Texas Fishing Forum

Feral Hogs

Posted By: uncle_bagster

Feral Hogs - 11/29/20 11:38 PM

Nothing new here; I'm posting this in case some of the forum members are named in the article:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-tackles-wild-hogs-high-120028593.html
Posted By: B-rader

Re: Feral Hogs - 11/30/20 12:34 AM

Like it coming out of my neck of the woods. Evertime I go out its always groups of 30 to 40. We like hu ting them but they jack up our fields
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Feral Hogs - 11/30/20 01:05 AM

If I never saw another one it would be fine by me
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Feral Hogs - 11/30/20 01:59 AM

I bet I have personally terminated around 300 or so and have not come remotely close to tipping the scales in my neck of the woods. realmad
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Feral Hogs - 11/30/20 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by WAWI

Myself included.

I saw three different groups of 10-12 each today at different times in the field directly behind my house, no telling how many more were cruising my other wheat fields. I can't count on all my fingers and toes how many I have shot off the back porch the last two years. The destructive critters need eradicating. The TPWD biologist up here told me that unless you consistently kill 70% of the group when you see them, your efforts are in vain. I think he may be right, a friend of mine killed over 300 last year on his coastal fields, and has not made much headway. Best I recall it was in about 1985 or 86 when I saw the first group around here. You would see them 3-4 times a year then. Two years later it was monthly sightings, now it is multiple times per day. I hate the bastages.
Posted By: H.Town_paddler

Re: Feral Hogs - 11/30/20 05:27 AM

Hoax
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Feral Hogs - 11/30/20 06:15 AM

Hope you are overrun with those bastards.
Posted By: Canino

Re: Feral Hogs - 11/30/20 06:55 AM

I had an uncle who was a ranch manager in the Hill Country. His ranch was all goat-fenced with heavy wire and they had cleaned out all the hogs, but he told me the other ranchers and managers around him were always complaining about hogs tearing up the fences and the feeders, and killing the young quail and turkeys.

I asked if he'd call around and see if I could go shoot some, so he made a bunch of phone calls. Every rancher said I was more than welcome to come kill hogs - as long as I paid for a day lease. And they weren't talking about a token $20 either. Not one was willing to let a free hunter clean off some hogs for them.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Feral Hogs - 11/30/20 12:41 PM

Hop is doing his part in the hog eradication effort. smile
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Feral Hogs - 11/30/20 01:33 PM

I had a patient a few years back and got pretty close with the family. They had large land holdings between Beaumont and Houston and were overrun in some of their pastures. They got one of those helicopter hunting services to come in for a month. They took out about 4,000 pigs. control lasted about 2 years and the last time I talked to them their hog problem is as bad as ever.

Then their Hurricane Ike in 2008 and its coastal plain storm surge that flooded inland as much as 20-30 miles of prime feral hog country drowning untold thousands of hogs in Jefferson and Cambers Counties (also in La. in Cameron Parrish). Now the population is as great as ever. A ride in a 4 wheeler down the McFaddin Refuge beach from High Island to Sabine pass and you'll see dozens to hundreds of pigs scavenging the beaches.

Re: Feral Hogs - 11/30/20 01:34 PM

Map of Hurricane Ike flood surge:

[Linked Image]

Re: Feral Hogs - 11/30/20 02:33 PM

There needs to be some professional control done statewide. They had a poison to use on them but there were some issues with it being spread to other animals. I'm thinking if we can miraculously come up with a COVID vaccine in a year, surely we can fins a magic potion for the porcine population.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Feral Hogs - 11/30/20 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Bee'z

Hope you are overrun with those bastards.

They are thick this year, worst I have seen them. And they have got getting in pens down to an art

Re: Feral Hogs - 11/30/20 04:45 PM

Then there's hitting one on the highway. They'll can do more damage to your car than a deer.

Re: Feral Hogs - 11/30/20 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by uncle_bagster
Then there's hitting one on the highway. They'll can do more damage to your car than a deer.

A Camry hit a few of them a few miles from my house, it was totaled. The road looked like a serial killer was out there with a machete.
Posted By: Beak47

Re: Feral Hogs - 11/30/20 05:39 PM

I have seen less in Central Texas this year which is said to be because of the drought creating smaaler sounders. Biologist also said that coyotes have been affected too because their normal prey like deer and small animals have suffered losses. On these moonlit nights the coyotes are still pretty vocal so I wonder if the biologist was wrong.
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Feral Hogs - 11/30/20 06:02 PM

Just about the time I get all damage repaired the bastages come back and hit again. I've counted as many as 50 on my place.

Re: Feral Hogs - 11/30/20 08:56 PM

I am pretty lucky that on my west fence there is a 6,000 ac. lease and probably 20% of the members have hog dogs and they keep the numbers down and the hogs moved out. I see a little sign now and then but haven't seen a pig on this place for over 10 years.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Feral Hogs - 11/30/20 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by TCK73
There needs to be some professional control done statewide. They had a poison to use on them but there were some issues with it being spread to other animals. I'm thinking if we can miraculously come up with a COVID vaccine in a year, surely we can fins a magic potion for the porcine population.

Poisons aren’t selective in what they kill. That’s the problem. Some other animal will get into it and die, so you can’t control, say, a protected or endangered species from eating it. Then, birds will eat the carcass and die from the poison. Poison has too many possible negative side effects to be used.

Re: Feral Hogs - 11/30/20 11:05 PM

Here's the way they handled these things back in the 1930's. The snowflakes would never allow such a thing today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI9lwE4hnAw
Posted By: Davedave

Re: Feral Hogs - 11/30/20 11:43 PM

How do you expect pigs to volunteer to get the vaccine? Those SOBs don’t cooperate real well on my lease. I shoot them in the face for eating corn, and 10 more show up.

Re: Feral Hogs - 12/01/20 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Davedave

How do you expect pigs to volunteer to get the vaccine? Those SOBs don’t cooperate real well on my lease. I shoot them in the face for eating corn, and 10 more show up.

roflmao
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Feral Hogs - 12/01/20 01:17 AM

slinger
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum