Texas Fishing Forum

HVAC

Posted By: 1ShotNoKills

HVAC - 11/30/20 12:16 AM

Any professional HVAC guys on here?

Trying to size my unit (giggle) and duct work.

Built a 50x50x12ft wall metal building that will be foam insulated. Framing up 25x25x8ft walls for 2 bed/baths and the rest of the building will all be open and heat/cooled.

Wanting to run 1 big exposed duct the length of the ceiling from peak to peak for the main open area and then a few small to each bedroom and bath.

How big should my unit be?
Posted By: Flyfisherman

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 12:20 AM

Yes
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 12:25 AM

An expensive one
Posted By: Beer Money

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 12:25 AM

You putting that on the property you recently purchased?
Man, that's gonna be nice!
Posted By: 1ShotNoKills

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Beer Money

Yes sir

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 12:36 AM

I like it...
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 12:41 AM

That is nice.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 12:48 AM

I bet that'll require a pretty good sized unit. Maybe when Hop gets back from Vacation he can vive you a good idea, he knows alot about units. Nice Place.
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 12:52 AM

I thought it'd be bigger.
Posted By: brent1

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 12:53 AM

5 ton will get it. Potential Problem with what your wanting to do will put shop odors and fumes in your bedrooms.
Posted By: Davedave

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 12:54 AM

I have a big unit.
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 12:56 AM

I remember finding a AC tons per square foot calculator a while back. The thing I have to say that may be considered useful or useless, no matter what they (AC people) say, get a larger unit if you like cold temps. A variable speed AC can run on a lower speed and still remove humidity. Then it can run full blast and cool your barn to 68 during the 105 summers we have.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 01:37 AM

Use twice as much insulation as you think you need. It's cheap and will save you a fortune on electric bills over time.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by 1ShotNoKills
Originally Posted by Beer Money

Yes sir

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I like that retaining wall. Looks very nice!
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 01:42 AM

Use ductless units in the bedrooms so you’re not wasting electricity or air when no one is using them. I have one in my home office and it’s awesome. Efficient and quiet.
Posted By: Davedave

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Use ductless units in the bedrooms so you’re not wasting electricity or air when no one is using them. I have one in my home office and it’s awesome. Efficient and quiet.

1shot, do you want to be a man with a big unit, or be like this guy with his little unit?

You make the call.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 01:47 AM

Nice building, looks good. Who built it? I have been talking with several metal building guys recently while I have been working in that area.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 05:02 AM

I wouldn't put one big unit on it (even if one would do it?) as Duck_Hunter said you will wasting a lot of electricity when you don't need it. cheers
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Davedave

1shot, do you want to be a man with a big unit, or be like this guy with his little unit?

You make the call.

Actually, knowing one shot from his post history, I was suggesting one big unit and a few smaller ones.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Davis
That is nice.

thumb
Posted By: Dave-0

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 02:50 PM

Im tending to agree, break it down into 2 smaller units. You'll be pulling return air from the shop areas which will be dirtier and full of pollutants-allergens. Have you considered mini split systems for a better zone control?

And thats a sexy building you got there 1Shot.
Posted By: Dave-0

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 03:00 PM

I can hear it now...1Shot and family about to go home and he spits out...

Ok family, its time to go back to "Z-Crib."

roflmao roflmao roflmao

bolt
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 03:00 PM

Who needs a big unit when you already have a big deck?!
Posted By: Donpilot

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 03:44 PM

Too large of a unit will cool to fast and not remove the humidity. Ever been in a house that is cold but you are still 'clammy'. To big of a u NJ it.
Posted By: kw565

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 04:14 PM

THIS/\
Posted By: Trickster

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by fishmagnet
Who needs a big unit when you already have a big deck?!

azn
Posted By: RayBob

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 05:07 PM

600-800 sq ft per ton is the old figures with good insulation. I've been out of it 30 years+.

Poor insulation got 400-450 sq ft per ton. Are you conditioning just the 25x25?
Posted By: Buchbass2

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 06:16 PM

I have one of the split ducts in my house, works great.
Posted By: jon doe

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 07:33 PM

4.5 Ton Package heat pump
Posted By: FishinDonkey

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 09:22 PM

masters license in hvac. retired. there are multiple factors needed to run a j-calc to give you an official answer. color of the roof, shading coeffect of windows, number of windows, cardinal direction of the windows, pitch of roof, U or R factors of every material , etc etc. I have a manual J and manual M calc program saved in excel where you can enter the exact details and get the exact heat loss calculations to size properly.... pm me if you want it.....it wont be stamped obviously - but its a lot of work and probably not worth your time-----with that said. going by "rule of thumb" - i wouldn't go lower than 4.5 tons, if I were you, I'd go for a 5 ton system and maybe even a 1.5 ton ductless split on top of it, throw an option 3/4ton for each bedroom....metal dark roof - may get hot..... also- if you aren't going to live in this building- go for window units- sure they cost most to run- but the break even point between paying a ducted/ or ductless system, VS window unit- youre talking about hundreds of dollars to install 3 window units, vs thousands of dollars to install a true system.....

also you're going to get a lot of different answers here....but here's the truth about SEER, manual J, etc. If you turn your thermosat lower than 75 degrees in the summer, or higher than 72 in the winter, you are "outside" of the parameters the unit is designed for. very few people enjoy their home at 75 in summer, so if you followed a manual J, you would be very disappointed.....also ASHRAE has engineers design for the 98% temp range.... IE the temp will 98% of the time be betweeen X and Y degrees in XYZ month---- and it takes into account day and evening, its within 24 hours......so- if its 100+ outside, you are outside of the 98% paramters..... it also takes into account how often it rains, cloudly, etc etc.... Ill copy and paste one for DFW so you can see what im talking about...... either way- anyone installing the system for you should be able to do a basic rule of thumb and size it.....

i got out of the business in 2012 - things may have changed- but- thats my .02.....

http://ashrae-meteo.info/v2.0/index.php?lat=32.898&lng=-97.019&place=%27%27&wmo=722590&ashrae_version=2017
Posted By: RayBob

Re: HVAC - 11/30/20 09:37 PM

Easy link from Fishin Donkey's post:

Linky
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum