Texas Fishing Forum

Dodge Truck?

Posted By: jbassman

Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 12:31 PM

Never owned a Dodge truck, owner’s please give me your thoughts. Looking at 2020 longhorn
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 12:35 PM

I have a 2017 and I love it. Zero issues so far.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 12:40 PM

Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 01:01 PM

Dad has a 2018 and hasn't had any issues. It's a smooth riding truck.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 01:04 PM

I have a 2018 RAM Power Wagon 6.4 Hemi. I love it.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 01:40 PM

I love the side boxes which stores most everything to free up the back of the truck. I was carrying two folding lid boxes to store all this stuff which takes up a lot of bed space.
Posted By: tech

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 01:59 PM

Best riding and quietest on the road.
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by jbassman
Never owned a Dodge truck, owner’s please give me your thoughts. Looking at 2020 longhorn

That’s exactly what I will be looking next March! I saw and drove one the other day. I didn’t realize how nice those longhorn interiors are! Dang
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 02:55 PM

Just ordered a 2021 and can’t wait for the thing to get here. We always have one available to us to pull our camper and every time I go get it I’m very impressed. I’ve never owned a Ram but these new ones are impressive.

This is the first time I’ve ever ordered a new vehicle and as cool as the process is, the wait is killing me.

I’d say go for it.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 02:59 PM

I have a Dodge for a work truck, it's the best one I've ever had. Gas mileage isn't very good but I ain't paying for it.
Posted By: DillonCan'tFish

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 03:01 PM

I have owned a few Dodges. A 1500, a couple of 2500's, and a Charger Daytona. Nothing newer than 2010, but the common issue with all of mine was little nick nacky stuff breaking or just quitting. Window switches, seat adjusting motors/tracks, power mirror switches, interior light covers falling off, airbag/seatbelt modules going bad. They all ran good and were reliable but all the little things drove me nuts and they were so dang expensive to fix. The OEM seat fixture/track was over $600! I don't know how the new ones are, but if I was shopping for one, I would really research the little stuff before making a decision. Those new fancy touch screens look like they would cost a pile of cash to replace if it decided to quit. My wifes audio/gps/screen and climate controls are all one touch-controlled panel and it terrifies me!

Good luck with your search and congrats on whatever you get! New trucks are sweet these days.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 03:01 PM

Unless you really need the extra bed space, be sure to get the Ram Boxes. Handiest things ever. I've got a 2019 2500 with the Cummins and I'll get 20 - 21 MPG on the highway and 17 - 18 around town. Pulls my 22 foot Ranger like it isn't even back there.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RO519

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 03:05 PM

I don't own a dodge or ram or whatever they are calling them now, but I have heard that the side boxes on the bed squeak/rattle going down the road. The 60/40 tailgate split thing doesn't look good either.

From the pictures I've seen, the interior on the new ones seems pretty nice.
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 03:07 PM

I bought a 2015 Ram 1500 new. It has been a reliable truck. I only have 60,000 easy miles on it. I have a 3 mile commute to the office. The rest is weekend fishing or camping trips.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 03:25 PM

Here is my 2003 5.9 4x4. I have loved this truck and will probably get another dodge when I trade this one. I am really surprised at how good the paint has held up. Current mileage is 156500.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: flippnpitch

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 03:37 PM

I had a '94 Dakota. I drove it for years, sold it to my nephew. Neither of us had issues with it. I think it had a little over 200,000 miles on it when he parked it.

I have a 2003 1500. It has a little more than 278,000 miles. I still drive it, and it drives good.

Now I have a 2019 1500. So far so good.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 03:44 PM

I have owned 1 Dodge 1500. Everything on the exterior of the truck was perfect, the engine and drive train was perfect. Just everything on the inside of the truck was [censored]. Radio stopped working twice while still under warranty. Dash lights kept going out, window switches would stop working, power seat stopped working. All this while it was still under warranty. 3 days after my warranty expired the dash lights went out again. Took it back, made them fix it and traded it in.
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 04:05 PM

I'm on my third had a 99, a 2012, and now a 2016 I've loved each one, would still be in the 2012, but totaled it. The hemi has tons of power and pulling my boat (which is only a 18') is like there is nothing behind me. The screen that controls the radio/ac/heat, ect is easy to use. Very comfortable ride. The one I drive now is a Lone Star edition and it has some perks my old ones didn't.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 04:08 PM

I have never owned a Dodge or Chrysler product in my lifetime
Posted By: Dave-0

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 04:31 PM

Have an old '98 Cummins dually that I still drive pretty much everyday. The only thing major I've had to change was
the transmission. Shes cranky when its cold, but once warmed up, purrs like a grizzly bear. Got 375k + miles on her and she just keeps going. Lol, she definitely has "personality" at this stage in the game. Last half a year that made that particular motor. Still gets 0-60 in under 2 minutes. Lol. Wouldnt trade her for the world.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 05:16 PM

We have a 2500 '17 or '18 Ram in our work fleet. It's been solid with no mechanical or cosmetic problems at about 70k miles. My only issue with that one is that it tends to jump down two gears when it downshifts in tow/haul mode to go up even minor hills nomatter how I feather the gas peddle. This may be necessary with major loads and more substantial hills but it's excessive with most of the towing I've done with it and the high engine revving just gets annoying in rolling hills. Other than that personal annoyance, it's an awesome work truck.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 05:33 PM

2017 Ram 3500 6.7 diesel w/manual transmission

Only complaints:
- The quality of the leather on the seats is very poor. I can't believe how fast they went down hill.
Get seat covers and take them off for date night and other special occasions.

- My #1 dislike - The reverse gear. It's geared way to high. Reverse needs to be a creep not a sprint. Especially with a manual transmission and backing trailers, I can get some clutch burning. Already replaced the clutch once.

- You got the hump in the back floor board. I miss having that flat floor in the backseat.

Other than those few things, it's been a good truck so far.
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 05:44 PM

My BIL has like a 2018 or 2019, whatever year was first to have the giant touch screen. Anyways, he likes it and hopes to pass it to his son in 6 years as his first truck.

I tend to look at RAMS as fat girlfriends. I don't want one. I'm waiting for the 2021 F150 or maybe I can wait long enough for the redesigned F250.
Posted By: BassFever

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 05:47 PM

99 and 01 1500's both were ok trucks. Both needs new transmissions though. I believe Ram has fixed that issue. Only thing that sucks is the MPG for the 5.7 gas. It will NOT get what the sticker says it will.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 05:47 PM

I have a 2003 that came with self imploding dash board. Other then that I have no complaints.
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 05:51 PM

Whenever Fiat bought out Chrysler, I think that is when the RAM trucks turned a new page. It was something like 2015 or so. It'd be impossible to compare anything older to the new generation of trucks.

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by cocodrie
Whenever Fiat bought out Chrysler, I think that is when the RAM trucks turned a new page. It was something like 2015 or so. It'd be impossible to compare anything older to the new generation of trucks.

I have a 2009 Larami that is spot on. Runs great looks great. And the interior is awesome.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by bloo_rainger
I have a 2003 that came with self imploding dash board. Other then that I have no complaints.

I had the same dash, but I had it totally replaced 2 years ago. It`s nothing that a smooth $1000 wouldn`t fix and I got it done from a friend instead of taking it to a dealership.. It`s just the cost of doing business. Mine was not as bad as some I have seen.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 09:05 PM

Have an 18 and can't wait to get rid of it.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 09:25 PM

I've only had one dodge truck. Made it to 40,000 miles before it threw a rod through the oil pan. 4,000 miles out of warranty and dodge told me to pound sand. Thing spent more time in the shop than on the road.
Posted By: greenen

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 09:29 PM

2013 Laramie 4x4. 130K on it now. Manifold bolts leaking but fixed under warranty at 80K. Transmission sensor went out but also fixed under warranty. No other problems. Ram boxes which I like. Still drives well. Burns gas like a mofo.

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by TPACK
Originally Posted by bloo_rainger

I had the same dash, but I had it totally replaced 2 years ago. It`s nothing that a smooth $1000 wouldn`t fix and I got it done from a friend instead of taking it to a dealership.. It`s just the cost of doing business. Mine was not as bad as some I have seen.
[Linked Image]

Mine looks like a broken jig saw puzzle. I bought a carpeted dash and just covered it up. Yours looks good.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by RedRanger
I have never owned a Dodge or Chrysler product in my lifetime

+1, I had a Dakota rental with the V8. That truck would run. I looked at a Ram once when they had the stupid hood ornaments. I asked sales dude if I could get one without it. He said he could take it off. I said so can I and there will be a hole. I passed.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 09:55 PM

2018 RAM. POWER WAGON 2500 as stated earlier ,wanted to add at the time Dodge was offering Lifetime bumper to bumper factory warranty I got $8000 off MSRP and paid $2600 for the lifetime warranty that covers EVERYTHING the 36 month warranty does for $50 deductible per visit. Multiple repaired can be done in one visit. That is why I bought it other than wanting a nice daily driver. I will drive it till I’m dead since I won’t ever have to pay for repairs I probably would have bought a Chevy 2500 gas if that lifetime warranty and $8 grand off wasn’t on the deal. I love the Power Wagon it has amazing off road capability for a big truck , gives up towing capacity but rides great
Posted By: Tsunami_1

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 10:41 PM

Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by ReelSlow
2018 RAM. POWER WAGON 2500 as stated earlier ,wanted to add at the time Dodge was offering Lifetime bumper to bumper factory warranty I got $8000 off MSRP and paid $2600 for the lifetime warranty that covers EVERYTHING the 36 month warranty does for $50 deductible per visit. Multiple repaired can be done in one visit. That is why I bought it other than wanting a nice daily driver. I will drive it till I’m dead since I won’t ever have to pay for repairs I probably would have bought a Chevy 2500 gas if that lifetime warranty and $8 grand off wasn’t on the deal. I love the Power Wagon it has amazing off road capability for a big truck , gives up towing capacity but rides great

That's too cool. I have an associate that works with me and his dad has a half ton Ram with that same warranty. He said they keep trying to buy the truck back from him but he won't sell it. LIFETIME warranty...... That's just awesome.

Which one of you is going to get the TRX?
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 11:15 PM

nope
Toyota
Posted By: Mark C

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/19/20 11:59 PM

2013 RAM Express 5.7L only problem it's ever had was a shift solenoid failure covered under warranty. Still runs and drives like new.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/20/20 01:02 AM

I have a 2009 4x4 I bought new.. I love it! My wife drove it for a while when our son started driving. She wanted one so in 2014 we bought her a Laramie 4x4 she still loves it. I also have a 2016 4x4 work truck. Three vehicles in the drive way all Dodge Ram 4x4 pickups. Yes we love our Dodges! And all have Hemi’s.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/20/20 01:30 AM

I have a 2009 Ram Crew Cab Sport. Bought it when Chrysler was going bankrupt and got a lifetime power train warranty. Has111k miles, exhaust manifolds replaced under warranty at about 80k, passenger side window actuator replaced at about 90k..............That's it.....Oil, gas, tires, and two batteries.....Been a great truck.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/20/20 02:29 AM

Loved my 08 3/4 Ton 4WD Mega Cab. Hated the AC that no one could fix. After three years A/C problems, Traded it on a Tundra, which is hands down the best pickup on the road as long as you don’t mind the poor gas mileage.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/20/20 02:33 AM

Ok this might hurt some feelings.
I have a 2019 1500 lone star 5.7 motor.
Good: runs decent. Good acceleration for passing. All manners of gadgets to learn. Highway mileage is pretty good.
84,000 miles.
Not so good: seats are terrible. I have to make 12-15 hour runs all the time and the seats about cripple me. A gel wheelchair pad helps a little.
Brakes need replacing.
Shocks are done in.
If I just drove around town it would be ok but it isn’t staying nearly as tight as my 16 F150.

Better than the last GM trash but not equal to the Fords.
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/20/20 03:01 AM

I just got back from St. Louis yesterday. I traded my 2016 Rebel which had 80,000 flawless preforming miles and one little complaint about the drivers side elbow rest cracked, but I loved it I averaged 16.5 mpg there. I drove home in a 2021 Laramie 1500 ecodiesel 4x4, averaged 26.9 mpg on the way home and had a $&!# eating grin the whole drive home.
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/20/20 03:17 AM

I used to work at a Ford/Dodge dealership as a tech. Been to every Ford school and alot of the dodge schools. Couldn't give me a Dodge.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/20/20 12:17 PM

Dodges may be alright until you work them. I had a handful of guys at work plead their case and beg for one. Those eight guys were wanting their F350’s back within a year. The rattles, front end repairs, differential replacements, cracked beds, sagging frames, and some transmission problems were more than annoying. These were 2015 year models.
Posted By: Pinkus

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/20/20 01:39 PM

2001.. had a few dodges, all good trucks.. fords are gay and chevys are flaming gay
Y.... just saying

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Moto-Moto

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/20/20 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dave-0
Have an old '98 Cummins dually that I still drive pretty much everyday. The only thing major I've had to change was
the transmission. Shes cranky when its cold, but once warmed up, purrs like a grizzly bear. Got 375k + miles on her and she just keeps going. Lol, she definitely has "personality" at this stage in the game. Last half a year that made that particular motor. Still gets 0-60 in under 2 minutes. Lol. Wouldnt trade her for the world.

[Linked Image]

Man that thing would bring some serious cash right now
Posted By: Zipster

Re: Dodge Truck? - 11/20/20 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B
I've only had one dodge truck. Made it to 40,000 miles before it threw a rod through the oil pan. 4,000 miles out of warranty and dodge told me to pound sand. Thing spent more time in the shop than on the road.

I had a similar thing happen with my '07 Ford F-150. 2k out of warranty. Ford told me to do the same. I have a 2014 F-150 now and love it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum