Texas Fishing Forum

Oil Change Blunder

Posted By: Jeremyworm

Oil Change Blunder - 12/02/20 02:30 PM

Had my oil changed last Monday. Was driving yesterday and noticed the smell of burning oil. Looked at the oil pressure gauge and it read 0. Pulled over to the side of the road to kill it and as I did engine started knocking slightly. Noticed the drain plug was gone and oil pouring out. Probably 1.5 quarts or so drained out. Went to Autozone and bought a drain plug and oil. Put new drain plug in and added oil. Started it up and the knocking was gone but check engine light was on as I figured it would be. Went back and checked my trail and it was leaking for about half a mile. I have driven it about 40 miles since adding oil and everything seems fine. My question is what additional maintenance should I have done if any? Also what is the oil change place liable for if anything? Think I got lucky on this one that I noticed it pretty quick. 2007 Chevy with 160,000 miles. Also this establishment is the only one who has touched my vehicle for oil changes for over 5 years and no other repairs have been done in the last 3 years.
Posted By: Davedave

Re: Oil Change Blunder - 12/02/20 02:32 PM

It has been my experience that they last longer if they have oil.
Posted By: kjwolvy

Re: Oil Change Blunder - 12/02/20 02:32 PM

It started off wrong with "had my oil changed".
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Oil Change Blunder - 12/02/20 02:36 PM

After owning the Tundra for 7 years and always having the service work done at Toyota.

I had the same experience. They crimped the gasket on the oil filter and 0-20 oil drained out quickly. They changed the filter and oil again. No charge for any of the service and driven another 10,000 miles without any issues.

You just have to pay attention to everything, it can happen anywhere.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Oil Change Blunder - 12/02/20 02:40 PM

the guys at my oil change place double check each other.

Re: Oil Change Blunder - 12/02/20 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by kjwolvy
It started off wrong with "had my oil changed".

I agree. Been saying for years I should just go back to doing it myself after hearing of others’ issues with some places but have not. I am for sure now though.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Oil Change Blunder - 12/02/20 02:57 PM

Hope it didn’t do any damage.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Oil Change Blunder - 12/02/20 03:19 PM

Once you put a new plug and oil in it. The oil change place is off the hook. Should have called them to send a wrecker. Now there is no way of proving they screwed up
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Oil Change Blunder - 12/02/20 03:22 PM

I could be wrong on this one, but probably would have been best to put it on a tow truck and head back to the oil change place.
Once you put your hands on it, you might have your self in a spot where the shop disputes things. With the tow truck, you also have a 3rd party witness who can testify the trail of oil and such.

I've been getting my oil changed at places as well. But I never drive far afterwards and always do an inspection my self. Too many horror stories like yours.
Posted By: ringer

Re: Oil Change Blunder - 12/02/20 03:26 PM

Had my Tundra serviced at the Toyota dealer for the last five years as I had an extended warranty. Last oil change they called and had me pick the truck up and I drove it 3 miles to my shop. When I got in to go home I noticed the oil gauge was on zero. Checked and not a drop of oil. They forgot to put the new oil in. After a month of haggling they sent me a letter guaranteeing the engine for another 12000 miles. Runs great still but I am nervous. No more oil changes at the dealer.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Oil Change Blunder - 12/02/20 03:36 PM

I had a place (was pressed for time and took it somewhere close to where I worked at the time) put either the wrong filter or a faulty one in my car years ago. Took it to my regular place and they replaced the filter for $10. The filter looked like a tin can a kid had shot up with a BB gun. My wife drives that vehicle now and it’s been fine for close to 100,000 miles since that incident.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Oil Change Blunder - 12/02/20 03:39 PM

There is damage, to what extent you will not know unless the bearings are inspected. More than likely it will run a long time with it damaged, I have had too many engines apart to count with some pretty ugly crankshafts and scored pistons that ran fine until they were houred out and needed a rebuild. When you hear knocking, imagine dragging a 2000lb steel block across a sheet of tin alloy with no lubrication.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Oil Change Blunder - 12/02/20 03:45 PM

Oil change guy at the dealership . . . the last hired and paid the least with the least experience and probably the same guy that rotated my tires and only hand tightened the lug nuts.

Re: Oil Change Blunder - 12/02/20 04:31 PM

Thanks guys. Guess I will chalk this one up to should have done it myself to make sure it is done right.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Oil Change Blunder - 12/02/20 04:36 PM

Wouldn’t hurt to contact the oil change place anyway to let them know what happened. If you drove that far I don’t see anyway that it wasn’t completely empty.
Posted By: Buchbass2

Re: Oil Change Blunder - 12/02/20 04:36 PM

Paid for the high priced synthetic because that what the truck needed, after telling them this I walked in the back and they were putting the cheap oil in, chewed them out good, been changing it myself ever since.
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Oil Change Blunder - 12/02/20 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
I had a place (was pressed for time and took it somewhere close to where I worked at the time) put either the wrong filter or a faulty one in my car years ago. Took it to my regular place and they replaced the filter for $10. The filter looked like a tin can a kid had shot up with a BB gun. My wife drives that vehicle now and it’s been fine for close to 100,000 miles since that incident.

My wife would have been driving that car the next day too Duck_Hunter. thumb
Posted By: Siberman

Re: Oil Change Blunder - 12/02/20 05:53 PM

Got a new motor for my '97 F-150 . Made it about 1/4 mile before it locked up . Seems like they forgot to attach the transmission . bang
Posted By: Canino

Re: Oil Change Blunder - 12/02/20 06:25 PM

I once had an oil change place fail to remove the old gasket that was stuck to the block, so there wasn't a good seal and it blew all the new oil into the fan and then all over the engine compartment. The light came on within 1/4 mile of the place and I went straight back so no damage done. Honestly I was more angry about about the solid gallon of oil coating everything under the hood.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Oil Change Blunder - 12/02/20 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by ringer
Had my Tundra serviced at the Toyota dealer for the last five years as I had an extended warranty. Last oil change they called and had me pick the truck up and I drove it 3 miles to my shop. When I got in to go home I noticed the oil gauge was on zero. Checked and not a drop of oil. They forgot to put the new oil in. After a month of haggling they sent me a letter guaranteeing the engine for another 12000 miles. Runs great still but I am nervous. No more oil changes at the dealer.

I would have requested a lifetime warranty on the engine. I change my own fluids after too many issues at dealership to list. Fumoto valve on pan makes it easy.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Oil Change Blunder - 12/02/20 09:03 PM

I think you caught it in time. Oil still coats the cylinder walls and bearings for a short period of time.

I would call it lesson learned and do it myself.
Posted By: wyliepirate

Re: Oil Change Blunder - 12/02/20 09:05 PM

Sorry to hear this, never fun. Hopefully you caught it in time and all is well.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum