Texas Fishing Forum

anybody experiencing shortage of shotgun shells?

Posted By: beartrap

anybody experiencing shortage of shotgun shells? - 11/13/20 11:16 PM

I like to shoot winchester AA 20 gauge super sporting clays shells for dove hunting and typically I buy from Bass Pro,Rogers Sporting goods or Mack's prairie wings and all threee are out of stock...also noticed many other brands of shells were out of stock also...
anybody know what's going with that?......
Posted By: Gourdbuster

Re: anybody experiencing shortage of shotgun shells? - 11/13/20 11:23 PM

It's an election year with a projected democrat winner.

I worked at Cabelas in 2008/09 and the same thing happened after the election, shelves were bare, people lined up every day to buy anything we had.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: anybody experiencing shortage of shotgun shells? - 11/13/20 11:28 PM

Got plenty. Several cases.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: anybody experiencing shortage of shotgun shells? - 11/14/20 12:19 AM

some available here but not winchester.

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/shotgun-ammunition/20-gauge-ammo
Posted By: Jon

Re: anybody experiencing shortage of shotgun shells? - 11/14/20 12:23 AM

Shotgun shells is about all you can find on the shelves at a lot of places and likely not AA or remington heavy dove loads. Best to stock up well ahead of an election. This time has been the craziest I can ever remember. A couple years ago wouldn't have been too early to stock up. I don't need any and if it came down to it would load my own but on shotgun shells that got to where it wasn't cost effective years ago. I still have some 1-3/8 oz #5 duck shells I loaded up back when you could still shoot lead. Those things would knock the snot out of a duck!
and probably other critters as well.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: anybody experiencing shortage of shotgun shells? - 11/14/20 12:44 AM

Wal mart here had plenty last week.
Posted By: kennerdude

Re: anybody experiencing shortage of shotgun shells? - 11/14/20 12:48 AM

Best to stock up monthly for the next 20 years
Posted By: 9094

Re: anybody experiencing shortage of shotgun shells? - 11/14/20 01:14 AM

There is a shortage on all ammo. The run in may caught the manufacturers off guard and it is impossible to catch up. Shortage of primers, which is the slowest and most dangerous part of componet making is the major problem.
It is going to be a while before they catch up. The companies I work for say 12 to 15 months IF sales stay at current rate.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: anybody experiencing shortage of shotgun shells? - 11/14/20 01:19 AM

I just looked up the last order I got for 1,000 5.56/855/lap from IMI and it is more than double what I paid.

same goes for pmc xtac green tips, paid 425 I think with shipping for the last 1k and now they are 780.00

this is beyond stupid, pistol ammo is even worse, can't find any kind of .40 not even fmj that is worth buying, can't even find any .380 yet.

I am plenty good for now, I think this is gonna be like the run on ars when obie was elected, bunch of folks are gonna end up with ammo and no weapon to shoot it in. hoarders suck
Posted By: silvers

Re: anybody experiencing shortage of shotgun shells? - 11/14/20 01:29 AM

Other ammo I’m good, I buys shotgun shells as I walk by, I shoot a lot of shot gun shells, I have 12 flats right now
Posted By: Fourjs

Re: anybody experiencing shortage of shotgun shells? - 11/14/20 01:46 AM

My hobby is shooting sporting clays. I’ll shoot 4,000-6,000 registered targets a year.

For 12 gauge, I have a specific shell that I like to shoot. Only when I get in a bind, will I buy something different. I have 3 Academy’s that I visit for shells. So far, I’ve been able to keep plenty stored up. Right now I’ve got around 2,000 on hand. That’s after shooting 1,000 in 5 days in San Antonio last month. Sometimes I’ll go several weeks before my shell is back in stock, but I’ve been able to find enough this year. I shoot a few hundred 20 & 28 gauge every year but I never have problems finding them when I need them.

Academy’s are feast or famine. Sometimes the shelves will be bare for all ammo. Other times there’s lots. Even pistol rounds. Guess you’ve got to hit the right day. A few years ago, they’d stock up on dove loads end of August and first few weeks in September. Still do but not like they used to.

Academy carries AA’s but I don’t notice what they do and don’t have. They’re a little pricy for me. I would recommend going with something other than AA. For 12 and 20 gauge, I use Winchester Super Targets. They’re good shells and $2.50/box cheaper.

Jimmy
Posted By: Beak47

Re: anybody experiencing shortage of shotgun shells? - 11/14/20 02:02 AM

Were no .410 of any variety at Academy in Cedar Park Tuesday. Some 12s, 20s, and 28s but not a lot.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: anybody experiencing shortage of shotgun shells? - 11/14/20 03:49 AM

Shortages are everywhere. My local Walmart, Academy, and several other no name places are all sold out of 12 and 20 gauge shells. Also try buying pistol ammo especially 40 cal and 9mm. juggle
Posted By: Trickster

Re: anybody experiencing shortage of shotgun shells? - 11/14/20 02:21 PM

I found some 9mm in stock online. By the time you pay shipping it's close to $1 per shell. Still can't find 45 acp. Handgun I am wanting finally came in stock on one site.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: anybody experiencing shortage of shotgun shells? - 11/14/20 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Shortages are everywhere. My local Walmart, Academy, and several other no name places are all sold out of 12 and 20 gauge shells. Also try buying pistol ammo especially 40 cal and 9mm. juggle

I saw 40 cal tuesday at a place, no 9mm no 223, they had 25 06, 300 mag, no 3006, no 7mm, no 308, they had 243 too but that really doesnt count.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: anybody experiencing shortage of shotgun shells? - 11/14/20 03:44 PM

Reloading supplies are is short supply. I’m concerned it may be 6 Mo to a yr. to be able to buy large rifle primers and primers are something far to dangerous to make.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: anybody experiencing shortage of shotgun shells? - 11/14/20 08:52 PM

Huh. Interesting. Just checked on ammoseek.com to see what 30-06 is currently selling for.

They have exactly TWO sellers listed with any 30-06 in stock at all.
Posted By: 9094

Re: anybody experiencing shortage of shotgun shells? - 11/14/20 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI
Originally Posted by banker-always fishing

I saw 40 cal tuesday at a place, no 9mm no 223, they had 25 06, 300 mag, no 3006, no 7mm, no 308, they had 243 too but that really doesnt count.

you must have been in albany.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum