Texas Fishing Forum

Biscuit from the can

Posted By: junbengreat

Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 02:10 PM

Has anyone ever had those cans you open up with the biscuit dough blow up? First tome this morning. Hand is stinging just a bit.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 02:16 PM

Pop a bit, not blow though.

I like the canned buttermilk ones. Hate the flaky ones (don't soak up the butter well.
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 02:19 PM

I've had one explode in the refrigerator.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by junbengreat
Has anyone ever had those cans you open up with the biscuit dough blow up? First tome this morning. Hand is stinging just a bit.
Call the Texas Hammer. I’m smelling new boat!
Posted By: kennerdude

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 02:21 PM

Never what you just experienced. If we buy canned biscuits we normally use within a couple of weeks.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 02:38 PM

This reminded me of a story I heard years ago, it goes like this

My brother just called, who is Memphis Police Officer. He said let everyone know that Memphis Police Department received an alert this morning from a reliable source that a Gang Initiation is starting today and will be going until the end of December. The gangs are instructed to ask someone for directions and then shoot them. He says they seem to be targeting women.

Everyone pass the word, and be careful. A lady named Linda went to Arkansas last week to visit her in-laws, and while there, went to a store. She parked next to a car with a woman sitting in it, her eyes closed and hands behind her head, apparently sleeping. When Linda came out a while later, she again saw the woman, her hands still behind her head but with her eyes open. The woman looked very strange, so Linda tapped on the window and said “Are you okay?”

The woman answered “I’ve been shot in the head, and I am holding my brains in.”

Linda didn’t know what to do, so she ran into the store, where store officials called the paramedics. They had to break into the car because the door was locked. When they got in, they found that the woman had bread dough on the back of her head and in her hands.

A Pillsbury biscuit canister had exploded, apparently from the heat in the car, making a loud explosion like that of a gunshot, and hit her in the head. When she reached back to find what it was, she felt the dough and thought it was her brains. She passed out from fright at first, then attempted to hold her brains in.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by David Welcher

My brother just called, who is Memphis Police Officer. He said let everyone know that Memphis Police Department received an alert this morning from a reliable source that a Gang Initiation is starting today and will be going until the end of December. The gangs are instructed to ask someone for directions and then shoot them. He says they seem to be targeting women.

Everyone pass the word, and be careful. A lady named Linda went to Arkansas last week to visit her in-laws, and while there, went to a store. She parked next to a car with a woman sitting in it, her eyes closed and hands behind her head, apparently sleeping. When Linda came out a while later, she again saw the woman, her hands still behind her head but with her eyes open. The woman looked very strange, so Linda tapped on the window and said “Are you okay?”

Linda didn’t know what to do, so she ran into the store, where store officials called the paramedics. They had to break into the car because the door was locked. When they got in, they found that the woman had bread dough on the back of her head and in her hands.

A Pillsbury biscuit canister had exploded, apparently from the heat in the car, making a loud explosion like that of a gunshot, and hit her in the head. When she reached back to find what it was, she felt the dough and thought it was her brains. She passed out from fright at first, then attempted to hold her brains in.

I immediately thought of this story too.
Posted By: Davedave

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 03:01 PM

This sounds very frightening. I hope you can put this biscuit experience behind you and lead a fruitful life from here on out.

I bet you have nightmares. Biscuits are not child’s play. It’s a real mans job.
Posted By: Icepick

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 03:06 PM

Hungry Jacks. Always popped when opening.
Loved them when I was a kid. Haven’t had any in years.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 03:26 PM

Switched to Walmart frozen buttermilk buscuits long ago.
Posted By: Patriot7Six

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
Switched to Walmart frozen buttermilk biscuits long ago.

Same here, the frozen ones are 1 step down from homemade. The canned ones are OK if you are in a pinch but not my favorite.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 03:35 PM

I would suggest jun that for your safety and the safety of those around you that you change to these. you will thank me later and still be able to use both hands.

[Linked Image]

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 03:48 PM

Lesson learned
Posted By: Chug-bug-bang1

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 04:08 PM

I still like the pop, first sign that a big breakfast is a comin food partyon
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted by David Welcher

I immediately thought of this story too.

woot

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
I would suggest jun that for your safety and the safety of those around you that you change to these. you will thank me later and still be able to use both hands.

[Linked Image]

food

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by junbengreat

Heck I have to push in at the seam with my thumb to get them open.

Most people call them "Whop" biscuits because you have to whop them in the counter to open them. bannana2
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 04:18 PM

I had something simular happen, but not biscuits....................dang Carrot Stick fishing rod.

Was fishing on Falcon years back when Carrot Stick Rods were popular. Hearing Shots on Falcon was kinda popular too.

Fishing a Carolina Rig I set the hook and all I hear is bag. I dropped to the bottom of my boat thinking I'd been shot at. Then I realized it that that stupid Carrot stick rod, sounded just like a gun shot.
Posted By: PondFish

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 04:18 PM

When I worked for Tom Thumb in the late '70s there were a number of instances where tubes of bisquits were spontainiously bursting open while thay were still on the shelf or in the cooler.
Turned out that it was happening all over the country. They were eventually able to trace it back to one plant. Something was causing the dough to ferment.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong

[Linked Image]

Awesome! food

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by PondFish
When I worked for Tom Thumb in the late '70s there were a number of instances where tubes of bisquits were spontainiously bursting open while thay were still on the shelf or in the cooler.
Turned out that it was happening all over the country. They were eventually able to trace it back to one plant. Something was causing the dough to ferment.

We have had them pop on occasion in our refrigerator and they were not out of date. gumshoe
Posted By: Space

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 04:51 PM

I had them pop open in the fridge.
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 04:58 PM

What exactly does "blow up" mean regarding a can of refrigerator biscuits?

"Blow up" vs "pop" really hard, you hurt your hand?

Maybe the "louder than usual pop" make you twist your hand some certain way, or did the pop/opening of the actual can impact your hand so much it hurts?

I've never had a package explode that hard, but many did give loud pops and thrusts.

...------

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Indianation65
What exactly does "blow up" mean regarding a can of refrigerator biscuits?

"Blow up" vs "pop" really hard, you hurt your hand?

Maybe the "louder than usual pop" make you twist your hand some certain way, or did the pop/opening of the actual can impact your hand so much it hurts?

I've never had a package explode that hard, but many did give loud pops and thrusts.

...------

Enough pressure to make dough fly everywhere.
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 05:03 PM

I understand.

No, I've never had one open that severely, but I believe it.

Prayers for the safety of you and your family!

...-----
Posted By: Beak47

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 07:22 PM

I like the frozen ones cause you can cook one or two or more as needed. Then just close up the bag.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/15/20 07:50 PM

Happened to my MIL a week or so ago with a can of cinnamon rolls. She told the story, and my wife and BIL both said it was too bad it didn't knock an eye out or something so she could have gotten a settlement.
Posted By: DCmac

Re: Biscuit from the can - 12/16/20 06:03 PM

Yep, had it pop a few times as I was tearing off the label layer. More surprising than anything else.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum