy's an idiot.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 01/20/21 04:31 PM

When I was in college for extra money I would dive the water traps to recover golf balls and then sell them to the pro shop for 15 cents a piece. My goal was to find 1,000 golf balls a trip in four water hazards. I met my goal on almost all my trips. They would pay ($$) me regardless of condition. Some were very nice and others had smiley cuts in them and/or water logged. Then one day I saw a huge snapping turtle on the shores of one of the water traps. When you are "looking" for golf balls in water traps there is no "looking" involved. You are just feeling around in the mud until you find a ball and put it in a mesh sack.

I had thoughts of sticking my hand in that turtles mouth and getting some fingers bit off. That was my last golf ball recovery trip.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 01/20/21 07:15 PM

nuts
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 01/20/21 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Allen Bass Fisher
When I was in college for extra money I would dive the water traps to recover golf balls and then sell them to the pro shop for 15 cents a piece. My goal was to find 1,000 golf balls a trip in four water hazards. I met my goal on almost all my trips. They would pay ($$) me regardless of condition. Some were very nice and others had smiley cuts in them and/or water logged. Then one day I saw a huge snapping turtle on the shores of one of the water traps. When you are "looking" for golf balls in water traps there is no "looking" involved. You are just feeling around in the mud until you find a ball and put it in a mesh sack.

I had thoughts of sticking my hand in that turtles mouth and getting some fingers bit off. That was my last golf ball recovery trip.

I’ve seen guys diving golf course ponds many times, it’s not for me
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 01/20/21 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by COFF
Originally Posted by Fishin' Nut

Not sure it was a formal rule, but we practiced the same at the public course in Midland. The "rough" was untouched natural desert. Rock hard dirt, lots of snakes, and even more cactuses. Every type of native plant growing out there had thorns or stickers. Plus there was a huge prairie dog town in there. There would be times you hit a perfect shot down the middle of the fairway and your ball would just disappear into a prairie dog hole.

when working on the prison in ft stockton we would go play the local course with the project engineer, he was a golfer while the rest of us were beer drinkers.

you had to watch where you stepped due to the snakes, guy that ran the ball cart on the driving range said he picked up one or 2 a week when gathering balls in the cart.
we killed at least 3 a day on the job, bigun was almost 8', was in a stack of lumber one morning. labor foreman carried an 870 in his cart.
Posted By: JRGOCARDS

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 01/20/21 11:21 PM

Guy should invest in a ball retriever (my favorite club when i played). Telescope it out to 12 feet and grab the ball.

JR
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 01/20/21 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by JRGOCARDS
Guy should invest in a ball retriever (my favorite club when i played). Telescope it out to 12 feet and grab the ball.

JR

I was actually going to start a ”Are ball retrievers ghey?” poll. But when I read the “telescope it out to 12 feet and grab the ball” line, I had the answer.
Posted By: Dognot

Re: Nope not for a $4 golf ball - 01/21/21 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jon
[Linked Image]

That has to be a little rough on the clubs! thumb

Played with my brother-in-Law once, He had a shot like this. He swung and sparks flew where he grounded the club on the cart path.

When I asked him what club he was using he said "YOUR 8 IRON"
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum